Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

great to see so many readers today . . . . . .

I was just greatly amused to see that just five minutes ago there were 40 people currently reading this thread, so funny I had to capture the image and send on to Sabrejet show him what he's missing not posting here any longer . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 21 2020.

.post-344-0-65356100-1584803551_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Coronavirus isolation report . . . . . . . .

after several days of home isolation I have run out of toilet paper and resorted to using newspaper,

Times are rough :lol::lol::lol:

Coronavirus isolation report . . . . . . . .

after several days of home isolation I have run out of toilet paper and resorted to using newspaper,

Times are rough :lol::lol::lol:

I heard your neighbors cat was missing...its not quarantined in your bathroom???

"Hey Karen..were out of TP...wheres the cat" ?

post-342-0-08006300-1584807850_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, thanks for your best wishes. Still got a runny nose and the occasional sneeze so self isolation it is. Time for a quick Then and Now from Venlo. Just to be clear: the Now shot was taken last year.

The bridge shown in the Then shot is a class 40/70 timber pile bridge erected by the 1146 Engineer C group. The Germans destroyed the road and railway bridge at the end of 1944 when they gave up the Venlo bridhead at the west bank of the Maas. When Venlo was finally liberated in march 1945 it was important to the Allies to get men and equipment as soon as possible across the Maas river for their drive into Germany so 4 bridges in total were constructed to cross the river.

This was one of the US bridges. On march the 23rd 1945 it was ready and it was used untill december 4th 1947.

post-169612-0-90886900-1584811466_thumb.jpgpost-169612-0-86424900-1584811483_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone, thanks for your best wishes. Still got a runny nose and the occasional sneeze so self isolation it is. Time for a quick Then and Now from Venlo. Just to be clear: the Now shot was taken last year.

The bridge shown in the Then shot is a class 40/70 timber pile bridge erected by the 1146 Engineer C group. The Germans destroyed the road and railway bridge at the end of 1944 when they gave up the Venlo bridhead at the west bank of the Maas. When Venlo was finally liberated in march 1945 it was important to the Allies to get men and equipment as soon as possible across the Maas river for their drive into Germany so 4 bridges in total were constructed to cross the river.

This was one of the US bridges. On march the 23rd 1945 it was ready and it was used untill december 4th 1947.

attachicon.gifVenlo bridge.jpgattachicon.gifVenlo bridge sign.jpg

This the Now shot looking towards Venlo. The bridge would have landed beside the small flat building at the left.

post-169612-0-87909700-1584811876_thumb.jpg

This the Now shot looking towards Venlo. The bridge would have landed beside the small flat building at the left.

attachicon.gifDSC_5896a.jpg

Here's two shots of a map I picked up last year. It's always fun to find stuff that's 'related' to the area you live in.

post-169612-0-50632500-1584812200_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-91504900-1584812212_thumb.jpg

Nice to see everyone checking in. I'm such a worry wart. Rene, hope you get better soon. Nice T&N!

I spent the past week working from home configuring and testing robot controllers on a makeshift portable test fixture. Some of the robots my company makes are used in bioscience labs. A few of our customers are actively using them in the coronavirus war. So we have been declared an essential industry. That means I get to go back to the office on Monday and do my small part to save the planet. I'm thinking of asking for my pay in the form of toilet paper.

Take care everyone!

General Apathy

attachicon.gifVenlo bridge.jpgattachicon.gifVenlo bridge sign.jpg

Hi Rene, first off best wishes for a speedy recovery, secondly thanks for some more great photos, love the view of the temporary bridge and part of the town . . . . . .

General Apathy

Nice to see everyone checking in. I'm such a worry wart. Rene, hope you get better soon. Nice T&N!

I spent the past week working from home configuring and testing robot controllers on a makeshift portable test fixture. Some of the robots my company makes are used in bioscience labs. A few of our customers are actively using them in the coronavirus war. So we have been declared an essential industry. That means I get to go back to the office on Monday and do my small part to save the planet. I'm thinking of asking for my pay in the form of toilet paper.

Take care everyone!

Hi Mikie, I certainly hope they pay you toilet rolls and not wheelbarrows of useless banknotes, remember WWII started in that way . . . . . . . . . . . many thanks for helping provide parts towards medical laborities and possible discoveries of an anti-virus.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 22 2020.

General Apathy

Pretty much same as here.... Everything closed down and maximum work from home...

So what does one do??? Well cleaning, prepping and painting Jeep parts is a way to fill the days....

All of these F marked bolts are from the rear axle....

Hope to see you in June, Ken, but actually doubt it will have cleared up by then....

Stay safe everyone...

Hi Johan, here's one of the photos my longtime Jeep-Freak friend Len sent me of his NOS Ford Jeep spares, jealous ! ! well yes very much, museum pieces but sadly they wouldn't be for using.

.post-344-0-58973600-1584873278_thumb.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Nice Ken... Thx for posting..

Don't we GPW-owners all have some of these parts and especially wrappers and small boxes laying around on display???

Cheers,

Johan

General Apathy

Nice Ken... Thx for posting..

Don't we GPW-owners all have some of these parts and especially wrappers and small boxes laying around on display???

Cheers,

Johan

Hi Johan

Yes, but never enough . . . . . . . .

Back in the day I was probably grabbing more early Willys slat-grille pieces for rebuilding my MB serial number 118299, which means it was number 18,299th off the line . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-77680600-1584884306_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

I heard your neighbors cat was missing...its not quarantined in your bathroom???

"Hey Karen..were out of TP...wheres the cat" ?

attachicon.gif79322303_10214535064562761_677933714063228928_n.jpg

Hi Ron, thankfully I know that you are a cat and animal lover and only joking . . . . . . . . hope others appreciate that.

Since I am in virus lock-down isolation in the house I have a lot of spare time so I have started a yacht building company in the loft, . . . . . . . and sales are going through the roof ! ! :lol::lol::lol:

Hi Ron, thankfully I know that you are a cat and animal lover and only joking . . . . . . . . hope others appreciate that.

Since I am in virus lock-down isolation in the house I have a lot of spare time so I have started a yacht building company in the loft, . . . . . . . and sales are going through the roof ! ! :lol::lol::lol:

Or you could say "sails are through the roof" hahaha!

General Apathy

Or you could say "sails are through the roof" hahaha!

Hi Kat, thanks, really it has to be told verbally where both spellings would sound the same, sadly when written a choice has to be made which takes the edge off it ?????? :mellow:

Hi Kat, thanks, really it has to be told verbally where both spellings would sound the same, sadly when written a choice has to be made which takes the edge off it ?????? :mellow:

Exactly! Sorry if I did not come across as laughing. I thought it was great!

that's a rather unorthodocks way to seas the day imo.........……….

Rene

General Apathy

Exactly! Sorry if I did not come across as laughing. I thought it was great!

Hi Kat, my apologies to you Kat while reading your post I managed to splash tomato ketchup in my eyes and I was seeing your post in Heinz-site . . . . :lol::lol::lol:

General Apathy

that's a rather unorthodocks way to seas the day imo.........……….

Rene

Hi Rene, looking at your spelling reminded me of the young boy that came home from school looking rather glum. His father asked him why he looked so glum, the boy replied it was because the teacher asked the class to write a composition about the Coronavirus and possible Armageddon but the teacher marked down his composition as he had misspelt Armageddon, the father said, don't worry son it's not the end of the world . . . . . :lol::lol::lol:

Sent

Sail jokes can get tacky if they get long winded.

True story...This reminds me of the time my Dad made a coupola for the top of the garage. It was his winter project he made down in the basement. He was a skilled amateur carpenter and it came out beautiful. Somehow he got his measurements slightly wrong and it was about 1 inch too wide to fit through the door come spring.

General Apathy

Ken,

Great jeep grilles!! That is a jeep idea that I might be able to afford! Hahaha!

Show us pictures after you get them repaired and painted.

...Kat

Hi Kat, this is a shot captured at an American flea market / antiques show, Jeep grilles are out there if you look for them . . . . . . . . I also love American pick-up tail gates with the manufacturer names pressed in them, they make great wall hangers as well, post war Willys civilian models had Willys stamped in them.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 24 2020.

.post-344-0-34803800-1585045388_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

All of you are cracking me up! This is why I love this thread so dearly. We can all use a laugh now and then!

...Kat

Hi Kat, due to this current virus pandemic then many stores are closing down until safe to re-open, Womens hairdressing stores, nail-bar stores, make-up stores, perfume stores, things are going to get ugly for a while :lol::lol::lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 24 2020.