Norman D. Landing

bilko1

On 5/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, General Apathy said:

What I found on my land this morning . . . . . . . . . 

Well yesterday afternoon a heavy storm front came through, I moved the car to a position that hopefully was away from buildings and trees and this morning I initially thought that everything was ok this morning until I found these felled trees, thankfully missing any buildings so far.  There is still a heavy gale blowing through and I am hoping that it will die down without any further damage. Quite sad at the loss of these trees, I think when I have time I might try and drop the tops of all the trees down lower.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 11 2020 

.IMG_5086.JPG.a6609d44f8a626d5560fbb4e37bb0a47.JPG

Hi Ken, I'm glad to hear you took some precautions but sometimes there's nothing you can do, I'm afraid.

Rene

On 5/11/2020 at 3:03 PM, General Apathy said:

from the Jeep spares shoebox . . . . . . . . 

three Jeep steering wheels, from the left Black resin ' Sheller ' early Willys MB's, centre o.d. resin ' Sheller ' early Ford GPW's, right hand-side standard mid / late war steering wheel. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 11 2020

fullsizeoutput_4fb7.jpeg.d89232fc95dc2edac019f093d1198695.jpeg 

Hi Ken, are there any Jeep parts you don't have in multiples….?

Rene

1 hour ago, mikie said:

I did a little garden digging myself this weekend.  Didn't dig up anything exciting, but enjoyed playing with my implements of destruction.  

Shovel Collection.jpg

That's a nice selection of groundbreaking tools you have there, Mikie. I'm digging it.

Rene

3 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

That's a nice selection of groundbreaking tools you have there, Mikie. I'm digging it.

Rene

Thanks Rene.  But I have to admit that my tiny shoe box isn't as nearly as groundbreaking as of some other folks around here.  

General Apathy
13 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, are there any Jeep parts you don't have in multiples….?

Rene

Hi Rene,  What was the question . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

Second from right Delco-Remy is a re-paint, the one in the middle with the earthing strap is Ford marked with an ' F ' near the red X stencil, 2nd & 6th are Auto-Lite manufacture, the Ford one is identical manufacture design but not marked Auto-Lite. B)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 10 2020

.fullsizeoutput_5194.jpeg.0648ec1208355d062840a5e8380476a2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5195.jpeg.14f4ffa287256c829a631af62b6244ee.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Most Jeep owners I know have multiple examples of the most commonly needed spares....

It pays to have the part in hand when you need it; so you don't have to start searching for it when something breaks down..

Ken, do you think the repainted Delco Remy is WW2 era? I am just about to repaint one to put back on the GPW...
Has performed flawlessly for years...

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Most Jeep owners I know have multiple examples of the most commonly needed spares....

It pays to have the part in hand when you need it; so you don't have to start searching for it when something breaks down..

Ken, do you think the repainted Delco Remy is WW2 era? I am just about to repaint one to put back on the GPW...

Hi Johan, first off you have hit the nail on the head stating that vintage vehicle owners try to have spares in stock ready for any eventuality.

I wouldn't guarantee you that the re-painted Delco-Remy is a WWII example being 6 volt maybe just post-war, however it's American made , it's 6 volt, and it was cheap at the time I spotted it, and ideal for having in stock. When you buy a used or even new old stock one at a show there is no way of knowing if they work,  an owner will only find that out after fitting them, so maybe safety in numbers . . . . . . . . . . 

For many years 6 volt coils, lights and such were difficult to find as cars upgraded to 12 & 24 volts, I am not too familiar with modern cars but most don't use a coil like this style any longer, I know my Volvo has an individual coil-pack for each of the five plugs.

But maybe the death of the Jeep will eventually be from the lack of petrol and not lack of spares. Good luck with the rebuild and we look forward to seeing photos . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 13 2020

Johan Willaert

Thx, Ken...

I'm keeping some parts that might be post WW2 but are still functional on the Jeep engine....
I prefer an Original US made part, to any modern day repro any day of the week...

Originality is great, but at the end of the day, it has to run and be at least a bit reliable...

Attached photo of my June 1943 dated GPW marked 6Volt generator... Still running great after so many years...
Sadly the Ford applied blue paint on the dataplate has worn off...
And a mint unused Autolite 6V Regulator, still in the box...

96231746_272865960421311_2523206300427354112_n.jpg

96246927_641415969771630_4655576083066781696_n.jpg

Johan Willaert

Jeepin' in Normandy....

First time I took my GPW to Normandy was way back in 1984... Took this photo of my late dad driving theJeep below one of the region's landmarks...
Can you guess where???

1984.jpg

General Apathy
28 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Jeepin' in Normandy....

First time I took my GPW to Normandy was way back in 1984... Took this photo of my late dad driving theJeep below one of the region's landmarks...
Can you guess where???

1984.jpg

Hi Johan,  Monty's headquarters Cruelly . . . . . . . . . which did I win the generator or the regulator, I don't have a preference either will do. 

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  Monty's headquarters Cruelly . . . . . . . . . which did I win the generator or the regulator, I don't have a preference either will do. 

Damn, you just beat me to winning my first Jeep part......…………..not that it would be of any use to me ?

Rene

Johan Willaert

Well, you have a choice between this GPW starting motor which could use a rebuild or the NOS Autolite which has spent 2500 miles in the Jeep... ?

8BCB0E72-BB82-4148-A3BC-AA3698FA32D5.jpeg

Johan Willaert
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:38 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Ken's bicycle is a 1940s era Westfield Columbia Compax Traveller or Paratrooper....

A Westfield Brochure about the Compax from the immediate post WW2 era...
They were available in light and heavy versions (l & H)

17.jpg

General Apathy
On 5/13/2020 at 10:55 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Johan,  I went back into the spares boxes and found the wrapper for that Delco Remy coil,  it is a genuine G503 ( Jeep ) part however the date packed was 1951. It's easy to see why it was given a re-paint when you look how dirty and battered the wrapper looks. 

So it's genuine Jeep part, American made, 6 Volt, cheap just dated 1951 . . . . . . . works for me if I needed to use it to keep them rolling. ! 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 15 2020

.fullsizeoutput_5201.jpeg.be6d4c637b84c0959fd4b33d0c118a8f.jpeg

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  I went back into the spares boxes and found the wrapper for that Delco Remy coil,  it is a genuine G503 ( Jeep ) part however the date packed was 1951. It's easy to see why it was given a re-paint when you look how dirty and battered the wrapper looks. 

So it's genuine Jeep part, American made, 6 Volt, cheap just dated 1951 . . . . . . . works for me if I needed to use it to keep them rolling. ! 

Thx Ken, I've downloaded and saved the photo of the wrapper in case the jeep Police drops by... ;-)

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Thx Ken, I've downloaded and saved the photo of the wrapper in case the jeep Police drops by... ;-)

Hi Johan,  something else for the Jeep-Police to try and date when they see one in use in a jeep are these ruby stop and tail-lights, the packaging is dated 1953 however the lamp unit itself is undated but it keeps the vehicle road-worthy and legal . . . . . . . . .

Back when I first got my Jeep these lamp units were unavailable and not to be found, we used to spend weekends touring farming country and look for abandoned Jeeps in farm wars and fields to get spares off them or the whole remains of the Jeep and salvage what we could.  

As the bulb is actually soldered into what is in effect a sealed light unit when one blew we used to have to un-crimp the glass lens to remove it, heat the bulb to melt the solder, solder a new bulb in place and replace the glass and re-crimp or solder the surround in place again. 

So when I saw stuff for sale like this carton of twenty tail lights well I bought them in the wink of an eye. 

.fullsizeoutput_5210.jpeg.ffad6764b7785dbc76459caa48888121.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5211.jpeg.74be583db6a33f3b1e076c690240cd64.jpeg

General Apathy
On 5/13/2020 at 5:00 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Well, you have a choice between this GPW starting motor which could use a rebuild or the NOS Autolite which has spent 2500 miles in the Jeep... ?

8BCB0E72-BB82-4148-A3BC-AA3698FA32D5.jpeg

Hi Johan,  some years ago I bought myself a boxed starter motor, as you can see it's a G503 ( Jeep ) starter, the outer was in fairly poor water stained and damaged condition, inside this was a second carton covered in cosmoline wax, so fingers crossed I bought it.:huh:

.fullsizeoutput_4fbc.jpeg.48e93a31deab252357152830af4bbe16.jpeg

IMG_5023.JPG.7eac28ee1269672d78fe82ff519e5098.JPG

Johan Willaert

Great box, it holds an Autolite Starter Motor, as the model MZ4113 indicates that model typically used on the Willys MB

Boxes were fairly fragile as the box my NOS Autolite starter came in nearly fell apart.’.

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Great box, it holds an Autolite Starter Motor, as the model MZ4113 indicates that model typically used on the Willys MB

Boxes were fairly fragile as the box my NOS Autolite starter came in nearly fell apart.’.

Hi Johan,  after posting the starter carton and the cosmoline wrap photos I tried to post the photo of the motor and the inner carton, however the post and photo didn't load to the forum so here we are again.

.fullsizeoutput_4fb2.jpeg.471f684a442a7cd07b35a28ecdbf4a0e.jpeg 

Quite a nice lesson on spare Jeep doodads and how they were packaged. Sorry I have no input, no Jeep, no spares, so just posting to show encouragement and interest.

Mikie

General Apathy
6 hours ago, mikie said:

Quite a nice lesson on spare Jeep doodads and how they were packaged. Sorry I have no input, no Jeep, no spares, so just posting to show encouragement and interest.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, yes it appears to have developed into a bit of a Jeep-Fest mainly due to being unable to get out and about looking for Then & Now shots.

But here's something completely different and relevant in todays virus infected world the following post will explain that connection. So this is a library copy of a 1939 edition of National Geographic, it has been hard-bound for loaning out to the public. 

Due to virus lockdown I have been sorting through various cupboards, shelves and such in the house tidying, throwing out, giving away or deciding to keep. This was a book that I inherited from a friend who died in 2008, although I have looked at it scantly in the past I flipped through it a few days ago and discovered the library connection in the opening pages. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 16 2020 

.fullsizeoutput_5216.jpeg.58b4428c5ad2416c5903c33576a22d27.jpeg

General Apathy

March 1939 National Geographic library book

So here's how this copy is relevant in todays virus infected world, as it mentions that all returned library books that have been in contact with any virus households that that fact must be reported to the council sanitary officer on returning the book. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 16 2020

.fullsizeoutput_521c.jpeg.ab55cb30079b3cae6df64946186aef1f.jpeg