Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Normandy Beaches . . . . . . . . .

Omaha Beach 1951, still littered with bunkers and smashed buildings from the landings . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 12 2020.

.post-344-0-26553700-1584015380_thumb.jpeg

Ken,

These pictures from 6 years after the war are amazing. I think we, Americans, often overlook the devastation from WWII that took years to recover from over there. You show us pictures from today where houses still have bullet holes. We don't often think about littered beaches, destroyed bridges and other places that took decades to return to normal. Our towns were basically unscathed during the war whereas your towns and beaches were flattened.

Thank you for all you are doing to show us what happened over there....Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

These pictures from 6 years after the war are amazing. I think we, Americans, often overlook the devastation from WWII that took years to recover from over there. You show us pictures from today where houses still have bullet holes. We don't often think about littered beaches, destroyed bridges and other places that took decades to return to normal. Our towns were basically unscathed during the war whereas your towns and beaches were flattened.

Hi Kat, many thanks for your kind comments, it's nice to try and pull all this information into this one thread about Normandy. When I first came to Normandy in the mid 70's there were still many people and families living in houses without roofs. A lot of money and rebuilding has occurred since then.

Another shot of Omaha beach 1951 . . . .

.post-344-0-70364900-1584022242.jpeg

General Apathy

Omaha Beach 1951, still littered with parts from broken up ships waiting for transporting to steel foundries . . . .

.post-344-0-76149500-1584022409.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

Ken,

Quite true, but with a few exceptions of course

Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii

Hickam AFB 001.JPG

Hickam AFB 002.jpg

Hickam AFB 003.jpg

Hickam AFB 004.jpg

True but I was talking about the mainland. Also, while Hawaii was a U.S. Territory during the war it did not become a state until 1959.

...Kat

Still raining, Still flooded . . . . . . . . .

well we have been having a most unusual amount of rainfall this winter, it seems like it has been continually raining daily since September, fields that I have never seen flooded in fifteen years are now under water.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 11 2020.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_468c.jpeg

Sorry to hear about all the flooding there. Hope you stay high and dry.

Mikie

Wow, amazing photos! Thanks for sharing!

I am pleased the military left the battle scars exposed, and not fill them in. They act as an eye opening monument to that fateful day...

General Apathy

Hi Salvage Sailor, thanks for the images you added, I suppose that somewhere out there will be the ' Then ' images that we would then be able to compare with.

I suppose you will be familiar with some of the ships debris on Omaha beach in 1951.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 13 2020.

General Apathy

Sorry to hear about all the flooding there. Hope you stay high and dry.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for the thoughts, it's been the first real sunny and DRY day today . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Omaha Beach, features the temporary cemetery above Omaha beach 1945 / 46.

.post-344-0-95693600-1584189674_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Jeep covers . . . . . . . . . Then & Now.

About seven years ago I bought an original abandoned WWII Jeep cover from a farm near Montebourg, Montebourg is on the route from Ste Mere Eglise in the direction of Cherbourg. What interested me today was seeing the style features on mine to the cover seen in a piece of color footage I watched this morning.

Here's the screen grab I took this morning, evident is the rexine type edging that runs along the side edge and then then turns up and over the rear seam above the rear window. The Rexine edging was not used down the side of the rear panel. Note also the sewing on the internal strengthing strip to the right of the windscreen from top seam downwards past the window.

( Rexine is a trademarked name for an imitation type leather which is made by covering a woven surface with cellulose nitrate )

.post-344-0-67664400-1584190130_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-53382400-1584190162_thumb.jpeg

Awesome Ken, you need to forward to the Jeep canvas manufacturers with copyright!!

An impressive and rare find - an original Jeep cover left over.... cool! (Not that you ever put one up on your Jeep!!) :D

General Apathy

I've only been up for a few hours and already learned my new thing for the day. Rexine. Think I'll go back to bed now.

Hi Mikie, something else for you to read and digest, it's reported in a French newspaper today that due to the Coronavirus Italy has put the country into isolation lockdown and the Italian government thinks it's not a necessity for Italian males to risk going out for cigarettes or to meet their prostitutes . . . . . . . :lol::lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 14 2020.

General Apathy

Awesome Ken, you need to forward to the Jeep canvas manufacturers with copyright!!

An impressive and rare find - an original Jeep cover left over.... cool! (Not that you ever put one up on your Jeep!!) :D

Hi Graham, local Jeeping friends consider it highly amusing that I should have bought a cover which I have never had the intention of ever using. As original covers are possibly the most difficult part of a Jeep to find, then I consider conserving one for the future part of my hobby. The construction of my recovered cover has details that are possibly not utilised in any covers made today.

General Apathy

I need one of those signs on my land rover

Warning

Left handed driver

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, reading your post you should patent a new sign for the rear of vehicles

" Non-Ambidextrous, Left Handed Driver Only " :lol:

Omaha Beach, features the temporary cemetery above Omaha beach 1945 / 46.

Ken,

In this picture, it looks like the wrecked ships in the background are the same ones in the picture you posted that was taken in the 50's. Is that true?

...Kat

Ken,

Every time you post pictures of jeeps it makes me want one so badly!!! I love your jeep posts almost as much as your then and now posts.

....Kat

Johan Willaert

The construction of my recovered cover has details that are possibly not utilised in any covers made today.

Farrell Fox has been making 100% correct Jeep tops for both MB and GPW for a while now, although he has temporarily stopped production because of lack of fasteners...

But they are out there now...

General Apathy

Ken,

In this picture, it looks like the wrecked ships in the background are the same ones in the picture you posted that was taken in the 50's. Is that true?

...Kat

Hi Kat, yes the line of ships can be seen in several of the photos, I am not sure exactly how many were sunk to form the breakwater protecting the beach, interesting though to see how long it took to clear up the debris of war.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 15 2020.

General Apathy

Ken,

Every time you post pictures of jeeps it makes me want one so badly!!! I love your jeep posts almost as much as your then and now posts.

....Kat

Hi Kat, well sadly last night the war on the Coronavirus impinged on our social lives here, under government order all Cafe's, bars, restaurants and other non-essential business have been closed until further order.

Well we like to get the Jeeps out regularly, but this morning we had no bar or cafe that we could visit, so we still took two Jeeps our along with our own coffee in Thermos flasks and sat in the carpark in Ste Mere for an hour drinking coffee and shooting the breeze . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-18274000-1584307721_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Farrell Fox has been making 100% correct Jeep tops for both MB and GPW for a while now, although he has temporarily stopped production because of lack of fasteners...

But they are out there now...

Hi Johan, thanks for mentioning Farrell Fox covers, couldn't particularly find any shots on the web but fortunately one of my Jeep-Freak friends Len from Wales has one of these covers and sent me a few images. heres one showing the Rexine type edging.

.post-344-0-41188900-1584308007_thumb.jpg