Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Rene

Great photos of the Waal Rail Bridge.Made me think of this helmet I have and if it could tell a story.This was picked up by a 508th PIR Captain I knew who was a surgeon with the unit..He had an aid station in Nijmegen and stated he found this helmet on the Bank of the Waal river.

post-342-0-64828200-1579196233_thumb.jpg

Local friends latest acquisition . . . . . . . . . .

Just received this photograph from a lucky local friend of his latest acquisition, C47 steps, ^_^

no detail so far of where, how or price he paid.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 16 2020

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3c70.jpeg

That is really great! Please let us know if you find out more about it.

This would fit in with my new years resolution to only get new things for the collection that I can justify as having some practical use around the house. Of course the resolution has been shamelessly violated already. But still, that would be a step up in my collection.

Mikie

Local friends latest acquisition . . . . . . . . . .

Just received this photograph from a lucky local friend of his latest acquisition, C47 steps, ^_^

no detail so far of where, how or price he paid.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 16 2020

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3c70.jpeg

Just saw Mikie used the pun I was going to use. Don't want to "step" on his toes!

Just saw Mikie used the pun I was going to use. Don't want to "step" on his toes!

Sorry about that. I'll climb off the puns for now and give you all a chance.

Mikie

General Apathy

Mikie

Hi Mikie & Erick, for once I'm going to step down from making any puns on this set of ladders . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 17 2020

General Apathy

local find identification . . . . . . . . .

Six months ago another friend locally recovered this piece from his land and being a WWII vehicle collector said that he had no idea what it was from as he didn't recognise it as being from any WWII vehicle he owned or knew of.

.post-344-0-90411400-1579274902.jpeg

General Apathy

local find identification . . . . . . . . .

Six months ago another friend locally recovered this piece from his land and being a WWII vehicle collector said that he had no idea what it was from as he didn't recognise it as being from any WWII vehicle he owned or knew of.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3c89.jpeg

So two weeks ago while watching a short wartime video of the landings here in Normandy I spotted a similar roller in use as part of a Bailey Bridge section, regarding dimensions it looks very similar in size and appearance..

.post-344-0-07462900-1579275268_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Today's gift . . . . . . . . . . .

Today I was offered this piece of German munitions from a house clearance, I turned it down as evidently it appeared live, there were no rifling marks on the copper band and the base end was still intact, I suggested that they contact the gendarmes or demolition team.

Before I stepped away from it I captured this photograph for the forum thread. . . . . . . it has the eagle stamp and date embossed on the copper band.

.post-344-0-40263100-1579275837.jpeg

Rene

Great photos of the Waal Rail Bridge.Made me think of this helmet I have and if it could tell a story.This was picked up by a 508th PIR Captain I knew who was a surgeon with the unit..He had an aid station in Nijmegen and stated he found this helmet on the Bank of the Waal river.

attachicon.gifBrithelm1.jpg

Now that is what I call a war relic! Fancy dress uniforms and shiny medals are all well and good, but this helmet and the story of where it came from is the kind of thing that really gets my attention. Thanks for showing it.

Mikie

So two weeks ago while watching a short wartime video of the landings here in Normandy I spotted a similar roller in use as part of a Bailey Bridge section, regarding dimensions it looks very similar in size and appearance..

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3c82.jpeg

That is a great find. And certainly a lot safer than the other find you just showed. Is there any waterway near where that roller was found that may have had a Bailey Bridge across it?

Mikie

Rene

attachicon.gifBrithelm1.jpg

Hi Ron, thanks for adding that great looking helmet. Is it perhaps ID'ed?

Rene

Today's gift . . . . . . . . . . .

Today I was offered this piece of German munitions from a house clearance, I turned it down as evidently it appeared live, there were no rifling marks on the copper band and the base end was still intact, I suggested that they contact the gendarmes or demolition team.

Before I stepped away from it I captured this photograph for the forum thread. . . . . . . it has the eagle stamp and date embossed on the copper band.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3c7e.jpeg

Hi Ken, why miss out on the chance of starting the New Year with a delayed bang...……... ^_^

Rene

Mikie

Its ok Mikie...we just need to "step" up our game as your quick on the stairs with the puns!

Hi Ron, thanks for adding that great looking helmet. Is it perhaps ID'ed?

Rene

Nothing I see for a name I recall.I haven't had it in hand for a while or looked over the liner well.

General Apathy

Speaking of Jeeps...Saw this image on line of the Enola Gay Crew on tour.(Getty Image)

attachicon.gifjeep.jpg

Hi Ron, thanks for the shots of the Enola Gay crew Jeeps, they appear to have been sprayed silver along the sides of the bodies and the wheel rims . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 20 2020

Out on a waddle after a way too big lunch on Saturday, I spotted this house with a historical marker with a couple of military history connections. The connections are a bit thin, but that is what I've got so am going with it.

post-2687-0-39955200-1579554015.jpg

In about 1872, the local German-American community built a social club on this site, the Santa Clara Verein. It was a popular location for festivals, parties, athletic events, plays, concerts and an outlet for some of the nearby German breweries.

All this came to an end with the start of World War I and the rise of anti-German sentiment during the war. The Verein closed here in 1917 but opened up again in the 1920s at a different location. The building was then used for a number of purposes. Here it is in about 1930.

post-2687-0-96467100-1579554078.jpg

In the 1950s-70s, the building was owned by the Handicapped War Veterans organization and was used by them as a thrift shop to raise funds for the vets. The building was sold and knocked down in the early 1990s.

So there you go. Not nearly as exciting as a Normandy or Venlo Then & Now, but as I said, it's all I've got.

By the way, the fried chicken sandwich and fries at the Hungry Hound in Santa Clara is delicious, and very big. I should have saved half for dinner, but it was too darned good. I also should have taken a picture, but I was too busy stuffing my face. Here is a pic off the web.

post-2687-0-09047000-1579554298.jpg

Mikie

General Apathy

Aerial location shot for crashed Horsa glider I posted in # 15782

Also seen in Simon Lerenforts images posted at #15796

Aerial shot of the spot that the glider crashed into the garden wall of the local hospital, another ten yards and it would have made a safe landing in the open fields beyond the garden wall. In this shot it's possible to see the fallen wall in the field outside the garden perimeter, compare also the same group of trees seen in one of the shots Simon posted.

.post-344-0-37254900-1579554447_thumb.jpeg

Aerial location shot for crashed Horsa glider I posted in # 15782

Also seen in Simon Lerenforts images posted at #15796

Aerial shot of the spot that the glider crashed into the garden wall of the local hospital, another ten yards and it would have made a safe landing in the open fields beyond the garden wall. In this shot it's possible to see the fallen wall in the field outside the garden perimeter, compare also the same group of trees seen in one of the shots Simon posted.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3e5b.jpeg

That make your original photo even sadder. So close.

Mikie

General Apathy

Just a sneak preview of things to come in the refurbished ‘War Building’...

A backdrop for the 29th WW2 timeline....

Hi Johan, your bedroom in the dog-house has come along with the new renovations . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 21 2020

General Apathy

That make your original photo even sadder. So close.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, here the southern half of the village, top left corner a crashed C-47 believed to be #42-92868, 313th TCG, and all survived having jumped before crashing in . . . . .

A Horsa glider mid photo, and a Waco bottom right corner.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 21 2020

.post-344-0-01105700-1579620880.jpeg

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3c82.jpeg

Great detective work Ken!

A fascinating piece of military engineering - very rare too!