Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Ken, great T&N shots again!

This Then shot made me laugh because of the casual stance of the villagers at the left: hands in pockets, all more or less the same hat on their heads…..

Rene

Hi Rene, another shot of the ' boys ' for you, still with hands in pockets . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 26 2020

.post-344-0-13846600-1580056725_thumb.jpg

Hi Rene, another shot of the ' boys ' for you, still with hands in pockets . . . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gifPhoto-libération-Grandcamp-Maisy-1944-17.jpg

:D , thanks Ken......it's probably me and I absolutely don't mean any disrespect here but (to me) this picture seems to possess a certain Pythonesque quality.......remember the Gumbys?

Rene

General Apathy

Barn find, just fifty years too late . . . . . . . . . .

Yesterday I went to visit Military Classic Vehicles a local military vehicle restorers at their new premises in Grandcamp Maisy. They started off in Carentan several years ago and have become well known for their detail to originality and work.

The premises are in three sections, the entrance foyer, the vehicle and parts storage and the workshops.

Stood in the foyer is a barn find Jeep, sadly found fifty years too late.

More photos of the facility to be added in next two days.

.post-344-0-29479700-1580075137_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-74299500-1580075169_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Appears to be a problem with one photo in the previous post, another attempt.

.post-344-0-15978800-1580075641_thumb.jpeg

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3f64.jpeg

That is a very cool find, and a perfect 'front of shop' display for them!

What is the stencil on the front windscreen? I cannot make it out? Fascinating!!

Cheers Graham

General Apathy

That is a very cool find, and a perfect 'front of shop' display for them!

What is the stencil on the front windscreen? I cannot make it out? Fascinating!!

Cheers Graham

Hi Graham, for Mike and I it was a very nice tour of the facility by Mattieu ( owner ), he spent about three quarters of an hour in detail and conversation about his operation, military vehicles, clothing and equipment in general terms, with both of us exchanging various information.

I will be visiting again shortly and will check out the stencilling on the windscreen panel and other details and lots more images to share here. Here is one of the current Sherman restorations, the hull is stripped of every part possible before restoration. In this photo you have the front drive section, an unissued gearbox still in cosmoline grease, a reconditioned engine and the tank hull at the rear. I think Mattieu said that he has ten Shermans for rebuild, there was evidence of three M-8 armoured cars under rebuild, a GMC, and a Jeep.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 27 2020

.post-344-0-24777700-1580122932_thumb.jpeg

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3f64.jpeg

That jeep may be a little rough, but it is in a lot better condition than this jeep. I came across this photo last week and you gave me a perfect time to post it.

post-2687-0-85495700-1580145030_thumb.jpg

post-2687-0-08393700-1580145053_thumb.jpg

Hope the guys in the jeep made it out OK.

Mikie

General Apathy

They are rebuilding 10 Sherman tanks for the Wheatcraft collection

Hi Johan, yes those are the ten Shermans I mentioned in the previous post above, Kevin Wheatcroft may well have the largest private collection of military vehicles in the world now.

I have attached this interesting link on M-4 Shermans http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_M4_Shermans.pdf

Hi Johan, yes those are the ten Shermans I mentioned in the previous post above, Kevin Wheatcroft may well have the largest private collection of military vehicles in the world now.

I have attached this interesting link on M-4 Shermans http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_M4_Shermans.pdf

Rebuilding 10 Shermans is mind bending to me. But then my mind is a bit bent anyway. But kidding aside, it's amazing. That's a process I'd love to see from start to finish.

Mikie

Johan Willaert

That jeep may be a little rough, but it is in a lot better condition than this jeep. I came across this photo last week and you gave me a perfect time to post it.

attachicon.gifblown up Jeep.jpg

attachicon.gifcaption.jpg

Mikie

that is a Navy Radio Jeep, either a NOM12 or MZ Model based on the Willys MB model

General Apathy

that is a Navy Radio Jeep, either a NOM12 or MZ Model based on the Willys MB model

Hi Johan, yes, here's an official photograph of a USN MZ radio Jeep awaiting shipment, notice all the radios on both wings are boxed for weather protection and between the two front seats.

.post-344-0-72136700-1580209434_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

attachicon.gifblown up Jeep.jpg

attachicon.gifcaption.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sad to see a Jeep in such a condition, can't save them all some say. Here's a set of Willys MB dash plates I was given by a guy that wrenched them off a wreck in a farm field back in the 1960's.

Another chappie I know took a Jeep to North Africa in the 60's, it broke down beyond a simple repair that could be made in such an isolated area so he had to abandon it and hitch back to the UK. He removed the dash plates and number plates and brought those back to the UK, there wasn't a very strict culture of vehicle record keeping back in the 60's, Jeep engines, chassis were often exchanged if necessary. An example of this was that in the 1960/70s the British licensing authority labelled all Jeeps and Land-Rovers together on each vehicle registration book, i.e. Make :- Jeep/Landrover. ???

We have always laughed when we looked at this on a Jeeps registration book as firstly it's two totally different companies, and also two different nationalities, we said would they ever consider mixing other vehicles Rolls-Royce/ Austin mini ????????. Not certain if Jeep/Land-Rover identification is still used for recently imported Jeeps, anyone know.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28 2020

.post-344-0-19473200-1580215968.jpeg

Ken,

You and Johan can rebuild her! You have the technology! You have the skills! Go for it!

...Kat

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . .

I captured a comparison shot to this one today while I was out motoring around ( Shhh don't tell Greta, I did this for forum members not for myself you understand ).

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 25 2020

.attachicon.gif 56e2468889be5ae53e4c65135c879ee5.jpg

Ken,

This one is very interesting. What kind of a gun is this on top of the bunker?

...Kat

Ken, Just getting caught up with all of the postings. Those are great "then and now" shots! Also, I wanted to echo what Kat said. You can save that jeep! We believe in you! A little paint, some bondo, and TA! DA! good as new. :)

Ken, Just getting caught up with all of the postings. Those are great "then and now" shots! Also, I wanted to echo what Kat said. You can save that jeep! We believe in you! A little paint, some bondo, and TA! DA! good as new. :)

+1

But in the unlikely event all efforts appear to be unsuccessful there's always this escape road

post-169612-0-09775800-1580316776_thumb.jpg

Rene

+1

But in the unlikely event all efforts appear to be unsuccessful there's always this escape road

Rene

Rene,

This is too cool!! Is this your house?

...Kat

General Apathy

Sadly with each passing year we lose more of that awesome wartime generation . . . . . . . . . . .

Two days ago another of the few survivors from the UK's 1940 ' Battle of Britain ', Wing Commander Paul Farnes dies at the age of 101.

There are now only two recorded surviving members of ' the few ' . Interesting that in the official wartime quote shown below attributed to Winston Churchill that he signs the quote off as ' The Prime Minister ' rather than his own name not wishing to take away any of the glory from the RAF pilots.

Flight Lieutenant William Clark aged 100

Flying Officer John Hemingway 100

.post-344-0-77565300-1580383944_thumb.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 30 2020

Simon Lerenfort

Ken,

...Kat

The turret is from a Renault FT17 tank.

General Apathy

Ken,

...Kat

Hi Kat, Simon has identified the French tank for you, and here's a shot of possibly the most famous American tank commander standing by the side of one of these tanks. It was the first tank in the world to have a fully rotating turret, the Germans captured many of these at the fall of France and used the turrets for defensive fortifications.

.post-344-0-27646400-1580387299_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Here's a surviving Renault FT-17 Tank in the Paris Army Museum, photo taken spring 2015

Hi Johan, great shot of you two and the tank . . . . . . . daughter looks beautiful :lol:

question, are you shrinking, you're becoming almost as short as your daughter now . . . . . . . . . ^_^