Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Another Then and Now from the archives. This shows a probably Scottish soldier running to cross a gap in between some buidlings in Blerick 1944/45. Although I think this is a staged shot this was actually a smart move at the time because at the other side of the river lies German occupied Venlo and regular sniper fire came from that direction.

attachicon.gif pontanusstraat.jpg

Good T&N, Rene!

Reminds me of a story a vet once told me about Okinawa. The vet and his squad had to cross an opening being covered by a Japanese sniper. They fired covering fire as each man crossed, but since they didn't know where he was, the sniper still hit some of the men as they hauled butt running through the gap. When the vet's turn came, he couldn't run fast because he hurt his foot earlier getting out of his landing craft. He was sure he was a gonner going so slow. But he kept seeing the Japanese bullets hitting ahead of him. The sniper didn't expect him to run so slow and was leading his shots too much. He credits hurting his foot to saving his life that day.

General Apathy

Then & Now Paris 1945 . . . . . . . . . .

Shot of three men from the 90th Division taking in the sights of Paris, the image is dated April 1945.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2020

.post-344-0-97379600-1587318505_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Then & Now Paris 2020 . . . . . . . . . .

Similar comparison of what the three 90th guys saw in April 1945, shot taken this week 2020.

.post-344-0-47750300-1587318700_thumb.jpeg

Shot of three men from the 90th Division taking in the sights of Paris, the image is dated April 1945.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4dfa.jpeg

Hahaha, there's also that famous 'French' police oficer

post-169612-0-90184300-1587321246_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Militaria is great fun to collect. But nothing beats collecting the stories and memories of meeting these folks who lived history and can tell us about it.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, yes there have been some stories over the years that I have been collecting. At one of the displays that we did at Grafton Underwood for the 384th USAAF myself and friends took along display cases of WWII pieces for the vetrans to see. One of the veterans said to one of my friends could he remove a prophylactic packet he had one display, he said we don't want the wives to see that ' we NEVER had sex while we were overseas, wink-wink ' .

General Apathy

Hahaha, there's also that famous 'French' police oficer

attachicon.gifGood-Moaning.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, you have said that more than once . . . . . . . .

From the shoebox, when we did a Jeeping trip to the Arnhem area in the late 80's myself and another friend were given these little painted wooden pin-back brooches and told that they were handed around in 1945 to British troops that liberated that part of Holland, don't know if you own one or ever seen one . . . . . They are about as long as an index finger.

.post-344-0-65365300-1587334075.jpeg

Hi Mikie, yes there have been some stories over the years that I have been collecting. At one of the displays that we did at Grafton Underwood for the 384th USAAF myself and friends took along display cases of WWII pieces for the vetrans to see. One of the veterans said to one of my friends could he remove a prophylactic packet he had one display, he said we don't want the wives to see that ' we NEVER had sex while we were overseas, wink-wink ' .

A bit of "cover up" or censorship even years later...great stories.

Johan Willaert

Place Pigalle.... aka Pig Alley... ?

I hear that the site will be down soon for the upgrade. Gonna be a tough couple of days without the forum and especially Norman D. Landing. Good luck everyone! See you on the other side, if not sooner!

Mikie

Simon Lerenfort

Tudor just posted this photo of the entire team on Facebook...

You most likely recognise all of them, Ken!

Beltring War&Peace 1998

Is the chap on the left Seimon Pugh Jones? His face looks familiar?

General Apathy

A bit of "cover up" or censorship even years later...great stories.

Hi Ron, thanks always think personal veteran stories are good to hear . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 20 2020

General Apathy

I hear that the site will be down soon for the upgrade. Gonna be a tough couple of days without the forum and especially Norman D. Landing. Good luck everyone! See you on the other side, if not sooner!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, oohh that's a bummer, pleased you mentioned it, as you say good luck see you soon, stay safe . . . . .

General Apathy

An end of war auction of items from the German Embassy in London . . . . . .

including a bronze bust of Hitler, and Nazi flags ready for the take-over of London . . . . . . .

An end of war auction of items from the German Embassy in London . . . . . .

including a bronze bust of Hitler, and Nazi flags ready for the take-over of London . . . . . . .

Great clip Ken..500 pounds for the bust was a fair chunk of money after the war...Those flags were interesting to say the least..having the names on then for Districts in England..just wonder how many survived or the thier where abouts known

Never gave it anythought that there would have been an embassy auction after the war or those who would purchase items.Im sure some reconized that there was historical value there others a novelty value andIm sure there was a lot of interest inthe furnishings and other decorative items as things were hard to get after the war

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

And we are back...……………...

To celebrate a Then and Now from Maastricht 1944 ?

Heidenstraat-1944.jpg.a50677ec1e963db7d3767d8bcdc41410.jpg600870906_DSC_6409aa(2)a.jpg.9f1e53790a83a8a373f470c54e5403e7.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene,  well that Dutch guy looks really happy that he still owns a bicycle, wonder where he hid it before the liberation, he must have felt like a king when most people had had theirs commandeered  and were now pedestrians. Great shot thanks little changed.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 27 2020.  ( today would have been my mothers birthday ) 

General Apathy
On 4/20/2020 at 9:56 PM, Simon Lerenfort said:

Is the chap on the left Seimon Pugh Jones? His face looks familiar?

Hi Simon,  yes it was ( or is ) Seimon Pugh-Jones, here's another one of him . . . . . . .

Also in that photograph are Andy Fletcher who worked on Captain Corelli's Mandolin, and Alan Haussmann who ran the webbing department on Band of Brothers.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 27 2020. 

. fullsizeoutput_4cb2.jpeg.d427bd5521188cc147d112377737d911.jpeg

Hi everyone!  We made it through the upgrade. 

I could probably use an upgrade of a few things myself.  But don't think the technology is around for that yet.  

Mikie

General Apathy
12 minutes ago, mikie said:

Hi everyone!  We made it through the upgrade. 

I could probably use an upgrade of a few things myself.  But don't think the technology is around for that yet.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie, the saying goes 'be careful what you wish for ', a poor chappie in the UK wished that he could win the lottery as we all do.  However, sadly last week he won 58 million UK pounds, well he's in lock-down like most people are, he can't fly, he can't travel, he can't buy a new house or even a new car during this lock-down, he can't even go out to a pub or a restaurant they are all closed.  

General Apathy
5 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Checking in too...

Hi Johan,  look what I dragged out of storage yesterday  . . . . . . . . . . . :P

.IMG_4981.JPG.41ae7a8c66bc429ff9f9ebd080bae4c2.JPG

General Apathy
Just now, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  look what I dragged out of storage yesterday  . . . . . . . . . . . :P

.IMG_4981.JPG.41ae7a8c66bc429ff9f9ebd080bae4c2.JPG

.67c2f8b9f291afc56aa9c61596fbcaf7.jpg.07d855ee11d6930814e6c51b57680071.jpg