Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
12 hours ago, mikie said:

Hey, any idea what happened to the view count on threads since the upgrade?  I don't see it anymore.  

Mikie  

Hi Mikie,  here's a couple of things that I would like to return to the new style forum ( which I find now works great and faster otherwise

# 1.  I used to like and enjoy seeing who else was reading this thread as I was posting, with this I could tell if any of the regular contributors to the thread would be making comment and I could stay on-line longer to engage with them.

# 2.  I used to be able to hover my cursor over photographs which allowed me to see by the number of downloads of any photograph which topics fellow members were interested in,  and use that as a lead to what similar photograph or topic to post to my thread.

Hope there might be suggestions for some of this, items #1 & #2  certainly boosted my inter-action and enjoyment of the forum . . . . . . . . . .  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 23  2020

General Apathy
12 hours ago, American Graffiti said:

Hi Ken,

thanks for the update and thankfully it was inert, incredible really what's still to be found.

Glad you're there to document it all,

Cheers

AG

Hi AG, to be honest I have only posted three items, a tip of the ' iceberg ',  there is far more out there being found or given as gifts by householders, especially when clearing houses of people who where around during the war and the tidy up which went on for years afterwards.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 23  2020.

manayunkman

16C677FE-DDA5-4010-823B-8F0193DA2DD3.png.fec29eae659e91738e4c095f27ee4d05.pngPictures of the same wreck from different angles.

Omaha beach with the breakwater in the distance.

AA874C7B-D9E1-4B90-A84E-751700679C5B.png.e3d9054d663f05cfd244f22ed11eee36.png

AA874C7B-D9E1-4B90-A84E-751700679C5B.png

General Apathy
22 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Unbelievable after so many years...

Hi Johan,  Here's another house find that has been gifted to a local collector, he's presently having them de-activated so he can keep and display them,  ( a legal requirement ).  

These came from a village that the 506th ' Filthy Thirteen ' fought for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filthy_Thirteen

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 24  2020.

.IMG_20200522_205854.jpg.1fea585c8dee43943a7cc2e2121b63dd.jpg

General Apathy
19 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

Morning Ken. I think I'm bzk

Hi Robert, I'm not so certain that I pleased that you are ' bzk ', but having you back is good. ;)

This predictive text is a pain, this morning I sent an email to a friend named Peter, it changed his name to ' Pewter '. :lol:

General Apathy
15 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Sorry about the crazy post.

Hi Piet,  don't worry we have all had similar or worse happen over the years . . . . . . :P

1 hour ago, mikie said:

A crazy post around here? What's the world coming to? 

yeah..ypu would think people were locked in their homes or caged up or something and going stir crazy..mad I tell you just mad....

image.png.5047fa16ca905cdcb4bce884d9df115b.png

On 5/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi mikie,  sorry to say you got your veg and your fruits mixed up, its a pineapple . . . . . . . . . . . . . .;)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 22 2020.

Oh, I see that now. I thought it was an ear of corn. 

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  Here's another house find that has been gifted to a local collector, he's presently having them de-activated so he can keep and display them,  ( a legal requirement ).  

These came from a village that the 506th ' Filthy Thirteen ' fought for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filthy_Thirteen

.IMG_20200522_205854.jpg.1fea585c8dee43943a7cc2e2121b63dd.jpg

Simply amazing!

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, mikie said:

In case you have not heard, the SS Jeremiah O'Brien had a close call the other day.  Thank you San Francisco firefighters for saving her from some serious trouble.

https://www.mail.com/news/us/9931218-fire-destroys-warehouse-san-franciscos-fishermans.html#.23140-stage-hero1-3

Mikie

Got this in their newsletter... this wsnt a small fire

FA085E6C-53BC-4440-8EC4-80A288B9F296.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Since it is now clear I will be missing this year's Normandy commemorations, I was scrolling through some old photos and came across this one from my second visit to Normandy... This was taken in Ste Mere Eglise on the road to the municipal camp site back in 1985!!!!...

That little Datsun was my third car.. (first one is the Jeep)...

1985.jpg

General Apathy
On 4/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, The Meatcan said:

Ken, that's a nice amount of work outside you've accomplished lately! Make sure you share some photos with us when that wisteria is blooming!

Terry

Hi Terry,  well the flowers on the Wisteria have all gone but the leaves are all bounding along nicely and the vines heading across the arch I built for it.  So here we see the roses now blooming, this bush flowers abundantly so there should be many more flower heads shortly.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 05 2020.

.fullsizeoutput_539d.jpeg.b68909dc0481c3d7d2de3ebc40757c50.jpegfullsizeoutput_5399.jpeg.efedcf7a21e6053e0b3a0ce0b01cd243.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5399.jpeg.efedcf7a21e6053e0b3a0ce0b01cd243.jpeg

General Apathy
On 5/25/2020 at 8:34 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Got this in their newsletter... this wsnt a small fire

FA085E6C-53BC-4440-8EC4-80A288B9F296.jpeg

Hi Johan,  that's a stunning image with the fire framing the O'Brien from behind, almost a wartime image that we have seen in many films of convoys heading across the Atlantic . . . . . . . . . 

Johan Willaert

Yes, photo is rather special... I wonder of the Pampanito submarine moored just in front of the O'Brien is also undamaged...

Here's a view of both taken in the Summer of 2017... Pier 45 is visible to the left on the vessels..

IMG_6206.JPG

Johan Willaert

USS Pampanito moored just in front of the O'Brien... SF in the background.

Pier 45 which burned down on the right....

USA2009 061.jpg

The Meatcan
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Terry,  well the flowers on the Wisteria have all gone but the leaves are all bounding along nicely and the vines heading across the arch I built for it.  So here we see the roses now blooming, this bush flowers abundantly so there should be many more flower heads shortly.

.fullsizeoutput_539d.jpeg.b68909dc0481c3d7d2de3ebc40757c50.jpegfullsizeoutput_5399.jpeg.efedcf7a21e6053e0b3a0ce0b01cd243.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5399.jpeg.efedcf7a21e6053e0b3a0ce0b01cd243.jpeg

that looks fantastic, Ken. Your hard work is paying off in a beautiful display. Nice job!

Terry

On 5/22/2020 at 3:01 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi mikie,  sorry to say you got your veg and your fruits mixed up, its a pineapple . . . . . . . . . . . . . .;)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 22 2020.

A pineapple!  My wife gave me a pineapple to cut up.  The top was beautifully green and fresh.  So I stuck it in the dirt and 3 years later, it's about 3 times bigger that it was.  It goes through some rough spots like now, but it keeps coming back. It hasn't produced any grenades yet, but I keep hoping.     

Pineapple top.jpg

Speaking of pineapples, if any of you like to eat them, get one of these pineapple coring tools.  Mine works great and it's fun to use.  And yeah, I'm easily amused.

Mikie

Pineapple corer.jpeg

doinworkinvans

We did the same thing with one we ate a few years back and it sprouted as well - and that pineapple tool is pretty neat!  Looks like it saves a lot of time