Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Normandy finds . . . . . . . 

A few days ago a friend in the village dug a hole to set a new gate post into, he found this bottom half of a US meat-can as he dug the hole, sadly the handle was missing appeared to have been wrenched off before the meat-can was discarded. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 14  2020.

.IMG_5517.JPG.29b253b126a9c8bd336e7a879015b46c.JPG

General Apathy

Normandy finds .  . . . . . . . 

Sunday afternoon I suggested to the friend that found the meat-can in his garden that we should run up into Ste Mere Eglise and take a look at a pile of soil dug out for new warehouse foundations.  We spotted several pieces of what appeared to be shrapnel, a couple of horse-shoes, and this black cap off a tube of US made Squibb toothpaste, the body of the tube was missing but there remained some white residue of the paste inside the neck and cap. 

.IMG_5520.JPG.54a7cd7f6e495c5ecc37e30a4c0c85bb.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_645e.jpeg.b8345250b32b29f067ce35c21893875e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_645b.jpeg.f697415da984dc6b321a6600d2e0d1a0.jpeg

General Apathy

Jeep / car battery trick . . . . . . . . 

A few weeks ago I think I added a comment in a post that a friend had left his ignition switch on for several days in his garaged Jeep, this flattened the battery totally . . . . . . . .

He connected one of the latest state of the art 'digital ' chargers to the battery for about twenty-four hours it continually read fault and refused to charge the battery.  To over come this fault problem he disconnected the charger, hooked up his flattened battery to another charged battery for a couple of hours.  This trickled a small amount of charge into his flattened battery, he then re-connected his charger which then accepted that the flattened battery could be charged, and was not a totally dead battery . . . . . . . .

Hope this little trick helps fellow forum readers . . . . . . .

Serious Word of Warning,  always disconnect the charger from the mains electric system before removing the clips from the battery terminals.  It's possible to cause an explosion of charging gases with a spark from removing the terminal clips first.

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  a few Jeeping friends in the UK had a day in paradise on Sunday sat above the white cliffs of Dover looking out across the English Channel towards France as tomorrow is the eightieth anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

.20200912_151753_resized.jpeg.b0c8af477ec8217774f0916fc9f7a5ce.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6462.jpeg.261712e98afa512b17c31e51ee9c5420.jpeg

Neat.  I'm used to just seeing pictures of the cliffs from offshore.  Thanks for the reminder that there is actually something behind and on top of them! 

mikie 

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  a few Jeeping friends in the UK had a day in paradise on Sunday sat above the white cliffs of Dover looking out across the English Channel towards France as tomorrow is the eightieth anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

.20200912_151753_resized.jpeg.b0c8af477ec8217774f0916fc9f7a5ce.jpeg

Hi Ken, looks like a great time was had by all. Good to see things like this can still happen today.

And to commemorate Battle of Britain day here's a picture of the operations room at Duxford which has been kept in its original form.

DSC_1172.JPG.71464f0e26969aa78c0e5e1a249b9843.JPG

Rene

9 minutes ago, mikie said:

Neat.  I'm used to just seeing pictures of the cliffs from offshore.  Thanks for the reminder that there is actually something behind and on top of them! 

mikie 

Now you mention it. I've always wondered what it would look like 😄

Rene

The post a bit earlier about the pub with lots of insignia on the walls reminded me of some of my favorite goodies from my other interest, the Space program.  Years ago someone offered a big collection of signed astronaut photos.  They were priced incredibly cheap because they had been tacked to a wall and were not in very good shape.  I bought 7 or 8 of them.  After I got them I realized from the inscriptions that the wall they had been tacked to was in the dining room of the legendary (among space buffs) Pe-Te's Cajun BBQ located just outside the gates of Ellington Field AFB and very close to NASA Houston mission control center.  The place was a favorite hangout for folks from both the base, and NASA.  The walls and ceiling  were filled with all kinds of cool stuff.  Pe-Te's closed down a while back and Pe-Te's son got rid of everything.  The guy I bought them from got them at a flea market or such.  If you look at the lower right corner of the Eileen Collins photo, you can see part of a red sticker that is clearly visible on her photo of the wall.  While not valuable, the history behind these photos make them special.  

PTs.jpg

PT Wall of Pix.jpg

PT Eileen Collins.jpg

General Apathy
15 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, looks like a great time was had by all. Good to see things like this can still happen today.

And to commemorate Battle of Britain day here's a picture of the operations room at Duxford which has been kept in its original form.

Rene

15 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Hi Rene,  thanks for the photo of the old control room at Duxford used during the Battle of Britain.  We are currently engaged in a fresh battle, the Battle of Brexit, I received my first hit yesterday with the closure of my UK credit card as I no longer have a residence in the UK.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 15  2020. 

General Apathy
14 hours ago, mikie said:

The post a bit earlier about the pub with lots of insignia on the walls reminded me of some of my favorite goodies from my other interest, the Space program.  Years ago someone offered a big collection of signed astronaut photos.  They were priced incredibly cheap because they had been tacked to a wall and were not in very good shape.  I bought 7 or 8 of them.  After I got them I realized from the inscriptions that the wall they had been tacked to was in the dining room of the legendary (among space buffs) Pe-Te's Cajun BBQ located just outside the gates of Ellington Field AFB and very close to NASA Houston mission control center.  The place was a favorite hangout for folks from both the base, and NASA.  The walls and ceiling  were filled with all kinds of cool stuff.  Pe-Te's closed down a while back and Pe-Te's son got rid of everything.  The guy I bought them from got them at a flea market or such.  If you look at the lower right corner of the Eileen Collins photo, you can see part of a red sticker that is clearly visible on her photo of the wall.  While not valuable, the history behind these photos make them special.  

PTs.jpg

PT Wall of Pix.jpg

PT Eileen Collins.jpg

Hi mikie,  interesting post and you are obviously pleased that you managed to have part of the history of NASA and the wall of the cajun restaurant.

Pleased that you have space to store them. . . . . . . . . . :lol: 

General Apathy
On 9/12/2020 at 9:46 PM, mikie said:

A jeep would make it a paradise!

Hi Mikie,  as all the action occurs around a Pacific island then this rare model of amphibious Jeep would have been useful . . . . .  of course if they had fuel for it.

.20200912_133930_resized.jpeg.1f80f2d75fc4328f3c683fef1d59bf67.jpeg

A couple of weeks ago the film A Bridge Too Far was aired here on television which in itself is nothing spectacular but it was quite some time ago that I managed to sit through it entirely. I must admit that I still like it a lot. For a film from the seventies it still holds up well even though some of the German vehicles wouldn't look out of place in a Mad Max production.....

Here are some extras from that film.............

799729491_60(1).jpg.42bc11f95bb1780869191d6aa71e7e17.jpg

Suits you , sir

58.jpg.0aad81c85ef167efcd710e9eab7d5285.jpg

And some vehicles.

55.jpg.402def9e9c903ac9c136502a3434b69d.jpg

Rene

3abef1c61c6d2d151cf564ed971bf196.jpg
It’s funny but on most films the same kind of thing is always photographed.
Here’s me at the bottom with the rest of the dummies awaiting to get dressed into a set during Squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rene, I always admired the attempt that was made to replicate the German vehicles for BTF.

At least they didn’t use grey US half-tracks.

My great aunt, who taught my father to draw, was part of the architectural team that made the plans when they rebuilt that whole part of Arnhem.