Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Salvage Sailor

Nice photo with excellent details, the original is in the US National Archives

Caption: Some 7,500 men of the 29th US Infantry Division, including the 175th Infantry Regiment, embarked at Polgwidden Cove for the assault landing on Omaha. Here a unit marches through Trebah towards the beach, where the LSTs await

NARA: 247548-1

NARA.jpg

General Apathy

Caption: Some 7,500 men of the 29th US Infantry Division, including the 175th Infantry Regiment, embarked at Polgwidden Cove for the assault landing on Omaha. Here a unit marches through Trebah towards the beach, where the LSTs await

NARA: 247548-1

Hi Salvage, thanks for adding a larger image and also the details attributed to the image and the NARA details.

Below is a painting displayed at the Trebah gardens, showing the loading area within the gardens area.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 10 2020

.post-344-0-40808000-1581341856_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy bunker defences . . . . . . . . . .

Shown below is the area covered by this particular map, it is the top area right side of Cherbourg, I have highlighted on the fold-out map sixty-five locations of German bunkers, these sites range between a single bunker and ten bunkers. Not having visited all of these sites yet I don't have a bunker total so far, for me what is interesting is that they are pretty much all off the tourist / visitor routes and unvisited by tour guides and guests. Although mainly viewed as abandoned bunkers a lot have been adopted as barns, garages or holiday houses. This particular map does not cover Utah, Omaha or the area to the left-side of Cherbourg, three more maps are necessary to cover those areas.

.post-344-0-59247400-1581352085_thumb.jpeg

Caption:  Some 7,500 men of the 29th US Infantry Division, including the 175th Infantry Regiment, embarked at Polgwidden Cove for the assault landing on Omaha. Here a unit marches through Trebah towards the beach, where the LSTs await

NARA:  247548-1

ATB shot the same corner in an edition many years ago

The nails are still in the tree holding the signs up

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Apathy

ATB shot the same corner in an edition many years ago

The nails are still in the tree holding the signs up

Owen

Hi Owen, thanks for letting us know that After the Battle covered this some years ago, I loved that magazine but it's not possible to archive so many copies of the magazine.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 12 2020

Any idea about the soldier standing directly under the HALT sign? His jacket looks quite a bit darker than the others in the photo. Also, his helmet looks shiny?

Are the 2 men near the bicycle policemen? Those uniforms don't look familiar to me.

Mikie

Normandy bunker defences . . . . . . . . . .

Shown below is the area covered by this particular map, it is the top area right side of Cherbourg, I have highlighted on the fold-out map sixty-five locations of German bunkers, these sites range between a single bunker and ten bunkers. Not having visited all of these sites yet I don't have a bunker total so far, for me what is interesting is that they are pretty much all off the tourist / visitor routes and unvisited by tour guides and guests. Although mainly viewed as abandoned bunkers a lot have been adopted as barns, garages or holiday houses. This particular map does not cover Utah, Omaha or the area to the left-side of Cherbourg, three more maps are necessary to cover those areas.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_41de.jpeg

Do you plan to check out each site that is accessible? It would be good to have them documented while they still exist. If they still do, aren't documented already.

Sorry about the lag time in replying to these posts. Been a bit under the weather again/still. But I still do look, and still enjoy seeing them.

Mikie

The 2 men are dressed in British uniforms and may be MPs but likely not

The other guy appears to be wearing a camouflage helmet and my be a USN man wearing their cotton work uniform similar to the army version.

Nothing much military to report at the moment, but I thought of Rene when I saw this display at the local World Market this weekend. It was tough, but I resisted buying any.

post-2687-0-53770200-1582045122_thumb.jpg

Mikie

Nothing much military to report at the moment, but I thought of Rene when I saw this display at the local World Market this weekend. It was tough, but I resisted buying any.

attachicon.gifStroopwafels.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, now that's what I'd call a very tempting display.....I admire your restraint :)

Rene

The 2 men are dressed in British uniforms and may be MPs but likely not

The other guy appears to be wearing a camouflage helmet and my be a USN man wearing their cotton work uniform similar to the army version.

On closer inspection, that may very well be a camouflage helmet. That didn't occur to me before you noticed it. Such good eyes around here. And brains behind them.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, now that's what I'd call a very tempting display.....I admire your restraint :)

Rene

I've had some reminders lately of why eating healthier is important, especially at my advanced age. Resisting was tough but had to be done. Gouda on sale at the supermarket was impossible for me to walk away from, though.

Mikie

On closer inspection, that may very well be a camouflage helmet.  That didn't occur to me before you noticed it. Such good eyes around here.   And brains behind them.

Mikie

It’s my job to notice everything

It's been a little quiet around here lately. Hope everyone is well. I don't have anything military to report, so thought I'd keep things going with something completely different.

I've loved Doctor Who since catching my first episode back in 1978. So I was thrilled to have a chance recently to pick up a relic from an original 1967 Ice Warrior helmet. The small fragment was left over from the repair of the helmet discovered a couple of years ago.

Here is my little relic, and a video on the recovery of the helmet.

post-2687-0-31033600-1582439821_thumb.jpg

Well, it may not be an M1, but it is a helmet. Have a jelly baby and enjoy!

Mikie

It's been a little quiet around here lately. Hope everyone is well. I don't have anything military to report, so thought I'd keep things going with something completely different.

I've loved Doctor Who since catching my first episode back in 1978. So I was thrilled to have a chance recently to pick up a relic from an original 1967 Ice Warrior helmet. The small fragment was left over from the repair of the helmet discovered a couple of years ago.

Here is my little relic, and a video on the recovery of the helmet.

attachicon.gifIce Warrior small.jpg

Well, it may not be an M1, but it is a helmet. Have a jelly baby and enjoy!

Mikie

Cool!!!……….. ^_^

I've never been much into scifi myself although the Dr. Who series also aired in the Netherlands. First cinema film I ever saw was Star Wars. Must have been 1978 or 1979. Can't remember. And of course Star Trek. I watched most of these series and films but it never developed into anything 'serious'.

Rene

Hi Mikie, it's been quiet indeed. Thanks for your concerns. I'm still well. I've only been weathering out the third storm in succession over here. I've got some things lined up to post here. In about a week all will be revealed. So here's one from the archives, so to speak…..

A shot of the Waal bridge at Nijmegen Then and Now. In the Then shot it looks like a US soldier is using a 'liberated' a bicycle.

post-169612-0-21910800-1582466547_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-05668400-1582466561_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Mikie

Hi Mikie and everyone, apologies for it being quiet, I have been distracted with quite serious health worries of three older siblings, think it might be a tough year ahead . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 23 2020

General Apathy

Hi Mikie and everyone, apologies for it being quiet for a while around here. Today a local Dutch friend showed me this unusual fixture on a German barbed-wire stake, it is nothing like the local Normandy used ones I am familiar with, he recovered it from a field near Aachen Germany, reportedly the first German town ' liberated '.

.post-344-0-59246300-1582470128_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Mikie and everyone, the wire support has not been riveted as the ones I see here in Normandy, there is a central tab on either side which locates in a notch on either side of the post and bent around the rear of the stake .

.post-344-0-94715500-1582470396_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Mikie and everyone, this is the riveted wire support plate that is familiar to all the ones I see here in Normandy, I will obviously pay more attention to the stakes now that I am aware of the differences.

.post-344-0-16946500-1582470610_thumb.jpeg

Hi Mikie and everyone, apologies for it being quiet, I have been distracted with quite serious health worries of three older siblings, think it might be a tough year ahead . . . . .

Sad to hear this. If you ever need any moral support, let me know.

My wonderful wife Annie had surprise serious medical issue 2 weeks ago. But things are on the mend with her.

Word of advice to everyone. Be sure to check with your doctor if something seems a little off with how you feel. Even if it doesn't seem serious to you at the time. Annie waited a couple of months since it didn't seem too serious, but it turned out to be serious after all. My dear cousin had a similar experience a couple of months ago. I'm a natural worry wart. Sometimes it turns out with good reason. Take care everyone!

Mikie

Hi Mikie and everyone, apologies for it being quiet for a while around here. Today a local Dutch friend showed me this unusual fixture on a German barbed-wire stake, it is nothing like the local Normandy used ones I am familiar with, he recovered it from a field near Aachen Germany, reportedly the first German town ' liberated '.

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_42d0.jpeg

Sent

Hmmm...Wild guess, late war emergency low budget assembly technique? Those used in Normandy would have been from earlier in the war?

.Hi Mikie and everyone, apologies for it being quiet, I have been distracted with quite serious health worries of three older siblings, think it might be a tough year ahead . . . . .

Ken,

So sorry to hear about your siblings. You and your family are in my prayers.

...Kat

A shot of the Waal bridge at Nijmegen Then and Now. In the Then shot it looks like a US soldier is using a 'liberated' a bicycle.

Rene

Rene,

Great then and now pictures of the bridge. It still looks pretty much the same with a few minor changes.

...Kat

Hi Mikie and everyone, the wire support has not been riveted as the ones I see here in Normandy, there is a central tab on either side which locates in a notch on either side of the post and bent around the rear of the stake

Ken,

I wonder if the difference is just different manufacturers. Interesting though. Is it too rusted to see any hallmarks?

...Kat