Norman D. Landing

bilko1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, General Apathy said:

Then & Now Paris 2020 . . . . . . . . . .

Similar comparison of what the three 90th guys saw in April 1945, shot taken this week 2020.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2020

.post-344-0-47750300-1587318700_thumb.jpeg

That windmill structure is pretty cool in the middle of all that urbanized architecture. Glad it survived intact!  

On 4/26/2020 at 11:46 PM, Dogsbody said:

And we are back...……………...

To celebrate a Then and Now from Maastricht 1944 ?

Heidenstraat-1944.jpg.a50677ec1e963db7d3767d8bcdc41410.jpg600870906_DSC_6409aa(2)a.jpg.9f1e53790a83a8a373f470c54e5403e7.jpg

Rene

In war movies, things like that spire hide a sniper and it usually gets blown up.  Again, glad it survived.  

Mikie

Johan Willaert

In these lockdown times I continue to work on the Jeep and today's work was mounting dataplates to a spare glove box lid.
Dataplates4U in the Netherlands does excellent work reproducing exact plates for your restoration.
It allows to use plates in similar condition as the rest of the restored vehicle while you can keep the Original ones safe at home without the fear of them being stolen...
And still able to attach the original glove box door should I want to...

These little jobs are nice to do at home since we can not continue in the workshop now...

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Johan Willaert

From a HD Facebook Group...

Mr Peter GRAY, founder of the British Military Vehicle Conservation ( or was it Conversation ;-) ) Group on his Harley WLA in the 1970s...
Maybe Ken remembers the occasion?? Seeing Dutch DAF trucks on the right, it may indicate a tour in the Netherlands...

95439664_1544102312429372_2179174635424186368_o.jpg

Johan Willaert
25 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Mr Peter GRAY, founder of the British Military Vehicle Conservation ( or was it Conversation ;-) ) Group on his Harley WLA in the 1970s...

Just noticed , it is a WLC, not a WLA..

Among the many items my Dad sent back home from the Pacific was a Japanese commando folding bicycle that he picked up on Saipan, if I remember correctly.  Unfortunately, it was one of the many items he sent back home that never got there.  From the number of times he mentioned it, I think that was the thing that never got back that he was most pissed about the most.  He would growl about some no good slacker stateside mail clerk stealing all his stuff.   

Mikie

manayunkman

Great pictures Rene.

Mikie in the Netherlands they call those old church spires “salt shakers” because they resemble the Dutch sterling salt shakers.

B75117E2-C9C8-4802-99F3-56359563E85A.jpeg

General Apathy
On 4/27/2020 at 12:11 PM, Dogsbody said:

Is it me or have we lost our view count……….

Rene

Hi Rene,  what I find has gone missing since the upgrade is the ability to hold my cursor above a photograph and see how many downloads it achieved, with this facility I could try and see what topics interested people on the thread . . . . . . . . . . ????

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 01 2020

General Apathy
On 4/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, The Meatcan said:

Ken, that's a nice amount of work outside you've accomplished lately! Make sure you share some photos with us when that wisteria is blooming!

Terry

Hi Terry,  well here is the Wisteria in full bloom, sadly all this will be gone when the large rose bush to the left of the Wisteria comes into bloom, so we won't see the two together. Pleased to see that the Wisteria is already heading across the arch I built, next years flowering should be spectacular hanging from the arch. :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_4fba.jpeg.9d07a73f5f77169e086f656c60c26faf.jpeg

General Apathy
On 4/27/2020 at 8:36 PM, cutiger83 said:

Rene,

great then and now picture! Thanks for posting!

Ken,

Great bicycle! I love it! I am sure they are very rare. Correct?

...Kat

Hi Kat,  apologies I have been missing a few days and not on-line to answer your question, thankfully I think Johan has covered it for me by giving you the link to his bicycle website. 

General Apathy
On 4/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, Johan Willaert said:

In these lockdown times I continue to work on the Jeep and today's work was mounting dataplates to a spare glove box lid.
Dataplates4U in the Netherlands does excellent work reproducing exact plates for your restoration.
It allows to use plates in similar condition as the rest of the restored vehicle while you can keep the Original ones safe at home without the fear of them being stolen...
And still able to attach the original glove box door should I want to...

These little jobs are nice to do at home since we can not continue in the workshop now...

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Hi Johan, That looks a nice shade of o.d. you have used, nice to see that the progress is carrying on even in this isolation lock-down . . . . . look forward to seeing it on the road when it's possible :D,  may not be this year though sadly. 

Thanks virus, that's a year of our lives we won't get back.:dry:

General Apathy
On 4/28/2020 at 8:33 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Maybe Ken remembers the occasion?? Seeing Dutch DAF trucks on the right, it may indicate a tour in the Netherlands...

.Hi Johan, yes that's Peter, he regularly gave stunt shows on his Harley, sometimes standing on the saddle with arms outstretched. Post war he did wall of death shows at fairs using a ' Harley ', he also was a motorcycle rider on the French Tour de France cycling events, he used to be ahead of the riders with a camera operator on the rear facing backwards taking images of the riders.  

Enjoy the video clip, it doesn't have anything to do with this post other than it has cyclists in the clip . . . . . .:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPUe80oBZw

On 4/27/2020 at 9:56 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,  well that Dutch guy looks really happy that he still owns a bicycle, wonder where he hid it before the liberation, he must have felt like a king when most people had had theirs commandeered  and were now pedestrians. Great shot thanks little changed.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 27 2020.  ( today would have been my mothers birthday ) 

Hi Ken, whilst still on the subject of bicycles here's a screenshot of some Dutch citizens getting reunited with a (not necessarily their former) bike again. The place is Nijmegen (you can see the Waal bridge in the background.

2083726294_Schermopname(1433).png.610e02b1d551e13c9868edc8d0abbde8.png

Johan Willaert
3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan, That looks a nice shade of o.d. you have used, nice to see that the progress is carrying on even in this isolation lock-down . . . . .

Thx Ken, I've been using that absolutely flat OD shade for all of my projects since 1994... It is extremely close to the Original finish and tarnishes and scratches just as easy...
I love the way it ages...

Picture below shows my harley WLA, same paint, except that all lights and horn are Original finish... you can see how close it matches but also the hues on the Original paint...

PaintFinish.jpg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, whilst still on the subject of bicycles here's a screenshot of some Dutch citizens getting reunited with a (not necessarily their former) bike again. The place is Nijmegen (you can see the Waal bridge in the background.

H Rene, nice photograph , I am looking at the photo and thinking I would take the cycle over the rear with what I think appears to be a German leather map-case attached to the handlebars . . . . . . 

5 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

That is an awesome shot!

OK, here is my paint matching story...

This Adrian was the very first piece of militaria I ever bought, round about 1972.  Found it at a gun show for $1.00 when I was about 14 years old. It was rusty and beat up, so Dad sandblasted it.  Of course there was no internet, so I went to the library and looked in every book I could find to determine what color to paint it.  I found a can of paint at the store that was kind of close to pictures in books. But I had no idea if it was accurate or not.  Jump ahead 25 years or so to the mid 1990's when I finally found a badge for the helmet.   Much to my surprise and delight, when I got it home, the badge color matched almost exactly the color I had painted the helmet way back when!   

Mikie

Adrian Front.jpg

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Terry,  well here is the Wisteria in full bloom, sadly all this will be gone when the large rose bush to the left of the Wisteria comes into bloom, so we won't see the two together. Pleased to see that the Wisteria is already heading across the arch I built, next years flowering should be spectacular hanging from the arch. :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_4fba.jpeg.9d07a73f5f77169e086f656c60c26faf.jpeg

Beautiful!

7 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

That is a great photo!

Johan Willaert

From the 'shoebox' ;-)

A photo of me driving my GPW Jeep back in late 1985...
The Jeep was actually my first car at age 17 in 1983...

Being restored for the third time now...

OK, please no jokes about the haircut... I was in Commando school then, and at least I still had hair at the time... ;-)

GPW-Bos-Brussel-Okt1985.jpg

General Apathy
On 4/28/2020 at 8:33 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Johan, I mentioned that Peter worked with motorcycles in the 50's / 60's, he did display riding for the Cinzano drinks company and each year covered the Tour de France bicycle events.  Here is a shot of him, Jim, Dowdall and George Kimmins doing a display for the public at Brehal France in 1975 on one of the European military tours that he organised through the 1970's.

Apologies I don't have a print of this, this is a negative that I shone a light at the rear and photographed the image  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 03 2020

.fullsizeoutput_4fd9.jpeg.c60d05c9b14afcf538db7a345fbeceb5.jpeg