Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

To Simon Lerenfort . . . . . . . . .

Hi Simon,  these two alerts arrived in my laptop inbox this afternoon, sorry to say however that I cannot see or find the two posts that it suggests you have made, so apologies for not responding to your posts which I would normally like to do. 

regards Ken 

.fullsizeoutput_7ae9.jpeg.f6d0bf9fd5cfc4ded81af15db62de1d1.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_7aea.jpeg.f2e68a38e346eb419fa01030f52854d8.jpeg

Simon Lerenfort

Hi Ken,

Apologies, I just hit the little "like" button in the post and had not made a comment. Nice to hear from you again. Hope you are well and enjoying the Calvados! Seasons greetings.

4 minutes ago, Simon Lerenfort said:

Hi Ken,

Apologies, I just hit the little "like" button in the post and had not made a comment. Nice to hear from you again. Hope you are well and enjoying the Calvados! Seasons greetings.

My goodness!  I never noticed the Like button before!  Thanks for pointing it out!  

Mikie

On 11/30/2020 at 2:18 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Dennis,  thanks for posting, pleased to have you here, I know from other emails on your modelling threads that you are heavily into modelling.  Well here's a case of Shoud'a as you call it, I shoud'a put more glue on my trailer springs, nothing lasts for ever I am told, however I did make this one up about thirty years ago, let's call the dust, it's provenance.  

Also Dennis as your forum name is ' Old Marine ' note that the two helmets have Marine Corps camo covers on . . . . . . . . 

The model is of an early war Ford GP, these are very rare today, sadly I found four of them  thirty years ago that had already reached the point of no return. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 30  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_7ab8.jpeg.5a875e87e11a56bed61a511e52a4ef18.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_20bc.jpeg.54becefa18e683699ffccd1e58d72b30.jpeg

Haha, I like this one.......cap'n grumpy in the passenger seat....

General Apathy

Hi Simon,  many thanks for responding so quickly, having never noticed the ' like ' button I took it for granted that comments had been added. 

So far all fine here, taking all the necessary precautions that are suggested. May have to take a further look at Calvados if the price of gas keeps rising, wouldn't that be a movement towards the green lifestyle as it's made from Apples . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 03  2020.

General Apathy
19 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Divine intervention......?

skft-90e42b7bbcfed352cad01abeaa807101.jpg.f6b2bd8b758c01b953a02bc46121bbfa.jpg

Hi Rene,

Great post, that was a really lucky hit considering how close it is to the edge of the bible, lucky as well that it continued in a straight line and didn't skew to one side.

General Apathy

Going Nuts today . . . . . . . .

Well actually I am going Nuts & Bolts as its raining today and thats put a stop to outdoor work which I have been doing for the last four days.

Time to drag indoors a couple of tins of old original leftover nuts and bolts to sort through from Jeeps, Dodges, GMC's and Harleys, a quick emersion in gasoline to degrease them, and start sorting, I love the smell of old gasoline first thing of a morning . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it, Hopefully I might find a few old and forgotten Ford bolts. :love:  I spotted a few old original Willys ones which are worthwhile as well. 

.fullsizeoutput_7b26.jpeg.c36497acd729e0b5d5aebb55e876081e.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_7b24.jpeg.eee4f0058fcb29d71c23deb1bb4278d2.jpeg

19 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Divine intervention......?

skft-90e42b7bbcfed352cad01abeaa807101.jpg.f6b2bd8b758c01b953a02bc46121bbfa.jpg

My friend who took an AK47 round to the chest in Vietnam was saved when the bullet hit something before hitting him was tunbling

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Time to drag indoors a couple of tins of old original leftover nuts and bolts to sort through from Jeeps, Dodges, GMC's and Harleys, a quick emersion in gasoline to degrease them, and start sorting, I love the smell of old gasoline first thing of a morning . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Did the same thing a while ago... and now it's a pleasure finding the correct bolt per original parts list when assembling things...

80-GPW56685-18Apr20 (2).JPG

General Apathy
12 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Did the same thing a while ago... and now it's a pleasure finding the correct bolt per original parts list when assembling things...

80-GPW56685-18Apr20 (2).JPG

Hi Johan,  sorted through a couple of hundred old bolts so far and only came up with one Ford stamped head so far, maybe two dozen Willys specific ones and a the rest are just regular wartime fine and course threads used on Jeeps, Dodges, GMC and Harley's.

I still have more odds and sods of fittings in assorted spares crates to gather together sometime and sort those . . . . . . .  

A good thing I found years ago with manifold studs is to use Brass nuts, they never freeze together as steel nuts and steel studs do. If you get the brass nuts with double the depth of threads there's never a problem of stripping the threads.  

Johan Willaert

Boxes above have filled up quite nicely since the photo was taken.
I have many EC, TR, CTr, A, AA, F, etc marked bolts that I can use for assembly all keeping in mind what is and isnt correct for my project. Such a pleasure to just take the box and find the correct size...

I'm rather proud to say that the Jeep along with my other vehicles will nog have all correct hardware as far as thread, size and brand are concerned... No more metric bolts anywhere...

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Well actually I am going Nuts & Bolts as its raining today and thats put a stop to outdoor work which I have been doing for the last four days.

It's a dirty job but someone has to do it, Hopefully I might find a few old and forgotten Ford bolts. :love:  I spotted a few old original Willys ones which are worthwhile as well. 

Ken,

I think this is great. I did not know you saved old bolts. I have been saving the old rusted ones from the plane just because I love the original markings. 

..Kat

General Apathy
On 12/2/2020 at 6:19 PM, Dogsbody said:

Haha, I like this one.......cap'n grumpy in the passenger seat....

Hi Rene,  I don't think the company that made this kit are still around, I think I should still have one unopened box of this model in a shoebox somewhere. . . . . . ^_^

.fullsizeoutput_7b43.jpeg.bbc4cdae0ba393b7adcf934ff2f61ae2.jpeg

General Apathy
14 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I think this is great. I did not know you saved old bolts. I have been saving the old rusted ones from the plane just because I love the original markings. 

..Kat

Hi Kat,  nice to hear from you again, back in the day we had to hang onto every piece that came off a Jeep it wasn't possible to walk into a hardware store and buy American thread bolts, none of the British or Continental car manufacturers used American thread sizes. 

I will use electrolysis rust removal to bring them back to life . . . . it's like magic. :love:

Johan Willaert
5 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

back in the day we had to hang onto every piece that came off a Jeep it wasn't possible to walk into a hardware store and buy American thread bolts

on my last trip to the US back in 2017, I stopped by an old hardware store in Placerville, CA, and bought dozens of washers of all common sizes found on our vehicles... very expensive if you have to buy them in Europe...

9 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

on my last trip to the US back in 2017, I stopped by an old hardware store in Placerville, CA, and bought dozens of washers of all common sizes found on our vehicles... very expensive if you have to buy them in Europe...

Very interesting. I never thought about little things like this. I wonder what they thought about you buying a common item in bulk! 😁

Kat

On 11/30/2020 at 5:18 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Dennis,  thanks for posting, pleased to have you here, I know from other emails on your modelling threads that you are heavily into modelling.  Well here's a case of Shoud'a as you call it, I shoud'a put more glue on my trailer springs, nothing lasts for ever I am told, however I did make this one up about thirty years ago, let's call the dust, it's provenance.  

Also Dennis as your forum name is ' Old Marine ' note that the two helmets have Marine Corps camo covers on . . . . . . . . 

The model is of an early war Ford GP, these are very rare today, sadly I found four of them  thirty years ago that had already reached the point of no return. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 30  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_7ab8.jpeg.5a875e87e11a56bed61a511e52a4ef18.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_20bc.jpeg.54becefa18e683699ffccd1e58d72b30.jpeg

I'll chime in here and say that's a great model. Those figures made me laugh... Sorry I'm getting a little behind here. Busy busy. And then I fall asleep. 

Mikie

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  nice to hear from you again, back in the day we had to hang onto every piece that came off a Jeep it wasn't possible to walk into a hardware store and buy American thread bolts, none of the British or Continental car manufacturers used American thread sizes. 

I will use electrolysis rust removal to bring them back to life . . . . it's like magic. :love:

Back in the early 70's I came home from school and told my Dad that my teacher said that the U.S. would be on the metric system in 10 years. Dad replied "Like hell we will!".

Mikie

5 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Very interesting. I never thought about little things like this. I wonder what they thought about you buying a common item in bulk! 😁

Kat

Buying all those washers? Must have thought he was nuts. 

Mikie

Kat

Buying all those washers? Must have thought he was nuts. 

Mikie

Ken,

..Kat

If I see an old screw, nut, washer or nail on the ground, I'll pick it up. If it's in good shape, I'll keep it. Many times one of those odd old things will be just what I needed. Packrat? Me? If only I had more space. 

Mikie

29 minutes ago, mikie said:

If I see an old screw, nut, washer or nail on the ground, I'll pick it up. If it's in good shape, I'll keep it. Many times one of those odd old things will be just what I needed. Packrat? Me? If only I had more space. 

Mikie

Mikie,

I do the same thing! I thought I was the only crazy one!  I also find the occasional socket or other tool. It is amazing what you can find walking around the neighborhood.

...Kat

Johan Willaert
11 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Kat

Actually quite a funny story... in preparation of the trip I had made a list of all the sizes washers I wanted along with some very special uncommon screws and other bits of hardware...
So along the road whenever I saw a store that sold hardware, I had a look around but didn't find exactly what I was looking for... And then near the end of the trip I came across a hardware store in Placerville CA that seemed to have been in business forever...
So I walk in and hand the shopkeeper ( a guy in his 30s) my list... and he goes 'hey, let me get my dad for this'...
So dad comes out and looks at my list and takes me to the back of the shop where all the old stuff is....
I must have spent about an hour in there going through old boxes of screws, nuts and washers and in the end I walked about with the list fully ticked at about a quarter of the price I would have paid in Europe...

1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Actually quite a funny story... in preparation of the trip I had made a list of all the sizes washers I wanted along with some very special uncommon screws and other bits of hardware...
So along the road whenever I saw a store that sold hardware, I had a look around but didn't find exactly what I was looking for... And then near the end of the trip I came across a hardware store in Placerville CA that seemed to have been in business forever...
So I walk in and hand the shopkeeper ( a guy in his 30s) my list... and he goes 'hey, let me get my dad for this'...
So dad comes out and looks at my list and takes me to the back of the shop where all the old stuff is....
I must have spent about an hour in there going through old boxes of screws, nuts and washers and in the end I walked about with the list fully ticked at about a quarter of the price I would have paid in Europe...

I have a bucket at home for over 30 years. Every left over bolt, nut, washer etc goes in it. If I need something I will find it in there if I dig through it