Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert

Thx Ken.... Now comes the fun part of taking ready-to-install parts from the shelve and just bolt them on.... a giant Meccano...

And yes, like this she will turn 100.... past 78 now...

General Apathy
22 hours ago, mikie said:

Hi Johan.  I'm always interested in seeing these nut and bolt level jeep builds.  Do you have it down to the point that you can assemble one blindfolded yet?

Hi Mikie,

Well you like the stories and posts about Jeeps, here's a great Jeeping story ( 27 minutes ) in your own back yard, well California at least.  The video relates the wartime life of the town of Stockton in California during WWII.  The pilots that trained there, the ships built in its harbor, the High School collecting money to buy Jeeps for the army, 275 of them,  each Jeep given a numbered plaque, post war one was eventually found abandoned in Oklahoma and shipped back to Stockton for the museum. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQi83WEHhI

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 28  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_6ee2.jpeg.94b09a22b47af7d87eabdd1b9c90d3f2.jpeg

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Well you like the stories and posts about Jeeps, here's a great Jeeping story ( 27 minutes ) in your own back yard, well California at least.  The video relates the wartime life of the town of Stockton in California during WWII.  The pilots that trained there, the ships built in its harbor, the High School collecting money to buy Jeeps for the army, 275 of them,  each Jeep given a numbered plaque, post war one was eventually found abandoned in Oklahoma and shipped back to Stockton for the museum. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCQi83WEHhI

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 28  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_6ee2.jpeg.94b09a22b47af7d87eabdd1b9c90d3f2.jpeg

Thanks for the video. Stockton is about 75 miles from here. Can't recall stopping there. But pass by it often on trips to visit inlaws. I'll have to look up that museum sometime and check out that jeep.

Johan Willaert
On 10/28/2020 at 10:04 PM, General Apathy said:

the High School collecting money to buy Jeeps for the army, 275 of them,  each Jeep given a numbered plaque, 

Next to schools, also companies and factories sponsored and donated Jeeps to the US Govt...

Here's another example of a 1942 Ford GPW with donation plaque on the side of the body...
Jeep is being used in a drive to find war workers...

GPW-Sep1942-DonationPlaque.JPG

General Apathy
On 10/30/2020 at 9:42 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Next to schools, also companies and factories sponsored and donated Jeeps to the US Govt...

Here's another example of a 1942 Ford GPW with donation plaque on the side of the body...

Hi Mikie & Johan,  yes the Stockton video is an interesting insight into the town during WWII and their contributions.

Johan,  great photo of the recruiting Jeep, not seen that before . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 31  2020. 

General Apathy

It's Hollywood stick a cross on it, the public are too dumb to know it's a Harley . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_6f96.jpeg.bec31e5b7a9d2727a7a6ef379d43f03d.jpeg

General Apathy

For you it's Halloween day, for me it's Birthday  . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_7010.jpeg.45dad3423cce0799293c3f3bfa9c6b20.jpeg

44 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

It's Hollywood stick a cross on it, the public are too dumb to know it's a Harley . . . . . . 

Well, she doesn't seem to mind...........

Rene

On 10/30/2020 at 9:42 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Great picture.

Rene

On 10/26/2020 at 1:29 AM, Glidertrooper said:

Hello gentlemen, I have a small Normandy update for you from this side of the Channel... Visited Portsmouth with my little boy the other weekend and a headed over to the D-Day Story museum on Southsea seafront specifically to check on the progress of their newest installation...

IMG_2811.JPG.501a58e2d450b3ec9e23999c47fb6b43.JPG

As you can see LCT7074 is coming along very nicely and pandemic issues permitting, I would calculate she will likely be ready for public access in 2021.

What you cannot see because the ramp is up, is that the Sherman tank and Churchill Crocodile tank with trailer (a 79th Armoured Division 'Hobart's Funny' and one of my favourites!), which were formerly positioned outside the museum, are now already in place inside the landing craft to complete the display.

Very much looking forward to getting a proper look round her when it opens properly and will post more pictures.

You can read more about LCT7074 on her own wikipedia page -->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCT_7074 - Have to say I was quite amazed to learn she ferried her original D-Day compliment of tanks all the way from the East Anglian coast, which is the region were I was born.

And probably fitting given the 2020 Poppy collecting season started this weekend and I am an official RBL Poppy Appeal Collector; if you would like a tiny little bit of LCT7074 to take home, you can! --> https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/products/second-world-war-armed-forces-pin - Plus you will be helping the Poppy Appeal charity in the process. Lest we forget.

Cheers......John

Hi John, you've probably seen these pictures already since you like Crocs but just in case you haven't here's a link 

https://www.how-amps.org/churchill-crocodile

Rene

Glidertrooper
4 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi John, you've probably seen these pictures already since you like Crocs but just in case you haven't here's a link 

https://www.how-amps.org/churchill-crocodile

Rene

Fabulous! Thank you Rene, I had not seen many of those pictures before, but I am thoroughly enjoying them now.

Cheers......John 

Glidertrooper
5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Happy Birthday Ken! 

I am only a couple of year behind you it seems, but my eyesight must be worst, as I really am struggling to see the Harley in the picture!!

Hope you have had a great day.

Cheers......John

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Well that explains why you have a little bit of devil in you.  In a nice way, of course. Sorry this may be late to wish you happy birthday, so I'll send my best wishes for the year till your next one! 

Mikie

Remington Arms company in Ilion, New York, is just a few miles from my old hometown of Utica.  My brother Dave worked there for over 20 years as a QA inspector.  His wonderful wife Mary's family had worked there for generations.  So it is sad news that the factory is now closed down and sold off.  Remington has been building  guns there since 1816 and supplied weapons to the US war efforts from the Civil War on.  Here are a couple of articles about the past and present of the Ilion factory.  

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/remington-timeline-1941-remington-goes-to-war/248393

https://www.centredaily.com/news/business/article246875037.html

One of the very few items i have left from my original shoebox is this US Civil War Remington New Model Army revolver made in 1862. I sold almost all of that collection in 1981 to help finance my move to California.  I just couldn't let it go.  I bought it about 1975.  It was a wreck that I eventually managed to get in working condition, though it is still just a wall hangar.  

Rem new Model.jpg

General Apathy
On 10/31/2020 at 4:59 PM, General Apathy said:

Thank you all, Johan, Rene, Graham, Robert, Piet, John, Mikie, AZPhil, Erick for the greetings you sent me.  

a long-term Jeeping friend sent me the greeting below added to a painting that one of his daughters had painted for his birthday the day before mine . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 02  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_7032.jpeg.0cf5e07d783e2ad32fc4b505654f63b9.jpeg

General Apathy

From a French Face-Fart page . . . . . . . . .

Now the question has to be real, faked, dropped re-enactor item not enough evidence with the image. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 02  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_707e.jpeg.2eaa1139dc8ef40800546574bab229c3.jpeg

Johan Willaert
14 hours ago, mikie said:

One of the very few items i have left from my original shoebox is this US Civil War Remington New Model Army revolver made in 1862. I sold almost all of that collection in 1981 to help finance my move to California.  I just couldn't let it go.  I bought it about 1975.  It was a wreck that I eventually managed to get in working condition, though it is still just a wall hangar.  

Nice one... Next to WW2 memorabilia, I have always had an interest in the Civil War...

I don't really collect original stuff from the era, but I do have this Italian Replica of the Model 1860 Army revolver...

M1860-1.jpg