Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
On 12/3/2020 at 9:35 PM, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I think this is great. I did not know you saved old bolts. I have been saving the old rusted ones from the plane just because I love the original markings. 

..Kat

Hi Kat, . . . . . . . . .  Back in the day

looking through some of my Jeep spares boxes today I pulled out this gasket making block I had made back in the day when there weren't all the Jeep dealers that there are today. The block has steel inserts for tapping out gaskets for the gearbox lid and another for the thermostat housing. 

There was another wooden block for cutting out asbestos gaskets for the cylinder head, this one went missing way back when I discovered a tractor business that had had copper head-gaskets made for post war farmers who owned Jeeps.  The copper gaskets were almost indestructible compared to the asbestos ones the military used in WWII, should have had a premonition and bought all their stock.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 15  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_7e4c.jpeg.e2ae5f856f7d1bb7d3a7920dac985ed6.jpeg

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

looking through some of my Jeep spares boxes today I pulled out this gasket making block I had made back in the day when there weren't all the Jeep dealers that there are today. The block has steel inserts for tapping out gaskets for the gearbox lid and another for the thermostat housing. 

There was another wooden block for cutting out asbestos gaskets for the cylinder head, this one went missing way back when I discovered a tractor business that had had copper head-gaskets made for post war farmers who owned Jeeps.  The copper gaskets were almost indestructible compared to the asbestos ones the military used in WWII, should have had a premonition and bought all their stock.  

.fullsizeoutput_7e4c.jpeg.e2ae5f856f7d1bb7d3a7920dac985ed6.jpeg

been there-done that

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Ken,

This is very cool. I love ingenuity like this! My grandfather was a mechanical engineer. If he needed a certain tool and didn't have it, he would make one. I still have some of his handmade tools. I love them!

..Kat

I found out about an interesting museum about 50 miles north of home early this year.  I had intended to make a trip there and make a personal report, but everything shut down before I had the chance.  So instead I’ll post some links. 

It’s the Rosie the Riveter Homefront National Park in Richmond, California. 

Here is a link to the Park Service page.  https://www.nps.gov/rori/index.htm

The park includes part of the old Kaiser shipyard that produced hundreds of ships during the war. On exhibit is one of the last surviving functioning Victory Ships, the Red Oak Victory, which was actually built there.  Also in the park is the old Ford auto factory that may be of some interest here. Part of the factory was converted to producing jeeps during the war. Almost 50,000 were built there.  The rest of the Ford plant was used to do final assembly and checkout for tanks and combat vehicles.  Most of the production was shipped to the Pacific theaters, but some was sent to Europe as well.

Here are a couple of links to info about the jeep factory and the tank depot…

http://www.militarymuseum.org/RichmondTankDepot.html

Index page about the Ford plant with lots of info, and direct links to the info on jeeps and tanks…

http://fordmotorhistory.com/factories/richmond/

http://fordmotorhistory.com/factories/richmond/richmond_jeeps.php

http://fordmotorhistory.com/factories/richmond/richmond_tanks.php

The factory was damaged in the big 1989 earthquake and was almost demolished, but was saved by a group of civic and historically minded people. 

Sorry for all the reading, but hey, what else is there to do these days? 

If things ever open up again, this place is high on my list of places to visit.  I’ll report on it when I can.

Enjoy!

Mikie

Ken, here's challenge for you.......

Unfortunately it is spoken in German but this was a popular game show in the early eighties where celebs put a challenge forward and if that challenge failed they would have to do something in return.  The guys assembling the Jeep are Dutch. Maybe you know some of them?

Rene

Johan Willaert

The largest Dutch Military vehicle club 'Keep them Rolling' has had a team like this for a very long time...
I saw it live for the first time at a rally near Antwerp Belgium in September 1984.
Still have some slides from the time laying around...

3 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Unfortunately it is spoken in German but this was a popular game show in the early eighties where celebs put a challenge forward and if that challenge failed they would have to do something in return.  The guys assembling the Jeep are Dutch. Maybe you know some of them?

Rene

Ken or Johan could probably do this blindfolded. With both hands tied behind their backs. While upside down. 

Mikie

57 minutes ago, mikie said:

Ken or Johan could probably do this blindfolded. With both hands tied behind their backs. While upside down. 

Mikie

Like you said earlier, this is where we need one of those laughing out loud emoticons. I literally laughed out loud at this one. I

Funniest part is that I can picture them doing this.

..Kat

4 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Seen it before but still fun to watch

General Apathy
18 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Rene,  here's a photo of a self build I was 20 , and this is one of my Jeeps three days before sailing, working day and night and completing the rebuild on the morning of sailing I had to get an MOT ( road-worthy certificate ), vehicle insurance, UK road-tax, load the Jeep and race 160 miles to the ferry. My girlfriend and I were the last vehicle onto the ferry and the doors closed behind us and sailed for France.  I have friends that visited and saw the Jeep at this stage and were not convinced that I would make the deadline, I slept for a complete day when we got to France. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 20  2020.

.IMG_1864.JPG.24c8983c4e2da7be3f26bd5ac8def40d.JPG

General Apathy
13 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Like you said earlier, this is where we need one of those laughing out loud emoticons. I literally laughed out loud at this one. I

Funniest part is that I can picture them doing this.

..Kat

Hi Kat,  hopefully this link will provide something similar to what you wanted to see . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy
14 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  well not quite while hanging upside down, but here's the finished Jeep on a campsite over in France, it's the one on the right to the rear of the trailer. 

.fullsizeoutput_7f92.jpeg.877a1282b500cc837c82c2a6699169d5.jpeg

General Apathy
On 12/15/2020 at 7:58 PM, LtRGFRANK said:

been there-done that

Hi Robert,  gimme those old-time self made examples . . . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
On 12/18/2020 at 8:15 PM, mikie said:

I found out about an interesting museum about 50 miles north of home early this year.  I had intended to make a trip there and make a personal report, but everything shut down before I had the chance.  So instead I’ll post some links. 

It’s the Rosie the Riveter Homefront National Park in Richmond, California. 

Here is a link to the Park Service page.  https://www.nps.gov/rori/index.htm

The park includes part of the old Kaiser shipyard that produced hundreds of ships during the war. On exhibit is one of the last surviving functioning Victory Ships, the Red Oak Victory, which was actually built there.  Also in the park is the old Ford auto factory that may be of some interest here. Part of the factory was converted to producing jeeps during the war. Almost 50,000 were built there.  The rest of the Ford plant was used to do final assembly and checkout for tanks and combat vehicles.  Most of the production was shipped to the Pacific theaters, but some was sent to Europe as well.

Here are a couple of links to info about the jeep factory and the tank depot…

http://www.militarymuseum.org/RichmondTankDepot.html

Index page about the Ford plant with lots of info, and direct links to the info on jeeps and tanks…

http://fordmotorhistory.com/factories/richmond/

http://fordmotorhistory.com/factories/richmond/richmond_jeeps.php

http://fordmotorhistory.com/factories/richmond/richmond_tanks.php

The factory was damaged in the big 1989 earthquake and was almost demolished, but was saved by a group of civic and historically minded people. 

Sorry for all the reading, but hey, what else is there to do these days? 

If things ever open up again, this place is high on my list of places to visit.  I’ll report on it when I can.

Enjoy!

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

many thanks for the lengthy report and links to this museum you have discovered, in more normal times then maybe you and other members could have made a visit.  Some great info there, I like all the detail on the crated Ford Jeeps. ;)

General Apathy
16 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

The largest Dutch Military vehicle club 'Keep them Rolling' has had a team like this for a very long time...
I saw it live for the first time at a rally near Antwerp Belgium in September 1984.
Still have some slides from the time laying around...

Hi Johan,

I believe that just at the end of the war the British army had a display team that attended civilian events and put together a running - rolling Jeep in about four minutes.  The Jeep was specially modified in that the necessary parts were made to hook together rather than bolting, there were many missing parts, no electrics, no lights etc.  When clipped together a slosh of petrol was poured into the top of the carburettor enough to power it out the display ring. Some years ago there used to be a short video clip of this on Youtube. 

General Apathy

Hello Forum friends and members,

it's that time of year just a few days short of Christmas, here's wishing you all remain safe and sound and wishing for a medical intervention against this current pandemic virus . . . . . . . . . and the world returns to normal. ^_^

This cartoon was drawn for me by a Dutch friend Pete Zadelaar back in the early 80's it was based on my CJ5 Jeep, and captured it well.

.fullsizeoutput_7f91.jpeg.91ea540aec5e2c6e54e298ee79b7fb96.jpeg

General Apathy
39 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

I can only echo Ken's wishes mentioned above .........

1858654521_Schermopname(3503)a.png.0177f84b00fb6397bbb6fe0e802f8ba1.png

Hi Rene,

many thanks for adding a Dutch themed greetings for Christmas . . . . . . . :lol:

As it's nearing Christmas a few silly jokes to go along with the season

Why did the turkey join a pop group ??

He was the only one with the drum-sticks !!

Why couldn't the skeleton go to the Christmas party ??

He had no-body to go with !!

What happened when Santa went speed dating ?? 

He pulled a cracker !!

What do you get if Santa Claus goes out without his underwear ??

Saint Knickerless . . . . . . . . . come-on, you must has seen that one coming !!

20 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

many thanks for adding a Dutch themed greetings for Christmas . . . . . . . :lol:

As it's nearing Christmas a few silly jokes to go along with the season

Why did the turkey join a pop group ??

He was the only one with the drum-sticks !!

Why couldn't the skeleton go to the Christmas party ??

He had no-body to go with !!

What happened when Santa went speed dating ?? 

He pulled a cracker !!

What do you get if Santa Claus goes out without his underwear ??

Saint Knickerless . . . . . . . . . come-on, you must has seen that one coming !!

Funny stuff. Laughed the Dickens out of me.  I had to look up that "pulled a cracker" one, though. Merry Christmas! 

Mikie

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Rene,  here's a photo of a self build I was 20 , and this is one of my Jeeps three days before sailing, working day and night and completing the rebuild on the morning of sailing I had to get an MOT ( road-worthy certificate ), vehicle insurance, UK road-tax, load the Jeep and race 160 miles to the ferry. My girlfriend and I were the last vehicle onto the ferry and the doors closed behind us and sailed for France.  I have friends that visited and saw the Jeep at this stage and were not convinced that I would make the deadline, I slept for a complete day when we got to France. 

.IMG_1864.JPG.24c8983c4e2da7be3f26bd5ac8def40d.JPG

Well I'm impressed! What was the occasion with the deadline?

General Apathy
15 minutes ago, mikie said:

Funny stuff. Laughed the Dickens out of me.  I had to look up that "pulled a cracker" one, though. Merry Christmas! 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  

Wish I had pulled this Cracker  . . . . . . . . .  Rita Hayworth. :love:

.gilda_trailer_hayworth1.jpg.24fd82a08c2186266905da47fccf98d8.jpg

American Graffiti

Merry Christmas Ken, and everyone else who adds to this thread.

Guess it wouldn't be Christmas without some corny jokes straight out of a cracker :-)

And thank you for making it what it is with all your stories, then and now's and shoebox gems!

Stay safe everyone, heres to a Happy New 2021

AG

General Apathy
14 minutes ago, mikie said:

Well I'm impressed! What was the occasion with the deadline?

Hi Mikie,

it wasn't a special anniversary year, I think it was one of the normal annual runs to Normandy that occurred each year at that time, between a 100 / 200 WWII vehicles would make the trip. 

Myself and Derrie my girlfriend, that's a Dodge Command car behind my Jeep.  

.fullsizeoutput_5942.jpeg.6ca00df4d90a59077ea464753f24b77c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3b9e.jpeg

Ken,

Been a while since I have been here, many months.. life issues and other events.... It is great to see some of the new posts and photos..

One of the best topics on our forum..

Best regards and Blessings to you and our forum family

Stay safe 

Leigh 

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

it wasn't a special anniversary year, I think it was one of the normal annual runs to Normandy that occurred each year at that time, between a 100 / 200 WWII vehicles would make the trip. 

Myself and Derrie my girlfriend, that's a Dodge Command car behind my Jeep.  

.fullsizeoutput_5942.jpeg.6ca00df4d90a59077ea464753f24b77c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3b9e.jpeg

Ken, why the rush? Looking at that 101st patch (which mysteriously has been blurred out in the second pic) couldn't you have just parachuted in? 😃

Rene