Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Work carried out during this virus lockdown . . . . . . . . . 

I took the opportunity of cleaning out, tidying and assembling various gardening and garage tools during this past few weeks confinement to home, one thing I dragged out of the dark of this particular shoebox was my industrial sewing machine, it's been fifteen years since I last used it. My neighbour asked me if I would repair a rip in his garage jeans to stop sparks burning his skin during grinding and welding. He gave me a small torn piece of WWII American vehicle canvas to make the repair, I asked did he want it on the inside or outside, he replied it didn't matter so put it on the outside to cover the frayed rip. 

So here is that repair, I started off with a small thin patch on the inside so his toes wouldn't keep getting caught in the frayed rip, I then put the canvas on the outside and adorned it with an invasion star and circle :lol:. There was a technical reason as well for adding the star and circle it trapped the frayed strands inside and prevents a ball of these strands gathering while laundering. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 10 2020 

.fullsizeoutput_510f.jpeg.576455f1a6b58adfd469548a1b1d5051.jpeg

American Graffiti

Darn it Ken! Thats a great idea for a patch ?

Industrial sewing machines are handy things to have around, and Happy belated VE Day

AG

General Apathy
1 hour ago, American Graffiti said:

Darn it Ken! Thats a great idea for a patch ?

Industrial sewing machines are handy things to have around, and Happy belated VE Day

AG

Hi AG,  thanks for the VE greetings, I had abandoned the sewing machine for far too long, there have been many times over the last years that I really could have used it, and it took this darn virus lock-down to encourage me to pull it out.

here's my machine and the inside patch I added to save Tony hurting his toes.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 10 2020 ( Happy Birthday today forum member Lt.Frank )

.IMG_5045.JPG.9b1590aa430254c16754e357f5cb434b.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_5123.jpeg.6550768af2ab42647a703f212523267f.jpeg

General Apathy

Friends gardening yesterday . . . . . . . . . . 

Friends were tending their garden yesterday and this is the crop they dug up . . . . . . . 

.IMG_20200510_115258_resized_20200510_115347339.jpeg.39f87bd9e5975570c476a676867a1afa.jpeg

American Graffiti

Hi ken, I too have been using my sewing machine in lockdown, making the most of the time.

Strange fruit growing in Normandy gardens it seems, is that part of a Thompson? Thought it was a Luger at first hard to tell

I wonder too if you know if D-Day plans will be cancelled this year? Will be a shame but it seems everything is 'off'!

AG

General Apathy
13 minutes ago, American Graffiti said:

Hi ken, I too have been using my sewing machine in lockdown, making the most of the time.

Strange fruit growing in Normandy gardens it seems, is that part of a Thompson? Thought it was a Luger at first hard to tell

I wonder too if you know if D-Day plans will be cancelled this year? Will be a shame but it seems everything is 'off'!

AG

Hi AG, the find is an American Garand rifle  . . . . . . . . . . 

Funny that you too should have a sewing machine, would that be part of your work-life. 

Sorry to say I believe EVERYTHING is cancelled this year unless anything greatly changes . . . . . . .  2020 the year that never was !!

.fullsizeoutput_512c.jpeg.1d2fe5e042d750b4b18158cd7e4e0cee.jpeg

American Graffiti

OK Garand now I see it, hard to tell without its wooden furniture. Not work related but I enjoy using the machine, making and repairing stuff.

Its funny '2020 the year that never was' The Man That Never Was was on TV over here 2 days ago.

Keep tinkering on with your projects, its great just watching, love the wysteria as well by the way, and hopefully one day soon we'll all be able to return to some kind of normality.

All the best, AG

General Apathy
On 5/3/2020 at 7:16 PM, manayunkman said:

I wish I still had my old photos of the junk yard at Trun.

I took pictures in 1974 and 1982.

In the 8 years between the two visits scavengers had decimated the supply.

I also had pictures of Alain Roudiex and his collection.

Excellent video Ron.

Hi Pieter,  places like the one you mentioned built up because of all the FREE metal and vehicles that abounded at wars end, here's a photograph from June 6 1945 copy of Picture Post, as it states it was there for dragging away by anyone who wanted it ??? There was one man that did collect and gather all this around the Falaise gap area and later opened a museum, this museum is now situated near the Omaha beach cemetery and now called the ' Overlord Museum '. 

.fullsizeoutput_513c.jpeg.e8bdbb1da5823a2fa1b77f1e10736027.jpeg

manayunkman

Ken,

Thank you for using my Dutch name.

My opa always called me Piet.

Legally it’s Jan Pieter.

Great photo of that PAK 75 that was still holding on to it’s beautiful camouflage scheme.

The last time I was in Normandy (1982) I went to the museum in Bayeux and I’m pretty sure many of the items there were battlefield pick ups.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the guys and gals.

Simon Lerenfort

The M1 relic appears to show evidence as to why it was discarded, nice find and a candidate for restoration and display.

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Simon Lerenfort said:

The M1 relic appears to show evidence as to why it was discarded, nice find and a candidate for restoration and display.

Hi Simon,  the friends are now hoping for more evidence of battle finds on their land.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 11 2020

General Apathy

What I found on my land this morning . . . . . . . . . 

Well yesterday afternoon a heavy storm front came through, I moved the car to a position that hopefully was away from buildings and trees and this morning I initially thought that everything was ok this morning until I found these felled trees, thankfully missing any buildings so far.  There is still a heavy gale blowing through and I am hoping that it will die down without any further damage. Quite sad at the loss of these trees, I think when I have time I might try and drop the tops of all the trees down lower.  

.IMG_5086.JPG.a6609d44f8a626d5560fbb4e37bb0a47.JPG

General Apathy

Having a little fun with Jeep grilles . . . . . . . . .

Driving back from town last Thursday I spotted this road barrier at the side of the road, I thought it would be fun to lean it against the front of the Volvo and make it look like a Jeep style grille.  Sadly there where other road diversion signs attached to the other side of the road barrier so I couldn't do it. Make every day a fun day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

.IMG_5056.JPG.ab31e093e536c5aff2c5deeec62a9933.JPG

.721963527_Jeeptruck.jpeg.20c99c17d161735626c643f0aa9d4e1e.jpeg 

General Apathy
17 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Terrible news about the tree but glad it didn’t do any damage.

Thanks Piet,  hope thats the only trees to fall, still very windy here and with the trees all blooming it adds great resistance to the winds.

General Apathy

from the Jeep spares shoebox . . . . . . . . 

three Jeep steering wheels, from the left Black resin ' Sheller ' early Willys MB's, centre o.d. resin ' Sheller ' early Ford GPW's, right hand-side standard mid / late war steering wheel. 

fullsizeoutput_4fb7.jpeg.d89232fc95dc2edac019f093d1198695.jpeg 

Simon Lerenfort
7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Simon,  the friends are now hoping for more evidence of battle finds on their land.

There will be more to find, hope they excercise caution.

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

from the Jeep spares shoebox . . . . . . . . 

three Jeep steering wheels, from the left Black resin ' Sheller ' early Willys MB's, centre o.d. resin ' Sheller ' early Ford GPW's, right hand-side standard mid / late war steering wheel. 

fullsizeoutput_4fb7.jpeg.d89232fc95dc2edac019f093d1198695.jpeg 

My new thing learned today...Jeeps had resin steering wheels.  

Mikie

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

What I found on my land this morning . . . . . . . . . 

Well yesterday afternoon a heavy storm front came through, I moved the car to a position that hopefully was away from buildings and trees and this morning I initially thought that everything was ok this morning until I found these felled trees, thankfully missing any buildings so far.  There is still a heavy gale blowing through and I am hoping that it will die down without any further damage. Quite sad at the loss of these trees, I think when I have time I might try and drop the tops of all the trees down lower.  

.IMG_5086.JPG.a6609d44f8a626d5560fbb4e37bb0a47.JPG

Oh NO!  

On 5/10/2020 at 7:42 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Pieter,  places like the one you mentioned built up because of all the FREE metal and vehicles that abounded at wars end, here's a photograph from June 6 1945 copy of Picture Post, as it states it was there for dragging away by anyone who wanted it ??? There was one man that did collect and gather all this around the Falaise gap area and later opened a museum, this museum is now situated near the Omaha beach cemetery and now called the ' Overlord Museum '. 

.fullsizeoutput_513c.jpeg.e8bdbb1da5823a2fa1b77f1e10736027.jpeg

I would have taken it, even if I had to pull it by hand.  But then getting it across the Atlantic that way wouldn't work too well.  

We visited West Point July 4, 1976 to celebrate the US Bi-Centennial.  As part of a Park Service restoration program, there were hundreds of Civil War cannon barrels laying all over the place.  The cadets were making repro carriages for them.  I begged my dad to try to sneak one into the back of our station wagon.  But for some silly reason didn't think it was a good idea.  

Mikie

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Having a little fun with Jeep grilles . . . . . . . . .

Driving back from town last Thursday I spotted this road barrier at the side of the road, I thought it would be fun to lean it against the front of the Volvo and make it look like a Jeep style grille.  Sadly there where other road diversion signs attached to the other side of the road barrier so I couldn't do it. Make every day a fun day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

.IMG_5056.JPG.ab31e093e536c5aff2c5deeec62a9933.JPG

.721963527_Jeeptruck.jpeg.20c99c17d161735626c643f0aa9d4e1e.jpeg 

I hate it when reality spoils a perfectly good joke.

Mikie

On 5/10/2020 at 3:47 AM, General Apathy said:

Friends gardening yesterday . . . . . . . . . . 

Friends were tending their garden yesterday and this is the crop they dug up . . . . . . . 

.IMG_20200510_115258_resized_20200510_115347339.jpeg.39f87bd9e5975570c476a676867a1afa.jpeg

Interesting crop for sure.  Curious that one piece is covered in rust but the other has hardly any.  

Mikie

General Apathy
9 hours ago, mikie said:

Interesting crop for sure.  Curious that one piece is covered in rust but the other has hardly any.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  the gas cylinder you are referring to is made of non-ferrus steel, note that the metal sights top left have rusted and at the far right the operating rod ( a gas operated piston that ejects and re-cocks rifle ) inside the cylinder has rusted as well. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 12 2020

.fullsizeoutput_5179.jpeg.b3b7ee14e5f73bddab6b155c808d3c2b.jpeg

I did a little garden digging myself this weekend.  Didn't dig up anything exciting, but enjoyed playing with my implements of destruction.  

Shovel Collection.jpg