Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

da51f64965389996cd07959c5ca6d111.jpg

Here’s a French farmers working vest that has seen years of use with many repairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, interesting bunch of clothing you posted, this waistcoat particularly is fun, never seen anything like that before.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 31 2020.

Thanks Ken

It’s safe to say it’s never been washed as it would give a GP medium tent a good run for its money !

O

normaninvasion

46242338d3089168ddd0dc4f5054d274.jpg

And the back is cut from a German paratroopers jump jacket!!!!

Splinter camouflage!!

Enjoy

Owen

That is wild! Hard to believe that survived. Really cool to see

General Apathy

Things getting tough now in Normandy Isolation . . . . . . . . .

Hardship now beginning to be felt and hitting home on the sixteenth day of isolation . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 01 2020.

.post-344-0-92747100-1585733060_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Mikie, Here is photo of my dad next to a weapons carrier, probably taken in Brittany in the fall of 1944.

attachicon.gifMEDIC VEST RESIZED h2o marked.jpg

Hi Erick, great photo and featuring your own father, a family bonus. Great pity that it is not close to an identifiable building such as a church or such I would have tried to locate for you and made a comparison shot.

General Apathy

Beautiful day of sunshine in our Normandy lock-down . . . . . . . . . . .

I opened the stable door this morning and turned the Jeep out into the garden to enjoy the warmth of the sunshine on it's back. The leaves are starting to bud now and in a week or so will be bursting out in new growth. Well time to get outdoors again and fulfilling a few more chores in the garden before sunset. ^_^

.post-344-0-35755100-1585751347_thumb.jpeg

I opened the stable door this morning and turned the Jeep out into the garden to enjoy the warmth of the sunshine on it's back. The leaves are starting to bud now and in a week or so will be bursting out in new growth. Well time to get outdoors again and fulfilling a few more chores in the garden before sunset. ^_^

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4a8f.jpeg

Seeing your jeep out enjoying the sun is a nice way to start my day!

Mikie

Speaking of spring buds and new growth, I was surprised to see all these figs on "my" fig tree.

post-2687-0-60825400-1585757281.jpg

My dad had quite the green thumb. For years one of his great ambitions was to grow a fig tree. Not the easiest thing to do with the climate of Upstate New York. Or while raising four kids. I snapped one of his saplings in half when I tripped on it playing ball. My Mom told me he was growing a potted one in the basement the winter he passed away. Hadn't thought about fig trees much since moving out in 1981. 3 years ago I was quite surprised to find one growing in the back corner of my yard when doing some spring clean up. It was about 2 feet tall. I did not plant it and the nearest fig tree I know of is over a block away. The only thing I can figure is that a squirrel planted it. In Dad's honor I decided to let grow. Last year was the first time it had a few fruit. The couple I tried were pretty good, but the squirrels claimed most of the crop. Fair enough, they planted it. Now the darned thing is over 10 feet tall and already covered with figs! It's a nice reminder of Dad.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4a8f.jpeg

i just noticed that old stone bench behind the jeep. Very interesting.

Things getting tough now in Normandy Isolation . . . . . . . . .

Hardship now beginning to be felt and hitting home on the sixteenth day of isolation . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4a75.jpeg

Hope you didn't sell all your surplus C-rations in the auctions.

American Graffiti

Mikie, I love fig trees, and a great story to go with yours.

We need this thread now more than ever, thanks Ken as always for the updates and everyone else who contributes.

Always good reading

AG

We need this thread now more than ever, thanks Ken as always for the updates and everyone else who contributes.

Always good reading

AG

I totally agree. This thread is my island of sanity in an increasingly insane world. Wait a minute, that can't be right...

I've been burning my few brain cells trying to come up with a bad pun that combines German parachutes and bathing beauties, but I've got nothing. At least not fit to print here.

So thought I'd share a little I found out about the photos. Not much on the first young lady, but the second, Frances Vorne, was a certified Yank magazine, and popular Allied pinup girl.

https://www.wwiidogtags.com/pinups/frances-vorne/

It seems Miss Vorne also made quite an impression on the British. You need to scroll down about 3/4 of the way on this one to see another shot of her in that parachute swimsuit.

http://www.cbi-theater.com/roundup/roundup041945.html

75 years after the war, she is still doing her part to boost morale!

Mikie

Thanks for the additional info, Mikie.

Rene

Speaking of spring buds and new growth, I was surprised to see all these figs on "my" fig tree.

attachicon.gifFigs March 2020.jpg

My dad had quite the green thumb. For years one of his great ambitions was to grow a fig tree. Not the easiest thing to do with the climate of Upstate New York. Or while raising four kids. I snapped one of his saplings in half when I tripped on it playing ball. My Mom told me he was growing a potted one in the basement the winter he passed away. Hadn't thought about fig trees much since moving out in 1981. 3 years ago I was quite surprised to find one growing in the back corner of my yard when doing some spring clean up. It was about 2 feet tall. I did not plant it and the nearest fig tree I know of is over a block away. The only thing I can figure is that a squirrel planted it. In Dad's honor I decided to let grow. Last year was the first time it had a few fruit. The couple I tried were pretty good, but the squirrels claimed most of the crop. Fair enough, they planted it. Now the darned thing is over 10 feet tall and already covered with figs! It's a nice reminder of Dad.

Figgin' cool.

But seriously: maybe it was just meant to be for that fig tree to start it's life there. Nice reminder of your Dad, indeed.

Rene

Hi Ken, your biscuit rationing looks rather meager…………..I cracked open some K rations and this is my nutritional meal for today……..

post-169612-0-40207800-1585820177_thumb.jpg

And for those of you who haven't seen this before: there are actually people who eat that stuff today.

Rene

General Apathy

attachicon.gifFigs March 2020.jpg

Hi Mikie, my neighbours have a seriously large Fig tree amongst their other fruit and nut bearing trees, every harvest I get a large dish of figs which I love more now than I did as a youngster. Anyway I FIGured it was time I had my own tree so I have a small one in a clay pot and I need to plant it out this year to let it grow larger and bear fruit.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 02 2020.

General Apathy

Always good reading

AG

Hi AG, many thanks for your kind comments for everyone that contributes and myself, I really enjoy the interaction with fellow members who have become friends through the forum.

Great camo items, Owen. The vest is the best, tough. Thanks for posting.

Rene

My pleasure Rene

O

Hi Mikie, my neighbours have a seriously large Fig tree amongst their other fruit and nut bearing trees, every harvest I get a large dish of figs which I love more now than I did as a youngster. Anyway I FIGured it was time I had my own tree so I have a small one in a clay pot and I need to plant it out this year to let it grow larger and bear fruit.

Good luck with your tree. My personal experience with mine is that it should be fine. I never water or fertilize mine, just cut it back every so often. If I DID water and fertilize it, the darned thing would knock over the fence! Lets see yours when you get it planted.

Mikie

Glidertrooper

I am always on the look out for interesting things to contribute to this thread, particularly as I am partly based in 'airborne country' over here in Berkshire, England, where many of the US Troop Carrier airfields were positioned and most of the US Airborne units were billeted. Unfortunately I don't get around these places as much as I would like and I am also having difficulty finding the 'Then' pictures to go with any 'Now' I could take.

Anyway, I thought the many jeep lovers and contributors from the Netherlands here might be interested by this. Before the lockdown came in, to pass an afternoon I took my son down the road to the military museum in Aldershot garrison town. A neat little museum, particularly if you are interested in the army town's history. All the armour outside could do with a lick of paint though and of course 'Elfs and Safety' mean you are denied the fun of climbing all over these heavy metal machines --> https://www.hampshireculture.org.uk/aldershot-military-museum

Getting to the point, hidden in the back barn I found what is claimed to have been the post-WWII jeep of XXX Corps GoC Lieutenant General Brian Horrocks of Operation Market Garden fame. I am always a little dubious of such claims, but here it is with my boy at the wheel:

post-166956-0-47811300-1585868167_thumb.jpg

Cheers......John

Hi John, it seems your son is enjoying himself. A nice little museum indeed. It looks like the Jeep hasn't moved much in 5 years ^_^

post-169612-0-68565400-1585901746_thumb.jpg

They have also a booth where you can get professionally yelled at.

post-169612-0-73835300-1585901801.jpg

Rene

Hi John, it seems your son is enjoying himself. A nice little museum indeed. It looks like the Jeep hasn't moved much in 5 years ^_^

attachicon.gifSAM_0526a.jpg

They have also a booth where you can get professionally yelled at.

attachicon.gifSAM_0506a.jpg

Rene

Ok, there is no way I can let that pass by without linking it to this...

Mikie