Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Lets have a little fun / todays find /what do I have . . . . . . . . . . . . .

For the observant collector then between this and the photo in the previous post there is a clue on the package as to what the contents are, even though the package is badly aged and damaged. I guessed what I would find in the carton by the clue on the outside of the package, the dealer didn't know what he had.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 08 2020

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_45f0.jpeg

Sent

Well if this is for the observant collector, that lets me out. I'm definitely a Doctor Watson around here. Can't wait to find out what it is.

Mikie

USAAF 398th reunion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Just received these two photos from Tudor ( 1st left standing ) which I have never seen before. Taken at a 398th USAAF reunion at Duxford air museum ( no date possibly late 80s early 90s ). Front row kneeling Brett, Lewis, Christian, Perry. Eight of us had taken a display of WWII uniform and equipment to display for these veterans, as the coaches rolled into the car park I was tasked by the museum director with giving an unrehearsed speech for the veterans & wives. . . . . . . . . . . a memorable day for us collectors.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 07 2020

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_45e9.jpeg

Sent

Fantastic! Ken, I never heard you speak, but would not be surprised if an unrehearsed speech from you would rival a rehearsed one from most people.

Mikie

General Apathy

I feel like a real heel not joining in on the shoe puns. Been fighting off a cold (yes, just a cold). It makes me feel better to see you all marching on without me.

I felt so bad the other evening that I fell asleep on the sofa while reading, about 7PM. Something I rarely do. Woke up about 10 and groggy, sleepy and miserable, went to brush my teeth. I was at it about a minute before realizing I wasn't brushing my teeth afterall. I was shaving. After they finished laughing their butts off when I told this to my lovely family, they attributed it to a senior moment, but I'll blame the cold.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well, good to have you posting again

General Apathy

Sent

Well if this is for the observant collector, that lets me out. I'm definitely a Doctor Watson around here. Can't wait to find out what it is.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well if you're Dr. Watson I must have been Sherlock Holmes. The round circles pressed into the side of the waterproofed package alerted me to what would be in the package. The circular holes ( post # 15999 ) are not intentional they came about through pressure of what they were packed next to and transported with . . . . . . . ?????

Another clue, these are what were remaining in the damaged carton 24 of them, along with the clue about the circles, any closer ?????

.post-344-0-72274900-1583704306_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Sent

Fantastic! Ken, I never heard you speak, but would not be surprised if an unrehearsed speech from you would rival a rehearsed one from most people.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thank you very much for your confidence in my abilities :blush: . My daughter gets married this year and for that I need to compose a great speech. A good speech at a wedding needs a little light humor, however as the joke about the bridegroom and a sheep was in the 1994 movie ' four weddings and a funeral ' I can't use that one, much to the relief of my daughter. :lol: :lol:

Hi Mikie, well if you're Dr. Watson I must have been Sherlock Holmes. The round circles pressed into the side of the waterproofed package alerted me to what would be in the package. The circular holes ( post # 15999 ) are not intentional they came about through pressure of what they were packed next to and transported with . . . . . . . ?????

Another clue, these are what were remaining in the damaged carton 24 of them, along with the clue about the circles, any closer ?????

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_45f7.jpeg

Well, since I'm neither Dr. Watson nor Sherlock Holmes I have to 'resort' to guessing…..and my best guess would be: something round that's part of a Jeep :P ....whether that would be a rear view mirror, lights or dials I don't know.

Rene

General Apathy

Well, since I'm neither Dr. Watson nor Sherlock Holmes I have to 'resort' to guessing…..and my best guess would be: something round that's part of a Jeep :P ....whether that would be a rear view mirror, lights or dials I don't know.

Rene

OK so I may have teased you long enough, the circular holes on the packaging come about from the pressure of the package being packed between sections of PSP matting, these are the clips that prevent the PSP jumping apart when aircraft are making heavy landings . . . . . . .

I have known that there were such clips all my collecting life but never managed to see any photos or reference for them, now I finally possess a few of them, and hopefully shared that knowledge with fellow members and collectors.

My sections of PSP are packed away in storage so I nipped across to my neighbours house who has a recovered section outside his house. The PSP sections are linked together and then the clip hammered in the space left preventing movement.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 09 2020

.post-344-0-17076000-1583744897_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

I have known that there were such clips all my collecting life but never managed to see any photos or reference for them, now I finally possess a few of them, and hopefully shared that knowledge with fellow members and collectors.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 09 2020.

.post-344-0-41868600-1583745044_thumb.jpeg

Ken,

Very interesting! I was trying to think of a jeep part. I never even thought about PSP matting. You are really a fountain of trivia knowledge!

..Kat

Johan Willaert

OK, I have been very busy in the War Room and haven't had much time to check the forum, but glad I did today, as I now have something to hunt for the USAAF display I'm building in the collection shed….

There's Always something on the list... ;-)

post-92-0-29157100-1583767567_thumb.jpg

OK so I may have teased you long enough, the circular holes on the packaging come about from the pressure of the package being packed between sections of PSP matting, these are the clips that prevent the PSP jumping apart when aircraft are making heavy landings . . . . . . .

My sections of PSP are packed away in storage so I nipped across to my neighbours house who has a recovered section outside his house. The PSP sections are linked together and then the clip hammered in the space left preventing movement.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_45fa.jpeg

Thanks Ken, learned something new again.

Rene

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_45fa.jpeg

This is exactly what I thought they were!

I love the odd obscure stuff like this.

Mikie

General Apathy

Ken,

Very interesting! I was trying to think of a jeep part. I never even thought about PSP matting. You are really a fountain of trivia knowledge!

..Kat

Hi Kat, pleased that you enjoyed reading about the clips, something thats been in my mind many years wondering what the shape of the clips would be like that I was searching for . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 10 2020.

General Apathy

OK, I have been very busy in the War Room and haven't had much time to check the forum, but glad I did today, as I now have something to hunt for the USAAF display I'm building in the collection shed….

There's Always something on the list... ;-)

Hi Johan, the number of years that you and I have been collecting and there is always something else to see or find, good luck with the display . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 10 2020.

Knowing the interest in this matting around here, I actually thought about you folks while out walking a few days back. I spotted what looks like a modern day equivalent to that matting at a construction site. Took a picture for you! I guess everything is plastic these days.

post-2687-0-34929200-1583797531.jpg

Mikie

General Apathy

Thanks Ken, learned something new again.

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks it was all a little silliness in the first few posts questioning if anyone could guess what was in the damaged carton. However I think it answers two questions regarding PSP planks, that there were securing clips, and that they were packed between layers of the planks so always available when laying the planks . . . . . .

Hope it becomes common knowledge amongst collectors.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 11 2020.

General Apathy

This is exactly what I thought they were!

I love the odd obscure stuff like this.

Mikie.

Hi Mikie, here's some-more obscure stuff for you, they produced 702 million square feet of PSP during WWII . . . . . . . . . :o

.post-344-0-87799200-1583842166.jpeg

General Apathy

Knowing the interest in this matting around here, I actually thought about you folks while out walking a few days back. I spotted what looks like a modern day equivalent to that matting at a construction site. Took a picture for you! I guess everything is plastic these days.

attachicon.gifmatting.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for showing a modern form of plastic matting, although I say thanks I will add the caveat ' Life's too short for plastic " . . . . . . . . . :lol:

General Apathy

Still raining, Still flooded . . . . . . . . .

well we have been having a most unusual amount of rainfall this winter, it seems like it has been continually raining daily since September, fields that I have never seen flooded in fifteen years are now under water.

.post-344-0-35628700-1583932626_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy Beaches . . . . . . . . .

Omaha Beach 1951, still littered with sunken ships used for protecting the landings from storms and swells . . . .

.post-344-0-59280500-1583936712_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Omaha Beach 1951, still littered with ships used for protecting the landings from storms and swells . . . .

.post-344-0-59010000-1583937545.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 09 2020.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_45f5.jpeg

That is brilliant Ken! I had no idea...

One of those insignificant items, but essential! Great discovery!

General Apathy

That is brilliant Ken! I had no idea...

One of those insignificant items, but essential! Great discovery!

Hi Graham, funny isn't it some factory in the US turning these out possibly without realising that they were just as crucial as all the more recognisable war products, tanks, Jeeps, aircraft, munitions . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 12 2020.

General Apathy

Omaha Beach 1951, still littered with bunkers and smashed buildings from the landings . . . .

.post-344-0-45081200-1584015104_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Omaha Beach 1951, still littered with bunkers and smashed buildings, beach matting from the landings . . . .

.post-344-0-22969900-1584015238_thumb.jpeg