Norman D. Landing

bilko1

A year ago today the 75th commemoration of the Waal crossing took place in excellent conditions and under normal circumstances...........what a difference a year makes. 

Shown is the bridge that's been placed at almost the exact spot where the crossing (by members of the 504th PIR) took place in 1944. The bridge is named "de oversteek" which translates as "the crossing". This photo was taken about an hour before the re-enactment of the crossing took place and already people are securing a good viewing spot.

Rene

865519789_DSC_7179(4).JPG.a4ba5c4fc096197f84d69dd010561c7d.JPG

Owen, real Sherman turret or prop?

Thanks for the pics.

Rene

R
Turret was a build.
It was used in several scenes including the run in with the tiger as it blew of to camera.
The body was real.
In fact several range targets were sourced and repaired for use.
It’s pretty amazing to see what’s actually lying around on ranges even to this day.
O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Apathy
On 9/20/2020 at 12:20 PM, Dogsbody said:

A year ago today the 75th commemoration of the Waal crossing took place in excellent conditions and under normal circumstances...........what a difference a year makes. 

Shown is the bridge that's been placed at almost the exact spot where the crossing (by members of the 504th PIR) took place in 1944. The bridge is named "de oversteek" which translates as "the crossing". This photo was taken about an hour before the re-enactment of the crossing took place and already people are securing a good viewing spot.

Rene

865519789_DSC_7179(4).JPG.a4ba5c4fc096197f84d69dd010561c7d.JPG

Hi Rene,  thanks for the post and photo reminding us of the 75th anniversary of the river crossing. It should be remembered. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 21  2020.

General Apathy
5 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Commemorating one of the most important historic feats of last century.........in style!

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for the video clip reminding us of the Battle of Britain anniversary, for the first time since the war there was no veteran in attendance, due in part to the current social distancing brought about by the Coronavirus. 

John Hemingway a 100-year-old Second World War veteran reported to be the last surviving Allied fighter pilot from the Battle of Britain. Hemingway fought with the Royal Air Force along with 3,000 other servicemen described by Prime Minister Winston Churchill at the time as "the few". 

.fullsizeoutput_659f.jpeg.7c42254395224466b58389c348577167.jpeg

General Apathy
5 hours ago, sundance said:

I love that Battle of Britain tribute. It gets your blood up. I wonder how many flying Spits and Hurricanes are still out there.

Hi Sundance,  presently it's recorded as around 60 airworthy Spitfires and 12 airworthy Hurricanes, I believe the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight fly two of each. 

General Apathy

Todays Normandy gift . . . . . . . 

Today I was given this locally found rather rusted empty mortar shell casing, difficult to identify nationality but appears to be around the 60mm size.

.fullsizeoutput_659a.jpeg.7aa48cd1a01655b8f59c4eee5b07c251.jpeg

General Apathy

Todays recycling project . . . . . . .

My parents were late teenage during WWII and learnt from their parents to ' waste not - want not ' which was a wartime period catch-frase . . . . .

So for todays project I started with this cooking oil container, most people take this sort of item to the dump, however I rescued it from the dump . . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_65ab.jpeg.1d1becad9daa9d5939721c6886ffaa41.jpeg

General Apathy

Grabbed this sturdy container from the recycling dump today, chopped the top off, drilled holes in both sides, made some wooden battens for inside to support the rope handles.

Great for multitude of purposes, carry tools out to the garden, picnic carrier fits exactly in the space between the Jeep seats, also suitable for cold drinks and fill with ice to keep chilled,  garden log carrier, water bucket, and many other uses’s  . . . . . . . . . . . . another weeding the garden, going to grab another couple when I next visit the recycling dump. B)

Hope other readers find this a useful idea . . . . . . maybe post your uses's  . . . . . . . :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_65ac.jpeg.2fe6c95ebb43d635aa7ad4c05efe7dba.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_65ae.jpeg.1611c8b27aaf9e8ac761619ba37719ce.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_65ad.jpeg.e089411ffdf32cd9f21a50f98d5d309f.jpeg

As to the Battle of Britain tribute, I have to say those Hurricanes are my favorites - not as flashy as the Spitfires but there is just something about them. The trailing Spitfire seems to have been modified somewhat. It appears to have squared off wing tips and a bubble canopy. Was that a later model perhaps or an I just seeing things?

20 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Grabbed this sturdy container from the recycling dump today, chopped the top off, drilled holes in both sides, made some wooden battens for inside to support the rope handles.

Great for multitude of purposes, carry tools out to the garden, picnic carrier fits exactly in the space between the Jeep seats, also suitable for cold drinks and fill with ice to keep chilled,  garden log carrier, water bucket, and many other uses’s  . . . . . . . . . . . . another weeding the garden, going to grab another couple when I next visit the recycling dump. B)

Hope other readers find this a useful idea . . . . . . maybe post your uses's  . . . . . . . :lol:

nice item. finally figuired thisv out?

21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Handy carryall. And you are doing your part to save the environment!  I vaguely recall you posting some other clever bits of refuse reuse a while back, but can't remember what they were. I have a hard time throwing stuff away.  Never know when something will come in handy.  Here are a couple of mine...an old fireplace tool holder for my US Civil War swords.  And when I needed something to cover the control panel for my sprinkler system, I modified an old kitchen drawer.  

Sword Stand.jpg

Sprinkler Control Cover.jpg

On 9/21/2020 at 11:29 PM, General Apathy said:

John Hemingway a 100-year-old Second World War veteran reported to be the last surviving Allied fighter pilot from the Battle of Britain. Hemingway fought with the Royal Air Force along with 3,000 other servicemen described by Prime Minister Winston Churchill at the time as "the few".

Another BoB veteran, Geoffrey Wellum, unfortunately passed away in 2018. He was known for his published memoirs 'First Light'. On these a movie with the same name was based, starring Sam Heughan (known from the TV show 'Outlander'), I highly recommend watching it if you have a chance.

General Apathy
17 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

nice item. finally figured this posting out?

Hi Robert,  pleased to have you posting again . . . . . . . it is a different format to the older forum, for me the very best part is the ease of adding images.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 23  2020.

General Apathy
On 9/18/2020 at 3:39 AM, cutiger83 said:

Ken and Johan,

In the military vehicles section on the forum, Jagjetta started a thread with a quiz on your knowledge of jeeps. I think the two of you need to take the quiz to see who knows jeeps better! 

...Kat

Hi Kat, as you have mentioned before that you really like the Jeep posts here's a nice one from my UK friends camping trip two weekends ago,  four quite rare pre mid 1942 models, Bantam, Willys MB slatgrill, Ford GP, Willys MB slat grill.  

.fullsizeoutput_666c.jpeg.317d5eb62ba824893a9c8ef2ed9238e1.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat, as you have mentioned before that you really like the Jeep posts here's a nice one from my UK friends camping trip two weekends ago,  four quite rare pre mid 1942 models, Bantam, Willys MB slatgrill, Ford GP, Willys MB slat grill.  

.fullsizeoutput_666c.jpeg.317d5eb62ba824893a9c8ef2ed9238e1.jpeg

what a great group. looks like fun

General Apathy
19 hours ago, mikie said:

Handy carryall. And you are doing your part to save the environment!  I vaguely recall you posting some other clever bits of refuse reuse a while back, but can't remember what they were. I have a hard time throwing stuff away.  Never know when something will come in handy.  Here are a couple of mine...an old fireplace tool holder for my US Civil War swords.  And when I needed something to cover the control panel for my sprinkler system, I modified an old kitchen drawer.  

Sword Stand.jpg

Sprinkler Control Cover.jpg

Hi Mikie,  great to recycle rather than waste . . . . . . . regarding re-use of your old kitchen drawer, about ten years ago I posted shots of a 1920's Champagne crate I recycled to cover the house electric switches, here it is again. 

fullsizeoutput_6686.jpeg.ef0cb4232d8b1e349020383f546ae417.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_668c.jpeg.42a2c64317d46d12ad6c13884db5307f.jpeg

General Apathy
14 hours ago, earlymb said:

Another BoB veteran, Geoffrey Wellum, unfortunately passed away in 2018. He was known for his published memoirs 'First Light'. On these a movie with the same name was based, starring Sam Heughan (known from the TV show 'Outlander'), I highly recommend watching it if you have a chance.

Hi David,  thanks,  don't recall having seen that, I will try and check it out

7 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  great to recycle rather than waste . . . . . . . regarding re-use of your old kitchen drawer, about ten years ago I posted shots of a 1920's Champagne crate I recycled to cover the house electric switches, here it is again. 

fullsizeoutput_6686.jpeg.ef0cb4232d8b1e349020383f546ae417.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_668c.jpeg.42a2c64317d46d12ad6c13884db5307f.jpeg

That's great!  It may have been what I was thinking of.  There was half-remembered reused something you did that was rattling around in my tiny brain.  

General Apathy
2 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

what a great group. looks like fun

Hi Robert, they all said they had a great weekend . . . . . . Jim firing up his BMW R70, bottom left corner shows the edge of his Kettenkrad tracked bike . . . . . . . . 

.IMG_7896.jpeg.d48e2633ab46092899cbfd4890cc0172.jpeg

.IMG_7888.jpeg.9cfa0cd423b6ab0d3b8c7b22409e5c27.jpeg

.2f05b3ad-45a7-4592-9194-ad602d471411.jpeg.43105712f2e9c4c04cd25d248620a288.jpeg

General Apathy
7 minutes ago, mikie said:

That's great!  It may have been what I was thinking of.  There was half-remembered reused something you did that was rattling around in my tiny brain.  

Hi Mikie,  I think what you were really thinking of was the Pooper-Scooper I made up a few months back for dealing with feral farm cats that poop on the gravel drive thinking they have found a monster cat litter area.

.fullsizeoutput_2d62.jpeg.ad8c348dfbf9cefb27340ea080a78c99.jpeg