Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hi Ken

I found an old magazine publication in amongst my paperwork "The second Great War" from July 1946. Within it are some 'then and now' photos of 1944 and 2 years later in 1946. I enclose photos here. They cover Coutances, Marigny, Montebourg, Periers and St Lo. Although not on the beaches, they are very interesting Normandy break-out areas. It is fascinating to see how patched up and cleaned up the towns were by then. I hope the photos are clear enough and of interest!

Cheers Graham

P1060698.JPG

P1060700.JPG

P1060701.JPG

P1060702.JPG

P1060703.JPG

P1060704.JPG

Within the same magazine "The second Great War" July 1946 is a bit of British humour.... Oh to own one of those 75mm SP gun Halftracks!!

P1060697.JPG

General Apathy
On 7/4/2020 at 5:10 PM, MCDUFF said:

Hi Ken

I found an old magazine publication in amongst my paperwork "The second Great War" from July 1946. Within it are some 'then and now' photos of 1944 and 2 years later in 1946. I enclose photos here. They cover Coutances, Marigny, Montebourg, Periers and St Lo. Although not on the beaches, they are very interesting Normandy break-out areas. It is fascinating to see how patched up and cleaned up the towns were by then. I hope the photos are clear enough and of interest!

Cheers Graham

P1060702.JPG

Hi Graham,  many thanks for taking the time to make the posts showing the different towns Then & Now . . . . . . very enjoyable.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 05  2020. ( today would have been my fathers birthday )

General Apathy

German barbed wire stakes . . . . . . .

many people think of American M1 helmets as all the same, again that all Jeeps are the same unaware of all the small difference of style and materials incorporated into each one. Initially looking at German barbed wire stakes they all look identical certainly the poles standing above ground level, however the plates at the base of the stakes below ground have differences, so far I have three different styles. In no particular order here are the three styles. 

#1 first up, the this stake is riveted to the topside of the plate with the use of three ' L ' shape brackets, with only the rivet heads visible on the underside off the plate.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 05  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_57f4.jpeg.7e0e5bfb52108530a6ab1ac864b4167b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_57f3.jpeg.c1eb30618fb5cf482b1f135474c428e5.jpeg

General Apathy

many people think of American M1 helmets as all the same, again that all Jeeps are the same unaware of all the small difference of style and materials incorporated into each one. Initially looking at German barbed wire stakes they all look identical certainly the poles standing above ground level, however the plates at the base of the stakes below ground have differences, so far I have three different styles. In no particular order here are the three styles. 

#2, second up several inches of the lower end of the stake are cut passed through slots in the plate folded underneath and riveted through the plate.

.fullsizeoutput_57f5.jpeg.381e26db61d2be335a84622653c89b36.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_57f6.jpeg.4016d0d8c1577baec665fce3116a6483.jpeg

General Apathy

#3, third up,  several inches of the lower end of the stake are cut passed through slots in the plate folded underneath and riveted through the plate. However this stake also has two shaped support brackets bolted on the top side of the plate.

Once in the ground with a foot or two of compacted soil on the plate then the stakes are virtually unremovable without digging out. In fact soil was sufficient to hold them steady without the need for concrete, many of this stakes can be seen bent over or almost flattened by heavy vehicles or tanks having passed over them and still not wrenched out the ground. 

.fullsizeoutput_57f8.jpeg.e725b5494f344b1a7840e78e2340fe2b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_57f7.jpeg.825972f610901d38138d444b3fe01d0e.jpeg

Hi Ken

Cheers Graham

P1060698.JPG

P1060700.JPG

P1060701.JPG

P1060702.JPG

P1060703.JPG

P1060704.JPG

Thanks for posting, Graham. Very interesting.

Rene

On 7/2/2020 at 1:24 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mike, sad to hear that you feel you might never make it here to Normandy, nothing to stop you getting a Jeep though, I found you Jeeps for sale in California, sadly you will be not just a day late and a dollar short, you're 74 years late and several hundred dollars short . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 02  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_551d.jpeg.0e7b57a6ec9099d6112d1f3caaa13290.jpeg

Hi Ken nice add. Regarding surplus I found this article in the Stars and Stripes of may 10th, 1945. Jeeps weren't made directly available as you can see. This was not to everyone's liking though.........

SAM_9440.jpg.0e81a2519ebfb126039e5495fc097300.jpg

SAM_9442.jpg.8a9422e2a981476aea6b01a93b31a93f.jpg

General Apathy
45 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, the term stakeholder comes to mind...........................

Rene

Hi Rene,  I would have staked money on either you or Mikie coming up with a pun . . . . . . . lets see if Mikie gets wired enough to come up with one if he gets himself to the plate . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
34 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

From the same S&S but not related........obviously spoken from the heart 😊

SAM_9443.jpg.66a824f9fda52885570a75f45a400852.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, some nice pieces from the Stars & Stripes paper, outdated models of Jeeps were sold off to the public all through WWII. 

About twenty years ago in the USA my friend Ernest Childers ( MoH ) took me to a facility that sold off military articles, only ex-service personnel could purchase from this place, the item that caught my eye at the time was a solid rubber Armalite drill rifle, would have been difficult to get back on a plane with it ??????

Reading the article shown above with the writer complaining that he found people trying to tell others what to do rang a bell with me. Over the last ten years and accelerating more recently is the phenomenon of people in the entertainment industry preaching their pet subject to the audiences and insisting that the audience should fall in line with those thoughts. If I have paid to see a singer sing, I want songs, or for a sports person to play sport and I don't wish to be dictated to . . . . . . . .

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,  I would have staked money on either you or Mikie coming up with a pun . . . . . . . lets see if Mikie gets wired enough to come up with one if he gets himself to the plate . . . . . . . 

I can't think of a thing so I just wired my cousin Barb to see if she had an idea. 

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

#3, third up,  several inches of the lower end of the stake are cut passed through slots in the plate folded underneath and riveted through the plate. However this stake also has two shaped support brackets bolted on the top side of the plate.

Once in the ground with a foot or two of compacted soil on the plate then the stakes are virtually unremovable without digging out. In fact soil was sufficient to hold them steady without the need for concrete, many of this stakes can be seen bent over or almost flattened by heavy vehicles or tanks having passed over them and still not wrenched out the ground. 

.fullsizeoutput_57f8.jpeg.e725b5494f344b1a7840e78e2340fe2b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_57f7.jpeg.825972f610901d38138d444b3fe01d0e.jpeg

You are correct. I never stopped to think about German fence posts. interesting variety of base plates. Wonder how the American and British posts were like. 

Mikie

On 7/2/2020 at 4:24 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mike, sad to hear that you feel you might never make it here to Normandy, nothing to stop you getting a Jeep though, I found you Jeeps for sale in California, sadly you will be not just a day late and a dollar short, you're 74 years late and several hundred dollars short . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 02  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_551d.jpeg.0e7b57a6ec9099d6112d1f3caaa13290.jpeg

Yep, 74 years late and dollars short...been there done that. A lot!  

Mikie

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene, some nice pieces from the Stars & Stripes paper, outdated models of Jeeps were sold off to the public all through WWII. 

About twenty years ago in the USA my friend Ernest Childers ( MoH ) took me to a facility that sold off military articles, only ex-service personnel could purchase from this place, the item that caught my eye at the time was a solid rubber Armalite drill rifle, would have been difficult to get back on a plane with it ??????

Reading the article shown above with the writer complaining that he found people trying to tell others what to do rang a bell with me. Over the last ten years and accelerating more recently is the phenomenon of people in the entertainment industry preaching their pet subject to the audiences and insisting that the audience should fall in line with those thoughts. If I have paid to see a singer sing, I want songs, or for a sports person to play sport and I don't wish to be dictated to . . . . . . . .

My buddy Frank has a very vocal pet peeve about this too. Whenever he complains about some celebrity pontificating on something or other, I just tell him..."But...but... she (or he) is a CELEBRITY! ".

General Apathy
10 hours ago, mikie said:

I can't think of a thing so I just wired my cousin Barb to see if she had an idea. 

Hi Mikie,  has Barb wired you back yet . . . . . . . . . . . . I think you staked too much on her helping you, she might get defensive and just string you along from post to post . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 06  2020.

General Apathy

Collectors dream find . . . . . . . . . 

just acquired this image this morning, very interesting shot which appears to have been photographed at a US homeland base, nice stack of boots, notice the ones positioned at the side of the chairs . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_5814.jpeg.fd0e9c59e8326ef65eee7ea87d36d244.jpeg

Hi Ken

Cheers Graham

P1060698.JPG

P1060700.JPG

P1060701.JPG

P1060702.JPG

P1060703.JPG

P1060704.JPG

The Coutances railway viaduct as it stands today; they managed to replace the Bailey-section by now :)

621556149_Screenshot_2020-07-06GoogleMaps.png.afe1d20c1d47ced72bd1d269c8797b6e.png

General Apathy
1 hour ago, earlymb said:

The Coutances railway viaduct as it stands today; they managed to replace the Bailey-section by now :)

621556149_Screenshot_2020-07-06GoogleMaps.png.afe1d20c1d47ced72bd1d269c8797b6e.png

Hi Early MB,  thanks for the googled photo, I passed this spot last July,  on the way through I spotted that there had been a tubular frame put up supporting a large wartime shot of the viaduct.  On my return I intended to stop and capture shots of the viaduct, the photo and a photo of them both together however before I returned the framed image had been removed.

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Collectors dream find . . . . . . . . . 

just acquired this image this morning, very interesting shot which appears to have been photographed at a US homeland base, nice stack of boots, notice the ones positioned at the side of the chairs . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_5814.jpeg.fd0e9c59e8326ef65eee7ea87d36d244.jpeg

Ken,

Great picture. What I find interesting is how the floor is made so the soldiers doing the shoe fitting can stand while working rather than having to sit at weird angles.

...Kat

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  has Barb wired you back yet . . . . . . . . . . . . I think you staked too much on her helping you, she might get defensive and just string you along from post to post . . . . . . . 

She can't decide on what to say either.  We are both on the fence about it. But I will post once we came up with something. 

By the way, I really do have a cousin Barb(ara). 

Mikie 

2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

Great picture. What I find interesting is how the floor is made so the soldiers doing the shoe fitting can stand while working rather than having to sit at weird angles.

...Kat

Yes, Kat.  I thought that was quite clever too. 

Mikie

General Apathy

Aerial image Ste Mere Eglise 1960 . . . . . . . .

Aerial shot from the internet taken in 1960, the museum in the top right corner hadn't been started as yet, neither was the now regular feature of the paratrooper dummy hanging from the church. Very few cars to be seen a couple in the square and a couple over on the left of the photo, the American cemetery in the town was to the left of the football field until it was removed to Omaha Beach area in 1947. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 07  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_584c.jpeg.c9303bfb96065a50f8dd2abad8f1d078.jpeg