Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

A few days ago, I posted some bad pictures about a military truck I saw while out driving. I asked if anyone could tell what kind f truck it was. And was amazed that several folks were able to ID it from the poor pictures I was able to grab as it wizzed by me. Here they are again if you want to give it a try.

attachicon.gifTruck.jpg

attachicon.gifTruck (2).jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, it's a WWII three quarter ton Dodge weapons carrier . . . . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_WC_series

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 26 2020.

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, it's a WWII three quarter ton Dodge weapons carrier . . . . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_WC_series

Hi Mikie, I forgot to ask, you mentioned that it ' whizzed ' past you, were you driving in reverse . . . . . . . . . . or maybe even stationery . . . . . . . . . . :lol::lol:

Hi Mikie, I forgot to ask, you mentioned that it ' whizzed ' past you, were you driving in reverse . . . . . . . . . . or maybe even stationery . . . . . . . . . . :lol::lol:

I was stopped to make a turn when I saw it coming up behind me in my rearview mirror. It was by me and gone before I get my camera ready. Quite a thrill to see it.

Here's a link to my original post. My hat is off to all who were able to ID it. Robnb was even able to tell it was a 1942 production by the gas cap. This kind of ties in to my earlier comment about wanting to see more jeep parts and stuff.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/340136-in-case-you-are-bored-what-truck-is-this/

And thanks for the spelling check. It isn't one of my strongest points. Not sure if it in spite of or because of having my eldest brother being an English teacher. it was fun to make him cringe by deliberately using incorrect grammar.

Mikie

I was stopped to make a turn when I saw it coming up behind me in my rearview mirror. It was by me and gone before I get my camera ready. Quite a thrill to see it.

Here's a link to my original post. My hat is off to all who were able to ID it. Robnb was even able to tell it was a 1942 production by the gas cap. This kind of ties in to my earlier comment about wanting to see more jeep parts and stuff.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/340136-in-case-you-are-bored-what-truck-is-this/

And thanks for the spelling check. It isn't one of my strongest points. Not sure if it in spite of or because of having my eldest brother being an English teacher. it was fun to make him cringe by deliberately using incorrect grammar.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, maybe your next project?

post-169612-0-42310500-1585258450.jpg

Rene

Mikie

Luckily it whizzed past you and not at you……….. -_-

Rene

The Meatcan

Hi Ken! Nice to be back although it took quite awhile to get current again and plow through all those pun posts!

I must say I shed a tear or two reading about the disposition of your unfortunate Matchboxes at the hands of a misguided relative! The horror! I think many of us who have collected one thing or another have had similar experiences.

Those are some fine, quite vintage, examples you've shown. To keep things military-related here on The Forum, by any chance do you have the Matchbox Saladin or Centurion?

Stay well over there!

Terry

General Apathy

Hi Ken! Nice to be back although it took quite awhile to get current again and plow through all those pun posts!

I must say I shed a tear or two reading about the disposition of your unfortunate Matchboxes at the hands of a misguided relative! The horror! I think many of us who have collected one thing or another have had similar experiences.

Those are some fine, quite vintage, examples you've shown. To keep things military-related here on The Forum, by any chance do you have the Matchbox Saladin or Centurion?

Stay well over there!

Terry

Hi Terry, sorry I don't have the Saladin or the Centurion, the only military vehicle I have is a DUKW ( Duck ) it's in pristine condition never been out the box.

best wishes also to you over there and all our other readers . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 27 2020.

( would have been mothers birthday today )

.post-344-0-36485700-1585297292_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Fulfilling chores during Isolation lock-down . . . . . . . . . . .

Well it would be wrong to rejoice at being in isolation during this Coronavirus episode of which I am in the tenth day, but it has given me the opportunity without any lame excuses to get some work done around the property. When I moved over from the UK I brought over a couple of thousand Victorian paving stones that I had managed to get my hands on when my local council replaced them all with a tar surface same as the road surfaces.

So yesterday and today I am laying these stones out as a patio in front of the barbecue shack enabling me to have more tables and chairs next to the shack when barbecuing. Once I finish the patio I can spring clean the shack and get ready for the eventual lifting of the Isolation ban on travel and have friends round for a barbecue. :lol:

.post-344-0-70641600-1585299957.jpeg

General Apathy

have the wedding in your BBQ shack as it only seats so many.

Hi Robert, Maybe we all come over and use your shack, everything bigger in America so they say . . . . . :lol:

take care of yourself and Boo during this lock-down. ;)

General Apathy

Is that a German MG belt? From what I can see, the links don't look like US. Can we see a close up please?

Thanks, Al

Hi Al, well I think you are on the ball with guessing it to be a German MG belt, I tried to enlarge the area with the belt in and it goes too fuzzy to add to the post.

General Apathy

Great matchboxes !!

Used to collect them myself.

But as you said... you build them and then part them out.

Hi Pieter, thanks for adding comment on the Matchbox photo, sadly we don't own this stuff we only lease it for a while.

General Apathy

Coronavirus story . . . . . . of how the proverbial hit the fan. . . . . . . . . :lol:

The virus hit the UK before it reached America, hearing that there would be an Isolation lock-down people rushed to the supermarkets to grab food and supplies. Buyers would see what other people had in their carts and noticed toilet rolls, huh-huh we better grab some of those, in fact we'll take an extra few packs. Next couple, see that, see how many packs of toilet rolls they have, we better grab a few of those, take a few extra in case they run out.

Everyone hits the checkouts the computer sees all these packs of toilet rolls heading out the door, automatically orders replacements from the warehouse depot. A whole truck of toilet rolls arrives at the supermarket, but no food, customers make a dash for the toilet rolls as they ran out a few days ago, the check-out computer reads the dash on toilet rolls and automatically orders more, again little or no food, here's the rub it's ordering toilet rolls in preference to anything else, the food shelves are now empty but the panic on the toilet rolls had sold out quicker than the food shelves, so get some more toilet rolls in. :lol:

I do believe that the supermarkets have now had to over-ride the computer ordering system and get a balanced delivery of goods.

Divorce lawyers / solicitors issue warning during Coronavirus isolation . . . . . . . .

Warnings are being issued regarding married couples being forced into home isolation together for any extended period, it appears that the divorce rate has started climbing exponentially. :(

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4927.jpeg

That's OK, she's getting even with him. The N95 is being worn upside down and is not providing protection. Soon he'll be on a ventilator and she'll be telling him "I told you so!"

I feel for you on the matchbook vehicle. I had comic books of the classic novels. One day my mother tossed them in the trash. She said the garbagemen almost fought pulling then out and putting them in the cab. She told me they were just comic books. Everything else of family items my brother stole and sold including my grandfathers military items from 1908

Hi Pieter, thanks for adding comment on the Matchbox photo, sadly we don't own this stuff we only lease it for a while.

One of my guilty TV pleasures is Gilligan's Island. In one episode, millionaire Mr Howell says "If I can't take it with me, I just won't go!". One of my favorite lines.

Mikie

manayunkman

LtFrank,

Don’t worry about loosing any riches over those novel type comics.

They never became collectible enough to bring any money.

As far as sentiment goes I feel your pain.

Hi Terry, sorry I don't have the Saladin or the Centurion, the only military vehicle I have is a DUKW ( Duck ) it's in pristine condition never been out the box.

best wishes also to you over there and all our other readers . . . . . . . .

( would have been mothers birthday today )

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4971.jpeg

A DUKW in a box!

Fulfilling chores during Isolation lock-down . . . . . . . . . . .

Well it would be wrong to rejoice at being in isolation during this Coronavirus episode of which I am in the tenth day, but it has given me the opportunity without any lame excuses to get some work done around the property. When I moved over from the UK I brought over a couple of thousand Victorian paving stones that I had managed to get my hands on when my local council replaced them all with a tar surface same as the road surfaces.

So yesterday and today I am laying these stones out as a patio in front of the barbecue shack enabling me to have more tables and chairs next to the shack when barbecuing. Once I finish the patio I can spring clean the shack and get ready for the eventual lifting of the Isolation ban on travel and have friends round for a barbecue. :lol:

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4973.jpeg

I may be wrong, but seem to remember you had an interesting story about those stones. I don't remember the story, just that there was one?

Mikie

That's OK, she's getting even with him. The N95 is being worn upside down and is not providing protection. Soon he'll be on a ventilator and she'll be telling him "I told you so!"

What? A wife telling her husband "I told you so"? When in the history of marriage has that EVER happened?

General Apathy

More jeep stuff! More jeep stuff! I know very little about jeeps and parts for them. I bet a good part of what I DO know I learned right here. I look forward to seeing and learning about them.

Considering the above post and picture about isolation day 10 and the divorce rate, maybe it's not such a bad thing if the wedding is postponed. But the BBQ shack sounds like a good idea. Are the rules any looser in France right now?

Hi Mikie, you say above that you know very little about Jeeps, I guess that might apply to all the other WWII vehicles and equipment, here's an interesting link for you and would occupy your time if you find yourself in two week isolation lock-down. I will be asking questions at the end of the two weeks to see what you have learnt.

https://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/General%20Motors/gmc.htm

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 28 2020.

What? A wife telling her husband "I told you so"? When in the history of marriage has that EVER happened?

Oh, at least once or twice, I suppose.?

General Apathy

Exceptional times we are currently living in with a pandemic virus . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Being English I would like to share this British view on the current situation . . . . . . . 1minute, 50 seconds video.

Wishing everyone best of health and getting through this and continuation of joining again on this thread.

Best Wishes everyone . . . . . . . . . . B)

cid:43633CFD-F394-4EE6-A13E-F34BB1D6A663/17120dfa513195ebd391

Hi Mikie, you say above that you know very little about Jeeps, I guess that might apply to all the other WWII vehicles and equipment, here's an interesting link for you and would occupy your time if you find yourself in two week isolation lock-down. I will be asking questions at the end of the two weeks to see what you have learnt.

https://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/General%20Motors/gmc.htm

I know that website. Tons of good info there.

No lockdown for me. My company has been named an essential industry, so I get to go to the office. No worries about isolation, though. Most of the time I'm the only one there.

Please don't give me a test. My memory is terrible, so I don't do tests well.

Take care everyone!