Norman D. Landing

bilko1

The red arrow in the picture will be explained by the next Then shot. It markes the spot where this Sherman M36 B1 tank destroyer is located. It is quite a rare beast since about 187examples were build. It is equipped with a 90mm gun. If you look carefully you can see the same person pictured in the first Then shot (the one holding something under his arm) standing in front of the tank. And if you look past the gun barrel you can see a couple of GI's running towards the houses. The tank crew looks in the same direction.

Rene,

Amazing then and now pictures! Can't believe you found the exact same spot! The houses are the exact same.

I hope you had a great day celebrating the liberation. Interesting looking book that started your interest all those years ago!

Thanks for the great post! Kat

Thanks everyone.

Yes Mikie, tomorrow evening there will be an official commemoration for the whole region called Limburg (in which Venlo is located but also Maastricht for instance). On March 3rd 1945 a town called Arcen became the last place in Limburg to be liberated and since Arcen is part of Venlo nowadays the event will be held in front of the town hall in Venlo. Hopefully the weather will play nice because at the moment it is raining AGAIN.

I have to say that a lot of attention has been payed to liberation dates in the whole of Limburg and public interest and awareness has been quite high.

post-169612-0-48793100-1583165844_thumb.jpg

Rene

Thanks everyone.

Yes Mikie, tomorrow evening there will be an official commemoration for the whole region called Limburg (in which Venlo is located but also Maastricht for instance). On March 3rd 1945 a town called Arcen became the last place in Limburg to be liberated and since Arcen is part of Venlo nowadays the event will be held in front of the town hall in Venlo. Hopefully the weather will play nice because at the moment it is raining AGAIN.

I have to say that a lot of attention has been payed to liberation dates in the whole of Limburg and public interest and awareness has been quite high.

Rene

Rene,

Your town hall building is beautiful!!

...Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

This is fascinating! Is this in a museum or your friend's house?

P.S. I hope your siblings are doing better. They are still in my prayers.

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for the comment on my friends collection, heres another shot of his displays.

Thanks also for thinking of my family, cancer is one of life's worst diagnoses.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 01 2020

.post-344-0-06618200-1583198148_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi everyone, today (the first of March) markes the 75th anniversary of the liberation of my home town Venlo. Taks force Byrne (320th IR , 35th ID and the 784 Tank battallion crossed the German Border into the Netherlands (how ironic) and at around 16:00 hours local time entered the outskirts Venlo. This is what it must have looked like back then.

attachicon.gifKaldenkerkerweg 45.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, another group of interesting images you have added, I'm sure that many people will enjoy them even if no comments are added. ' keep buggering on '

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 03 2020

General Apathy

Well here's a back to front Jeep . . . . . . . .

just received this photo from long term military friend Ian ( Sabrejet ), it's a late world war two jeep converted to an armoured car for Korea 1952. The engine and chassis still appear to be original configuration, except they have swopped the front and rear axles allowing steering to be done from what was originally the rear of the Jeep. Would love to see how they engineered the running-gear, brakes, clutch etc. It appears they have grafted part of a second grille to the original deepening it to increase cooling airflow now its a rare engined vehicle.

.post-344-0-22054100-1583234466_thumb.jpg

just received this photo from long term military friend Ian ( Sabrejet ), it's a late world war two jeep converted to an armoured car for Korea 1952. The engine and chassis still appear to be original configuration, except they have swopped the front and rear axles allowing steering to be done from what was originally the rear of the Jeep. Would love to see how they engineered the running-gear, brakes, clutch etc. It appears they have grafted part of a second grille to the original deepening it to increase cooling airflow now its a rare engined vehicle.

.attachicon.gifJ3.jpg

ian always has neat stuff

Hi Kat, thanks for the comment on my friends collection, heres another shot of his displays.

Ken,

This collection is amazing and museum worthy!!

So very sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis in your family. I know first hand how hard that can be.

...Kat

Well here's a back to front Jeep . . . . . . it's a late world war two jeep converted to an armoured car for Korea 1952. The engine and chassis still appear to be original configuration, except they have swopped the front and rear axles allowing steering to be done from what was originally the rear of the Jeep. Would love to see how they engineered the running-gear, brakes, clutch etc. It appears they have grafted part of a second grille to the original deepening it to increase cooling airflow now its a rare engined vehicle.

Ken,

This just proves the great versatility of the jeep!

...Kat

General Apathy

Complications experienced by the Quartermaster Corp in WWII . . . . . . . . .

Take a look at this photo and the complexity of equipping soldiers in WWII becomes apparent. Eight sizes across and six widths down in each size, forty-eight individual sizes in this shot.

Now to make this more complex multiple all this again by maybe ten or twelve different styles of footwear, Shoes low ankle dress, Boots ankle, boots paratroop, Boots sheepskin flying, Over-Boots waterproof, Boots rubberised, Boots Mukluks, Boots ski, etc, etc . . . . . . . . . . .
( This is a quick appraisal based on the number of partitions in this wartime quartermasters shot, I haven't had time to consult my records before posting. )
.post-344-0-65359000-1583249579_thumb.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 01 2020

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4521.jpeg

Is that horse German army issue? It looks like it's in great shape for being 75 years old.

Mikie

Ken,

This collection is amazing and museum worthy!!

So very sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis in your family. I know first hand how hard that can be.

...Kat

Adding my sympathy.

Mikie

Take a look at this photo and the complexity of equipping soldiers in WWII becomes apparent. Eight sizes across and six widths down in each size, forty-eight individual sizes in this shot.

Now to make this more complex multiple all this again by maybe ten or twelve different styles of footwear, Shoes low ankle dress, Boots ankle, boots paratroop, Boots sheepskin flying, Over-Boots waterproof, Boots rubberised, Boots Mukluks, Boots ski, etc, etc . . . . . . . . . . .
( This is a quick appraisal based on the number of partitions in this wartime quartermasters shot, I haven't had time to consult my records before posting. )

Wow! That's almost as big as my wife's shoe collection!

Mikie

Hi all, yesterday evening, in front of our town hall in Venlo, the 75th commemoration of the liberation of the region Limburg and especially Venlo was held and I have to say it was quite impressive. It was also televised live and hopefully the added link works. I'm fully aware that most of you can't inderstand what's being said but some of the pictures, films and special effects convey the message very well in my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/L1mburg/videos/193929445260605/

Rene

And especially for Kat another shot of our town hall in all its glory ^_^.

Rene

Thanks for the great picture! It really is a beautiful building. I am so glad it survived the war!

...Kat

Thanks for the great picture! It really is a beautiful building. I am so glad it survived the war!

...Kat

Yes, but it was a miracle.....there was damage but luckily it could be restored

post-169612-0-35065300-1583341596_thumb.jpg

Rene

Another nice touch. All flags of the municipalities from the region Limburg are flown at the roundabout in front of the train station.

post-169612-0-33883200-1583342215_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi all, yesterday evening, in front of our town hall in Venlo, the 75th commemoration of the liberation of the region Limburg and especially Venlo was held and I have to say it was quite impressive. It was also televised live and hopefully the added link works. I'm fully aware that most of you can't inderstand what's being said but some of the pictures, films and special effects convey the message very well in my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/L1mburg/videos/193929445260605/

Rene

Glad to hear about the commemoration ceremony being a success. I look forward to watching the video when I get home tonight.

Mikie

.attachicon.gifJ3.jpg

Sure looks like there is a jeep under there somewhere. Remarkable vehicles for sure!

Mikie

General Apathy

Boots procurement during WWII . . . . . . . . . .

ok so I had a few minutes to dig out this official historical reference regarding total numbers of boots produced in WWII and it appears that total production of all styles amounts to 145,563,000 thats 145,563 Million.

When reading the numbers in the chart please note that it states the totals shown are in thousands, which requires three zeros added to each total to upgrade the number into millions.

( production of all types of socks amounts to 519 Million ????? , 551 million pounds of apple used ???? )

.post-344-0-66450200-1583426120_thumb.jpeg

ok so I had a few minutes to dig out this official historical reference regarding total numbers of boots produced in WWII and it appears that total production of all styles amounts to 145,563,000 thats 145,563 Million.

When reading the numbers in the chart please note that it states the totals shown are in thousands, which requires three zeros added to each total to upgrade the number into millions.

( production of all types of socks amounts to 519 Million ????? , 551 million pounds of apple used ???? )

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_457c.jpeg

Sent

That is truly astounding! And we are just talking footwear here. It's so mind boggling, I can't come up with a clever pun about it.

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_457c.jpeg

That is an awesome statistic Ken! Great detective work as always!

Cheers Graham