Norman D. Landing

bilko1

a grizzly for a grisly sum.............now I'm not in the military vehicles buying market so I'm definitly not clued in........at auction this Grizzly did not meet its reserve price despite a bid of $ 480.000.

Grizzly.PNG.003fbad21e1b742f5b16df16caf1bb8e.PNG

26 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

a grizzly for a grisly sum.............now I'm not in the military vehicles buying market so I'm definitly not clued in........at auction this Grizzly did not meet its reserve price despite a bid of $ 480.000.

I just checked my piggy bank. No thanks, no tanks for Mikie. 

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . .

Talking this morning with Nigel Hay ( Milweb )  about Dunkirk I related that back in the 1970’s when I used to work on Jeeps on the drive at the front of the house an older chappie used to walk past with his dog and stop to talk to me fascinated by the Jeeps and the GMC. Over a period of conversations he told me that he fought at Dunkirk but when it collapsed and they stopped picking more soldiers up he and a group of other soldiers walked all the way to St Malo 600 kilometres, over a few weeks dodging German troops and escaped from there. 

He was a cartographer and he loaned me the most magnificent and annotated diary ( A5 size ) he had written during the route to St Malo, it was beautifully illustrated showing routes, places, people in coloured pencils as he indeed had artistic talent.  I told Nigel that it never passed my mind that it would have made a fantastic book if printed, in those days life was forever and I never gave thought that the old chappie would pass away and the opportunity missed. 

He gave me this full pack of cigarettes that they were given during the war, he said that all the soldiers used to throw them away for some reason as the large V on the packet had become a sign of bad luck, possibly through the defeat at Dunkirk.  

( I have wrapped the packet in cling-film to keep them in good condition and dust free ).

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 22  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_77f5.jpeg.b3960ae47fe351d5b696d98772573b35.jpeg 

General Apathy
On 11/19/2020 at 6:12 PM, mikie said:

Thanks Len!  

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Len has sent me the image of the sole of an American military boot embossed in wet concrete at the hospital site, note the reversed image of the sole ' US. ARMY ' .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 24  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_78a3.jpeg.15c5af20ca2ee05b98fbf5b8a33cbd0f.jpeg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Len has sent me the image of the sole of an American military boot embossed in wet concrete at the hospital site, note the reversed image of the sole ' US. ARMY ' .

Wow.  A moment frozen in time.  Or at least concrete. Wonder what that man would think if he knew that almost 80 years later people would be interested in his boot print.  Hope he survived and lived a good life.  Like I said earlier, this kind of thing gets me wondering... Thanks Len.

Mkie

Mikie 

General Apathy
On 11/21/2020 at 4:03 PM, Dogsbody said:

Hi Rene,  

I'm sure that you will have probably read one of my earlier posts year or so ago that I had the opportunity early 80's to buy a complete working Sherman for £1,200 pounds. I had the money but not the transport and more importantly the indoor storage for it, and now look at prices. 

I did attach a photograph at the time I added the post, sorry I don't have time to cruise through my photo files this evening

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,  

I'm sure that you will have probably read one of my earlier posts year or so ago that I had the opportunity early 80's to buy a complete working Sherman for £1,200 pounds. I had the money but not the transport and more importantly the indoor storage for it, and now look at prices. 

I did attach a photograph at the time I added the post, sorry I don't have time to cruise through my photo files this evening

things in life we should have bought

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

next time J pour concrete I'm getting some of my boots out and imprint the cement

General Apathy
6 hours ago, mikie said:

Wow.  A moment frozen in time.  Or at least concrete. Wonder what that man would think if he knew that almost 80 years later people would be interested in his boot print.  Hope he survived and lived a good life.  Like I said earlier, this kind of thing gets me wondering... Thanks Len.

Mkie

Mikie 

Hi Mikie,  do you remember the photos I posted a few years back of a German bunker here that had the studded boots of a German sentry and his dog prints walking beside him, if you don't let me know and I will bring them up again.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 25  2020. 

General Apathy
1 hour ago, LtRGFRANK said:

things in life we should have bought

Hi Robert is that a paraphrase of ' Rich Women I SHOULD have married '  . . . . :D

cause there were some . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  :blush:

24 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  do you remember the photos I posted a few years back of a German bunker here that had the studded boots of a German sentry and his dog prints walking beside him, if you don't let me know and I will bring them up again.

Yes! I remember that!  For some reason, things like that fire up my imagination.  Must just be my weird old brain.  

Mikie 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:03 AM, Dogsbody said:

Oh what a lawn ornament that would make!  But I'd need a bigger lawn.  

Mikie

General Apathy
15 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Why not just get a LARGER lawn and have an entire diorama  . . . . . . . . . . . . . Think big :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_76b5.jpeg.ae959ce0fb0ea0de1cdcb97f049b669f.jpeg

53 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Why not just get a LARGER lawn and have an entire diorama  . . . . . . . . . . . . . Think big :lol:

Excellent picture. Cromwells, Challengers and Fireflies..........where's me time machine

Rene

We will be celebrating Thanksgiving here in the States tomorrow, Thursday. Just want to let you know that I am thankful for having this wonderful place with you great folks  here at NDL. I can count on coming here to forget my troubles for a while and even learn a thing or two. Can't get better than that. Thank you one and all.

Mikie

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

I agree with Rene, cool photo. My front yard is a mess. Due to my screwed up back and knee, I have a hard enough time taking care of it now, as small as it is.  It couldn't get much worse by having a squadron of tanks drive over it.

Mikie

General Apathy
6 hours ago, mikie said:

We will be celebrating Thanksgiving here in the States tomorrow, Thursday. Just want to let you know that I am thankful for having this wonderful place with you great folks  here at NDL. I can count on coming here to forget my troubles for a while and even learn a thing or two. Can't get better than that. Thank you one and all.

Mikie

Hi Mikie.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all Americans 

There wouldn't be anything to come here and see if it wasn't for yours and a few others contributions, I wouldn't have anything to come here and read myself or share or draw inspiration from, it would be a monologue and I already have that in my mind so why write it if no-one joins in . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

After the recent change I really miss the impetus of seeing the names of people reading the thread when I log on, the encouragement to share posts with other forum members. 

Again,  Happy Thanksgiving and remembering the forum friends who helped start this forum and now passed, Craig Pickrall & Greg Robinson. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 26  2020.

8 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Cross your T's and dot your I beams.........

1054784992_Schermopname(3279).png.02dfa90a9af03130916f713817707c2a.png

Corps of Engineers marked I beams

Rene

Those engineers were girdering up their loins for some heavy work. 

General Apathy
On 11/25/2020 at 12:50 AM, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie, here's an email I just received from another long-term codger I know . . . . . . .

Ken, just on another note I read on the forum about you being offered a Sherman back in the day... it reminded me of my time at the Museum where I learnt of a Sherman being disposed of down in Sussex. The young Conlon and me-self decided to go check it out fully expecting it to be an old steam roller or similar. We had been told that it was a static display in a childrens play area, I think that’s about right and it was cheap. Well we did eventually find the place and to our utter amazement there was this Sherman sat slap bang in the middle of the play area. Sadly no one had a camera so we have no photos... it cropped up in a conversation the other week with John and he seemed to think it was an M10... that would make sense as it could have come from Pounds Scrapyard???? But as you said as did we, where the hell do we keep it and moving it was not what we were accustomed to. Another one for the ‘Should have but didn’t’...list.....

The old codger mentions Pounds Scrapyard, this was a large seafront scrapyard at Portsmouth he had for disposal WWII military vehicles, tanks, ships, submarines, engines and other heavy metal stuff. I recall there were at least a dozen M-10 tank destroyers in there. Peter Graf who started the British Military Vehicle Conservation Group, re-furbished an M-10 in the scrapyard before retrieving it late 70's 

.fullsizeoutput_797e.jpeg.c69e5e6c348773b3a51270b6f29ae794.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_7985.jpeg.ca56bea4bd81f6d2134199ba9cca2ad3.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_7980.jpeg.46aeb389e73d852561918d053ebc01b3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7982.jpeg.05f6b2a7237fb33b40c6260b977fe0a5.jpeg

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, here's an email I just received from another long-term codger I know . . . . . . .

Ken, just on another note I read on the forum about you being offered a Sherman back in the day... it reminded me of my time at the Museum where I learnt of a Sherman being disposed of down in Sussex. The young Conlon and me-self decided to go check it out fully expecting it to be an old steam roller or similar. We had been told that it was a static display in a childrens play area, I think that’s about right and it was cheap. Well we did eventually find the place and to our utter amazement there was this Sherman sat slap bang in the middle of the play area. Sadly no one had a camera so we have no photos... it cropped up in a conversation the other week with John and he seemed to think it was an M10... that would make sense as it could have come from Pounds Scrapyard???? But as you said as did we, where the hell do we keep it and moving it was not what we were accustomed to. Another one for the ‘Should have but didn’t’...list.....

The old codger mentions Pounds Scrapyard, this was a large seafront scrapyard at Portsmouth he had for disposal WWII military vehicles, tanks, ships, submarines, engines and other heavy metal stuff. I recall there were at least a dozen M-10 tank destroyers in there. Peter Graf who started the British Military Vehicle Conservation Group, re-furbished an M-10 in the scrapyard before retrieving it late 70's 

.fullsizeoutput_797e.jpeg.c69e5e6c348773b3a51270b6f29ae794.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_7985.jpeg.ca56bea4bd81f6d2134199ba9cca2ad3.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_7980.jpeg.46aeb389e73d852561918d053ebc01b3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7982.jpeg.05f6b2a7237fb33b40c6260b977fe0a5.jpeg

As I read this while cooking my turkey, all I can say is GOOD GRAVY!  

Mikie

I think of all the shoulda', coulda', woulda' pieces that I passed up over the years.  Then I try to think of something else and not dwell on it.  

I follow this thread, but never have much to add, but is always interesting.  The  links to the model ship videos are great, thanks for posting them.  

thanks

Dennis

General Apathy
On 11/26/2020 at 9:15 PM, Old Marine said:

I think of all the shoulda', coulda', woulda' pieces that I passed up over the years.  Then I try to think of something else and not dwell on it.  

I follow this thread, but never have much to add, but is always interesting.  

thanks

Dennis

Hi Dennis,  thanks for posting, pleased to have you here, I know from other emails on your modelling threads that you are heavily into modelling.  Well here's a case of Shoud'a as you call it, I shoud'a put more glue on my trailer springs, nothing lasts for ever I am told, however I did make this one up about thirty years ago, let's call the dust, it's provenance.  

Also Dennis as your forum name is ' Old Marine ' note that the two helmets have Marine Corps camo covers on . . . . . . . . 

The model is of an early war Ford GP, these are very rare today, sadly I found four of them  thirty years ago that had already reached the point of no return. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 30  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_7ab8.jpeg.5a875e87e11a56bed61a511e52a4ef18.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_20bc.jpeg.54becefa18e683699ffccd1e58d72b30.jpeg