Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert

Just a message for Ken... I did get your D-Day report, but my emails keep bouncing back....
Don't know if the trouble is on your side of the 'tube' or mine...

General Apathy
On 6/8/2020 at 9:40 PM, mikie said:

Sad to hear it was such a quiet "celebration"  this year. Bottle up the usual enthusiasm and have double the fun next year!  

Hi Mikie, thanks for your comment,  not only a quiet ' celebration ' also a quiet response to the events report on D-Day here in Normandy.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 10  2020. 

Ken,

I had a busy week and just got a chance to read your report of D-Day. Your discussion of the events was very emotional to read. I was thinking about how our WWII veterans are getting so old and vulnerable. I completely understand about why events were cancelled because we need to protect our vulnerable. I just wonder how many veterans won't live to see June 6, 2021.

Thank you for all you do in this thread to keep the stories from Normandy in our hearts. This is by far the best thread on this forum.

I hope June 6, 2021 is a huge celebration!

...Kat

General Apathy
16 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I had a busy week and just got a chance to read your report of D-Day. Your discussion of the events was very emotional to read. I was thinking about how our WWII veterans are getting so old and vulnerable. I completely understand about why events were cancelled because we need to protect our vulnerable. I just wonder how many veterans won't live to see June 6, 2021.

Thank you for all you do in this thread to keep the stories from Normandy in our hearts. This is by far the best thread on this forum.

I hope June 6, 2021 is a huge celebration!

...Kat

Hi Kat,  thanks for the comment, I was just wondering if it had been taken in what a strange event this years commemorations had been due to this awful pandemic virus gripping the world . . . . . . 

I know the Then & Now images are a favourite part of this thread for you, I actually managed to capture a new set yesterday, an image of three soldiers sitting on steps with St Mere Eglise town square behind them.  The square has changed considerably over the last few years, the wartime trees were replaced, the surface re-gritted and the steps they were sat on replaced, the church would be off to the left of this photo.

There is little to make comparison of except for location of the steps and the window in the background between the soldier in the centre and the one on the right. The temporary wooden structure to the rear of the soldier in the centre and the one on the left was dismantled back in the late 50's or early 60's, I believe it was the offices for the cattle market that pre-war and during the war were held in the town square.  The cattle market was relocated indoors to a purpose built building just off the main square. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 11  2020. 

fullsizeoutput_555b.jpeg.c687bc47fa4cbf5ed0f914d521f16cb2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_553e.jpeg.e92eb5bdfe78fb2631ada1f34d83eaa4.jpeg

Ken,

Great then and now pictures. Sorry to hear the trees are now gone from the square. Sometimes change is not always for the better.

...Kat

19 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  thanks for the comment, I was just wondering if it had been taken in what a strange event this years commemorations had been due to this awful pandemic virus gripping the world . . . . . . 

I know the Then & Now images are a favourite part of this thread for you, I actually managed to capture a new set yesterday, an image of three soldiers sitting on steps with St Mere Eglise town square behind them.  The square has changed considerably over the last few years, the wartime trees were replaced, the surface re-gritted and the steps they were sat on replaced, the church would be off to the left of this photo.

There is little to make comparison of except for location of the steps and the window in the background between the soldier in the centre and the one on the right. The temporary wooden structure to the rear of the soldier in the centre and the one on the left was dismantled back in the late 50's or early 60's, I believe it was the offices for the cattle market that pre-war and during the war were held in the town square.  The cattle market was relocated indoors to a purpose built building just off the main square. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 11  2020. 

fullsizeoutput_555b.jpeg.c687bc47fa4cbf5ed0f914d521f16cb2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_553e.jpeg.e92eb5bdfe78fb2631ada1f34d83eaa4.jpeg

Almost looks like the soldier in the middle is looking at his cell phone. 

Sad to hear that they didn't even try to recreate the wartime look of the area.

2 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WEAPON THE GUY ON THE LEFT HAS

Good question. Something captured? But that looks like a US sling?

4 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WEAPON THE GUY ON THE LEFT HAS

Its an M1 Garand with the leather M1907 sling. When photo is enlarged you can make out the bayonet lug etc.

6 minutes ago, 72psb said:

Looks like a Garand to me.Angle of rifle makes it look shorter.

Probably right. can't remember, do cameras make Garands gain or lose a few inches? 

General Apathy
On 5/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, Johan Willaert said:

The O'Brien was temporarily moved to Pier 35 while the Port and other agencies clear debris and complete inspections of Pier 45’s infrastructure...

obrien-at-35.jpg

Hi Johan,  Thanks for the images of the O'Brien, really pleased that it avoided any damage during the recent fire.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17  2020. 

General Apathy
On 6/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, mikie said:

The invasion has been postponed.  

Hi Mikie,  well very strange that this year the anniversary was postponed due to the virus, in June 44 the invasion was almost postponed due to predictions of weather conditions both before and for after the actual invasion. 

General Apathy
On 6/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, Johan Willaert said:

If not for Covid-19, today we would have been on our way to Nomandy for the 76th Anniversary of the Allied Landings....

Will be strange not dropping by Ken's place in June....

Enjoy Ken, guess it will be rather quiet over there this year...

Hi Johan, apologies I have been slightly distracted by the lack of activity here on this thread and just catching up.

As the Mayor of Ste Mere Eglise had restricted to ten the attendees of the commemorations, then I took photographs of the bouquets a few days later . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_562d.jpeg.8b6a4c0880ed70b188a90653aa7de4d0.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_562e.jpeg.3ba8020571bd84f3d96c45e11b41237b.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_562f.jpeg.8cb3e38e56e458d926f7ea032c882baf.jpeg

General Apathy
On 6/4/2020 at 9:36 PM, Dogsbody said:

Taking another shot...…….??? who or what did you shoot?……………..sorry, couldn't resist, hahaha 

Rene

Hi Rene,  yes you're BANG on with that pun . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy
On 6/8/2020 at 10:55 PM, mikie said:

Since Owen opened up a can of worms by asking about canning, thought I'd share a bit of my local history.  This bank building is on The Alameda in San Jose, CA, about 2 miles from home.  I occasionally pass it on my neighborhood walks.  It was once the home of Dr. James Dawson and his wife Eloise.  Dr Dawson's inventions gave birth to the modern canning industry in the back yard of his house.  These links explain the story much better than I possibly could.  

From this humble home, such companies as Del Monte, Dole, and even  Food Machinery Corporation, FMC, makers of US tracked military vehicles since 1941, trace their origins. I posted about the site of the old FMC plant a while ago.  It's now the home arena for the San Jose Earthquakes soccer team. 

https://www.sanjoseinside.com/news/the_canning_industry_in_san_jose/

http://onlineexhibits.historysanjose.org/cannerylife/through-the-years/1872-1916/san-jose-fruit-packing-co.html

Enjoy!

Dawson House  Today bank.jpg

Dawson House 1915 firys canning backyard 1871.jpg

LVT-1_3.jpg

Hi Mikie,  thanks for the shot of the very early LVT, not seen that one before and in your neighbourhood  . . . . . . Have you you thought about buying a truck and LVT to re-enact that scene . . . . . . . .  we will all wait while you run through the possibilities of doing so with the wife. !!!!

General Apathy

˙

Hi Terry, as you have a penchant for color more so than O.D. here's this weeks bountiful display of roses in the garden . . . . . . 

.IMG_5225.JPG.64138cf81df95ab36d1c7ff38870df07.JPG 

.fullsizeoutput_5630.jpeg.53599353d2eaf5e752d64d06000377c4.jpeg

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

˙

Hi Terry, as you have a penchant for color more so than O.D. here's this weeks bountiful display of roses in the garden . . . . . . 

.IMG_5225.JPG.64138cf81df95ab36d1c7ff38870df07.JPG 

.fullsizeoutput_5630.jpeg.53599353d2eaf5e752d64d06000377c4.jpeg

Oh, that's beautiful! 

Ken and Johan,

I was thinking since this year's D-Day festivities had to be cancelled , can we take a trip down memory lane? You may have said some of this before so forgive my old brain for forgetting. I thought this might be interesting and fun. 

When was your first trip to a D-Day festival? Did you go as a spectator or participant? What do you remember most from your first one?

Which one was your favorite and why?

How many different vehicles have you ridden in for a parade? I assume both of you always ride in jeeps but you may have branched out. 

Which one was the coldest and most miserable weather wise? 

Who was the most memorable veteran you met at a festival?

Have you met many female veterans especially pilots?

What is the most memorable item that you bought at a festival?

Have I forgotten anything?

...Kat

General Apathy
4 hours ago, mikie said:

Oh, that's beautiful! 

Hi Mikie,  thanks the first close up was shot in sunshine, sadly however the second shot was taken during a tropical style downpour so the colors weren't so bright.  Here's another couple of shots. 

.fullsizeoutput_5640.jpeg.818412919d8f5d0f97a006b58469d87b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5641.jpeg.7ec96bfe440830212659777f92e944a5.jpeg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken and Johan,

I was thinking since this year's D-Day festivities had to be cancelled , can we take a trip down memory lane? You may have said some of this before so forgive my old brain for forgetting. I thought this might be interesting and fun. 

When was your first trip to a D-Day festival? Did you go as a spectator or participant? What do you remember most from your first one?

Which one was your favorite and why?

How many different vehicles have you ridden in for a parade? I assume both of you always ride in jeeps but you may have branched out. 

Which one was the coldest and most miserable weather wise? 

Who was the most memorable veteran you met at a festival?

Have you met many female veterans especially pilots?

What is the most memorable item that you bought at a festival?

Have I forgotten anything?

...Kat

Hi Kat,  thanks for the questions, I will come back to answer them tomorrow after I have looked for a few photos to illuminate my replies.

11 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  thanks for the questions, I will come back to answer them tomorrow after I have looked for a few photos to illuminate my replies.

Ken,

Sorry for so many questions. No hurry! I just thought it might be something fun and interesting. I love your usual reports of the celebrations and missed them this year.

...Kat

General Apathy

Location identification . . . . . . . . . 

I had several hours of detective work fun this afternoon after finding an old email from Nigel a military vehicle friend. Nigel had sent me a photograph of a group of British soldiers featured on the front cover of a wartime LIFE magazine and asked if I could find the location of the shot and today I had more time to think about it. While looking at the shot the first thing that is evident is the name of a pub on the left of the photo ' The Six Bells Inn ', so google six bells inn and there are hundreds if not a thousand pubs with that name in the Uk, so no closer.

.13265849_1233725053318480_4929999823554261368_n.jpg.58348592e083a693a2966aae68a06507.jpg

On closer inspection there is the symbol of a six pointed star above the pub name, think back what brewery's do I recall that used a six pointed star, again google brewery company logo's. Many rows down of the brewery symbols thrown up by Google appears a six pointed star with ' Phipps NBC ' emblazoned upon it, check this out with the photo and we have a match, the letter C visible on the right of the symbol in the photograph. ( Northampton Brewery Co.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phipps_NBC )

.fullsizeoutput_563e.jpeg.3974bb0d9c35ffc1564d42931889cc1c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5643.jpeg.b655420b996f62fedadf0e7f6afa0080.jpeg

Now I'm motoring find a website for historical English pubs, and half way down the website ' The Six Bells ' pub, Bicester, Oxfordshire. 

( http://s554040868.initial-website.co.uk/history/pubs-in-the-past/ ).  Note the same single window in the centre of the roof, the Phipps NBC six pointed star above the pub sign and again on the front wall of the pub.  

.cache_28709486.jpg.cc1e45e921b7c090a9bd4aab3a9322c1.jpg

. Now google search for the actual website of the pub and come up with a more modern shot of the pub in 2007. A further search for information on the Six Bells brings forth a recent application to the local council for change of use from a pub to a restaurant.  

( https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1046487 )

Now what we need to find now are the names of the two men on the motorcycles, and perhaps their addresses, wives names and names of their pet dogs, however maybe  a step too far this evening . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Location identification . . . . . . . . . 

I had several hours of detective work fun this afternoon after finding an old email from Nigel a military vehicle friend. Nigel had sent me a photograph of a group of British soldiers featured on the front cover of a wartime LIFE magazine and asked if I could find the location of the shot and today I had more time to think about it. While looking at the shot the first thing that is evident is the name of a pub on the left of the photo ' The Six Bells Inn ', so google six bells inn and there are hundreds if not a thousand pubs with that name in the Uk, so no closer.

.13265849_1233725053318480_4929999823554261368_n.jpg.58348592e083a693a2966aae68a06507.jpg

On closer inspection there is the symbol of a six pointed star above the pub name, think back what brewery's do I recall that used a six pointed star, again google brewery company logo's. Many rows down of the brewery symbols thrown up by Google appears a six pointed star with ' Phipps NBC ' emblazoned upon it, check this out with the photo and we have a match, the letter C visible on the right of the symbol in the photograph. ( Northampton Brewery Co.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phipps_NBC )

.fullsizeoutput_563e.jpeg.3974bb0d9c35ffc1564d42931889cc1c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5643.jpeg.b655420b996f62fedadf0e7f6afa0080.jpeg

Now I'm motoring find a website for historical English pubs, and half way down the website ' The Six Bells ' pub, Bicester, Oxfordshire. 

( http://s554040868.initial-website.co.uk/history/pubs-in-the-past/ ).  Note the same single window in the centre of the roof, the Phipps NBC six pointed star above the pub sign and again on the front wall of the pub.  

.cache_28709486.jpg.cc1e45e921b7c090a9bd4aab3a9322c1.jpg

. Now google search for the actual website of the pub and come up with a more modern shot of the pub in 2007. A further search for information on the Six Bells brings forth a recent application to the local council for change of use from a pub to a restaurant.  

( https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1046487 )

Now what we need to find now are the names of the two men on the motorcycles, and perhaps their addresses, wives names and names of their pet dogs, however maybe  a step too far this evening . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You mean after all that magnificent detective work tracking down that pub, you can't solve the problem of the dogs names?  Why they were Fido and Spot!  Elementary.   

Seriously, well done sir!  

Mikie