Norman D. Landing

bilko1

cutiger83
5 minutes ago, mikie said:

From a historical perspective, it is great that you documented what I am guessing was the original factory packaging.  Most people probably don't care how things were packed up and shipped out,  but to me it's all part of the story.

Mikie  

Ken,

I agree with Mikie. Your knowledge and shoebox is unequal!  I love these jeep trivia posts.

...Kat

General Apathy
45 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Johan,

Our factories were not being bombed. We did not have to keep starting over from scratch. That is one of the main reasons why we were able to produce on such a large scale.

Kat

Hi Kat,  thanks for joining in again, and a very relevant comment. Here's another aspect of the war production, the volume of food consumed by the military, the figures below have to multiplied by millions of pounds . . . . . . . just let these figure sink in.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 03 2020 

.fullsizeoutput_5038.jpeg.c36e1cb2e1c4ea33655801e374f13555.jpeg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Just to illustrate how far the marking of their parts went in the Ford jeep factory...

this is the steering tube to body dash  clamp with its attaching hardware... ALL parts have the typical F mark....

7BCFF92A-A8DD-486D-8094-62B0C9CE0F28.jpeg

Hi Johan,  nice examples of ' F ' marked pieces again . . . . . . . . . we love these marked parts don't we.  :love:

Here's another ' F ' marked piece I pulled out the Jeep spares shoebox this week, an early Ford push-fit cap dipstick and tube, the tube is unpainted instead it is corrosion protect with a japanned black surface and smothered in soft Cosmolin grease, the ' F ' stamp is midway on the dipstick.  :D 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 04 2020 

.fullsizeoutput_4ff0.jpeg.9ed7d5c1ce6af0bebde328b8a760c98a.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_4ff3.jpeg.b7ad0fcc4eae761cbd54e26968047032.jpeg

cutiger83
4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  nice examples of ' F ' marked pieces again . . . . . . . . . we love these marked parts don't we.  :love:

Here's another ' F ' marked piece I pulled out the Jeep spares shoebox this week, an early Ford push-fit cap dipstick and tube, the tube is unpainted instead it is corrosion protect with a japanned black surface and smothered in soft Cosmolin grease, the ' F ' stamp is midway on the dipstick.  :D 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 04 2020 

.fullsizeoutput_4ff0.jpeg.9ed7d5c1ce6af0bebde328b8a760c98a.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_4ff3.jpeg.b7ad0fcc4eae761cbd54e26968047032.jpeg

Wow! I had no idea so many different parts were marked with an "F". This is so interesting. I love this thread and the little tidbits of knowledge!

..Kat

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  thanks for joining in again, and a very relevant comment. Here's another aspect of the war production, the volume of food consumed by the military, the figures below have to multiplied by millions of pounds . . . . . . . just let these figure sink in.  

.fullsizeoutput_5038.jpeg.c36e1cb2e1c4ea33655801e374f13555.jpeg

Wow! Those numbers are enormous! I'd like to try putting a dent in that pile of bacon! 

General Apathy

And now for something completely different . . . . . . . . 

A shot taken on one of our military vehicle winter trips to the Ardennes around 1984, IUTA was a side branch of the regular Military Vehicle Conservation Group, it was a party group of International members on the same trips, British, French, Belgians, Dutch, German and Americans.  The party group IUTA stood for International Understanding Through Alcohol . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 05 2020 

.fullsizeoutput_5094.jpeg.c0223ca8b60d7123554ac312c47d466f.jpeg

Johan Willaert

The winter of 1984-1985 was extremely cold in the Ardennes....
I went thru NCO Infantry Squad Leader Course in Arlon, about 25mls from Bastogne,  that winter and spent nights outside at -25° C....

Johan Willaert

The winter of 1984-1985 was extremely cold in the Ardennes....
I went thru NCO Infantry Squad Leader Course in Arlon, about 25mls from Bastogne,  that winter and spent nights outside at -25° C....

Just came across this photo.... Showing Infantry Squad Leader Course, class of 1985... I was 19 and as fit as a fiddle at the time...

Pick me out, Ken!

21KBOO-Arlon-1985.jpg

Today, May 5th, it is 75 years ago the Germans surrendered in Holland. What normally would have been a very festive day has been turned into a rather quiet day by the virus. But it is what it is.

SAM_7037.jpg.29bb66031cfeaf764a322e1db922cd04.jpg

And to keep the Jeep tradition of this thread going…….

720917848_Schermopname(1568).png.4828e3ca3a2d34f0e29daaa124cdd1fc.png

Rene

14 hours ago, mikie said:

Wow! Those numbers are enormous! I'd like to try putting a dent in that pile of bacon! 

If you need some help...………….?

Rene

General Apathy

Just came across this photo.... Showing Infantry Squad Leader Course, class of 1985... I was 19 and as fit as a fiddle at the time...

Pick me out, Ken!

21KBOO-Arlon-1985.jpg

Hi Johan, easy extreme right over the rear of the steps with your back to the camera . . . . . . . . . . 

Second-left rear row . . . . . . . . . 

29 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan, easy extreme right over the rear of the steps with your back to the camera . . . . . . . . . . 

Ha!

31 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Today, May 5th, it is 75 years ago the Germans surrendered in Holland. What normally would have been a very festive day has been turned into a rather quiet day by the virus. But it is what it is.

Rene

That's interesting, Rene. Best wishes to you all there on 75 years of freedom.  What kind of festivities would you have?  Parades? Parties?  Consuming large quantities of 75+ year old bacon?   

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

And now for something completely different . . . . . . . . 

A shot taken on one of our military vehicle winter trips to the Ardennes around 1984, IUTA was a side branch of the regular Military Vehicle Conservation Group, it was a party group of International members on the same trips, British, French, Belgians, Dutch, German and Americans.  The party group IUTA stood for International Understanding Through Alcohol . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_5094.jpeg.c0223ca8b60d7123554ac312c47d466f.jpeg

In my foolish youth ice fishing on Oneida Lake with my dad, we would often meet up with Dad's Polish-American buddies.  They always had a thermos filled with "Polack" tea to keep warm.  Not sure what it was, but just a sip would knock my socks off.  -20 Degrees out?  No problem! By the way, that term was perfectly acceptable to be used among themselves, but NOT to be taken lightly if used by outsiders.  Dad took great pride in the fact that he was the only Italian-American member of the Utica Polish League of American Veterans hunting and fishing club.   

manayunkman

I like the guy with his Bols Jenever in the cartoon Jeep. My opas favorite.

In Dutch there is a rhyme but I don’t know how to spell it.

Fifth of May Holland is free.

My father was in hiding near Os in the south of Holland and was liberated by the 101st A/B September 17, 1944.

The family lived in The Hague further north. They were liberated by Canadian and Polish troops on the 5th.

My opa was in a Nazi camp in Amersfoort. He had been turned in by his older Nazi brother for trading art for food on the black market. He was also liberated on the 5th by Canadians.
Opas younger brother had married a Jewish woman, my aunt Lily. Opa and uncle Dirk spent the late 30s organizing a way to get Lily’s family out of Holland and after occupation they continued their efforts. They never got caught despite the older estranged Nazi brother. To this day I don’t know the name of this brother nor have I tried to find out.

My opa died in 1988 he was 95.

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Second-left rear row . . . . . . . . . 

Ha, photo taken back in the day when you had to wait at least a week for development and only then did you know if the photo was OK... or did you find out someone casually passed by in the barracks... LOL...

But yes, you found me!!!!

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

That's interesting, Rene. Best wishes to you all there on 75 years of freedom.  What kind of festivities would you have?  Parades? Parties?  Consuming large quantities of 75+ year old bacon?   

2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Hi Rene,  well following your lead I just happen to have to hand a bottle of Bols, a wooden and bean-can Jeep my uncle made during WWII and a commemoration banner for a military vehicle tour to Eindhoven August 1986.

So best wishes to yourself and your fellow Countryman Manayunkman  . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_50b0.jpeg.4b885817779b7c0633ab30942c7fd4dc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_50b0.jpeg

Johan Willaert

In the Military group photo above we are all wearing the Belgian Fourragere on our right shoulder...
It is similar to the fourragere that was awarded to so many US Army units that fought in Belgium in 1944-45...

It was awarded to units both Belgian and foreign that was cited twice or more in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Armed Forces.

The Belgian fourragère is in the same colors as the ribbon of the World War II Belgian Croix de Guerre and is more or less the unit version of that award.

General Apathy
10 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Ha, photo taken back in the day when you had to wait at least a week for development and only then did you know if the photo was OK... or did you find out someone casually passed by in the barracks... LOL...

But yes, you found me!!!!

hahhaaaa Johan your face gave you away . . . . . . . . . . . B)

another hahaaaaaa, yes you're right back in the day before digital cameras I paid a professional photographer to take a thousand images of items in my collection, it was always two weeks before I saw the results by which time I had put everything back in the shoebox, and had to dig many pieces back out again to be re-shot once I saw the results . . . . . . . . :dry:

manayunkman

That Jenever tastes like rubbing alcohol.

My opa would turn the bottle upside down with a shot glass underneath and set it up in a corner to make sure he got the last drop.

An old habit that had continued since the war.

cutiger83
3 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Rene, 

I hope you have a great day even though it will be a much quieter day than usual. Great picture of the jeep.

...Kat

cutiger83
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,  well following your lead I just happen to have to hand a bottle of Bols, a wooden and bean-can Jeep my uncle made during WWII and a commemoration banner for a military vehicle tour to Eindhoven August 1986.

So best wishes to yourself and your fellow Countryman Manayunkman  . . . . . . .

Ken,

Great jeep! What is it made out of? Looks like the love of jeeps runs in your family!

...Kat

Ken 

Thanks for posting the NOS cylinder head.

I recall being around my dad and his buddies when working on their hot rods when I was a little boy.Dad also spoke of "fogging" the cylinders if a motor was pulled out or going to sit for a period of time(stored).He also use to use a grease or lubriplate on the spark plug threads and use old plugs to seal the holes.

General Apathy
11 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

Great jeep! What is it made out of? Looks like the love of jeeps runs in your family!

...Kat

Hi Kat, there a bit more to the story of the wooden Jeep, my uncle Jack and his service friend Ken were stationed in Belgium 1940 as part of the BEF units to deter Hitler from invading Belgium, Holland or France, however the overwhelming force and tanks that the Germans had forced the BEF infantry units without tanks to fight a retreat to Dunkirk.  Uncle Jack and Ken became separated and Jack got out and Ken was captured and spent over four years as a POW in Germany.  To occupy time over those years he became adapt at making models out of any materials they could salvage, I am not certain when he made the Jeep model but he made it on the basis of what he had learnt in the prison camp, odd pieces of wood and flattened out tin cans etc.  

It's a pity that this question didn't arise just a couple of days ago while I was having a clean out of the property during this virus lock-down, I found and packed away again a plywood pin-ball game that Ken made after he returned from POW camp, I wish I had photographed it to show you.  Again it was made from surplus and salvaged pieces he scavenged,  a large spring and pull-back striker to fire ball-bearings up and around the board and hitting nails and other pieces of metal bouncing the ball around the game just like electric operated pin-ball machines in amusement arcades., it was initially made for my brother who's ten years older than myself, and then it became mine. 

Ken became our uncle through marrying Uncle Jack and my fathers sister when he returned home after the war. 

General Apathy
8 hours ago, doyler said:

Ken 

Thanks for posting the NOS cylinder head.

I recall being around my dad and his buddies when working on their hot rods when I was a little boy. Dad also spoke of "fogging" the cylinders if a motor was pulled out or going to sit for a period of time(stored). He also used to use a grease or lubriplate on the spark plug threads and use old plugs to seal the holes.

Hi Ron,  thanks for letting us know that your father also greased speak-plug threads and screwed in old spark-plugs to protect the threads.  A few weeks back a friend here and myself were due to meet up on Sunday morning with our Jeeps for a coffee. However Mike called me and said that he couldn't operate the gears, I drove over there and his clutch plate and become stuck to the flywheel surface due to damp and standing. I got the clutch free again and said to Mike that some old time vehicle owners used wedge a piece of wood between the clutch pedal and the dash to keep the clutch plate free whilst standing for periods of time.  

A trick I do whenever I park up the Jeep in the garage is just as I switch off I pull the choke lever out fully, it helps slightly by preventing some evaporation of fuel in the carburettor and keeping moisture out of the manifolds of these old machines . . . . . . . . . and prior to starting the Jeep again I kick-down the accelerator a couple of times to squirt fuel into the manifold ready for cold starting.