Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
On 8/31/2020 at 5:07 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Came across this photo on a Facebook page and thought it was rather nice...

Taken in early WW2 showing an early slatgrill Jeep, M1917A1 helmets and denim uniforms...

GIs of the 40th Division training at Camp San Luis Obispo

118653686_319506895961733_7627071614370527582_n.jpg

Hi Johan,  a shot that divides opinion, some believing it to be real others thinking its a group of re-enactors. ????? :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 03  2020.

General Apathy
On 9/1/2020 at 8:58 PM, mikie said:

Nice that you were able to connect up and share a meal.  And inside a restaurant at that.  No inside dining here since early March.  This is a Mom and Pop place near home that I've adopted to help get through this mess.  Run by the nicest folks, who were one of the first here to come up with a clever reopening plan after being shut down for a month.  Order at the blocked off entry, eat at the outdoor tables.  The fried chicken sandwich is awesome and so big I can't eat it all at one sitting.  Half for lunch. Half for dinner.    

HH.jpg

HHFCS.jpg

Hi Mikie, I'm seeing a pattern arise here Strobwaffles, Gouda cheese, restaurants, chicken sandwiches I think some of your posts may be food related, do you enjoy food as much or more than militaria . . . . . . . . . . . .  :P

General Apathy

Jeep spares . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Johan,  sorting through a crate of Jeep spares yesterday I thought these NOS unused Ford stamped brake shoes might interest you, do you have any or ever seen any . . . . . . . . . ^_^

.fullsizeoutput_62a7.jpeg.24cecd03b4aeacd2116221b2e48edff5.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_62a8.jpeg.59cedc0a77526f9898b2eaad1dc2196d.jpeg

General Apathy

More local finds . . . . . . . 

I used to pass a cut down German fuel barrel on the way to Janes house, it was being used as a water butt at the bottom of a rain pipe, one day it was gone and I was concerned it may have been scrapped. However I reconnected with it yesterday at a local friends house he had bought it cheaply from a local reclamation yard. 

.fullsizeoutput_62a5.jpeg.97b0704948174a9b66f5314e85f74cbc.jpeg

General Apathy

More local finds . . . . . . . 

Yesterday I saw at a local friends house a cut down German fuel barrel he bought cheaply from a local reclamation yard. He had also bought several antique sections of decorative metal fencing recovered from a bombed out chateau there are several signs of bullet and shrapnel damage to the metalwork. I will give the panels another look over when I next call in.  

Knowing the location that he was given of the chateau I believe that there had been an American advanced landing ground in the grounds of the chateau, and that the chateau suffered vast damage during an attack on the airfield. 

.IMG_5484.JPG.5262fe2ae78e80bb311d969b5f4ab2fb.JPG

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  a shot that divides opinion, some believing it to be real others thinking its a group of re-enactors. ????? :lol:

It's real.... part of a group of photos taken at the same time and location...

Plus, there are no faults in the Jeep or attire, so must be real!!!  ;-)

Johan Willaert
56 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  sorting through a crate of Jeep spares yesterday I thought these NOS unused Ford stamped brake shoes might interest you, do you have any or ever seen any . . . . . . . . . ^_^.

Yes, I've seen some before.... oddly on this one they have added brake shoe material.... Seems to have started as a rear facing brake shoe with short pad

Boy I have some catching up to do on this thread!I

Ken,

Amazing pictures of the shelter signs! Hard to believe they are still on the side of the buildings after all these years. I also love the cluster bomb explanation and pictures. Very interesting. I always find your jeep parts so interesting showing all of the "F" parts. I don't think many people would know to even look for that mark. 

Johan,

The reuse of the PSP planking is very interesting. All of you were recycling before anyone else ever thought about it. 

Rene, 

Great medals. Can you please tell me which ones are on the right and left? I also love how all of you ride bicycles everywhere.

Mikie,

Your posts always make me hungry! Hahaha ! 

...Kat

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, I'm seeing a pattern arise here Strobwaffles, Gouda cheese, restaurants, chicken sandwiches I think some of your posts may be food related, do you enjoy food as much or more than militaria . . . . . . . . . . . .  :P

Militaria is nice, but you can't eat it.  Or probably shouldn't, anyway.  

6 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Boy I have some catching up to do on this thread!I

Ken,

Amazing pictures of the shelter signs! Hard to believe they are still on the side of the buildings after all these years. I also love the cluster bomb explanation and pictures. Very interesting. I always find your jeep parts so interesting showing all of the "F" parts. I don't think many people would know to even look for that mark. 

Johan,

The reuse of the PSP planking is very interesting. All of you were recycling before anyone else ever thought about it. 

Rene, 

Great medals. Can you please tell me which ones are on the right and left? I also love how all of you ride bicycles everywhere.

Mikie,

Your posts always make me hungry! Hahaha ! 

...Kat

Hi Kat, the one on the left is the British victory medal and the one on the right is the one from Russia.

11 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Kat, the one on the left is the British victory medal and the one on the right is the one from Russia.

Thanks so much for letting me know about the medals.

...Kat

Johan Willaert
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 7:35 AM, General Apathy said:

Johan was rooting even more so for the Dutch he had two cycles in his touring van . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

And even got them out a couple of times….

Bluffs on West side of Arromanches; debris of the caissons of the Mulberry Harbor visible in the sea...

Fietstocht-Arromanches-27Aug20_(22).JPG

2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Bluffs on West side of Arromanches; debris of the caissons of the Mulberry Harbor visible in the sea...

That looks like a beautiful view for a bicycle ride!

...Kat

On 8/30/2020 at 7:54 AM, General Apathy said:

Remaining image of WWII London . . . . . . . . . 

A few weeks ago a London friend sent me a couple of images to post here of bullet and shrapnel strikes still visible on the Ritz hotel in London, he also sent me images of wall shrapnel strikes from a WWI Zeppelin raid on London, I shall have to go back in my files and look for the Zeppelin strike images. 

Todays post shows remaining WWII signs for shelters and  the location of water for fire control. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 30  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_619b.jpeg.e6f408fd7205a2ebd657ced42a7968cd.jpeg

Great to see these are still around. On the top one it seems to read '5,000 dam in yard' Any idea what this means?

Rene

On 9/3/2020 at 12:02 PM, General Apathy said:

Ken, if you hadn't made that comment  I would have definitely said that's an re-enactment photo but looking closely I'm leaning towards real.

Rene

What does an old abandoned shopping mall burning down last week in Utica, NY have to do with militaria?  And why is Mikie interested in it?

https://www.cnyhomepage.com/uncategorized/charlestown-is-gone/

Before it was Charlestown Factory Outlet mall, it was the home factory of Savage Arms for the first half of the 20th Century.  I haven't been able to find a lot of info, but the factory produced weapons in both world wars.  I did find this little snippet...

"Although Arthur Savage passed away in 1941, when war reared its ugly head his company was quick to answer the call. During World War II, Savage Arms produced some 1,400,000 Thompson submachine guns, more than one million No. 4 Lee Enfield rifles as well as .30 and .50 caliber Browning aircraft machine guns. They actually averaged 55,000 guns per month for the war effort."

The 3 things about this news that make it personal is:

1.  I was born and raised in Utica.

2.  I visited the mall many times before I moved out here.  They made no effort to hide that it was once a factory.  In fact, it was part of the atmosphere of the place.  Being a history buff, I appreciated that they wanted to keep the history alive. 

3.  My Grandad Dominic worked there during the war.  He passed on back in 1972 so I don't recall exactly what war work he did there, but he was a skilled machinist, woodworker and had his own electronics repair business, so I'm sure they were able to put him to good use.  

Sad to hear the place is destroyed beyond repair.  

General Apathy
On 9/3/2020 at 10:40 PM, Dogsbody said:

Oh, yes you can........

SAM_8998.jpg.9a0d3e82f264553e0c2123d596e41bdb.jpg

Hi Rene,  thanks for showing us your tin of past-your-eyes American Cheese, do you also have any just-below-the-chin cheese as well . . . . . . . .:lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 05  2020.

General Apathy
21 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Fietstocht-Arromanches-27Aug20_(22).JPG

Hi Johan,  I suppose the electric motor helped you keep up with Kristien up that incline behind you . . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
15 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Ken, if you hadn't made that comment  I would have definitely said that's an re-enactment photo but looking closely I'm leaning towards real.

Rene

Hi Rene,  1940's Kodachrome colour is quite distinctive in shots like these . . . . . . . . .