Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . . . today

On the way home today I passed the location of this tank scene and stopped to photograph it, I left a wider image of the scene so the Dentists home and surgery could be seen behind the entrance.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 29 2019.

.post-344-0-56862900-1577898306_thumb.jpeg

What a great way to start the year! A new Then & Now! And with a Sherman tank!

I can't wait to see what else we will have here in 2020!

Mikie

Happy New Year to everyone in this amazing thread!

Ken,

Great then and now pictures! My favorite part of this thread! Since you only got 4 hours of sleep, I am assuming you had a great time last night!

..Kat

Hi Mikie, for me probably steam cooked and lightly basted in butter is the complete dish. Others like cooking them with bacon bits, or bacon bits and walnut bits, others hate them with a passion in any form.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 18 2019.

I decided to make a pot of clean-out-the-fridge soup. While at the produce store i spotted some brussels sprouts so threw some in the pot. The soup came out pretty good, sprouts and all. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give them another try.

post-2687-0-41597800-1577946659_thumb.jpg

Mikie

I decided to make a pot of clean-out-the-fridge soup. While at the produce store i spotted some brussels sprouts so threw some in the pot. The soup came out pretty good, sprouts and all. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to give them another try.

attachicon.gifSoup.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, bon appétit……. not everyone is on the same page though, hahaha

post-169612-0-45861900-1577970837.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, bon appétit……. not everyone is on the same page though, hahaha

attachicon.gifnaamloosghga.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene & Mikie, with both of you referencing sprouts on the thread I just had an idea sprouting in my mind that I should cook a plateful of them now instead of hitting the cookie jar, wonderful, I didn't get my usual fill of them over the Christmas period.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 02 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, great T&N shot. Love the Sherman with the 'liberated' bicycle at the back and part of its wading stacks still attached.

Rene

Hi Rene, over the last month I have been trying to gather up new images to shoot comparisons when I have time, so there will be more, sometime.

General Apathy

Happy New Year to everyone in this amazing thread!

Ken,

Great then and now pictures! My favorite part of this thread! Since you only got 4 hours of sleep, I am assuming you had a great time last night!

..Kat

Hi Kat, thanks, it has been a pretty hectic Christmas and New Year period, and the fat lady hasn't sung yet . . . . . . . . :lol:

General Apathy

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

May it be a healthy, prosperous, and of course fun one for you all.

Hi Rusty, good to hear from you and thanks on behalf of everyone for your thoughts and we send them back to you and family. :lol:

General Apathy

Friend left his Jeep out in the rain . . . . . . . . . . it must have shrunk.

A UK friend sent me a shot of his Jeep on a public carpark at a museum he visited, we laughed at the size of the wartime Jeep compared now to modern cars, cars have really grown in size over the last two decades. Cars have grown but the parking lines haven't kept pace with that growth, it's a struggle to open the doors now with cars in the adjoining spaces. . . . .

.post-344-0-34723300-1577979062.jpeg

RustyCanteen

Hi Rusty, good to hear from you and thanks on behalf of everyone for your thoughts and we send them back to you and family. :lol:

Hi Ken,

Thank you!

2019 ended up being a 'busy' year, but hopefully 2020 bodes well for a more relaxed pace.

Regards,

RC

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . . .1944 - 2020.

Captured a comparison shot of this spot today, shown in the following post . . . . . . . . . . Note the number of soldiers crammed in the Jeep.

( I once managed thirteen, but that also included people on the front wings and sat above the grille ).

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 03 2019.

. post-344-0-83387000-1578062684_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Captured this comparison shot today, sadly the buildings on both sides of the photo are now abandoned and empty, hence the moss and mould growing over the unkempt walls.

.post-344-0-59715800-1578062868_thumb.jpeg

Captured this comparison shot today, sadly the buildings on both sides of the photo are now abandoned and empty, hence the moss and mould growing over the unkempt walls.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3980.jpeg

wonder if that's the same tree in the courtyard?

Friend left his Jeep out in the rain . . . . . . . . . . it must have shrunk.

A UK friend sent me a shot of his Jeep on a public carpark at a museum he visited, we laughed at the size of the wartime Jeep compared now to modern cars, cars have really grown in size over the last two decades. Cars have grown but the parking lines haven't kept pace with that growth, it's a struggle to open the doors now with cars in the adjoining spaces. . . . .

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_397b.jpeg

Whilst on the subject of shrunken Jeeps...…….. ^_^

post-169612-0-97062300-1578064317_thumb.jpg

(Photo WW2 Radio facebook page)

Rene

Captured a comparison shot of this spot today, shown in the following post . . . . . . . . . . Note the number of soldiers crammed in the Jeep.

( I once managed thirteen, but that also included people on the front wings and sat above the grille ).

. attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3983.jpeg

Probably an Uber driver...…...

Again a great T&N shot, Ken. Better get my act together this year ;)

Rene

Happy New Year, Ken and all...

Great shot of,Douglas Jeep...

Hi Johan, and happy 2020 to you.

I hope you were not insulted by my comments about Brussels sprouts. While I never cared much for them before, I promise to give them another try in the new year.

Mikie

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, and happy 2020 to you.

I hope you were not insulted by my comments about Brussels sprouts. While I never cared much for them before, I promise to give them another try in the new year.

Mikie

No, all is good...

I’m actually one of the few who likes them very much... I always get extras whenever they serve them in the messhall... LOL

As suggested, tonight I tried steaming some sprouts with a hint of oil, a dusting of Parmesan.(because I'm (Italian) , and little crumbled bacon (because it's BACON!). They came out quite tasty. I never liked them much before. Thanks all for the inspiration to give them another go.

post-2687-0-58212200-1578122100_thumb.jpg

To get in the militaria angle, I used my US Army mess kit fork. Plus, the things look a little like tiny hand grenades.

Bon appetit everyone!

Mikie

Lots of eatables recently posted here. This inspired me to post a drinkable single shot Then and Now picture :)

post-169612-0-53565400-1578234048_thumb.jpg

Of note: 1. bottles appear to be sturdier Then but contain less Cola (6 fl oz compared to 250 ml/roughly 8.4 fl oz) 2. The cardboard carrier is much flimsier Now.

Rene