Norman D. Landing

bilko1

On 7/18/2020 at 8:01 AM, mikie said:

How wonderful. Just found out that a coworker caught the virus at a 4th of July party. He thought it would be OK to go.  I work in an essential industry so I have been fortunate to be able to go to the office, usually on my own.  But now we are on total shutdown until we get tested.  Had my test yesterday.  He is asymptomatic and if I have it, so am I.  I'm fine except for my usual aches and pains. But I have to self isolate until my results come back in a few days.   Not looking for sympathy, I'm pretty sure I am fine.  I'm far far more worried about passing this thing on to others than for myself. That should be everyone's main concern. Please please please learn the moral of the story...Wear a darned mask when you go out.  Keep your distance from others while in public. Don't go to parties for a while yet. Wash your hands and sanitiize a lot.  This has nothing to do with "freedom" or politics.  A virus doesn't give a rat's as about  your politics.  One person goes to a party not knowing they have it.  Next thing, dozens of people need to stay home, get tested and possibly get sick or die, and pass it along to people they don't even know and never met.  OK I'm off my sanitizer box.  Take care and be safe everyone!  I'll keep you posted. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I'm sorry to hear you have to experience this. I wish the best of health for you.

Rene

On 7/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, gravecreek said:

Thanks for the welcome. Have been following this tread for quite awhile. I enjoy it alot.

Like Ken, Mikie and Kat already said: Welcome! And as far as enjoying this thread I think you are not the only one 🙂

Rene

On 7/19/2020 at 3:50 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, well here's a closer image of the sun-dials I shot this morning while in Ste Mere, they are a feature of many properties in Normandy each one slightly different in design or size. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 19  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_593a.jpeg.d5baa055d79fb749aa6a3b88a3ef5d71.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5941.jpeg.b1ee5f7e595f4593109e166278f824d3.jpeg

Being an odd thing myself, odd things like this intrigue me. I wonder if it was a trademark of the architect or builder? I

Mikie

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

WWII German artwork, perhaps . . . . . . . .

recently found this lovely image, it appears to be WWII German artwork following the lines of US artwork of women factory workers, I have no further information on this image as to its originality or not, sometimes trust nothing, question everything  . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 20  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_597c.jpeg.90666564997920bde80279a02b1066a9.jpeg

Unfortunately I can't anything usefull about the artwork itself but I really like it. The depicted plane looks to be a ME109 with its inverted engine.8be771b7a8bbc1934098c026870f279d.jpg.a9f8adc5cd6f7751ce04c597a4f8beca.jpg

Rene

11 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Mikie, I'm sorry to hear you have to experience this. I wish the best of health for you.

Rene

No worries. I'm not sick and I get a few paid days off until my results come in.  My first down time since this whole thing started.  At least the timing worked out well. The 3 in-laws who have been staying with us the past year had just moved into their own place, so I have our "family room" back for me to relax in. Our house is just way too small for 7 adults. Though my dear wife would probably dispute that I fall into that category. 

Mikie

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

WWII German artwork, perhaps . . . . . . . .

recently found this lovely image, it appears to be WWII German artwork following the lines of US artwork of women factory workers, I have no further information on this image as to its originality or not, sometimes trust nothing, question everything  . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 20  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_597c.jpeg.90666564997920bde80279a02b1066a9.jpeg

If it wasn't for the plane, it would be easy to assume this was an American factory. 

Another Then and Now in one shot ( but you have to have damn good eyesight to see the Then picture so I've added a seperate picture). The Then picture shows the Venlo bridges on May 10th 1940 after the defending forces blew them up to prevent the invading Germans using them. During the war the bridges were repaired. I've also added a shot  that depicts the bridges after the Germans were done with them in late 1944.

SAM_9329a.jpg.da8663c503021d1dd24d617daab3acf3.jpg

SAM_9087a.jpg.3dec61c7e1d0dd703786487f1985e5b3.jpg

1513109896_venlobruggen4445.jpg.5c80fe5760193c92c8c99838c2b79945.jpg

Rene

1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

Another Then and Now in one shot ( but you have to have damn good eyesight to see the Then picture so I've added a seperate picture). The Then picture shows the Venlo bridges on May 10th 1940 after the defending forces blew them up to prevent the invading Germans using them. During the war the bridges were repaired. I've also added a shot  that depicts the bridges after the Germans were done with them in late 1944.

Rene

Rene,

Great pictures!  Is there a list of bridges that survived the war? I imagine most were completely damaged and needed rebuilding.

...Kat

Hi Mikie, well here's a closer image of the sun-dials I shot this morning while in Ste Mere, they are a feature of many properties in Normandy each one slightly different in design or size. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 19  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_593a.jpeg.d5baa055d79fb749aa6a3b88a3ef5d71.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5941.jpeg.b1ee5f7e595f4593109e166278f824d3.jpeg

I want one of those sun watches !
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/17/2020 at 11:01 PM, mikie said:

How wonderful. Just found out that a coworker caught the virus at a 4th of July party. He thought it would be OK to go.  I work in an essential industry so I have been fortunate to be able to go to the office, usually on my own.  But now we are on total shutdown until we get tested.  Had my test yesterday.  He is asymptomatic and if I have it, so am I.  I'm fine except for my usual aches and pains. But I have to self isolate until my results come back in a few days.   Not looking for sympathy, I'm pretty sure I am fine.  I'm far far more worried about passing this thing on to others than for myself. That should be everyone's main concern. Please please please learn the moral of the story...Wear a darned mask when you go out.  Keep your distance from others while in public. Don't go to parties for a while yet. Wash your hands and sanitize a lot.  This has nothing to do with "freedom" or politics.  A virus doesn't give a rat's as about  your politics.  One person goes to a party not knowing they have it.  Next thing, dozens of people need to stay home, get tested and possibly get sick or die, and pass it along to people they don't even know and never met.  OK I'm off my sanitizer box.  Take care and be safe everyone!  I'll keep you posted. 

Mikie

After an entire week, I finally got the test results back from the hospital. They are positive that I am negative.  Woohoo!  Back to work tomorrow!  It was nice to have a few days off.  I did manage to fix up a few projects around the house.  And more importantly, not annoy my dear wife too much.  Since I had to somewhat self-isolate, I really couldn't go out and take advantage of being off for a week.     Thanks all for your concern.  Take care, mask up, sanitize your paws,  keep your distances,  and lets all get through this darned thing!  

Mikie

On 7/20/2020 at 9:19 AM, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Good post, Rene!  And thanks for the reminder that there was a little bit of WWII in Europe before June 6, 1944. Something just a few in the US don't seem to know about.  

Mikie 

9 hours ago, mikie said:

After an entire week, I finally got the test results back from the hospital. They are positive that I am negative.  Woohoo!  Back to work tomorrow!  It was nice to have a few days off.  I did manage to fix up a few projects around the house.  And more importantly, not annoy my dear wife too much.  Since I had to somewhat self-isolate, I really couldn't go out and take advantage of being off for a week.     Thanks all for your concern.  Take care, mask up, sanitize your paws,  keep your distances,  and lets all get through this darned thing!  

Mikie

Mikie,

So glad you are well! I hope your coworker who tested positive is better soon. A close friend had it and said it is brutal!

...Kat

9 hours ago, mikie said:

Good post, Rene!  And thanks for the reminder that there was a little bit of WWII in Europe before June 6, 1944. Something just a few in the US don't seem to know about.  

Mikie 

I

Very true. And they also forget WWII didn't start at Pearl Harbor!

....Kat

On 7/23/2020 at 6:34 PM, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie, that's good news! Glad you're okay.

Rene

1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

Just a sanitized collecting picture.........

Rene

Rene,

Very appropriate for right now! Hahaha!

...Kat

8 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Just a sanitized collecting picture.........

SAM_9845.jpg.4d382eda50936acee859f1dd460ec112.jpg

Rene

I'm glad you were willing to come clean about your collecting habits. 

Mikie

Although I'm keeping a sharp eye on the current situation, I hope to go to Normandy coming Thursday for a few days with my uncle, who's never been there before so I hope that all the museums and sites with be open.

General Apathy
On 7/20/2020 at 4:42 PM, Murphy92 said:

Hello from Cherbourg
Dear neighbor, in the spirit of this lovely image, here is a vintage and very pretty photo also.
Regards
Giles

FB_IMG_1595139489094.jpg

Hi Giles,  apologies for the delay in welcoming you to the thread :lol:, a great image you added personally one I don't recall seeing before, hope you find other images or comments to add sometime. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27  2020. 

General Apathy
On 7/20/2020 at 6:19 PM, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Hi Rene,  thanks once again for filling in with some Then & Now images . . . . . . . enjoy seeing them as I have visited these areas over the years and seen the locations but not the images.

General Apathy
On 7/23/2020 at 6:40 PM, mikie said:

Mikie 

hahhaaa Mikie,  thank you, I once encountered a few sour faces when overhearing a conversation about the 41-45 war and I chirped in with  ' oh the short war, my family were in the 39-45 war ' . . . . . . . . . . . . . :blush:

On 7/26/2020 at 2:29 AM, earlymb said:

Although I'm keeping a sharp eye on the current situation, I hope to go to Normandy coming Thursday for a few days with my uncle, who's never been there before so I hope that all the museums and sites with be open.

Hope you have a good trip despite the situation.  Be sure to give us a report about your visit.

Mikie

General Apathy
On 7/23/2020 at 6:34 PM, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  I am sure we are all pleased with your good news, a relief for you and your family.