Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
20 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Just par for the course that some bureaucrat puts an end to a good thing that I’m sure helped moral.

Hi Piet,

I'm sure it would have helped moral as you say, but it possibly impaired flyers on operational duties . . . . . . . . however I think really it was just that they were missing out on the unpaid TAX. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 15  2020.

13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Yup it worked . . . . . . . . .  ( back in the day )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 15  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_75fa.jpeg.e07f620909957a5b175fd70ec048f4a4.jpeg

still the same keneth

General Apathy
17 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

still the same keneth

Hi Robert, many thanks for the boost to the red blood in my veins . . . . . . . . . . 

Robert,  I know you will be interested it's my daughters birthday tomorrow 17th.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 16  2020.

7 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Robert, many thanks for the boost to the red blood in my veins . . . . . . . . . . 

Robert,  I know you will be interested it's my daughters birthday tomorrow 17th.

wish her a very Happy Birthday

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

Love this picture because of Ike's and Churchill's facial expressions  (never mind his robe..........)

1926761977_91050167_10158339718142853_488501952385122304_n(1).jpg.5faee72b56f9765cece3f661466ab205.jpg

Hi Rene,  thanks for the Churchill image,  must say it's not one I remember seeing before.

I did have the privilege some years ago of standing in the compartment of a train carriage at Ft. Lee museum Virginia in the exact spot that Eisenhower and Churchill had stood together. Sadly I can't find the shot of Eisenhower & Churchill inside the train,  this is one of them leaving that same carriage.  

.fullsizeoutput_7635.jpeg.34aa5a5ea397195c5dd973c108b2d0a3.jpeg

General Apathy

Tying some ends together maybe . . . . . . . . . 

I have had this set of Sterling wings in the shoebox for around thirty years, the shape of the wings do not compare to a pair of US shaped wings.  A few weeks ago I spotted that there are images of wings from ancient Persia which almost have the same shape as the pair I have.

Of course we know that there were American forces in Persia during WWII pushing supplies through from there to Russia, wondered if there was a connection on this particular pair I have.  

.fullsizeoutput_7443.jpeg.e45f836687b2b1558c0caca953b0dc04.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_752f.jpeg.3cf06bd5c32680994e30508a48ba10bf.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_7642.jpeg.5a500b5f506ca2a242623706760d8ec8.jpeg

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I have had this set of Sterling wings in the shoebox for around thirty years, the shape of the wings do not compare to a pair of US shaped wings.  A few weeks ago I spotted that there are images of wings from ancient Persia which almost have the same shape as the pair I have.

Of course we know that there were American forces in Persia during WWII pushing supplies through from there to Russia, wondered if there was a connection on this particular pair I have.  

Ancient Persian Air Force pilot wing?

General Apathy
12 hours ago, mikie said:

Ancient Persian Air Force pilot wing?

Hi Mikie,  have you ever read the books of Erich Von Daniken ' Chariots of the Gods ' where he proposes that the earth was visited by alien visitors thousands of years ago. A lot of his theory is based on the Nazca lines ( drawings ) in Peru, these large ancient depictions of birds and animals drawn on the desert floor are only recognisable from thousands of feet in the air ( i.e. Airships ). He also writes about many ancient structures such as the Pyramids and the Maya temples as predating our known history. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods%3F

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 17  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_766f.jpeg.b1cc7e6bf41949a0a80bf23fcf6431be.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  have you ever read the books of Erich Von Daniken ' Chariots of the Gods ' where he proposes that the earth was visited by alien visitors thousands of years ago. A lot of his theory is based on the Nazca lines ( drawings ) in Peru, these large ancient depictions of birds and animals drawn on the desert floor are only recognisable from thousands of feet in the air ( i.e. Airships ). He also writes about many ancient structures such as the Pyramids and the Maya temples as predating our known history. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_the_Gods%3F

.fullsizeoutput_766f.jpeg.b1cc7e6bf41949a0a80bf23fcf6431be.jpeg

Hi Ken.  Yes, I read those books many years ago.  While I don't completely believe his theories or his conclusions, there is certainly a LOT of things the ancients did that we still don't understand.   Either they were a lot smarter than we have given them credit for, or they did have some help.  I tend to think they were smarter, but cannot say that they didn't get some help.  As Spock would say, "fascinating", no matter what. 

Mikie

General Apathy
2 hours ago, mikie said:

Hi Ken.  Yes, I read those books many years ago.  While I don't completely believe his theories or his conclusions, there is certainly a LOT of things the ancients did that we still don't understand.   Either they were a lot smarter than we have given them credit for, or they did have some help.  I tend to think they were smarter, but cannot say that they didn't get some help.  As Spock would say, "fascinating", no matter what. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well back to earth again, it is all hard to accept without evidential and physical proof to look at. 

Back to a Then & Now post provided for us by long-term friend Len who reads these pages but more happy to mail things direct to me to use and post here.

The 279th US Army Hospital was at Gilwern, Abergavenny, South Wales, UK.  Len said that at one time there were US Boot prints in concrete to be seen, sadly disappeared due to modern enlargement of the site. 

fullsizeoutput_7679.jpeg.7f75f9be6fb3d795698d769f58b1dba6.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_767c.jpeg.52cecd80c0587684c3fbd30e97404ce9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_767d.jpeg.89d1f7c4e42560ee7653c8d5e717f735.jpeg

Just in case you folks have an interest in ancient history, just over a mile from my house is the San Jose Rosicrucian Egyptian museum.  I can't report from inside due to it being closed due to Covid, but the grounds are open to walk through.  Here is a link and some pics of my most recent visit.  The museum hosted my voting center for the election a couple of weeks ago.     

https://egyptianmuseum.org/museum-gallery-guide

temple 2.jpg

Thutmos III.jpg

Temple.jpg

Obelisk.jpg

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, well back to earth again, it is all hard to accept without evidential and physical proof to look at. 

Back to a Then & Now post provided for us by long-term friend Len who reads these pages but more happy to mail things direct to me to use and post here.

The 279th US Army Hospital was at Gilwern, Abergavenny, South Wales, UK.  Len said that at one time there were US Boot prints in concrete to be seen, sadly disappeared due to modern enlargement of the site. 

Pass my thanks to Len for the interesting Then & Now. Any idea what the site is used for these days? 

By very strange coincidence, I was out for a neighborhood walk on Sunday and noticed a small shoe print in some sidewalk cement. I never noticed it before. The houses there date from the 1950s-70s. As usual, things like that  get me thinking. Wonder what the kid who stepped in the wet cement is doing now, and if he still lives nearby. 

Mikie

On 11/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, LtRGFRANK said:

wish her a very Happy Birthday

And from me too. Sorry, I got distracted and forgot to wish her Happy Birthday sooner. 

Mikie

General Apathy
On 11/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, mikie said:

Just in case you folks have an interest in ancient history, just over a mile from my house is the San Jose Rosicrucian Egyptian museum.  I can't report from inside due to it being closed due to Covid, but the grounds are open to walk through.  Here is a link and some pics of my most recent visit.  The museum hosted my voting center for the election a couple of weeks ago.     

temple 2.jpg

Thutmos III.jpg

Temple.jpg

Obelisk.jpg

Hi Mikie,

Well I would never have known of that museum without you posting photos, but should anything surprise me about California, I know it's not your fault perhaps it's that other guys fault. :o

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 19  2020.

General Apathy
On 11/18/2020 at 4:52 AM, mikie said:

Pass my thanks to Len for the interesting Then & Now. Any idea what the site is used for these days? 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

You just did it yourself,  Len will read your comment next time he logs in, I believe its a small industrial and storage site now. 

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

You just did it yourself,  Len will read your comment next time he logs in, I believe its a small industrial and storage site now. 

Thanks Len!  

Mikie

General Apathy
21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Well I would never have known of that museum without you posting photos, but should anything surprise me about California, I know it's not your fault perhaps it's that other guys fault. :o

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 20  2020.

Hi Mikie,  I KNEW it wasn't your fault, it was that other fella's fault San Andreas  . . . . . . .:blush:

https://www.earthquakeauthority.com/Blog/2020/San-Andreas-Fault-Line-Map

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  I KNEW it wasn't your fault, it was that other fella's fault San Andreas  . . . . . . .:blush:

https://www.earthquakeauthority.com/Blog/2020/San-Andreas-Fault-Line-Map

If I could only convince my lovely wife that it wasn't my fault.  

At one of my old jobs, "it being Mike's fault" was part of my job description.  At my new-hire introduction to my new work group, my boss outlined my work duties, then added that my most important one was to take the blame for all of his mistakes.  It was a bit of a running gag there for a while. 

Mikie

General Apathy

Armoured Divisions Memorial London . . . . . .

the 11th hour on the 11th day of November marks the end of World War One, wreaths of poppies are laid around World War One & Two memorials in the UK, and at Cemeteries on the European continent.  Shown below is the fitting monument to men of the armoured divisions of World War Two in London. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 21  2020.

.20180710_133557.jpg.304cfc4736d48dd2d7b78aa403026571.jpg

On 11/17/2020 at 12:32 AM, General Apathy said:

Now that's what you'd call wings.........

Coincidentally I'm about to start this book. It focuses mainly on the British involvement but the US part is also dealt with.

SAM_0691.JPG.681eab903ad98c6114af5cfa0a92fbf6.JPG

On 11/17/2020 at 10:32 PM, mikie said:

temple 2.jpg

Thutmos III.jpg

Temple.jpg

Obelisk.jpg

Closed because of Covid, you say.......or are they still counting........😉

Nice pictures, though

On 11/17/2020 at 10:13 PM, General Apathy said:

It's been a while since we have seen a Then and Now....Thank you, Len!

Will see if I can get something going.

Rene

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Armoured Divisions Memorial London . . . . . .

the 11th hour on the 11th day of November marks the end of World War One, wreaths of poppies are laid around World War One & Two memorials in the UK, and at Cemeteries on the European continent.  Shown below is the fitting monument to men of the armoured divisions of World War Two in London. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 21  2020.

.20180710_133557.jpg.304cfc4736d48dd2d7b78aa403026571.jpg

The moment I saw this picture I knew I'd seen it somewhere else........Yep, near the entrance at the Bovington tank museum. There are some subtle differences, though. It's a great monument wherever it stands.

DSC_0530.JPG.38a50e812a55188f7aa7274cde88eac7.JPG