Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
On 9/3/2020 at 3:41 PM, cutiger83 said:

Boy I have some catching up to do on this thread!I

Ken,

Amazing pictures of the shelter signs! Hard to believe they are still on the side of the buildings after all these years. I also love the cluster bomb explanation and pictures. Very interesting. I always find your jeep parts so interesting showing all of the "F" parts. I don't think many people would know to even look for that mark. 

Johan,

The reuse of the PSP planking is very interesting. All of you were recycling before anyone else ever thought about it. 

Rene, 

Great medals. Can you please tell me which ones are on the right and left? I also love how all of you ride bicycles everywhere.

Mikie,

Your posts always make me hungry! Hahaha ! 

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for the comment on the Jeep parts, sadly since the days that I actively collected Jeep parts and especially Ford marked ones when I could find them, all Jeep parts are now manufactured again as copies and F marked if desired . . . . . .

The funny thing is I thought I would buy spares for parts that I perceived would wear out such as plugs, points, distributor caps, sealed beam units etc., but the funny thing is virtually none of these parts have ever worn out they were made so well, which is not the case I hear from other people who have bought modern made parts.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 05  2020. 

General Apathy
14 hours ago, mikie said:

Here is a Before & After:..

Savage.jpg

savage int.jpg

Charlestown Mall.jpg

Hi Mikie, thanks for bringing the demise of this historic building to our attention, it's so sad to see so many historic places and towns in the US deserted, abandoned, and destroyed, I find it especially sad to see images of Detroit  . . . . . . . . . . . . 

General Apathy

Militaria, rock-bands, Jeeps, uniforms, Then & Nows and now something different . . . . . .

Two days ago we had brilliant sunshine and as I stood in the garden I was astounded at the number of butterflies, moths, and bees that were enjoying the flowers in my garden at one time there were around thirty butterflies all on the same group of flowers.

here are a few, the strangest one is a humming bird moth, it never lands on the flowers it hovers close to the flower and projects a long probe into the flower to gather the pollen. Sometimes there can be five or six of these harvesting the pollen at the same time. 

.IMG_5463.JPG.d75f13918db8f54c2f0f76b69f93c49a.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_6287.jpeg.e13f5d06cea0c97d0b94c58e5ead1f99.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6340.jpeg.e34fb91ccfa2cd22311cedac49ce4185.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6285.jpeg.0ec8cdd5333c5e432105fc8ae88a34af.jpeg

.IMG_5474.JPG.fa73a0be022628a3672063b06e51bbba.JPG

General Apathy

Hi Kat,  a few weeks ago I did a Then and Now on the side of a building in the square at Ste Mere Eglise in both images an ancient sun-dial could be seen, you expressed an interest asking how common they were to Normandy, here's another couple of sun-dials I captured for you.

.fullsizeoutput_593a.jpeg.68d0b1024f74b0ade899728ecaf9ecef.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_634a.jpeg.60ef866fec2af36c361d97de20c87d16.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_634d.jpeg.19ee558c0a3627c8c3cc5cb24479c445.jpeg

12 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  a few weeks ago I did a Then and Now on the side of a building in the square at Ste Mere Eglise in both images an ancient sun-dial could be seen, you expressed an interest asking how common they were to Normandy, here's another couple of sun-dials I captured for you.

Ken,

These are too cool! I wonder how many people walk by and either do not notice or do not know what these are. Thanks for posting these!

...Kat

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now 1944 - 2020 . . . . . . . . . . . 

This wooden plaque marks the spot that four US soldiers were killed June 15th 1944 during fighting to clear the town, Anthony Apicella, Paul Snyder, Harold Husk, Bernard Wilson. 

The plaque is situated at the site of the anti-tank gun and Citroen civilian car in the high street. The men evident in the photo might possibly be the men or friends of the men named on the plaque.

A longer shot of the high street with the anti-tank gun and car in the distance, note the soot marks of fire above most of the windows on the right. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 06  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_636a.jpeg.f56219826ccc3d1d4c5b7f9968b78101.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6366.jpeg.fb5d2f045efa1e0b8f6d19121b688ce7.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6367.jpeg.687861fc41552fbdce6ba207cc49cf1a.jpeg

General Apathy
15 hours ago, sundance said:

Great then and now. Thank you.  Would a local have memorialized the 4 or would that plaque have been placed  by a commission or other organization?

Hi Sundance, thanks for the kind comment, not certain who commissioned the plaque but I believe veterans that fought there attended its unveiling.  I have marked its position on the house to the right of the damaged car. 

I will try to visit and make comparisons this week if possible.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 07  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_63bf.jpeg.9de26fab52d382da46b42f9a4e3a58d5.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_636a.jpeg.f6b48187784cbb87cca6de22c11251ac.jpeg

General Apathy

House clearance finds Sunday 06 September 2020 . . . . . . . . .

As I have mentioned before a lot of the generation that lived through the war, or descendants of those people are now clearing houses so pieces of equipment and uniform sometimes appear. About three years ago a friend bought an unopened US chest pack from the house shown in the previous image with the 82nd ABN. plaque. 

Sunday I acquired the three unused medical pieces shown below from a local house clearance, there were several US field hospitals in the area in 1944, a 1944 Medical blanket, a 1942 patients flannel bed jacket, and a 1942 white cotton surgical jacket. 

.fullsizeoutput_6363.jpeg.574f925d00108cf23f42ae26bc3e49c4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6360.jpeg.1d214b9b99851c2e922024eda2ff75a0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_635b.jpeg.fffcb23fa6cdddcdb1e4945d00aaf1a5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_635f.jpeg.b9f5759add363d7f7a34b019e484e8a3.jpeg

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

As I have mentioned before a lot of the generation that lived through the war, or descendants of those people are now clearing houses so pieces of equipment and uniform sometimes appear. About three years ago a friend bought an unopened US chest pack from the house shown in the previous image with the 82nd ABN. plaque. 

Sunday I acquired the three unused medical pieces shown below from a local house clearance, there were several US field hospitals in the area in 1944, a 1944 Medical blanket, a 1942 patients flannel bed jacket, and a 1942 white cotton surgical jacket. 

Nice items, Ken. It seems there's little that can't be (re)found in Normandy 🙂.  By the way, are you stocking up the old shoe box again? 😉

Rene

General Apathy
On 9/7/2020 at 7:35 PM, Dogsbody said:

Nice items, Ken. It seems there's little that can't be (re)found in Normandy 🙂.  By the way, are you stocking up the old shoe box again? 😉

Rene

Hi Rene,  thanks, no I'm not actively refilling the shoebox but if I am in the right place at the right time then its hard to resist an offer. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 09  2020.

General Apathy

More Normandy finds reported . . . . . . . .

In the 22nd of August edition of the French newspaper ' La Manche Libre '  there were two reports of WWII munitions being found , one an anti-tank mine close to the La Fiere engagement between German and US forces, and the second a grenade found on Gold Beach in the British sector . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 09  2020.

fullsizeoutput_63e3.jpeg.05a465177c1a2154c0af9574433849fe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_63c5.jpeg.50af7348f4a83d18fbc15c5eeded2011.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_63c6.jpeg.cd5291632f054116101b9dfc06418453.jpeg

Since all the recently featured sundials and plaques here, I've been paying more attention to the higher side of buildings in my hometown. So far all I can show for it is this..............no idea why it's there.....😀

SAM_0276a.jpg.d371fc68ba1830b431eed564829f4a70.jpg

Rene

22 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Since all the recently featured sundials and plaques here, I've been paying more attention to the higher side of buildings in my hometown. So far all I can show for it is this..............no idea why it's there.....😀

Rene

Maybe because the other end of the horse being there would be silly?  

On 9/7/2020 at 1:48 AM, General Apathy said:

.fullsizeoutput_6363.jpeg.574f925d00108cf23f42ae26bc3e49c4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6360.jpeg.1d214b9b99851c2e922024eda2ff75a0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_635b.jpeg.fffcb23fa6cdddcdb1e4945d00aaf1a5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_635f.jpeg.b9f5759add363d7f7a34b019e484e8a3.jpeg

More military issue stuff I never thought about existing.  The folks behind planning, acquiring and issuing, the countless items needed to fight a war besides the boom stuff need some well deserved recognition.   

1 hour ago, mikie said:

More military issue stuff I never thought about existing.  The folks behind planning, acquiring and issuing, the countless items needed to fight a war besides the boom stuff need some well deserved recognition.   

Mikie,

I have heard the number of people behind the lines to take care of one person on the front lines. People don't think about these things.

...Kat

On 9/5/2020 at 2:48 AM, General Apathy said:

Militaria, rock-bands, Jeeps, uniforms, Then & Nows and now something different . . . . . .

Two days ago we had brilliant sunshine and as I stood in the garden I was astounded at the number of butterflies, moths, and bees that were enjoying the flowers in my garden at one time there were around thirty butterflies all on the same group of flowers.

here are a few, the strangest one is a humming bird moth, it never lands on the flowers it hovers close to the flower and projects a long probe into the flower to gather the pollen. Sometimes there can be five or six of these harvesting the pollen at the same time. 

.IMG_5463.JPG.d75f13918db8f54c2f0f76b69f93c49a.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_6287.jpeg.e13f5d06cea0c97d0b94c58e5ead1f99.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6340.jpeg.e34fb91ccfa2cd22311cedac49ce4185.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6285.jpeg.0ec8cdd5333c5e432105fc8ae88a34af.jpeg

.IMG_5474.JPG.fa73a0be022628a3672063b06e51bbba.JPG

I'm very happy to see you have a good supply of pollinators there.  We usually have a variety in my yard, but this year, almost no bees, moths, or butterflies.  As a result, my veggie garden and fruit trees haven't had much of a crop this year.  I went to the nursery and bought a number of bee friendly flowers to plant around, but that didn't help any.  I've never seen hummingbird moths, but love to watch hummingbirds. Last year while in my yard, once came over to check me out. It did it's cool hovering mode about a foot from my face.  Utterly amazing! Sadly, there haven't been very many of those around this year either.  

On 9/5/2020 at 2:32 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, thanks for bringing the demise of this historic building to our attention, it's so sad to see so many historic places and towns in the US deserted, abandoned, and destroyed, I find it especially sad to see images of Detroit  . . . . . . . . . . . . 

This may interest you.  Sad but fascinating...

https://www.blogarama.com/individual-sports-blogs/289385-tincanbandits-gunsmithing-blog/2046769-ghost-gun-factories

General Apathy

A forum member tale . . . . . . . . . . 

One day a man named Mikie decided to retire...

He booked himself on a Caribbean cruise and proceeded

to have the time of his life, that is, until the ship sank.

He soon found himself on an island with no other people,

no supplies, nothing, only bananas and coconuts.

After about four months, he is lying on the beach 

one day when the most gorgeous woman he has ever seen rows up to the shore.

In disbelief, he asks, "Where did you come from? How did you get here?"

She replies, "I rowed over from the other side of the island 

where I landed when my fishing boat sank."

"Amazing," he notes. "You were really lucky to have a row boat wash up with you."

"Oh, this thing?" explains the woman.

" I made the boat out of some raw material I found on the island. 

The oars were whittled from gum tree branches.

I wove the bottom from palm tree branches, 

and the sides and stern came from an Eucalyptus tree."

"But, where did you get the tools?"

"Oh, that was no problem," replied the woman.

" On the south side of the island, a very unusual stratum 

of alluvial rock is exposed. I found that if I fired it to a 

certain temperature in a volcanic vent I found just down island, 

it melted into ductile iron and

I used that to make tools and used the tools to make the hardware."

The guy is stunned.

"Let's row over to my place," she says "and I'll give you a tour." 

So, after a short time of rowing, she soon docks the boat 

at a small hand built wharf. As the man looks to shore, he nearly falls off the boat.

Before him is a long stone walk leading to a cabin and tree house.

While the woman ties up the rowboat with an expertly

woven hemp rope, the man can only stare ahead, dumb struck. 

As they walk into the house, she says casually, 

"It's not much, but I call it home. Please sit down."

"Would you like a drink?"

"No! No thank you," the man blurts out, still dazed.

"I can't take another drop of coconut juice."

"Oh, it's not coconut juice," winks the woman.

"I have a still. How would you like a Jack Daniels neat?"

Trying to hide his continued amazement, the man accepts, 

and they sit down on her couch to talk. After they exchange their 

individual survival stories, the woman announces,

"I'm going to slip into something more comfortable.

Would you like to take a shower and shave? 

There's a razor in the bathroom cabinet upstairs."

No longer questioning anything, the man goes upstairs into the bathroom.

There, in the cabinet is a razor made from a piece of tortoise bone. 

Two shells honed to a hollow ground edge are fastened 

on to its end inside a swivel mechanism.

"This woman is amazing," he muses. "What's next?"

When he returns, she greets him wearing nothing but a bandanna 

around her blonde locks and some small flowers on tiny vines,

each strategically positioned, she 

smelled faintly of coconut oil.. 

She then beckons for him to sit down next to her.

"Tell me," she begins suggestively, slithering closer to him,

"We've both been out here for many months. You must have been lonely.

When was the last time you had a really good ride? She stares into his eyes.

He can't believe what he's hearing. 

"You mean..." he swallows excitedly 

as tears begin to form in his eyes,

“ You've built a Jeep ?" 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 12  2020.

General Apathy
On 9/9/2020 at 6:56 PM, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Hi Rene,  would the place date back to when it was horse and carts and that would have been a stables in the town for horses. Its an attractive old building.

General Apathy
On 9/9/2020 at 7:19 PM, mikie said:

Maybe because the other end of the horse being there would be silly?  

Hi Mikie,  perhaps the other end of the horse is on the ' rear ' of the building. :lol:

General Apathy
On 9/9/2020 at 8:56 PM, cutiger83 said:

Mikie,

I have heard the number of people behind the lines to take care of one person on the front lines. People don't think about these things.

...Kat

Hi Kat, as the saying goes an army runs on it's stomachs, so cooks and clerks, cooks and clerks.

General Apathy
10 hours ago, mikie said:

I'm very happy to see you have a good supply of pollinators there.  We usually have a variety in my yard, but this year, almost no bees, moths, or butterflies.  As a result, my veggie garden and fruit trees haven't had much of a crop this year.  I went to the nursery and bought a number of bee friendly flowers to plant around, but that didn't help any.  I've never seen hummingbird moths, but love to watch hummingbirds. Last year while in my yard, once came over to check me out. It did it's cool hovering mode about a foot from my face.  Utterly amazing! Sadly, there haven't been very many of those around this year either.  

Hi Mikie,  can't say I ever recall ever seeing any of these Humming-bird moths before moving here, now they are quite numerous amongst the flowers . . . . . . 

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

A forum member tale . . . . . . . . . . 

One day a man named Mikie decided to retire...

He booked himself on a Caribbean cruise and proceeded

to have the time of his life, that is, until the ship sank.

He soon found himself on an island with no other people,

no supplies, nothing, only bananas and coconuts.

After about four months, he is lying on the beach 

one day when the most gorgeous woman he has ever seen rows up to the shore.

In disbelief, he asks, "Where did you come from? How did you get here?"

She replies, "I rowed over from the other side of the island 

where I landed when my fishing boat sank."

"Amazing," he notes. "You were really lucky to have a row boat wash up with you."

"Oh, this thing?" explains the woman.

" I made the boat out of some raw material I found on the island. 

The oars were whittled from gum tree branches.

I wove the bottom from palm tree branches, 

and the sides and stern came from an Eucalyptus tree."

"But, where did you get the tools?"

"Oh, that was no problem," replied the woman.

" On the south side of the island, a very unusual stratum 

of alluvial rock is exposed. I found that if I fired it to a 

certain temperature in a volcanic vent I found just down island, 

it melted into ductile iron and

I used that to make tools and used the tools to make the hardware."

The guy is stunned.

"Let's row over to my place," she says "and I'll give you a tour." 

So, after a short time of rowing, she soon docks the boat 

at a small hand built wharf. As the man looks to shore, he nearly falls off the boat.

Before him is a long stone walk leading to a cabin and tree house.

While the woman ties up the rowboat with an expertly

woven hemp rope, the man can only stare ahead, dumb struck. 

As they walk into the house, she says casually, 

"It's not much, but I call it home. Please sit down."

"Would you like a drink?"

"No! No thank you," the man blurts out, still dazed.

"I can't take another drop of coconut juice."

"Oh, it's not coconut juice," winks the woman.

"I have a still. How would you like a Jack Daniels neat?"

Trying to hide his continued amazement, the man accepts, 

and they sit down on her couch to talk. After they exchange their 

individual survival stories, the woman announces,

"I'm going to slip into something more comfortable.

Would you like to take a shower and shave? 

There's a razor in the bathroom cabinet upstairs."

No longer questioning anything, the man goes upstairs into the bathroom.

There, in the cabinet is a razor made from a piece of tortoise bone. 

Two shells honed to a hollow ground edge are fastened 

on to its end inside a swivel mechanism.

"This woman is amazing," he muses. "What's next?"

When he returns, she greets him wearing nothing but a bandanna 

around her blonde locks and some small flowers on tiny vines,

each strategically positioned, she 

smelled faintly of coconut oil.. 

She then beckons for him to sit down next to her.

"Tell me," she begins suggestively, slithering closer to him,

"We've both been out here for many months. You must have been lonely.

When was the last time you had a really good ride? She stares into his eyes.

He can't believe what he's hearing. 

"You mean..." he swallows excitedly 

as tears begin to form in his eyes,

“ You've built a Jeep ?" 

A jeep would make it a paradise!

General Apathy
On 9/12/2020 at 9:46 PM, mikie said:

A jeep would make it a paradise!

Hi Mikie,  a few Jeeping friends in the UK had a day in paradise on Sunday sat above the white cliffs of Dover looking out across the English Channel towards France as tomorrow is the eightieth anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 14  2020.

.20200912_151753_resized.jpeg.b0c8af477ec8217774f0916fc9f7a5ce.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6462.jpeg.261712e98afa512b17c31e51ee9c5420.jpeg