Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Thx Kat, Yes next to Jeeps, Harleys and handcarts, I have always had a keen interest in WW2 Military bicycles, especially American ones...

When I was about 10 in the mid-1970s I watched 'From Here to Eternity' for the first time and in one of the scenes a Sgt rides a G519 WW2 US Army bicycle...

Being from Belgium, which is a cycling nation, I was hooked on those bikes and just had to get one...

Still took me until about 2003 to find a correct example and I now have three; a Men's model from both makers Huffman and Westfield Columbia and an ultrarare Women's model made by Westfield Columbia which my wife and daughter enjoy...

I love to take them to shows to just ride around... Always dozens of Jeeps at shows but I'm pretty much the only US bike rider there...

Below a family portrait of my three bikes taken in our back yard...

If you'd like to learn about these, please see my website at: http://www.theliberator.be/militarybicycles.htm

3xG519.jpg

Hi Johan,  thanks for pedalling your cycle website here on the thread once again  . . . . . . . . . . . . come on Mikie & Rene see if you can come up with an equal pun or even a better one, give it a push you might even be able to keep this one free-wheeling . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 19  2020.

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene, this Art Deco balustrade is situated at the Victory Memorial Parkway WWI Monument - Minneapolis, Minnesota. The whole of the monument is very decorative and worth seeing should anyone make a visit.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 20  2020.

Another brilliant deduction! What was the giveaway? That 3rd blade of grass on the left? 

😁

Mikie

4 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

I think many of us have seen our fair share of war memorials/statues etc. I came across this photo on the net and  I really like the subtle approach that the designer came up with. Unfortunately I have no idea where this is.

Rene

skft-9db226dd33dbe879292e1618f0048cda.jpg.e1f3cf1e50f29756a41c55a5a9167d75.jpg

Now that is cool! 

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  thanks for pedalling your cycle website here on the thread once again  . . . . . . . . . . . . come on Mikie & Rene see if you can come up with an equal pun or even a better one, give it a push you might even be able to keep this one free-wheeling . . . . . . . . :lol:

Since you spoke of puns, guess I will have to shift gears and try to think of some. Give me a minute, and wheel see what I can come up with. 

Mikie

9 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Thx Kat, Yes next to Jeeps, Harleys and handcarts, I have always had a keen interest in WW2 Military bicycles, especially American ones...

When I was about 10 in the mid-1970s I watched 'From Here to Eternity' for the first time and in one of the scenes a Sgt rides a G519 WW2 US Army bicycle...

Being from Belgium, which is a cycling nation, I was hooked on those bikes and just had to get one...

Still took me until about 2003 to find a correct example and I now have three; a Men's model from both makers Huffman and Westfield Columbia and an ultrarare Women's model made by Westfield Columbia which my wife and daughter enjoy...

I love to take them to shows to just ride around... Always dozens of Jeeps at shows but I'm pretty much the only US bike rider there...

Below a family portrait of my three bikes taken in our back yard...

If you'd like to learn about these, please see my website at: http://www.theliberator.be/militarybicycles.htm

3xG519.jpg

Great bikes! My dear Daughter just bought a new bike to keep her amused during the lockdown. I took it for a ride after assembling it. I got about 20 feet before by bad back and worse knee let me know in no uncertain terms that they were not enjoying the ride. 

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Wheelie, Ken?  Nah, I'm two tired...…………… the best ones have been made already so I would have to saddle for second best.....and as far as puns go you and Mikie are the spokes persons, anyway.

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene, this Art Deco balustrade is situated at the Victory Memorial Parkway WWI Monument - Minneapolis, Minnesota. The whole of the monument is very decorative and worth seeing should anyone make a visit.

Thanks, for identifying the monument, Ken. A quick visit is out of the question, unfortunately.

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Ken

How do you also find different sites here in the U.S.?? You are amazing!!!

...Kat

General Apathy
8 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken

How do you also find different sites here in the U.S.?? You are amazing!!!

...Kat

Hi Kat,  thanks, I have always tried to be a sponge soaking up information and detail. Here's another Then & Now for you.

Spent an hour in Ste Mere this morning checking houses to match with the 1946 image of the first anniversary parade. I couldn’t get to the same position as in the 1946 image due to a motorway bridge now straddling this road in that position.   

Sadly this house has had slates added to the side wall within the last two years. If you look to the left of the American flag it’s possible to see the small roof window and also the decorative stonework down the corner of the wall and around the windows. Below the wall painting the roof slope of the attached garage is visible.. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 21  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_5682.jpeg.cdea0537ef8a28fd10d3020b55d7e10e.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_56cf.jpeg.648149d553d659e00f3fbfd5e63a2913.jpeg

General Apathy

French village finds messages from WWI-era US soldiers . . . . . . . . . 

https://www.france24.com/en/20180311-france-village-charmoy-wwi-war-us-soldiers-history

General Apathy
22 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Wheelie, Ken?  Nah, I'm two tired...…………… the best ones have been made already so I would have to saddle for second best.....and as far as puns go you and Mikie are the spokes persons, anyway.

Hi Rene, you were on a roll there . . . . . .

Question for you 

Q:  Why does Johan take his bicycle to bed with him?

A:  Because he doesn't want to walk in his sleep. 

Johan Willaert

Just getting back to the Jeep in Normandy theme with a few photos from the 'Archives'….

Jeep on the road from Creully to Arromanches, 1984...

46496275_2240407939537247_7951876131701915648_n.jpg

Johan Willaert

The intersection of the D514 Coastal Road and the road leading to Pointe du Hoc.... Long before the roundabout was put there… 1989 too
Parking at the Pointe du Hoc was in the grass, and there were no barriers near the edge...

GPW-PointeduHoc-Jun1989.jpg

22 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Question for you 

Ken,

You are not right! Hahahahahaha!!

Great then and now pictures. 

...Kat

26 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

My GPW Jeep at Pegasus Bridge (the original one) and above Arromanches in June 1989

Johan,

Great pictures! This one at the Pegasus bridge is my favorite!

...Kat

On 6/21/2020 at 8:53 AM, General Apathy said:

Question for you 

Oh that was terrible. Terribly funny! 

Then and Now made easy...…….because of the 75th liberation anniversary of Venlo a special app has been developed that enables those who are interested to follow a special route through town. At certain spots war time photographs have been placed and with your cellphone you can 'call up' background info. Here's an example. And as you can see it's a one shot Then and Now 😊. The building itself is close by the Maas river bridges and was only one of the very few that more or less survived the bombing runs in this area. 

Rene

SAM_9060a.jpg.c6ac9e8c81ca9845373347642c2c1a3f.jpg

21 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Then and Now made easy...…….because of the 75th liberation anniversary of Venlo a special app has been developed that enables those who are interested to follow a special route through town. At certain spots war time photographs have been placed and with your cellphone you can 'call up' background info. Here's an example. And as you can see it's a one shot Then and Now 😊. The building itself is close by the Maas river bridges and was only one of the very few that more or less survived the bombing runs in this area. 

Rene

Rene,

This would be so great to be able to walk around and listen to the history. Amazing stuff y'all are doing over there.

...Kat

On 6/21/2020 at 2:55 AM, General Apathy said:

French village finds messages from WWI-era US soldiers . . . . . . . . . 

https://www.france24.com/en/20180311-france-village-charmoy-wwi-war-us-soldiers-history

I've heard of militaria coming out of the woodwork, but this is coming out of the stonework.  

Finally was able to take a look at this.  A moment frozen in time.

10 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

SAM_9060a.jpg.c6ac9e8c81ca9845373347642c2c1a3f.jpg

Well that makes things easy.   Hope you plan on posting some more.  

Thanks, Kat.

Your wish is my command, Mikie

Shown is the little harbour which today only sees recreational use. The Maas river bridges are to the right. The river itself is towards the photographers back.

Rene

SAM_9083a.jpg.5a80b8f0cc427a67ccf4691be32487ac.jpg