Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Rest in peace, mr. Terry Jones

Rene

Sad news. I'm having Spam Spam Spam Spam and Spam for dinner tonight in his honor. Crunchy Frog for dessert.

Mikie

General Apathy

Rest in peace, mr. Terry Jones

Rene

Hi Rene, Monty Python were world leaders in comedy in their day and bring happy memories back for many of us, sad news when our Peers pass away . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 23 2020

.post-344-0-32570500-1579768841_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox, Painted helmet . . . . . . . . . .

I have shown this helmet previously with the explanation that I bought it off a friend who had bought it and then sanded off the front and side insignia as he wanted a plain un-painted helmet, I bought it as it was the first Hawley liner helmet I had seen.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24 2020

.post-344-0-21886000-1579870009.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox, Painted helmet . . . . . . . . . .

I have shown this helmet previously with the explanation that I bought it off a friend who had bought it and then sanded off the front and side insignia as he wanted a plain un-painted helmet, I bought it as it was the first Hawley liner helmet I had seen.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_28e5.jpeg

Imagine my surprise at seeing an almost identically sanded Majors helmet in a video clip of soldiers in Coutances during 1944. The Major obviously wanted a plain helmet as well, however his reason for this would probably have been snipers not a desire for his collection. Note the Major has sanded both the front and side of his helmet.

.post-344-0-05467000-1579870399_thumb.jpeg

A period correct messed with Major's helmet, then :D. (Can't help noticing that the mug the helmet is resting on has the Dutch word for milk on it. Is it also perhaps messed with? ;))

Rene

General Apathy

Found me today . . . . . . . . .

I don't go out everyday looking for stuff, sometimes I drift into it just minding my own business, sometimes it comes to me such as these two US Wire Reels today . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-83501900-1579880093_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

A period correct messed with Major's helmet, then :D. (Can't help noticing that the mug the helmet is resting on has the Dutch word for milk on it. Is it also perhaps messed with? ;))

Rene

Hi Rene, I did that on purpose to see if you were paying attention . . . . . . . . . vintage piece I picked up in Bruge flea market a few years ago whilst visiting Johan . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Rene

Hi Rene, I don't know what you would call this in Dutch but its not a mug, it's like a small milk churn for carrying milk . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 25 2020

.post-344-0-60548000-1579908312.jpeg

Found me today . . . . . . . . .

I don't go out everyday looking for stuff, sometimes I drift into it just minding my own business, sometimes it comes to me such as these two US Wire Reels today . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_3f10.jpeg

It's that magnetic personality you have.

Imagine my surprise at seeing an almost identically sanded Majors helmet in a video clip of soldiers in Coutances during 1944. The Major obviously wanted a plain helmet as well, however his reason for this would probably have been snipers not a desire for his collection. Note the Major has sanded both the front and side of his helmet.

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_3eea.jpeg

That is an amazing coincidence!

Hi Rene, I don't know what you would call this in Dutch but its not a mug, it's like a small milk churn for carrying milk . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_3f27.jpeg

I think these were called milk jugs in the old days? But that was was waaaaaay before my time.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3f27.jpeg

Hi Ken, you're right. That's certainly not a mug. In Dutch we call this a 'melkkan'.

And I'll leave you with this quote to ponder over ;)

post-169612-0-45232600-1579939794.png

Rene

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3f27.jpeg

Speaking of mugs……………………..

https://www.jollychic.com/p/creative-grenade-ceramic-coffee-tea-cup-milk-juice-mug-funny-gift-g0xdx0xyb1s8b-x-k3-u-moo-73.html

Rene

Hi Ken, you're right. That's certainly not a mug. In Dutch we call this a 'melkkan'.

And I'll leave you with this quote to ponder over ;)

attachicon.gif Knipsel.PNG

Rene

My wonderful wife will attest that I have never grown up. Besides, beer on my corn flakes would be awful.

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . .

I captured a comparison shot to this one today while I was out motoring around ( Shhh don't tell Greta, I did this for forum members not for myself you understand ).

.post-344-0-33037600-1579961930_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

I captured this comparison shot today while I was out motoring around . . . . . . . . . . . all in a good cause you understand. :lol:

.post-344-0-70712100-1579962091_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

I captured a comparison shot to this one today while I was out motoring around. Note across the roadway between the left and right buildings there is the roof of a concrete defence bunker. Look behind the woman on the left and there is an American telephone wire reel like the ones I found a couple of days back in post #15832, above the woman on the wall is a cast iron plaque giving directions and distance to surrounding villages.

.post-344-0-32164700-1579963149_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

I captured a comparison shot to this one today while I was out motoring around. Note that the concrete bunker across the gap between the last and right building has been demolished post-war. The cast iron direction plaque is still on the wall above the store frontage.

.post-344-0-65775800-1579963440_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

I have knocked the color back on this image to have a closer comparison to the wartime shot two posts above.

.post-344-0-03392000-1579963653_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

The direction plaque thats still on the wall above the store front . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-67850900-1579963847.jpeg

Great detective work again Ken!

Just love the 'then and now' comparisons!

The wire reels are a neat find too; especially with original paint!

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers Graham

What a great way to start the day! A Normandy Then & Now! And then a second one! Thank you! It looks like the lady is holding a broom. But luckily there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of damage to clean up there.

I captured a comparison shot to this one today while I was out motoring around. Note across the roadway between the left and right buildings there is the roof of a concrete defence bunker. Look behind the woman on the left and there is an American telephone wire reel like the ones I found a couple of days back in post #15832, above the woman on the wall is a cast iron plaque giving directions and distance to surrounding villages.

.attachicon.gifPhoto-libération-Grandcamp-Maisy-1944-48.jpg

Hi Ken, great T&N shots again!

This Then shot made me laugh because of the casual stance of the villagers at the left: hands in pockets, all more or less the same hat on their heads…..

Rene