Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
20 hours ago, mikie said:

This is from my matchbox...It's from a 1940 War Relief fundraiser she was in.  

20201220_120344.jpg

Hi Mikie,  thanks for the photo of Rita Hayworth, here's a dance Mash-Up you might enjoy . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 22  2020.

General Apathy
10 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

And you didn't let go of the whiskey!! 

Glad you are alright!

...Kat

Thanks Kat,  pleased to have the dexterity to have held onto the whiskey and eggs . . . . . . . . . B)  I didn't want to break the whiskey as funnily enough last Christmas a bunch of friends and I were all doing Christmas shopping at the same time, Tony, Allan and I went to check out the drinks section while the ladies did the fresh product buying.  I lifted a boxed bottle of whiskey off the top self as it cleared the shelf the bottom opened and the the litre of whiskey shattered on the floor, it was going to be Tony's Christmas gift, thankfully the supermarket accepted the breakage and I only had to pay for the second bottle.  

General Apathy
10 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

Last time I slipped and fell I ended up with a new hip so I'm really carefull

Hi Robert,  sorry to hear that it was a bad fall, you obviously never served in the paratroops and learnt how to roll with the fall . . . . . . . . .  ;)

Take it easy and have a great Christmas with Boo.  :lol:

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Mentioned too on pages 50&51 in the 1970 Jeep Book by Warne and described as having been one of the highlights of the Royal Tournament in the mid 1950s...

Absolutely loved watching the Royal Tournament on TV as a kid, always looking forward to the Field Gun obstacle course competition...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tournament - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_gun_competition )

Below the pages of the book...

IMG_3352.JPG.5fd4bb71c0407fd72c705d40fba680da.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG.8d099b5807866fa017326a3191420c2e.JPG

Hi Johan,  well many thanks for thinking of adding the photos of the British display team, I think that particular Jeep went for sale about twenty years ago as the army no longer used it.  

12 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Robert,  sorry to hear that it was a bad fall, you obviously never served in the paratroops and learnt how to roll with the fall . . . . . . . . .  ;)

Take it easy and have a great Christmas with Boo.  :lol:

Oh I did a great paratrooper drop and roll, I should have just fell on my rump.

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Leigh, pleased you're back again, nice to hear that you made it to Normandy with your father, you don't mention your fathers age when you visited was he old enough to have served over here. Pleased to have you here to read and enjoy the posts. ;)

I wasn't going to make mention of this but as you say it's been a tough year for everyone, as I type this my brother-in-law is being cremated in the UK he died of Cancer the 16th December, sadly I am unable to travel there to support my sister and say goodbye, all cross channel ferry services are cancelled due to the virus. Eric worked hard over four years raising money and overseeing the village hall rebuild and renovation, again sadly none of the villagers. and friends are allowed to attend the cremation and send off.  

My thoughts are with the many other people who are all in similar circumstances at this time. 

Ken,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your brother. He is at Peace now and is free of pain...

My father was not in Europe during WW2, however he served in the Korean War with the 7th Infantry Division. One of the reasons we wanted to visit was because one of his Uncle's was with the 69th Infantry Division, 272nd Infantry Regiment "BATTLE AXE". He was killed in action during the battle of Leipzig in April 1945 and is buried in Margraten Cemetery. We were hoping to get a chance to visit his grave but time did not permit this. I was however able to reach out to a forum member who was kind enough to photograph his grave for us. 

I hope you are not too sore from the slip and fall...

Best regards and Blessings Ken,,

Stay safe 

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Rakkasan187 said:

My deepest condolences on the loss of your brother. He is at Peace now and is free of pain...

My father was not in Europe during WW2, however he served in the Korean War with the 7th Infantry Division. One of the reasons we wanted to visit was because one of his Uncle's was with the 69th Infantry Division, 272nd Infantry Regiment "BATTLE AXE". He was killed in action during the battle of Leipzig in April 1945 and is buried in Margraten Cemetery. We were hoping to get a chance to visit his grave but time did not permit this. I was however able to reach out to a forum member who was kind enough to photograph his grave for us. 

I hope you are not too sore from the slip and fall...

Best regards and Blessings Ken,,

Stay safe 

Hi Leigh,  thanks for sharing the information on your fathers service period, and many of the forum would thank him for that service. Pleased that someone from the forum could help with a photograph of your relatives headstone at Margraten.

My sister and her two sons had a very pleasant surprise today, when the hearse left the house to drive to the crematorium most of the village who were restricted from attending were lining the streets clapping, even when they left the village there were people along the route to the larger town six miles away that were aware of Eric and the work that he had done for the village and community.

A good memory for my sister and two sons to see the regard Eric was held in,  pity he wasn’t able to see that warmth for himself.  

Thanks also for your thoughts only fall, I have done sit up's and push up's most of my life to maintain flexibility and I have no bruises or tender spots from the fall. 

Have the best Christmas you can and remain safe . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy
5 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

Oh I did a great paratrooper drop and roll, I should have just fell on my rump.

Hi Robert,  why were you carrying rump-steak when you fell, did you bruise the steak when you fell on it . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

And another one,  WWII Jeep related greetings that is . . . . . . . . . 

Wishing all a great time and the best of what they can make it as friends and family are unable to visit. . . . . . .:mellow: 

.fullsizeoutput_8034.jpeg.a78a37bfd2345e6c2374f357d334713a.jpeg

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Leigh,  thanks for sharing the information on your fathers service period, and many of the forum would thank him for that service. Pleased that someone from the forum could help with a photograph of your relatives headstone at Margraten.

My sister and her two sons had a very pleasant surprise today, when the hearse left the house to drive to the crematorium most of the village who were restricted from attending were lining the streets clapping, even when they left the village there were people along the route to the larger town six miles away that were aware of Eric and the work that he had done for the village and community.

A good memory for my sister and two sons to see the regard Eric was held in,  pity he wasn’t able to see that warmth for himself.  

Thanks also for your thoughts only fall, I have done sit up's and push up's most of my life to maintain flexibility and I have no bruises or tender spots from the fall. 

Have the best Christmas you can and remain safe . . . . . . ;)

My sympathies to you and your family for Eric's loss.  He must have been a special person to have that kind of community expression.

Mikie

Hi Robert,  why were you carrying rump-steak when you fell, did you bruise the steak when you fell on it . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

One way to tenderize a steak.  

Mikie

On 12/20/2020 at 8:53 AM, Rakkasan187 said:

Ken,

Been a while since I have been here, many months.. life issues and other events.... It is great to see some of the new posts and photos..

One of the best topics on our forum..

Best regards and Blessings to you and our forum family

Stay safe 

Le

Considering those darned time zone thingees between us all, figured I'd say it now before I forget...

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! 

Have fun, be safe! 

Mikie

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . 

Well it's been a while since I posted any Then & Now as I haven't been able to drive around freely to look for comparisons due to the Coronavirus restrictions. . . . . :(

I've pulled these images together from my photo files while just looking through the images. The tall factory unit was demolished about fifteen years ago and new offices built on the same spot. 

So the final Then & Now images of the year. . . . . ^_^

.fullsizeoutput_80fe.jpeg.a660105461562dce1bb9e2f30227e193.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_80fd.jpeg.dada9b71db04543d872e6ac0cfa3fe31.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_80ff.jpeg.18a7ae4467d5d4a85a040cadd1e81741.jpeg

General Apathy
On 12/23/2020 at 1:20 AM, mikie said:

My sympathies to you and your family for Eric's loss.  He must have been a special person to have that kind of community expression.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  many thanks for your kind comments on my brother-in-law, I wasn't going to make any mention of his sad passing so close to Christmas but I am pleased to share here how well he was thought of by his community. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 24  2020.

General Apathy

Hi Owen,  shot of my friend Jim Dowdall ( who you worked with on ' Fury ) ' in the office ' the office in this case being the camera car, driving it around the wet and rainy circuit at 120 mph during the 2013 filming of ' Rush ' the 1976 story of British F1 racing driver James Hunt and his rivalry with Niki Lauda.

.fullsizeoutput_8100.jpeg.d8dc81475b66acef07c9b3efbb82a2d4.jpeg

Hi Ken, thinking of you at this time.

Thank you for keeping us informed and entertained on this forum. It is always a pleasure to follow your news.

Wishing you a pleasant Christmas at this difficult time.

May 2021 bring you good health and happiness...

Cheers Graham

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . 

Well it's been a while since I posted any Then & Now as I haven't been able to drive around freely to look for comparisons due to the Coronavirus restrictions. . . . . :(

I've pulled these images together from my photo files while just looking through the images. The tall factory unit was demolished about fifteen years ago and new offices built on the same spot. 

So the final Then & Now images of the year. . . . . ^_^

.fullsizeoutput_80fe.jpeg.a660105461562dce1bb9e2f30227e193.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_80fd.jpeg.dada9b71db04543d872e6ac0cfa3fe31.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_80ff.jpeg.18a7ae4467d5d4a85a040cadd1e81741.jpeg

Just what I wanted for Christmas! A Normandy Then & Now! 

Mikie

Johan Willaert

If I recall correctly the tall factory like building on the left which was torn down over a decade ago was the place Michel De Trez set up his first Normandy based AB display ‘Warriors of the Night’ in the Summer of 1994.

it was followed by larger displays in 2004 and 2014 and culminated in the D-Day experience near Dead Man’s Corner museum....

He set a new standard...

General Apathy
5 hours ago, MCDUFF said:

Hi Ken, thinking of you at this time.

Thank you for keeping us informed and entertained on this forum. It is always a pleasure to follow your news.

Wishing you a pleasant Christmas at this difficult time.

May 2021 bring you good health and happiness...

Cheers Graham

Hi Graham,  thanks for the Christmas greetings, and kind comments on this thread.

Yes Christmas also has it's difficult and tragic time with loss of family and friends, many people this year suffering especially with the added Coronavirus loses.

Whenever I send an email to your private email address it always brings the response that you are out of the office. . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

General Apathy
3 hours ago, mikie said:

Just what I wanted for Christmas! A Normandy Then & Now! 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  well I am pleased that you wanted a Then & Now. 

Here's a NOW photo, this item came out the shoebox of Christmas decorations, it really is a THEN item ( 30 years ago ) which I'm sorry to say I don't have a shot of it to hand. 

can you guess what it is . . . . . . . . . . . always came out when a bunch of us got together for Christmas or Birthdays. 

.fullsizeoutput_813d.jpeg.8130baac945641768752d5ab390f5abc.jpeg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

If I recall correctly the tall factory like building on the left which was torn down over a decade ago was the place Michel De Trez set up his first Normandy based AB display ‘Warriors of the Night’ in the Summer of 1994.

it was followed by larger displays in 2004 and 2014 and culminated in the D-Day experience near Dead Man’s Corner museum....

He set a new standard...

Hi Johan,  yes you have the building listed exactly, De'Trez used it for his temporary museum displays. The current D-Day museum at deadman's corner makes a very worthwhile visit. 

It does amuse me that a local friend here almost bought the Deadman's corner house twenty years ago to live in . . . . . . . . funny how life's events turn. 

Here's a NOW photo, this item came out the shoebox of Christmas decorations, it really is a THEN item ( 30 years ago ) which I'm sorry to say I don't have a shot of it to hand. 

can you guess what it is . . . . . . . . . . . always came out when a bunch of us got together for Christmas or Birthdays. 

Ken,

So very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Sounds like he was a wonderful person.

Since you said this item was brought out for birthdays and holidays, my guess is that it has something to do with drinking. Or maybe candles. Both are brought out at these times.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. 

...Kat

If you catch a distant scent of wood smoke, it's just me trying to think what this could be. It reminds me a little of part of a 19th century ceramic beer bottles. But pretty sure it isnt. 

Mikie

General Apathy
7 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

So very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Sounds like he was a wonderful person.

Since you said this item was brought out for birthdays and holidays, my guess is that it has something to do with drinking. Or maybe candles. Both are brought out at these times.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. 

...Kat

Hi Kat,

many thanks for your thoughts of my brother-in-law, as a teenager I was often taken along on holidays or trips with Eric and my sister, he was very much a friend alongside being a brother-in-law. ^_^

Have a great Christmas, ken 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 25  2020. ( Christmas Day )