Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Happy New Year, Ken and all...

Great shot of,Douglas’ Jeep...

Hi Johan, many thanks for the New Years greetings to myself and everyone . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

In return I wish you a very Happy New Year, and great Jeeping weather this year . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 05 2020.

General Apathy

A question on the logic of designing a hole at the bottom of a pocket . . . . . . . . . .

I am not a regular purchaser of lottery tickets but thought I would have a New Years bash at it . . . I purchased three lucky-dips on a single ticket I placed the ticket safely inside the deep internal pocket of my North Face jacket. Today I went to recover the ticket and check on-line for the winning numbers, only to discover the ticket was gone and then discovered a three inch open slot at the side of the pocket at the bottom, the logic of which escapes me, both pockets left and right side have this strange opening :dry:

Anyone have any idea for this strange design idea . . . . . . . . . . . :o I don't recall any instruction being issued with the jacket to alert a purchaser of the jacket to it or the reasons for it. :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 05 2020

.post-344-0-32922300-1578241819_thumb.jpeg

American Graffiti

Hi Ken,

so did you win? I guess you don't know if you don't find that ticket, which I hope you do.

My guess is that's not an internal pocket, or not meant to be used as such, but the pocket bag for an external pocket, and they've made the hole to stop 'stuff' accumulating at the bottom of it?? Does that make sense?

Anyway good luck with the elusive WONKA gold ticket ;-)

AG

A question on the logic of designing a hole at the bottom of a pocket . . . . . . . . . .

I am not a regular purchaser of lottery tickets but thought I would have a New Years bash at it . . . I purchased three lucky-dips on a single ticket I placed the ticket safely inside the deep internal pocket of my North Face jacket. Today I went to recover the ticket and check on-line for the winning numbers, only to discover the ticket was gone and then discovered a three inch open slot at the side of the pocket at the bottom, the logic of which escapes me, both pockets left and right side have this strange opening :dry:

Anyone have any idea for this strange design idea . . . . . . . . . . . :o I don't recall any instruction being issued with the jacket to alert a purchaser of the jacket to it or the reasons for it. :huh:

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_39d5.jpeg

Many years ago I worked at Trimble Navigation in the GIS and Mapping department. They had a few specialty jackets, hats and pouches with pockets to carry GPS equipment for field work. Some of the pockets had openings like that to run cables through.

One would think that they would put some kind of big warning on your jacket about the unpocketlike qualities of those pockets. It could have ruined the whole story if Frodo had worn it.

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_39d5.jpeg

Had to check my North Face jacket and guess what? Same strange opening. Luckily I don't use these pockets for small items. Beats me what these openings are there for. Certainly not for naughty bits.....(that's a bookmarker, by the way)

post-169612-0-10829900-1578252111_thumb.jpg

Rene

Johan Willaert

In return I wish you a very Happy New Year, and great Jeeping weather this year . . . . . . :lol:

Did get a Jeep out over the Holidays... Some nice days over here...

post-92-0-12454400-1578330997_thumb.jpg

Great picture! Looks like a beautiful day for a ride.

One question. What is that thing with the two clear panels on it right in back of the hood? I don't recall seeing that on a jeep around here.

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

so did you win? I guess you don't know if you don't find that ticket, which I hope you do.

My guess is that's not an internal pocket, or not meant to be used as such, but the pocket bag for an external pocket, and they've made the hole to stop 'stuff' accumulating at the bottom of it?? Does that make sense?

Anyway good luck with the elusive WONKA gold ticket ;-)

AG

Hi AG, well my neighbours wife tried to cheer me last night by saying that the main prize wasn't won on Friday so the loss is not so great . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 07 2020

General Apathy

Many years ago I worked at Trimble Navigation in the GIS and Mapping department. They had a few specialty jackets, hats and pouches with pockets to carry GPS equipment for field work. Some of the pockets had openings like that to run cables through.

One would think that they would put some kind of big warning on your jacket about the unpocketlike qualities of those pockets. It could have ruined the whole story if Frodo had worn it.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well I guessed at that idea that it would be for wires to pass through, however I would say ninety percent of buyers wouldn't want or need that option. My answer would be to move the opening up three inches so that there is at least a three inch safe area at the bottom, or even better fitting the opening with Velcro, so easy.

General Apathy

Had to check my North Face jacket and guess what? Same strange opening. Luckily I don't use these pockets for small items. Beats me what these openings are there for. Certainly not for naughty bits.....(that's a bookmarker, by the way)

attachicon.gifSAM_8202a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, well I am pleased that at the least my lose has alerted you and possibly other readers here to the fact that there is an opening at the bottom of the internal pockets . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Hi Johan, is that this years trend for Canadian vehicles, or is it a seventy-fifth anniversary paint scheme for your area, looking clean and tidy, have fun . . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

Well as I often do, here I am taking the thread off into a different direction . . . . . . .

This is an interesting nine minute documentary detailing how the Coca-Cola company survived the war years in Germany and Europe, and rebuilt by the American division of the company post war . . . . . . . . .

Johan Willaert

Great picture! Looks like a beautiful day for a ride.

One question. What is that thing with the two clear panels on it right in back of the hood? I don't recall seeing that on a jeep around here.

Mikie

No idea actually... It just pops up every now and then and then sometimes it isn't there... ;)

post-92-0-44171600-1578418311_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, is that this years trend for Canadian vehicles, or is it a seventy-fifth anniversary paint scheme for your area, looking clean and tidy, have fun . . . . . . . . ^_^

A Jeep we restored last year and marked up for the unit that liberated our region back in September 1944; the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry, Canadian 2nd Division...

Mine is still in bits and pieces...

General Apathy

Emailing with a UK Jeeping friend over the New Year . . . . . . .

I swopped several emails with a Jeep friend Mick over the last couple of days, the text below shows a question he asked me and my reply . . . . . . :excl:

Am I right in thinking that on one of the tours you had a crumpled back corner on the jeep where you had caught something???? Mick

Hi Mick, yes you're right, on my first trip to France predating Pete Greys MVCG tours I went with a friend in my Jeep.
Heading towards a narrow bridge which was my right-of-way an articulated truck came forcing his way through from the opposite direction and in the centre of the road. As we were heading towards one-another nose to nose with not enough distance left for braking and there being a building on the right-hand side of the road I had no choice but to veer to the left allowing him past. It was raining and my rear wheel caught the wet grass of the embankment sloping downwards from the road and the rear of the Jeep began sliding in that direction, it left me with a dilemma of sliding off down the bank and possibly turning over or putting on full power and steering into the skid. Which I did and we climbed back up the bank hitting the edge of the stone bridge on the rear panel of the Jeep which put me back into a straight line to pass across the bridge. I was perfectly happy with our survival and the outcome of the event however my passenger was a little fazed by the incident turned a little nasty, and threatened to hit me should I do that again . . . . . . . . . . . :lol::lol:
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 08 2020
( p.s. for those who remember forum friend ' Sabrejet ' it's his birthday today )

General Apathy

A Jeep we restored last year and marked up for the unit that liberated our region back in September 1944; the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry, Canadian 2nd Division...

Mine is still in bits and pieces...

Hi Johan, as your Jeep is still in bits and pieces did your wife ( C ) not buy you a new one for Christmas . . . . :lol:

I swopped several emails with a Jeep friend Mick over the last couple of days, the text below shows a question he asked me and my reply . . . . . . :excl:

Am I right in thinking that on one of the tours you had a crumpled back corner on the jeep where you had caught something???? Mick

Hi Mick, yes you're right, on my first trip to France predating Pete Greys MVCG tours I went with a friend in my Jeep.
Heading towards a narrow bridge which was my right-of-way an articulated truck came forcing his way through from the opposite direction and in the centre of the road. As we were heading towards one-another nose to nose with not enough distance left for braking and there being a building on the right-hand side of the road I had no choice but to veer to the left allowing him past. It was raining and my rear wheel caught the wet grass of the embankment sloping downwards from the road and the rear of the Jeep began sliding in that direction, it left me with a dilemma of sliding off down the bank and possibly turning over or putting on full power and steering into the skid. Which I did and we climbed back up the bank hitting the edge of the stone bridge on the rear panel of the Jeep which put me back into a straight line to pass across the bridge. I was perfectly happy with our survival and the outcome of the event however my passenger was a little fazed by the incident turned a little nasty, and threatened to hit me should I do that again . . . . . . . . . . . :lol::lol:
( p.s. for those who remember forum friend ' Sabrejet ' it's his birthday today )

Please pass along my birthday wishes to Mr. Sabrejet! He may not know who I am, but I've seen, enjoyed and learned from many of his past posts on the forum.

Mikie

Hi Ken, I'm sure this episode left your passenger a little 'skittish' ……...

Rene

Please pass along my birthday wishes to Mr. Sabrejet! He may not know who I am, but I've seen, enjoyed and learned from many of his past posts on the forum.

Mikie

Hi Ken, please pass along my congratulations as well. He may not now who I am either but I always enjoyed (and still do) his contributions and sense of humor/humour.

Rene

attachicon.gifSAM_8202a.jpg

Rene

A bookmarker? Sure. I don't think I want to know any more.

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Mikie & Rene, I forwarded your birthday greetings to Ian ( Sabrejet ) and here's his reply for you.

Wow! Thanks Ken, Can you please reply to them for me and thank them very much for their good wishes?

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 09 2020

.post-344-0-02800200-1578562785_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

I love the pictures and stories about all of your jeeps! Keep them coming!

...Kat

Hi Kat, well hopefully Johan might add some shots of the rebuild on his Jeep . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 09 2020