Norman D. Landing

bilko1

+1

But in the unlikely event all efforts appear to be unsuccessful there's always this escape road

attachicon.gifjeep wall.jpg

Rene

Reminds me of the time my wonderful Mom almost did something like that with our station wagon and the back wall of the garage. Luckily my Dad built that garage well.

And that there was a wonderful restaurant in Forestport NY called The Buffalo Head Inn. Besides fantastic food, it featured a buffalo head mounted on the dinning room wall. When my kid sister was about 6 or 7, my brother and I had her almost convinced that the rest of the buffalo was on the other side of the wall. But she was too smart for us. We used to go there for the tasty Friday night fish fry special. That place had the best coleslaw I've ever had.

Mikie

General Apathy

I just read this fact that all military men and scientists working on the production of the atomic bombs during WWII had to report to Robert Oppenheimer's office at 109 E Place, Santa Fe, New Mexico before being driven forty miles or so out to the facility in the desert where they all worked. The building at that address today is a gift store with an attached historical marker recording the fact.

I wish I had had the opportunity to visit this portal into the nuclear age when I visited New Mexico some years ago.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31 2020

General Apathy

Reminds me of the time my wonderful Mom almost did something like that with our station wagon and the back wall of the garage. Luckily my Dad built that garage well.

And that there was a wonderful restaurant in Forestport NY called The Buffalo Head Inn. Besides fantastic food, it featured a buffalo head mounted on the dinning room wall. When my kid sister was about 6 or 7, my brother and I had her almost convinced that the rest of the buffalo was on the other side of the wall. But she was too smart for us. We used to go there for the tasty Friday night fish fry special. That place had the best coleslaw I've ever had.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, your story of your mother and the garage wall reminded me of a crazy stunt I pulled many years ago when I was a crazy Jeep jockey.

Back in my 20's I had been working on the Jeep brakes out on the drive when a bunch of friends and their girlfriends arrived as we were going somewhere together where I can't now recall. I said I would just put the Jeep away and get ready to go out, they were all stood around in a bunch talking. I started the Jeep and floored the accelerator as if my foot had slipped and it took off at speed into the small confined garage space just the size of the Jeep, I let out a wild scream as if I had lost control of it and immediately stood on the brakes and it stopped inch perfect in the allocated space without hitting anything, which caused a roar of laughter as they thought it had all been a true accident and not a prank I played on them.

General Apathy

Here's a surviving Renault FT-17 Tank in the Paris Army Museum, photo taken spring 2015

Hi Johan, pity that the tank in your photo is not facing the same way as in the photo I posted of Patton stood in front of the same model tank. I could have then claimed it as a ' Then & Now ' comparison and had you standing in there representing Patton . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Hi Ken, I don't want to go into the pros and cons of Brexit but yesterday I saw this message in the The Times of London. A nice sentiment in my opinion.

post-169612-0-73136700-1580586692_thumb.jpg

Rene

Sadly with each passing year we lose more of that awesome wartime generation . . . . . . . . . . .

Two days ago another of the few survivors from the UK's 1940 ' Battle of Britain ', Wing Commander Paul Farnes dies at the age of 101.

There are now only two recorded surviving members of ' the few ' . Interesting that in the official wartime quote shown below attributed to Winston Churchill that he signs the quote off as ' The Prime Minister ' rather than his own name not wishing to take away any of the glory from the RAF pilots.

Flight Lieutenant William Clark aged 100

Flying Officer John Hemingway 100

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3fd4.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 30 2020

Hi Ken, of all the extraordinary and beautiful items from your collection you showed us here over the years this one rates as one of my favourites. Not necessarily because of the Churchill connection but more so because it reminds me of a most crucial time in Britains' as well as Europe's history.

The Supermarine Spitfire is often associated with the Battle of Britain so I thought it fitting to add a picture of a Hawker Hurricane. A plane equally as(if not more) important as the Spitfire during that period. The picture was taken at the IWM Duxford.

post-169612-0-83881300-1580682547_thumb.jpg

Rene

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, pity that the tank in your photo is not facing the same way as in the photo I posted of Patton stood in front of the same model tank. I could have then claimed it as a ' Then & Now ' comparison and had you standing in there representing Patton . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Well, that was easy... :P

post-92-0-95263000-1580723707_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, great shot of you two and the tank . . . . . . . daughter looks beautiful :lol:

question, are you shrinking, you're becoming almost as short as your daughter now . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Thx, Ken... Well photo was taken nearly 5 years ago so Ellen has grown a couple of extra inches since, but doesn't look like she will outgrow me within the next few years…

She is getting smarter than me though…. LOL

General Apathy

Hi Ken, I don't want to go into the pros and cons of Brexit but yesterday I saw this message in the The Times of London. A nice sentiment in my opinion.

attachicon.gifSAM_8353aa.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, yes there has been centuries of ties between Britain and Normandy, not all amicable might I say, about ten miles from my house in Marigny is a monument to a battle in the fields there between the armies of England and France around 1540's.

However forgetting that, lots of us Brits here just state that we are only really returning to our ancestral homes of Normandy which our ancestors left in 1066 on a cruise to the UK, portrayed by the Norman tapestry housed in Bayeux.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 03 2020

.post-344-0-88922300-1580743465_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken, of all the extraordinary and beautiful items from your collection you showed us here over the years this one rates as one of my favourites. Not necessarily because of the Churchill connection but more so because it reminds me of a most crucial time in Britains' as well as Europe's history.

The Supermarine Spitfire is often associated with the Battle of Britain so I thought it fitting to add a picture of a Hawker Hurricane. A plane equally as(if not more) important as the Spitfire during that period. The picture was taken at the IWM Duxford.

attachicon.gifDSC_1191a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, if I recall correctly there were either more Hurricanes built in total, or more Hurricanes participated in the Battle of Britain than Spitfires I cant remember which.

General Apathy

Yea the Spitfire was sleek, graceful etc. but there is just something about the Hurricane that makes it my favorite.

Hi Sundance, without being too derogatory about the Hurricane it's looks make it appear that it was intended to be a bi-plane which they just didn't put the top wing on, otherwise it fought the good fight during the Battle of Britain and Britain needed then.

General Apathy

Thx, Ken... Well photo was taken nearly 5 years ago so Ellen has grown a couple of extra inches since, but doesn't look like she will outgrow me within the next few years…

She is getting smarter than me though…. LOL

Hi George, oops sorry I meant Johan, Ellen did confide in me last time we met that that there wasn't difficulty in achieving that :lol::lol: ^_^

General Apathy

Jeeping talks today, well email conversations . . . . . . .

swopping emails today with a UK friend Steve regarding Jeep spares we had gathered up over the years we agreed that the US Army also had storage problems connected to Jeep spares, and this Joe Dope character was used within the pages of late war Jeep manuals. This particular cartoon appeared in the February 1945 Ordnance Supply Catalog, ORD 9 SNL - G503, Truck, 1/4 Ton, 4 x 4 Command Reconnaissance.

back in the 1980's myself and friends referred to our Jeeps in UK rhyming slang as ' Donald Ducks ' as the Army called it a truck we rhymed it with duck. ^_^

.post-344-0-07159400-1580745119_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Watching Captain Corelli's Mandolin last night . . . . . . . . .

Last night I sat and watched Captain Corelli's Mandolin before going to bed, in the first few minutes I saw young men of the village playing a game almost like group leap frog, it rang a bell with me for a couple of reasons.

The first reason being that we played a very similar game to this at junior school, I have no idea from where or how we learnt it.

.post-344-0-04397900-1580773801_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

The second reason it interested me was it appears in a 1943 US Army Manual in my collection, ' Informal Games for soldiers '.

.post-344-0-18557100-1580774032_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

And here are the instructions from the manual, however for some reason our game was a little more complex and called ' Bug-a Warning ', the game has lingered in my mind from my school days I remember it being great fun and muscle building.

I suppose I have wondered if any of our teachers learnt this game whilst serving in the army and brought it post war into the school sports lessons.

.post-344-0-24265000-1580774346_thumb.jpeg

Last night I sat and watched Captain Corelli's Mandolin before going to bed, in the first few minutes I saw young men of the village playing a game almost like group leap frog, it rang a bell with me for a couple of reasons.

The first reason being that we played a very similar game to this at junior school, I have no idea from where or how we learnt it.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_40f2.jpeg

Hi Ken, maybe there's more to it then just horse play…….

post-169612-0-96388400-1580833648_thumb.jpg

Rene

And here are the instructions from the manual, however for some reason our game was a little more complex and called ' Bug-a Warning ', the game has lingered in my mind from my school days I remember it being great fun and muscle building.

I suppose I have wondered if any of our teachers learnt this game whilst serving in the army and brought it post war into the school sports lessons.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_40f3.jpeg

Brings back a painful memory of me playing with my dear daughter once when she was little. I was down on my hands and knees for some reason and she was up on the sofa. Yelling "horsey!", she jumped on my back like something out of a WWF match. I wan't expecting it and OUCH! Man did that HURT!

Hi Mikie, your story of your mother and the garage wall reminded me of a crazy stunt I pulled many years ago when I was a crazy Jeep jockey.

Back in my 20's I had been working on the Jeep brakes out on the drive when a bunch of friends and their girlfriends arrived as we were going somewhere together where I can't now recall. I said I would just put the Jeep away and get ready to go out, they were all stood around in a bunch talking. I started the Jeep and floored the accelerator as if my foot had slipped and it took off at speed into the small confined garage space just the size of the Jeep, I let out a wild scream as if I had lost control of it and immediately stood on the brakes and it stopped inch perfect in the allocated space without hitting anything, which caused a roar of laughter as they thought it had all been a true accident and not a prank I played on them.

Ha! If only there was a video of that!

Jeeping talks today, well email conversations . . . . . . .

swopping emails today with a UK friend Steve regarding Jeep spares we had gathered up over the years we agreed that the US Army also had storage problems connected to Jeep spares, and this Joe Dope character was used within the pages of late war Jeep manuals. This particular cartoon appeared in the February 1945 Ordnance Supply Catalog, ORD 9 SNL - G503, Truck, 1/4 Ton, 4 x 4 Command Reconnaissance.

back in the 1980's myself and friends referred to our Jeeps in UK rhyming slang as ' Donald Ducks ' as the Army called it a truck we rhymed it with duck. ^_^

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_40b9.jpeg

It looks like this Joe Dope guy has my system down pretty well.

General Apathy

Ha! If only there was a video of that!

Hi Mikie, sometimes wouldn't it just be great if there were video evidence of some of the events in our lives. Then other times you just wish that friends had never evidenced some of our stupidity . . . . . . . . . . . . but then they don't have evidence to keep refreshing the embarrassment . . . . . . . . . . :o

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 07 2020

I just read this fact that all military men and scientists working on the production of the atomic bombs during WWII had to report to Robert Oppenheimer's office at 109 E Place, Santa Fe, New Mexico before being driven forty miles or so out to the facility in the desert where they all worked. The building at that address today is a gift store with an attached historical marker recording the fact. 

I wish I had had the opportunity to visit this portal into the nuclear age when I visited New Mexico some years ago.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2020

I just spent a couple of months in the area and seen the building

It’s a very cool town

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Apathy

A great photo of soldiers of the 29th Division heading for invasion loading . . . . . . .
I think this is a great photo showing a section of the 29th Division heading for the ships and landing craft ready for the forthcoming invasion. What I find interesting is the amount of information enclosed in this image, for instance amongst sixteen men there are at least five bazooka's evident, along with the variety of canvas bags for the rockets, and other equipment carried.
This photo was taken at Trebah gardens Cornwall in June 1944.
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 07 2020

.post-344-0-17506800-1581289563.jpeg

It has taken me numerous attempts over four days to load this photo even though the file size was telling me it was 140KB and the forum limit is 250 KB. I have adjusted the image several times over those four days and finally managed to get it loaded at 134KB ?????????