Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
16 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Ken, why the rush? Looking at that 101st patch (which mysteriously has been blurred out in the second pic) couldn't you have just parachuted in? 😃

Rene

hahhaa Rene,  well done you spotted the difference between the two photos, however you have failed to mention the other discrepancy seen in the photos . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 21  2020.

General Apathy
18 hours ago, American Graffiti said:

Merry Christmas Ken, and everyone else who adds to this thread.

Guess it wouldn't be Christmas without some corny jokes straight out of a cracker :-)

And thank you for making it what it is with all your stories, then and now's and shoebox gems!

Stay safe everyone, heres to a Happy New 2021

AG

Hi AG,  thank you for joining in with your Christmas Greetings and kind comments on the contents of the thread.

Wishing you and yours the best possible Christmas in this crazy days. As we haven't seen snow here for the last

seven years, here's a shot of the last time we did, it just rains every Christmas season now, the flood plains are

at their limits . . . . . . . . . 

.post-344-0-40652400-1512618849.jpg.1ce56dced0f9995afeb928b8d17f22f2.jpg

General Apathy
18 hours ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Ken,

Been a while since I have been here, many months.. life issues and other events.... It is great to see some of the new posts and photos..

One of the best topics on our forum..

Best regards and Blessings to you and our forum family

Stay safe 

Leigh 

Hi Leigh,  welcome home again, I do like engaging in this thread I believe it's light and ( sometimes ) amusing and can can be dipped into at anytime and picked up again without any effort. 

Best wishes to you for the coming years. 

A few photos of local Normandy fields in previous Christmas periods. My house sits on the hillside at the rear of the last photo

.2138532770_photo3.JPG.daf05b7476d8faea59940fab0f9dc5de.JPG

.1349922132_photo5.JPG.4812d675a3a953d588c37364ccbd9e7c.JPG

.195876816_GinaBeuzevillelaBastille28Nov2010.jpg.2a3381b8b497a9cd9ebbb67ed0fb0cfe.jpg

.240938289_GinawideopenBeuzevillelaBastille28Nov2010-Copy.jpg.da0ced6a229ef9783a22758fbfecd539.jpg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

hahhaa Rene,  well done you spotted the difference between the two photos, however you have failed to mention the other discrepancy seen in the photos . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

You know I am going to spend the next hour or so staring at the two photos to see if there really are other differences!😄

47 minutes ago, BEAST said:

You know I am going to spend the next hour or so staring at the two photos to see if there really are other differences!😄

😄, I think that's exactly what he wants us to do........

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Leigh,  welcome home again, I do like engaging in this thread I believe it's light and ( sometimes ) amusing and can can be dipped into at anytime and picked up again without any effort. 

A few photos of local Normandy fields in previous Christmas periods. My house sits on the hillside at the rear of the last photo

.195876816_GinaBeuzevillelaBastille28Nov2010.jpg.2a3381b8b497a9cd9ebbb67ed0fb0cfe.jpg

.240938289_GinawideopenBeuzevillelaBastille28Nov2010-Copy.jpg.da0ced6a229ef9783a22758fbfecd539.jpg

Despite the flooding it's still beautiful over there.

12 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

I know! I immediately went back to see if there were any other differences. 😁

...Kat

Ken,

Thank you for the kind words.. It goes without saying it has been a rather difficult year for many of us, but it is relaxing to sit and look through the photos you post along with the others who have contributed to the post as well..

It takes me back to better times when my father and I came to Normandy and went across Europe touring the battlefields...

Thank you again..

Best regards and Blessings to everyone

Leigh 

I've said it before but it's worth repeating, USMF and NDL in particular are great therapy for me when I get feeling down.  It's a nice place to  get lost in for an hour or two.  

Mikie

There is a thread on the forum where some people object to the "Like" button filling their mailboxes with notifications.  Just want to check if anyone here has objections?  Personally I don't mind, but don't want to annoy any of you.  I PUN-ish you enough already.   

Mikie

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Some beautiful photos there!  

Mikie

On 12/20/2020 at 8:16 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  

Wish I had pulled this Cracker  . . . . . . . . .  Rita Hayworth. :love:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 20  2020.

.gilda_trailer_hayworth1.jpg.24fd82a08c2186266905da47fccf98d8.jpg

This is from my matchbox...It's from a 1940 War Relief fundraiser she was in.  

20201220_120344.jpg

2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

...Kat

Not me.  I well know I'm a Dr Watson compared to all the Sherlock Holmes around here.  

Mikie

3 hours ago, mikie said:

I've said it before but it's worth repeating, USMF and NDL in particular are great therapy for me when I get feeling down.  It's a nice place to  get lost in for an hour or two.  

Mikie

I totally agree! I was telling a friend at lunch today about how much I enjoy this thread and all of the posts. I love seeing the pictures from Ken and Rene. 

Mikie, I even smile at your PUN-ishment to all of us. 😁

...Kat

...Kat

General Apathy

Hi Everyone a quick post for this evening . . . . . . . . . . . 

Apologies for not replying to all of the above comments this evening, it's a rather busy evening with being so close to Christmas, hopefully with more time tomorrow I will respond. 

Anyway what I just wanted to share with you was the dangers of fruit . . . . . . . . . . . :(

I have always believed Blueberries to be in the category of ' Super-Fruits  in that they are good anti-oxidents for the body, I buy several lots of them every week and possibly try to eat some on a daily basis.

However today my involvement with Blueberries or should I state one particular Blueberry didn't end well.  I was in the supermarket and walking towards the cash desk with a Christmas gift of Whiskey in my left hand, a dozen eggs in my right hand, as I passed the greengrocery section I encountered this one Blueberry, it was squashed on the floor, unseeing it I trod on it and slipped backwards.  Without thinking about it my hands reached forwards and I buried my chin into my chest, I hit the floor flat out, whiskey and eggs extended into the air.  Thankfully the whiskey, eggs and head didn't make contact with the floor and I was up and on my way again, a minor setback and a smile on my face.

So when people always tell you that such & such would be good for you there's always the exception to the rule, and today proved it. :lol:

32 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Apologies for not replying to all of the above comments this evening, it's a rather busy evening with being so close to Christmas, hopefully with more time tomorrow I will respond. 

Anyway what I just wanted to share with you was the dangers of fruit . . . . . . . . . . . :(

I have always believed Blueberries to be in the category of ' Super-Fruits  in that they are good anti-oxidents for the body, I buy several lots of them every week and possibly try to eat some on a daily basis.

However today my involvement with Blueberries or should I state one particular Blueberry didn't end well.  I was in the supermarket and walking towards the cash desk with a Christmas gift of Whiskey in my left hand, a dozen eggs in my right hand, as I passed the greengrocery section I encountered this one Blueberry, it was squashed on the floor, unseeing it I trod on it and slipped backwards.  Without thinking about it my hands reached forwards and I buried my chin into my chest, I hit the floor flat out, whiskey and eggs extended into the air.  Thankfully the whiskey, eggs and head didn't make contact with the floor and I was up and on my way again, a minor setback and a smile on my face.

So when people always tell you that such & such would be good for you there's always the exception to the rule, and today proved it. :lol:

I'm glad to hear your holiday "trip" ended well. 

I also have a thing for blueberries and have some on my Cheerios every morning.   It's been a while, but have been known to bake blueberry cookies and muffins from time to time.  

One of my childhood shining moments happened when I was racing to catch the school bus one wintery morning in Upstate New York and hit a patch of ice.  It seems I did one of those frantic cartoon style windmill-like wild gyration thingees and managed somehow to keep from falling on my, ummmm, dignity.  I didn't realize that half the kids on the bus were my audience.  They were all laughing when I got on the bus, but also congratulated me on my balancing skills.   

Mikie

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

And you didn't let go of the whiskey!! 

Glad you are alright!

...Kat

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Last time I slipped and fell I ended up with a new hip so I'm really carefull

Johan Willaert
On 12/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, General Apathy said:

I believe that just at the end of the war the British army had a display team that attended civilian events and put together a running - rolling Jeep in about four minutes.  The Jeep was specially modified in that the necessary parts were made to hook together rather than bolting, there were many missing parts, no electrics, no lights etc.  When clipped together a slosh of petrol was poured into the top of the carburettor enough to power it out the display ring.

Mentioned too on pages 50&51 in the 1970 Jeep Book by Warne and described as having been one of the highlights of the Royal Tournament in the mid 1950s...

Absolutely loved watching the Royal Tournament on TV as a kid, always looking forward to the Field Gun obstacle course competition...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Tournament - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_gun_competition )

Below the pages of the book...

IMG_3352.JPG.5fd4bb71c0407fd72c705d40fba680da.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG.8d099b5807866fa017326a3191420c2e.JPG

General Apathy

Morning Friends & Readers . . . . . . . . .

Thought I would redesign one of my old tee shirt cartoons for Christmas . . . . . . . . Merry Christmas Y'all . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 22  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_805c.jpeg.b7f02b3345e106ec2b59e92cc39f5eb6.jpeg

General Apathy
22 hours ago, BEAST said:

You know Beast I might also do the same, see if I can spot the difference  . . . . . . . . :P

General Apathy
21 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene,  you know I think that's exactly what I think he wants us to do . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

General Apathy
22 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Despite the flooding it's still beautiful over there.

Hi Rene,  you're right it is beautiful, and when it rains to fill the fields I often say to people who complain its raining, ' you have to be alive to know it's raining '  . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy
21 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

...Kat

Hi Kat,  two days and I'm still looking . . . . . . . :lol:

General Apathy
21 hours ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Ken,

Thank you for the kind words.. It goes without saying it has been a rather difficult year for many of us, but it is relaxing to sit and look through the photos you post along with the others who have contributed to the post as well..

It takes me back to better times when my father and I came to Normandy and went across Europe touring the battlefields...

Thank you again..

Best regards and Blessings to everyone

Leigh 

Hi Leigh, pleased you're back again, nice to hear that you made it to Normandy with your father, you don't mention your fathers age when you visited was he old enough to have served over here. Pleased to have you here to read and enjoy the posts. ;)

I wasn't going to make mention of this but as you say it's been a tough year for everyone, as I type this my brother-in-law is being cremated in the UK he died of Cancer the 16th December, sadly I am unable to travel there to support my sister and say goodbye, all cross channel ferry services are cancelled due to the virus. Eric worked hard over four years raising money and overseeing the village hall rebuild and renovation, again sadly none of the villagers. and friends are allowed to attend the cremation and send off.  

My thoughts are with the many other people who are all in similar circumstances at this time.