Norman D. Landing

bilko1

32 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

More of the memory shoebox was opened up this week . . . . . . . . . . .

Earlier this week a friend was passing nearby an old country pub close to the WWII American airbase at Molesworth, he stopped to grab a shot of the pub ( poor overcast rainy day ).  

The same pub back in 1944 with American servicemen from the airbase.

A reconstruction of the wartime shot featuring friends and myself taken in 1990.

On the day that we visited in 1990 the landlord and his wife were very kind and helpful in our setting up of the scene, we carried a table outdoors, and dressed the table as seen in the wartime shot, an ash tray ( note both ashtrays have the same writing on the side ) a vase of flowers, a circular serving tray etc. The Landlady went and changed her dress to a darker one similar in shade to the wartime Landlady, the Landlord served us our beers.  

Note on the wartime shot that to the side of the Landlady's head there is an electric bell-push, in 1990 the same bell-push was still there but painted  completely over, wish we had taken two folding deck-chairs to complete the scene. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 28  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_6168.jpeg.9d03cefc07027510f992b261269531d7.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_60aa.jpeg.71043cdbf9078d5d476b0c43587ec119.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_60a9.jpeg.0a488b470db6e7f877654a09e58918b3.jpeg

That is just awesome!  One of your best Then, Then and Nows ever, due to your personal touch

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

More of the memory shoebox was opened up this week . . . . . . . . . . .

Earlier this week a friend was passing nearby an old country pub close to the WWII American airbase at Molesworth, he stopped to grab a shot of the pub ( poor overcast rainy day ).  

The same pub back in 1944 with American servicemen from the airbase.

A reconstruction of the wartime shot featuring friends and myself taken in 1990.

On the day that we visited in 1990 the landlord and his wife were very kind and helpful in our setting up of the scene, we carried a table outdoors, and dressed the table as seen in the wartime shot, an ash tray ( note both ashtrays have the same writing on the side ) a vase of flowers, a circular serving tray etc. The Landlady went and changed her dress to a darker one similar in shade to the wartime Landlady, the Landlord served us our beers.  

Note on the wartime shot that to the side of the Landlady's head there is an electric bell-push, in 1990 the same bell-push was still there but painted  completely over, wish we had taken two folding deck-chairs to complete the scene. 

This is very cool! Your life should be made into a movie! You have more fun than anyone I know!

Kat

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Todays UK radio . . . . . . . . . . . 

The output on BBC radio 2 today is totally ' DIRE ', so for the last four hours whilst working on my computer I have been playing the back catalog of Led Zeppelin tunes through Youtube, just reached ' Kashmir ' and still blown away with it even after so many years . . . . . . . . . .  :love:

Emailed my daughter earlier with one of our favourite songs with the message ' love you, always ' 

Bob, Carak, Carmen and Stryder the dog, at the Bron-y-aur farm near Machynlleth, North Wales, the dog was such a calm creature.

.fullsizeoutput_6167.jpeg.305173c358fd06c085ed781087b66814.jpeg

Just about my favorite band. Amazing that you know them. Echoing Kat , your autobiography would be incredible. Who should play you in the movie? 

Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands of all time.

When The Levee Breaks is my favorite since it came out.

It can still overcome me like Debussy’s Claire de Lune.

General Apathy
17 hours ago, mikie said:

That is just awesome!  One of your best Then, Then and Nows ever, due to your personal touch

Hi mikie,  thanks, it gives me a lot of pleasure showing Then & Now images to everyone. Places are changing so much now since the war, when I sit in Ste Mere Eglise and think that people have travelled half way around the world or even further to see the town and sadly it has very little now that compares to the image of 1944.

Talking of travelling, this afternoon Jane and myself will be meeting up with friend and forum member Johan visiting from Belgium. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 29  2020. 

General Apathy
10 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

This is very cool! Your life should be made into a movie! You have more fun than anyone I know!

Kat

Hi Kat,  being brought up on Boys Own adventure books and daring deeds of wartime soldiers I grew up with a great sense of living for the day and adventures of my own, many of which although harmless and adventurous but not criminal in anyway would in todays world be frowned upon, and not for putting down in print, but great anecdotes when repeated, a harmless laugh below.  

a few days ago I related to Jane an episode from my school days, around thirteen or fourteen  I was very slim and athletic ( enjoyed cross country running and basketball, the black kids calling me white-lemon for aggressive attacks on the net-loop ).  Anyway at thirteen or fourteen being chased along the top corridor by the school bully I outran him to the stairwell, I leapt from landing to landing until I reached the ground floor, where I ran through the swing doors and held one open until I heard footsteps and then swung it closed with all my force intending to inflict some pain on my attacker.

Unbeknown to me one of the masters had walked out the ground floor masters coffee room and the door hit him full in the face, unfortunately he was smoking a pipe which was now lodged in his throat. I had hung around waiting to see the bully's face with my surprise reprisal at which the master extended his fingers pushing me backwards against the wall whereupon he placed the palm of his hand on my forehead and smashed the back of my head against the wall, instant retribution, followed by six of the best across the buttocks from the headmaster. 

Run home and tell my parents, hell no, that wasn't done back then . . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy
10 hours ago, mikie said:

Just about my favorite band. Amazing that you know them. 

10 hours ago, mikie said:

Manayunkman said

Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands of all time.

When The Levee Breaks is my favorite since it came out.

It can still overcome me like Debussy’s Claire de Lune.

Hi Mikie & Piet,  thanks both of you,  days that are unrepeatable now,  to have been at the launch and emergence of Led Zeppelin and all the other bands I met at concerts and gigs at that time.  Around that time I attended a concert given by the American band Love, I was blown away with their  performance of ' Alone again or ' and from that day thought that this was a song `I wanted played at my funeral.

The original by Love and a rendition of it by The Damned . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Love :-  

The Damned :-  

General Apathy
13 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie & Piet,  thanks both of you,  days that are unrepeatable now,  to have been at the launch and emergence of Led Zeppelin and all the other bands I met at concerts and gigs at that time.  Around that time I attended a concert given by the American band Love, I was blown away with their  performance of ' Alone again or ' and from that day thought that this was a song `I wanted played at my funeral.

The original by Love and a rendition of it by The Damned . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Just discovered this fantastic 2003 version of Albert Lee ( Love ) performing it on the Jules Holland show, still great  . . . . . . . . .

If the link doesn't go live after posting please copy-cut-paste into your browser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdPLlxoT_as

General Apathy

The Belgian and the Brit meet for dinner . . . . . . .

Jane and I met friend and forum members Johan and Kristien for dinner this evening, it's been a year since Johan visited Normandy, thanks Johan and Kristien for the dinner invitation and the photos, safe journey home.    

IMG_8701.JPG.f954bbffad60b24800c04b0f222b9947.JPG.

That’s a lot of orange.

Rooting for the Dutch?

Enjoyed the song and I think that’s the first time I’ve heard of Love.

General Apathy
6 hours ago, manayunkman said:

That’s a lot of orange.

Rooting for the Dutch?

Enjoyed the song and I think that’s the first time I’ve heard of Love.

Hi Piet,  yes pretty weird both turning up in similar colours we all laughed about that. Johan was rooting even more so for the Dutch he had two cycles in his touring van . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Just proves how we should all proof read comments before posting, in the earlier post I named the singer as Albert, his name is Arthur Lee ( 1945 - 2006 ) he died just three years after that live performance on Jules Holland in 2003 already suffering from ill health. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 30  2020.

General Apathy

Remaining image of WWII London . . . . . . . . . 

A few weeks ago a London friend sent me a couple of images to post here of bullet and shrapnel strikes still visible on the Ritz hotel in London, he also sent me images of wall shrapnel strikes from a WWI Zeppelin raid on London, I shall have to go back in my files and look for the Zeppelin strike images. 

Todays post shows remaining WWII signs for shelters and  the location of water for fire control. 

.fullsizeoutput_619b.jpeg.e6f408fd7205a2ebd657ced42a7968cd.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_619a.jpeg.b4b6fb304b485c6f6e99fd423ac2d179.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6199.jpeg.0632e22eccc072564ab0d2872976cab6.jpeg

Johan Willaert
19 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Talking of travelling, this afternoon Jane and myself will be meeting up with friend and forum member Johan visiting from Belgium. 

Thx for a lovely evening Ken and Jane... Cheers...

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Piet,  yes pretty weird both turning up in similar colours we all laughed about that. Johan was rooting even more so for the Dutch he had two cycles in his touring van . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Just proves how we should all proof read comments before posting, in the earlier post I named the singer as Albert, his name is Arthur Lee ( 1945 - 2006 ) he died just three years after that live performance on Jules Holland in 2003 already suffering from ill health. 

Ah yes, we really love our bicycles......we even put them on our stamps (we rarely use anymore........)

SAM_0240.JPG.bb4a571c99cd04c4b40fec9c117685da.JPG

And especially for Mikie 😉

SAM_0246.JPG.c873213c93eb50262992b2237d2b93fa.JPG

I will be back for some serious comments later on. I've only had time for the malarky above.

Rene

General Apathy

Barn Find Today . . . . . . . . . . 

Called in to see a friend today and his neighbour had given him this German Cluster Bomb canister AB 250-2 ( Abwurfbehalter ), that his father had recovered post D-Day, also a German shovel, Mike did a deal for both of them.  The round hole seen at the top of the canister would have contained a time fuse which opened the two halves and all the internal bombs scattered.

.fullsizeoutput_61bc.jpeg.2245e5982e2dc3af9cea75256ccd8929.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_61ea.jpeg.76b20859ebbb05727fd93b82497b3156.jpeg

General Apathy
8 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Thx for a lovely evening Ken and Jane... Cheers...

Hi Johan, we enjoyed sharing the evening and a meal with both of you . :lol: Jane said that next time you're here you must visit her farm for a meal.   

.IMG_8698.JPG.a50fa499051053a429b96f01b989d9f2.JPG

Johan Willaert
17 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan, we enjoyed sharing the evening and a meal with both of you . :lol: Jane said that next time you're here you must visit her farm for a meal..

Yes, great time.... I'll keep that in mind!

Back to the order of the day... spotted this cattle box made out of WW2 PSP plates.... near Ryes in the British sector...

IMG_2492.JPG

Johan Willaert

Came across this photo on a Facebook page and thought it was rather nice...

Taken in early WW2 showing an early slatgrill Jeep, M1917A1 helmets and denim uniforms...

GIs of the 40th Division training at Camp San Luis Obispo

118653686_319506895961733_7627071614370527582_n.jpg

On 8/31/2020 at 8:07 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Came across this photo on a Facebook page and thought it was rather nice...

Taken in early WW2 showing an early slatgrill Jeep, M1917A1 helmets and denim uniforms...

GIs of the 40th Division training at Camp San Luis Obispo

118653686_319506895961733_7627071614370527582_n.jpg

Neat photo.  I sometimes forget that they had colors back then.  

Mikie

On 8/30/2020 at 5:17 AM, Dogsbody said:

Ah yes, we really love our bicycles......we even put them on our stamps (we rarely use anymore........)

SAM_0240.JPG.bb4a571c99cd04c4b40fec9c117685da.JPG

And especially for Mikie 😉

SAM_0246.JPG.c873213c93eb50262992b2237d2b93fa.JPG

I will be back for some serious comments later on. I've only had time for the malarky above.

Rene

I like the stamp.  Does the glue taste like Gouda if you lick it?  

On 8/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, General Apathy said:

Remaining image of WWII London . . . . . . . . . 

A few weeks ago a London friend sent me a couple of images to post here of bullet and shrapnel strikes still visible on the Ritz hotel in London, he also sent me images of wall shrapnel strikes from a WWI Zeppelin raid on London, I shall have to go back in my files and look for the Zeppelin strike images. 

Todays post shows remaining WWII signs for shelters and  the location of water for fire control. 

.fullsizeoutput_619b.jpeg.e6f408fd7205a2ebd657ced42a7968cd.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_619a.jpeg.b4b6fb304b485c6f6e99fd423ac2d179.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_6199.jpeg.0632e22eccc072564ab0d2872976cab6.jpeg

Fascinating! 

On 8/30/2020 at 9:25 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan, we enjoyed sharing the evening and a meal with both of you . :lol: Jane said that next time you're here you must visit her farm for a meal.   

.IMG_8698.JPG.a50fa499051053a429b96f01b989d9f2.JPG

Nice that you were able to connect up and share a meal.  And inside a restaurant at that.  No inside dining here since early March.  This is a Mom and Pop place near home that I've adopted to help get through this mess.  Run by the nicest folks, who were one of the first here to come up with a clever reopening plan after being shut down for a month.  Order at the blocked off entry, eat at the outdoor tables.  The fried chicken sandwich is awesome and so big I can't eat it all at one sitting.  Half for lunch. Half for dinner.    

HH.jpg

HHFCS.jpg

Dad was on a troop ship heading to Hawaii when they got word of the surrender.  Somebody on the bridge got so excited they turned on all the ship's floodlights.  Until somebody on the bridge realized they were making a perfect target for any Japanese sub that didn't get the memo, or didn't care.  He said it was one of the scariest few minutes of the war in which he wasn't actually getting shot at. Except for whoever turned on the lights, nobody wanted to get torpedoed AFTER the war was over. Don't know if this really happened, but Dad liked to tell the story.