Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Well known photograph detail . . . . . . . .

Over the course of my collecting I have often heard comments ' they never did this / they never did that ' and then a photograph turns up to question those statements.

This is not a major reveal, but as we all know shoulder sleeve insignia should be worn on the left shoulder, so why in this image of Ranger patches being worn the serviceman top right has his patch on his RIGHT shoulder, the soldier far left has no patch on his left shoulder does he also have it on the right ???? Love a lot of the other detail to be seen in this photograph

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 06  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_71cb.jpeg.ad2e06855afb1aec2c36616e7c2acd00.jpeg

On 11/2/2020 at 8:27 PM, mikie said:

Nice revolver.  I've been fascinated by the US  Civil War for as long as I can remember.  I was about 5 when Dad decorated room I shared with my brothers in our new house with a set of US Army historical prints.  Right over my bed just happened to be this one of the Battle of Vicksburg.  So I slept under this thing for 20 or so years.  

Mikie

Vicksburg-i.jpg

So instead of sheep you were counting Yanks and Rebels..........

On 11/4/2020 at 12:47 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

The uncle of Mike a local Jeeping friend was lost with all hands aboard a British submarine in the Aegean Sea during WWII, about three years ago Mike and his wife made a pilgrimage to the Aegean Sea to float a wreath in the sea above the remains of the submarine. 

The submarine was HMS Trooper which was fitted with two housings to transport two man chariot torpedoes, these chariots slipped into German or Italian held harbours to attach limpet mines or the explosive nose-cone of the chariot to the underside of moored ships. 

An interesting insight into the design and manufacture of limpet mines is given in a book titled ' Winston Churchills Toyshop ', early in WWII Churchill set up a research and design facility to fight an unconventional and clandestine war against the Axis forces.  The limpet mines needed a slow working fuse for the mines enabling the divers to escape before activation of the mine. Here's where ingenuity came into the process one of the researchers came up with the idea of using a child's sweet ( US - Candy ) called a gob-stopper. These were a very hard ball mainly of sugar which took half an hour or more of swirling around the mouth to dissolve, ideal as a timing device for the limpet fuse. They simply made a visit to the local Woolworth's store and bought the entire supply of Gob-Stoppers, job done. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobstopper

The book ' Winston Churchill's Toyshop ' has many other interesting pieces of information and detail about weapons designed and used during WWII. Back in the 1980's I made a trip to see the ' Firs ' facility they used during WWII.  

https://www.staybehinds.com/origins-md1-winston-churchills-toyshop

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 03  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_7114.jpeg.4653223050b4310fa72116bcd39e2c43.jpeg

Ki Ken, thanks for the interesting story. There's also another book that's more or less in a same vein: Churchill's ministry of ungentlemanly warfare (great title 🙂) that's well worth a read.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

Ki Ken, thanks for the interesting story. There's also another book that's more or less in a same vein: Churchill's ministry of ungentlemanly warfare (great title 🙂) that's well worth a read.

Hi Rene,  pleased that you enjoyed the details of that post, and I know you favour quotes or comments about Churchill.  

General Apathy

Another interesting shoulder patch detail. . . . . . . . . 

D-Day 101st Airborne sleeve insignia with white tongue . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_71e7.jpeg.bf98c68a85f0a85af3ae7a94337f6989.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . 

Sorting through a few more cartons from the Shoebox yesterday I found a wedge of leftover unused MVCG newspapers printed in advance of the 1984 tour, these were sold at camp-sites along the tour route to local visitors viewing the vehicles.  The four page newspaper featured a selection of owners taking their vehicles on the tour, and a centre-page spread of the route and campsites. If I recall correctly there were approximately 150 WWII vehicles or more participating. 

I took my 6 x 6 long wheel base 353 GMC truck this particular year.  

.fullsizeoutput_7234.jpeg.172bcf1206e58c55397fd98d16b0c583.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7230.jpeg.2e6c58eab49af9050fcd627659e8eb33.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3c6b.jpeg.07b2c1f908dcc9175bb0e4841c52fd61.jpeg 

.photo.JPG.ac8a0b4093d439f2024ce07961346777.JPG

The writing isn't on the wall.............

I'm a big fan of the After the Battle, Then and Now books (and magazine, of course). While leafing through my latest addition I came across a photo that immediately made me think: the writing was on the street back then as much as it is today.

SAM_0355.JPG.b097766804899e06d13c9b4ab79dc3e9.JPG

db22f7bf649b436a0fe40cf84954e024e22e2faa.jpg.8baf8b63e3cd8120bf94b3d3f34b6d2c.jpg

SAM_9096.JPG.fe5aa1a5a03b35c521d600df71b73e93.JPG

The picture above urges people to keep distance from each other in Dutch and German language (Venlo is close to the German border and we get our fair share of  German visitors). And just to be clear: I don't want to compare a world war with a pandemic but sometimes you can see some parallels. 

Rene 

On 11/3/2020 at 12:42 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, I have a set of historical US Army prints, its possible that this very same image might be amongst the set, its been a long time since I saw them, buried well deep in the shoebox due to a lack of display space.

Seeing this image of two sides of the same nation fighting such bloody battles deeply saddens me to my soul, I hope that once was enough and never again. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 03  2020. 

I looked online and found this link to the Army prints. 

https://history.army.mil/html/artphoto/pripos/usaia.html

The first 5 I distinctly remember, but the others are new to me.  I do remember a WWI print, but it is different from the set shown here.

Mikie

34 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

The writing isn't on the wall.............

I'm a big fan of the After the Battle, Then and Now books (and magazine, of course). While leafing through my latest addition I came across a photo that immediately made me think: the writing was on the street back then as much as it is today.

SAM_0355.JPG.b097766804899e06d13c9b4ab79dc3e9.JPG

db22f7bf649b436a0fe40cf84954e024e22e2faa.jpg.8baf8b63e3cd8120bf94b3d3f34b6d2c.jpg

SAM_9096.JPG.fe5aa1a5a03b35c521d600df71b73e93.JPG

The picture above urges people to keep distance from each other in Dutch and German language (Venlo is close to the German border and we get our fair share of  German visitors). And just to be clear: I don't want to compare a world war with a pandemic but sometimes you can see some parallels. 

Rene 

Just the other day I mentioned to a friend that during the war, at least here in the US, and I'm sure in Britain, that generation of people were willing and eager to make sacrifices, ration food, gasoline, donate their sauce pans to make Spitfires, etc. All united in the will to do what was needed to win the war. But today's generation whines about and is unwilling to even just wear a mask to save health and lives to fight this war against Covid.  Pretty sad when you compare  Then and Now.  

Mikie

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . 

Sorting through a few more cartons from the Shoebox yesterday I found a wedge of leftover unused MVCG newspapers printed in advance of the 1984 tour, these were sold at camp-sites along the tour route to local visitors viewing the vehicles.  The four page newspaper featured a selection of owners taking their vehicles on the tour, and a centre-page spread of the route and campsites. If I recall correctly there were approximately 150 WWII vehicles or more participating. 

I took my 6 x 6 long wheel base 353 GMC truck this particular year.  

.fullsizeoutput_7234.jpeg.172bcf1206e58c55397fd98d16b0c583.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7230.jpeg.2e6c58eab49af9050fcd627659e8eb33.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3c6b.jpeg.07b2c1f908dcc9175bb0e4841c52fd61.jpeg 

.photo.JPG.ac8a0b4093d439f2024ce07961346777.JPG

Careful there.   That gator looks hungry.

Mikie

General Apathy
12 hours ago, mikie said:

Just the other day I mentioned to a friend that during the war, at least here in the US, and I'm sure in Britain, that generation of people were willing and eager to make sacrifices, ration food, gasoline, donate their sauce pans to make Spitfires, etc. All united in the will to do what was needed to win the war. But today's generation whines about and is unwilling to even just wear a mask to save health and lives to fight this war against Covid.  Pretty sad when you compare  Then and Now.  

Mikie

Hi Rene & Mikie,  thanks for raising the posts about the current Pandemic virus the world is trying to deal with.  Without being too crude I will use the phrase an SAS friend often uses when talking of peoples opinions ' Opinions are like rump-holes we all have one '. There are many opinions about the virus, its deadly, it doesn't exist, it's a conspiracy, it's contagious, it only kills older people, we don't need to wear masks, etc, etc. 

My sister lives in a small village in the Snowdonia region of North Wales, there is very little or even no entertainment for people in their 20's, so most of that age group drive over to Liverpool for a nights entertainment.  One young guy in the village did this and visited a night-club in Liverpool. However he picked up the virus and brought it back to his parents house, his mother has already died from the virus and his father is in intensive care, he learnt to his mistake that it does exist, it is contagious, it does kill, family included. 

The mask and avoiding groups of people seems like all we have at the moment to deal with this. Over here in France it's being taken very seriously we currently have a national lock-down to leave the house we have to download a pro-forma paperwork. There are only three reasons for leaving the house, food, medical reasons, an emergency,  we have to fill in our names, address, date and time of leaving the house.  Fines are heavy and increasing for further infringements and ultimately jail time, police and gendarmes are active at many road junctions.  All bars, restaurants and entertainment venues are closed total. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 07  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_7267.jpeg.72b20ef265da11ab82151d5eb2943d0c.jpeg 

General Apathy
12 hours ago, mikie said:

Careful there.   That gator looks hungry.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Trust me,  I'm a trained hygienist I am just removing plaque from the gator's mouth . . . :lol:

General Apathy

Interesting website . . . . . . . .

You may find this WW2 report  fascinating - wade through it for gems like this, if the link doesn't go live please copy, cut and paste into your browser . . . . . . . . . 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015023079422&view=1up&seq=1

.fullsizeoutput_7272.jpeg.2ae62b28c4b30d702c37953ce8016811.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Interesting website . . . . . . . .

You may find this WW2 report  fascinating - wade through it for gems like this, if the link doesn't go live please copy, cut and paste into your browser . . . . . . . . . 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015023079422&view=1up&seq=1

.fullsizeoutput_7272.jpeg.2ae62b28c4b30d702c37953ce8016811.jpeg

Very interesting link.......the only problem is finding the time to read it all 😉

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

Very interesting link.......the only problem is finding the time to read it all 😉

Hi Rene.

Something else to degrade your time 28 minute video of WWII US weapons and effects . . . interesting as well in the amount of German armour that they must have shipped back to the States for research and evaluation . . . . . . 

Shown below is an uncommon weapon the Frangible Grenade and M1 ignitor .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QgXuhv7-54

Again if the link doest go live, copy, cut and paste into your web browser . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_7274.jpeg.78cd2d876a46bd32efd1d9fb723ce8d3.jpeg

That’s a great film Ken.

I had a 16mm training and propaganda film collection back in the 60s and 70s from a WW2 vet.

We would have movie night in my room at college.

The infantry weapons and “find the Japanese kill the Japanese” were our favorites.

I haven’t seen it since 1976 thank you 

General Apathy

Just found out  . . . . . . 

Well it appears I have something in common with Joe Biden, we both have a framed copy of this cartoon . . . . . . . . . . it’s probably twenty years old at least I would think

.fullsizeoutput_7276.jpeg.bbda7a7854430b456c6d13a7402a1189.jpeg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

That’s a great film Ken.

I had a 16mm training and propaganda film collection back in the 60s and 70s from a WW2 vet.

The infantry weapons and “find the Japanese kill the Japanese” were our favorites.

Hi Piet,  

Thanks I am pleased that you at least have seen it and enjoyed it . . . . . . . . . . ;)

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

That’s a great film Ken.

Having lived at home while in school, that isn't quite the kind of college movie night I imagined there. But if have been in for it. 

2 hours ago, manayunkman said:

That’s a great film Ken.

Having lived at home while in school, that isn't quite the kind of college movie night I imagined there. But if have been in for it. 

General Apathy

Question & Answer . . . . . . . . . 

What's the weird helmet configuration this Italian campaign BAR operator wearing, easy answer he has somehow moulded/glued/stuck a mosquito net to his helmet for camouflage . . . . . . . personally I have not seen this done before . . . . .  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 08  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_72c3.jpeg.91df5c1e352e4985b8859ff6d47bcf8c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_72c4.jpeg.e2f4701aec42d1788e2a1d0b9ff6939a.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Pararafta,  I wondered that as well, as you say it doesn't look like a bottle of vino, perhaps it's a puppy ??? :lol:

Pleased that you have joined in on the netting photo, here's something else you might enjoy another net that came out the Shoebox a couple of days ago whilst sorting things . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 08  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_72c7.jpeg.0a261c87dcc741c9ebb18078e9dc70bf.jpeg

On 1/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, here the southern half of the village, top left corner a crashed C-47 believed to be #42-92868, 313th TCG, and all survived having jumped before crashing in . . . . .

A Horsa glider mid photo, and a Waco bottom right corner.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 21 2020

.post-344-0-01105700-1579620880.jpeg

#42-92868 crashed in the channel and all crew members were killed.
In fact this aircraft is #42-100876 flown by Lt. Marvin Muir and his crew. Aircrew killed in the crash
http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aeropus/en_crash.php