Norman D. Landing

bilko1

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From a French Face-Fart page . . . . . . . . .

Now the question has to be real, faked, dropped re-enactor item not enough evidence with the image. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 02  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_707e.jpeg.2eaa1139dc8ef40800546574bab229c3.jpeg

Jiminy Cricket!  That's exciting!

Mikie

1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Nice one... Next to WW2 memorabilia, I have always had an interest in the Civil War...

I don't really collect original stuff from the era, but I do have this Italian Replica of the Model 1860 Army revolver...

M1860-1.jpg

Nice revolver.  I've been fascinated by the US  Civil War for as long as I can remember.  I was about 5 when Dad decorated room I shared with my brothers in our new house with a set of US Army historical prints.  Right over my bed just happened to be this one of the Battle of Vicksburg.  So I slept under this thing for 20 or so years.  

Mikie

Vicksburg-i.jpg

I lived in Gettysburg for several years, nice town.

President Lincoln had an address there too.

And for the Jeep lovers here is what is available on today’s market.

Somehow they didn’t finish.

6E444574-160C-4B6B-81A5-397BF0EB6E6B.jpeg

General Apathy
On 11/2/2020 at 8:27 PM, mikie said:

Nice revolver.  I've been fascinated by the US  Civil War for as long as I can remember.  I was about 5 when Dad decorated room I shared with my brothers in our new house with a set of US Army historical prints.  Right over my bed just happened to be this one of the Battle of Vicksburg.  So I slept under this thing for 20 or so years.  

Mikie

Vicksburg-i.jpg

Hi Mikie, I have a set of historical US Army prints, its possible that this very same image might be amongst the set, its been a long time since I saw them, buried well deep in the shoebox due to a lack of display space.

Seeing this image of two sides of the same nation fighting such bloody battles deeply saddens me to my soul, I hope that once was enough and never again. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 03  2020. 

General Apathy
On 11/2/2020 at 9:25 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Great painting! I visited Gettysburg in the mid 1990s and Chickamauga back in 2010... impressive visits...

Hi Johan,  well we must have been treading the same ground around about the same time in the 90's . . . . . . If I recall correctly I visited a Militaria dealer at Gettysburg, managed to find a couple of WWII pieces. 

General Apathy
3 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Hi Piet,  and interesting mix of WWII and post-war parts, also Willys and Ford parts, the timber seems to be a more recent addition or repair to the storage. Wish it was local to me here, would enjoy a day picking pieces of there. 

I started laughing as I saw the photo, only a few days ago I was making fun of my friend Jim Dowdall and an old truck resting on his farmland. A restoration project that was never got round to, due to several other projects rebuilt ahead of it. . . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_6e9a.jpeg.935e470626eb3f521bf537f245ebbcc2.jpeg

General Apathy

Wartime newspaper clipping . . . . . . . 

with the mention of Jeeps again Len a long-term Jeeping friend emailed me this newspaper clipping a few days ago, he spotted it in a WWII newspaper he then bid on. 

.fullsizeoutput_6d76.jpeg.8878ea3654d850521c5150f56367727f.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

with the mention of Jeeps again Len a long-term Jeeping friend emailed me this newspaper clipping a few days ago, he spotted it in a WWII newspaper he then bid on. 

Nice salute to Britain's submarine service.  It is sadly often overlooked compared the the US,German and Japanese underwater efforts.  

4 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Just needs a roll of Duct tape.  OK, maybe 2 rolls.  

General Apathy

German POW's housed in US camps 1943 - 1945

I just found these two Youtube videos regarding German POW's held in American camps during WWII.

#1 Camp Ruston, Louisiana.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjcbeKd4Y2s

#2 Camp Concordia, Kansas.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeAuuyIuF1k

General Apathy
5 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Hi Piet,

President Lincoln,  Log cabin or Condo . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

8 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Piet,

President Lincoln,  Log cabin or Condo . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

It was a shack by the railroad tracks.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

Nice salute to Britain's submarine service.  It is sadly often overlooked compared the US, German and Japanese underwater efforts.  

Hi Mikie,

The uncle of Mike a local Jeeping friend was lost with all hands aboard a British submarine in the Aegean Sea during WWII, about three years ago Mike and his wife made a pilgrimage to the Aegean Sea to float a wreath in the sea above the remains of the submarine. 

The submarine was HMS Trooper which was fitted with two housings to transport two man chariot torpedoes, these chariots slipped into German or Italian held harbours to attach limpet mines or the explosive nose-cone of the chariot to the underside of moored ships. 

An interesting insight into the design and manufacture of limpet mines is given in a book titled ' Winston Churchills Toyshop ', early in WWII Churchill set up a research and design facility to fight an unconventional and clandestine war against the Axis forces.  The limpet mines needed a slow working fuse for the mines enabling the divers to escape before activation of the mine. Here's where ingenuity came into the process one of the researchers came up with the idea of using a child's sweet ( US - Candy ) called a gob-stopper. These were a very hard ball mainly of sugar which took half an hour or more of swirling around the mouth to dissolve, ideal as a timing device for the limpet fuse. They simply made a visit to the local Woolworth's store and bought the entire supply of Gob-Stoppers, job done. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobstopper

The book ' Winston Churchill's Toyshop ' has many other interesting pieces of information and detail about weapons designed and used during WWII. Back in the 1980's I made a trip to see the ' Firs ' facility they used during WWII.  

https://www.staybehinds.com/origins-md1-winston-churchills-toyshop

.fullsizeoutput_7114.jpeg.4653223050b4310fa72116bcd39e2c43.jpeg

General Apathy

Once again the links above to the POW camps appear inactive,  if so please copy, cut, and past into a browser . . . . . . . . 

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

German POW's housed in US camps 1943 - 1945

I just found these two Youtube videos regarding German POW's held in American camps during WWII.

#1 Camp Ruston, Louisiana. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjcbeKd4Y2s

#2 Camp Concordia, Kansas.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeAuuyIuF1k

During the war, my grandparents and my Mom visited relatives (or maybe paisanos, I don't remember anymore) who were prisoners at a nearby Italian POW camp. I think it was at Fort Drum, NY. My Dad used to tease them about fraternizing with the enemy while he was off getting shot at.

Johan Willaert
11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Truth or 'Dairy'...

A 'salty' Jeep for 3 gallons of Ice Cream...

From a July 1944 National Geographic Magazine...

12968078_1748317822079597_2305170447320838575_o.jpg

Johan Willaert
11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  well we must have been treading the same ground around about the same time in the 90's . . . . . . If I recall correctly I visited a Militaria dealer at Gettysburg, managed to find a couple of WWII pieces.

Here's a photo of another forum member (you know who) and me on the Civil War Battlefields near his home...

USA2010-Chickamauga (1).jpg

On 11/2/2020 at 12:25 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Great painting! I visited Gettysburg in the mid 1990s and Chickamauga back in 2010... impressive visits...

My first visit to Gettysburg was when I was in my late teens, 1976ish. It was a family trip with my folks and my beloved Aunt Rosemary and Uncle Phil. I remember we all rubbed Col O'Rorke's nose on the 140th NY regiment monument for good luck.  My second trip there was about 10 years ago. This time I was with my wonderful wife and 10 year old daughter. I have to say that it was a little emotional as we stood in the same spot and rubbed the Colonel's nose again. Mom, Dad, Aunt and Uncle were all long gone. Very strange emotion hit me.  It was almost as if I was living a Then and Now in my head.  I've never felt like that before or since.  

Mikie   

21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

The uncle of Mike a local Jeeping friend was lost with all hands aboard a British submarine in the Aegean Sea during WWII, about three years ago Mike and his wife made a pilgrimage to the Aegean Sea to float a wreath in the sea above the remains of the submarine. 

The submarine was HMS Trooper which was fitted with two housings to transport two man chariot torpedoes, these chariots slipped into German or Italian held harbours to attach limpet mines or the explosive nose-cone of the chariot to the underside of moored ships. 

An interesting insight into the design and manufacture of limpet mines is given in a book titled ' Winston Churchills Toyshop ', early in WWII Churchill set up a research and design facility to fight an unconventional and clandestine war against the Axis forces.  The limpet mines needed a slow working fuse for the mines enabling the divers to escape before activation of the mine. Here's where ingenuity came into the process one of the researchers came up with the idea of using a child's sweet ( US - Candy ) called a gob-stopper. These were a very hard ball mainly of sugar which took half an hour or more of swirling around the mouth to dissolve, ideal as a timing device for the limpet fuse. They simply made a visit to the local Woolworth's store and bought the entire supply of Gob-Stoppers, job done. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobstopper

The book ' Winston Churchill's Toyshop ' has many other interesting pieces of information and detail about weapons designed and used during WWII. Back in the 1980's I made a trip to see the ' Firs ' facility they used during WWII.  

https://www.staybehinds.com/origins-md1-winston-churchills-toyshop

.fullsizeoutput_7114.jpeg.4653223050b4310fa72116bcd39e2c43.jpeg

Interesting.  I'll need to look for that book.  I'm down to a stack of just 20 or so books to read at the moment, so I'm getting a little nervous about running out! 

Mikie

General Apathy
On 11/4/2020 at 9:26 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Here's a photo of another forum member (you know who) and me on the Civil War Battlefields near his home...

USA2010-Chickamauga (1).jpg

Hi Johan,  I might be a bit of a lose cannon here but I guess I recognise the two faces, say hi to them when you see them  . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 06  2020. 

General Apathy
On 11/4/2020 at 9:27 AM, Johan Willaert said:

North & South...

Do these faces look familiar, Ken?

USA2010-Chickamauga (17).jpg

Hi Johan,  were they wearing belts, bayonets and water bottles as well . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 06  2020.