Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Nothing military about this Then & Now, but this reminded me of Rene's post. 

The tiny town of Niles is about 20 miles from home.  In 1915, Charlie Chaplin made several movies there as part of an experiment to create a movie industry in Northern California.  It failed, and that was probably the last interesting thing that ever happened there.  This year's annual Niles Charlie Chaplin festival has been forced to go virtual.   

The caption to the photo says...

WHY NILES IS A BIG DEAL TO CHARLIE CHAPLIN FANS....because he made movies here!
Charlie Chaplin was in Niles 100 years ago now making 5 films for Essanay. In this Then & Now combo photo (or is it "then surrounded by Now"), Edna Purviance is on the left with Charlie (hands in pockets) in a photo taken in early 1915 next door to what is now our theater/museum.
Legend has it that Edna was living in the house they're in front of.

Mikie

105394426_10157122480491890_1033607578623543331_o.jpg

General Apathy
On 6/22/2020 at 4:11 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Just getting back to the Jeep in Normandy theme with a few photos from the 'Archives'….

Jeep on the road from Creully to Arromanches, 1984...

46496275_2240407939537247_7951876131701915648_n.jpg

Hi Johan,  thanks for adding all the cycles and Jeep photos keeping the military feeling going . . . . . I suspect that your jeep is itching to be riding around Normandy again once your rebuild is finished. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 27  2020.

General Apathy
23 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Thanks, Kat.

Your wish is my command, Mikie

Shown is the little harbour which today only sees recreational use. The Maas river bridges are to the right. The river itself is towards the photographers back.

Rene

SAM_9083a.jpg.5a80b8f0cc427a67ccf4691be32487ac.jpg

Hi Rene, thanks for adding your regular Then and Now shots of Holland . . . . . . . . . I need to be doing some more when I can.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 27  2020.

General Apathy
9 hours ago, mikie said:

Nothing military about this Then & Now, but this reminded me of Rene's post. 

The tiny town of Niles is about 20 miles from home.  In 1915, Charlie Chaplin made several movies there as part of an experiment to create a movie industry in Northern California.  It failed, and that was probably the last interesting thing that ever happened there.  This year's annual Niles Charlie Chaplin festival has been forced to go virtual.   

The caption to the photo says...

WHY NILES IS A BIG DEAL TO CHARLIE CHAPLIN FANS....because he made movies here!
Charlie Chaplin was in Niles 100 years ago now making 5 films for Essanay. In this Then & Now combo photo (or is it "then surrounded by Now"), Edna Purviance is on the left with Charlie (hands in pockets) in a photo taken in early 1915 next door to what is now our theater/museum.
Legend has it that Edna was living in the house they're in front of.

Mikie

105394426_10157122480491890_1033607578623543331_o.jpg

Hi Mikie,  Nothing military about this, but it reminded me of Claude Monet's 1900 painting  ' Pathway of Flowers '.

thank you for the very interesting photo within a photo.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 21  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_574b.jpeg.7508219de6f55352892235e5f2fbac5c.jpeg

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,  Nothing military about this, but it reminded me of Claude Monet's 1900 painting  ' Pathway of Flowers '.

thank you for the very interesting photo within a photo.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 21  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_574b.jpeg.7508219de6f55352892235e5f2fbac5c.jpeg

Your photo is a work of art itself. I also like your flowerpot. Do you have your own brand of ceramics? My late artist aunt Stella was quite good at pottery. My Dad dabbled with it a bit. All when I was young a long time ago. I quite enjoyed it myself for the short time we had the operation going. 

Johan Willaert
8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I suspect that your jeep is itching to be riding around Normandy again once your rebuild is finished. 

If ( ! ) all goes as planned it should be finished by early spring next year and we've been planning to bring it (and maybe one or two other Jeeps) to Normandy in June 2021...

ff33021e234f29c23ae9cc7872d3ac80.jpg
My friend Bruce just finished this toy.
It’s fully working.
It was a long rebuild and runs like a dream
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, kammo-man said:

81381b8086139cb1cdf850379246ebef.jpg
I don’t see what not to understand
A pink panther?

Thank you Owen.  I've had the Pink Panther theme running in my head since you put this up.

That's OK though.  When my daughter was little, I once had the Telletubbies theme stuck in my head fr 2 weeks!  Oh the horror!  

Mikie

19 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Try having
In the night garden for 3 years

I had no idea what that was so had to look it up.  You have my deepest sympathy.

Mikie

Back to core business.... here's another Then and Now in one shot. Today this spot is virtually unrecognisable. Unfortunately this is more due to overzealous post war urban renewal than war damage.

Rene

SAM_9328a.jpg.ad1e718844f62257e717c8c4074a16fb.jpg

Rene,

Great then and now picture. It is hard to tell if is the same spot. Sometimes urban renewal is not for the best. 

...Kat

General Apathy
On 6/18/2020 at 8:05 PM, mikie said:

I will second Kat's comments. Chances are I will never be there in person.  So seeing it from those of you who have been there is the best I can hope for.

Thanks!

Mikie 

Hi Mike, sad to hear that you feel you might never make it here to Normandy, nothing to stop you getting a Jeep though, I found you Jeeps for sale in California, sadly you will be not just a day late and a dollar short, you're 74 years late and several hundred dollars short . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 02  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_551d.jpeg.0e7b57a6ec9099d6112d1f3caaa13290.jpeg

General Apathy

Still having a tidy up  . . . . . . . .

Thanks, Johan, Rene, Mikie, Kat, Owen, Piet for all your recent posts and keeping the flow going . . . . . . . . . 

Been tidying various things, house, garden, boxes, shelves, life . . . . . .  pulled out this January 1944 Technical Manual as an example of the breadth of manuals that the US Army produced during WWII.  Most people would consider it frivolous due to it's subject but the quartermaster repair and supply units would probably have made use of it.  

.fullsizeoutput_57d1.jpeg.368285e1f799563431bff082e84a5f80.jpeg

General Apathy

Friends Jeeping day . . . . . . . 

yesterday was Jeeping friend Douglas's birthday, so a few other Jeeping friends got together with Douglas and took a ride out along country roads and tracks north of London, lovely shot of the sky above them . . . . . . Sadly not possible for me to have joined them. 

.IMG_7188.jpeg.86c02d5cd7dac7d1bd7b724cc2dd2769.jpeg

General Apathy

You and me and a dog named blue . . . . . . . 

how I would like to own this truck, it's a Dutch registered 1940's Dodge currently advertised for sale on Milweb, with past experience of trying to get non French cars registered here then it's too risky buying such a vehicle and then not being able to get French registration.

.fullsizeoutput_5786.jpeg.5a7a08e44c63e3a27433ae417ec60799.jpeg