Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
2 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Never knew you collected WW2 US Naval aviation too Ken? Nice one.

Well it was more a case of what didn't I collect, if it was US 1905 - 1944 I took everything I could find,  all branches of the Army, Navy, USAAF, Marines, cavalry, Infantry, paratroops, ski troops, signal Corps, womens, armored, etc, plus RAF and British Army.  I'm still looking through the Shoebox to re-find long lost pieces packed away in various house moves..

A couple of the US Navy, Bureau of Aeronautics swim suits. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 08  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_2ec0.jpeg.6af1aa41c40a118bd3c8745787ef4cb6.jpeg

General Apathy
2 hours ago, patelie said:

#42-92868 crashed in the channel and all crew members were killed.
In fact this aircraft is #42-100876 flown by Lt. Marvin Muir and his crew. Aircrew killed in the crash
http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aeropus/en_crash.php

Bienvenue Patrick,  kind of you to correct the mistake I made in the numbering of these aircraft, pleased that you joined in and read this thread and spotting the details were wrong.

21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene.

Something else to degrade your time 28 minute video of WWII US weapons and effects . . . interesting as well in the amount of German armour that they must have shipped back to the States for research and evaluation . . . . . . 

Shown below is an uncommon weapon the Frangible Grenade and M1 ignitor .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QgXuhv7-54

Again if the link doest go live, copy, cut and paste into your web browser . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 07  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_7274.jpeg.78cd2d876a46bd32efd1d9fb723ce8d3.jpeg

Great voice-over.

General Apathy
21 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, any chance one of these kegs found its way into you shoebox.........? 😄

skft-8b99e884229af82aee01206764d2c7ba.jpg.87e4ff34db9971ff0e1f44c6bca620d3.jpg

Hi Rene,  it is claimed that these beer runs to the troops were stopped by the Tax Department,  I think in the UK you can still buy pints and/or bottles of ' Spitfire Ales ', not my tipple though G & T's for me . . . . . . . . .

Wonder what the opposition thought of that when they saw them slung under the wings, obviously some latest devilish device of the Brits . . . . . . . . . . . 

TheCrustyBosun
9 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Wonder what the opposition thought of that when they saw them slung under the wings, obviously some latest devilish device of the Brits . . . . . . . . . . . 

I would hope the curious hun would approach, take a look, smile, wave, and let the Brit be on his way. Everyone appreciates a good pint/liter/boot!! Slainte! Cheers! Prosit!!!

General Apathy

Does anyone here read this information that now appears top right of the page when they open this thread . . . . . . . . .  asking for a friend.

I used to like the feature when it was possible to see how many and whom were reading the thread each visit.  

.fullsizeoutput_72d4.jpeg.0f7c019e2f9f95ab73ceca2190d896b2.jpeg

General Apathy

Model making for film-work . . . . . . .

Several years ago Jeremy Clarkson ( of Top-Gear Fame ) made a documentary about an early WWII British commando/ navy raid on the French dry dock at St. Nazaire.  St Nazaire was the largest dry dock on the west coast of France that could hold and repair if needed the largest German battleship the Tirpitz. The aim of the raid was to destroy the dry dock preventing any future use of it during the war by the Germans. Approximately 650 Commandos and sailors began the raid with around 150 surviving. The Campbelltown was rammed at speed under fire into the docks and blew up later on a time fuze. The Bell of the Campbelltown was donated to the town of Campbelltown P.A. The dry-dock rebuild took until 1947 to complete. 

This half hour video shows the twenty foot scale model being made of the Campbelltown ( ex USS Buchanan ) for the diorama work in front of a green screen and water tank at the studios. Once you have watched the diorama video you will probably want to watch the full video of the action. 

Hopefully the links will become live when posted, if not please copy, cut and past into your browser. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dvHuMJJG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Zd0Oy8JyQ

.fullsizeoutput_7374.jpeg.29b9b81965018225d6e3cefca7417ec0.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Great posts all!

Meanwhile work on the Jeep continues... the rolling frame is all finsihed and awaiting transmission and engine...
Axles were rebuilt, brakes all new components and steering completely overhauled and checked...

Starting to look like a Jeep again...

161-GPW56685-10Nov20 (38).JPG

162-GPW56685-11Nov20 (2).jpg

2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Great posts all!

Meanwhile work on the Jeep continues... the rolling frame is all finsihed and awaiting transmission and engine...
Axles were rebuilt, brakes all new components and steering completely overhauled and checked...

Hi Johan, are those the parts that were leftover after the (re)build.......?😄 Just kidding. Looks great (as we have come to expect, of course ).

Rene

On 11/10/2020 at 1:07 AM, General Apathy said:

Model making for film-work . . . . . . .

Several years ago Jeremy Clarkson ( of Top-Gear Fame ) made a documentary about an early WWII British commando/ navy raid on the French dry dock at St. Nazaire.  St Nazaire was the largest dry dock on the west coast of France that could hold and repair if needed the largest German battleship the Tirpitz. The aim of the raid was to destroy the dry dock preventing any future use of it during the war by the Germans. Approximately 650 Commandos and sailors began the raid with around 150 surviving. The Campbelltown was rammed at speed under fire into the docks and blew up later on a time fuze. The Bell of the Campbelltown was donated to the town of Campbelltown P.A. The dry-dock rebuild took until 1947 to complete. 

This half hour video shows the twenty foot scale model being made of the Campbelltown ( ex USS Buchanan ) for the diorama work in front of a green screen and water tank at the studios. Once you have watched the diorama video you will probably want to watch the full video of the action. 

Hopefully the links will become live when posted, if not please copy, cut and past into your browser. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dvHuMJJG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Zd0Oy8JyQ

.fullsizeoutput_7374.jpeg.29b9b81965018225d6e3cefca7417ec0.jpeg

Hi Ken, Clarkson has made another great docu which tells about the Victoria Cross. It centers around the actions of major Robert Cain VC at Arnhem 1944. Clarkson is married to the daughter of major Cain.

General Apathy
6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Great posts all!

Hi Johan,  I thought you knew the gears, shafts and bearings are supposed to be housed in cast-iron cases, not plastic tubs, the plastic simply won't handle the heat and stresses once the Jeep gets rolling . . . . . . . . . . Looking good, should be great once finished . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 13  2020.

p.s. It's Nigel at Milweb's birthday today, feel sorry for him as it's a Friday 13th birthday, hope this evening doesn't turn into a nightmare . . . . . . . . . . . . . 🔪🔪  :lol:

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, Clarkson has made another great docu which tells about the Victoria Cross. It centers around the actions of major Robert Cain VC at Arnhem 1944. Clarkson is married to the daughter of major Cain.

Hi Rene,  several years back when the documentary was being made in Oosterbeek for Clarkson's father in law, myself and a Jeeping friend from London were also in Oosterbeek.

Sadly John and myself were there to say our farewells to our old Jeeping friend Marinus Veldhuizen who was at the end due to Cancer.  We had been at the house for the morning and Marinus's wife asked if we could go out for a few hours for Marinus to rest and sleep.  We walked down around the church area and spotted a wartime Jeep parked at the side of the road.  We walked towards it to take a look at it, it was UK registered.

As we stood looking at the Jeep we were approached by Clarkson, his wife and two of the documentary people, they said hello to us and were surprised to be answered in English.  We told them that we both owned Jeeps back at our house's, and then explained that we were visiting another Jeeping Dutch friend dying of Cancer.  We said we had been jokingly talking about ' stealing ' the Jeep and taking Marinus for one last ride around Oosterbeek. 

Smiling they said that they were happy we hadn't actually stolen it as they had only rented it for the period of shooting the documentary. Less than two weeks later we were back in Oosterbeek to attend the funeral of Marinus, many-many  Dutch vehicle owners and collectors and pupils from his school attended the funeral.  Marinus's coffin was carried atop a wartime trailer towed behind a Jeep for one last trip around his home town of Oosterbeek.  When we finally arrived at the church for the service his coffin was carried into the church to the strains of a Bag-Pipe player. It was all the most tear-jerking funeral I have ever attended.

Marinus featured in the 1984 MVCG tour magazine.  

.fullsizeoutput_754a.jpeg.8aa2f192c442bf8e01ff9c7dcba2315b.jpeg

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  I thought you knew the gears, shafts and bearings are supposed to be housed in cast-iron cases, not plastic tubs, the plastic simply won't handle the heat and stresses once the Jeep gets rolling . . . . . ..

OK, cast iron it is then...

162-GPW56685-11Nov20 (5).jpg

General Apathy

I remember Marinus riding that Welbike in the 'Hoek van Holland' Liberation parade in May 1985...

Hi Johan,  Marinus's Welbike lived on a polished wooden plinth in his living room . . . . . . . as a piece of art. :rolleyes:

General Apathy

OK, cast iron it is then...

162-GPW56685-11Nov20 (5).jpg

Hi Johan,

To paraphrase a Tom Cruise quote ' Show me the money '

' Show me the Ford marks '  . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol: :love:

Johan Willaert
2 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

' Show me the Ford marks '  . . . . . . . . . . 

here you go... early right fill gearbox...

will take more soon

FFF72324-E505-47BC-ABF4-2903D4E15C0E.jpeg

General Apathy
54 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

here you go... early right fill gearbox...

will take more soon

FFF72324-E505-47BC-ABF4-2903D4E15C0E.jpeg

Johan,  lovely shot . . . . . . . . . 👅

General Apathy
On 11/13/2020 at 12:02 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Great posts all!

Benefits of Jeep ownership . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 14  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_756e.jpeg.2c152603eafe084e11caafcaca6cb296.jpeg

On 11/8/2020 at 3:47 PM, General Apathy said:

Does anyone here read this information that now appears top right of the page when they open this thread . . . . . . . . .  asking for a friend.

I used to like the feature when it was possible to see how many and whom were reading the thread each visit.  

.fullsizeoutput_72d4.jpeg.0f7c019e2f9f95ab73ceca2190d896b2.jpeg

That doesn’t show up at all for me.

Very interesting.

On 11/8/2020 at 3:04 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,  it is claimed that these beer runs to the troops were stopped by the Tax Department,  I think in the UK you can still buy pints and/or bottles of ' Spitfire Ales ', not my tipple though G & T's for me . . . . . . . . .

Just par for the course that some bureaucrat puts an end to a good thing that I’m sure helped moral.

Johan Willaert
19 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Benefits of Jeep ownership . . . . . . . . . 

That postcard and this photo bring back many good memories of having a Jeep and living at the seaside at age 18... 😉

Jeep-MB-GPW-LifeGuard-PostWW2 (2).jpg

General Apathy

That postcard and this photo bring back many good memories of having a Jeep and living at the seaside at age 18... 😉

Jeep-MB-GPW-LifeGuard-PostWW2 (2).jpg

Hi Johan,

Yup it worked . . . . . . . . .  ( back in the day )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 15  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_75fa.jpeg.e07f620909957a5b175fd70ec048f4a4.jpeg

General Apathy
20 hours ago, manayunkman said:

That doesn’t show up at all for me.

Very interesting.

Hi Piet, 

someone else raised a question about it on another thread, pleased for you that you don't have it appear when you look in here . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 15  2020.