Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Merry Christmas to you Ken and also to all participants, readers etc of this great thread/blog. And now for an appropriate thread picture ^_^

attachicon.gifSAM_7983a.jpg

Rene

Thank you Rene, a very clever card . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Ken

post-344-0-06240100-1577188988_thumb.jpeg

I looked all through your book, Ken, and all over the forum, and couldn't find anything about that helmet cover. It must be theater made?

Merry Christmas!

Mikie

I looked all through your book, Ken, and all over the forum, and couldn't find anything about that helmet cover. It must be theater made?

Merry Christmas!

Mikie

Mikie, that's the elusive airborne M2 Santa cover, seen here in action

post-169612-0-46582800-1577220195.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Christmas Day lunch . . . . . . . . . . .

Twelve of us got together for a lengthy lunch Christmas Day, fortunately there was a 24 hour break in the weather with a beautiful dry sunny day and I had an enjoyable ride there and back in the Jeep.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 26 2019.

.post-344-0-37198700-1577355062.jpeg

General Apathy

from the Shoebox photo album . . . . . . . . .

Heres an old shot of Pointe du Hoc in the days before it became a theme-park attraction and all fenced off. Stood just below the bunker -mouth is Colin my Jeep passenger at that time when it was possible to scale down the cliffs in front of the bunkers, notice the concrete steps in place at the time. Its not been possible for tourists to reach the cliff face for many years, we visited at a time when it was just abandoned bunkers and shell holes and had to walk through maize fields to reach that point, it wasn't on the tourist route.

.post-344-0-08830800-1577378248_thumb.jpeg

Twelve of us got together for a lengthy lunch Christmas Day, fortunately there was a 24 hour break in the weather with a beautiful dry sunny day and I had an enjoyable ride there and back in the Jeep.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_37d0.jpeg

Glad you had some nice sunshine and a good Christmas. Seeing that Jeep in the background made me wonder if you ever buy food at drive through windows in the Jeep. If so I guess you'd had some interesting reactions.

Mikie

My wife's cousin Cesar invited us up to have the traditional family Christmas Eve gathering at his place about 150 miles from home. Long drive with miserable traffic getting up there but smooth sailing coming back in the wee hours of Christmas morning.

My contribution to the feast was a turkey and fixings. That's me in the redish sweater carving up the bird.

post-2687-0-24270300-1577386686_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the stairway picture, it was a fair sized crowd.

post-2687-0-95361800-1577386718_thumb.jpg

Hope all your Christmases were merry and bright.

Mikie

Now THAT is the way to drive to dinner!!

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

...Kat

looks great. A little more fancy than mine

Heres an old shot of Pointe du Hoc in the days before it became a theme-park attraction and all fenced off. Stood just below the bunker -mouth is Colin my Jeep passenger at that time when it was possible to scale down the cliffs in front of the bunkers, notice the concrete steps in place at the time. Its not been possible for tourists to reach the cliff face for many years, we visited at a time when it was just abandoned bunkers and shell holes and had to walk through maize fields to reach that point, it wasn't on the tourist route.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_37e9.jpeg

That's so cool, did you ever find anything there?

General Apathy

Glad you had some nice sunshine and a good Christmas. Seeing that Jeep in the background made me wonder if you ever buy food at drive through windows in the Jeep. If so I guess you'd had some interesting reactions.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, hahhaaa drive through outlets haven't really hit Normandy yet, maybe in the large centres of Caen or Cherbourg but little between.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 27 2019.

General Apathy

My wife's cousin Cesar invited us up to have the traditional family Christmas Eve gathering at his place about 150 miles from home. Long drive with miserable traffic getting up there but smooth sailing coming back in the wee hours of Christmas morning.

My contribution to the feast was a turkey and fixings. That's me in the redish sweater carving up the bird.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, nice shots looks like you have a large contingent of relatives, looks like there was a large parcel of food on hand as well, Christmas Day looked good for you all.

General Apathy

Now THAT is the way to drive to dinner!!

I hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

...Kat

Hi Kat, a shot of Santa-Claus leaving the party . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-11458900-1577446859_thumb.jpeg

attachicon.gifCesars house carving turkey.jpg

attachicon.gifXmas stairway 2019.jpg

Mikie

Wow Mikie, I though hosting a dinner for 14 was a challenge! Looks like a great time!

Ken, Seeing photos like this makes me wish I had traveled to Normandy when it was easier to wander around and see the battlefields.

Beautiful looking setting! What is served at a traditional Christmas dinner in the Normandy region? Also, for New Year's are there any food traditions?

General Apathy

looks great. A little more fancy than mine

Hi Robert, in the photos you sent me it didn't look like there was any shortage of food on the table . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

That's so cool, did you ever find anything there?

Hi Recon, no we didn't dig for anything, we were just on a sight-seeing trip, next morning we left for Bastogne in the Jeep 650 Kilometres and spent several days in that area. We found some good surplus stores back then, one of the best being at Vielsalm everything they had was virtually WWII American stock, spoons to half-tracks.

Hi Ken coincidentally I was looking at pictures on the facebook page 'D-Day Overlord' and came across this picture showing erosion effects at Pointe du Hoc this year. I can't remember if you did rapport about this so for good measure I've added it here. Goes to show that nothing is forever...………….

post-169612-0-12953900-1577459068_thumb.jpg

Rene

Rene

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_37f6.jpeg

At face value Santa looks suitably 'refreshed' ……...just makes me wonder if he's in a fit enough state to drive :D

Rene

attachicon.gifCesars house carving turkey.jpg

attachicon.gifXmas stairway 2019.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, it looks like you all had a good time. That's also quite a fair sized house.....

Rene

Hi Ken, it seems there's no way escaping that Jeep, is there……………... ^_^

Rene

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. So now it's up towards the New Year. As a precaution I did stock up on some aspirins should the need arise…….. ^_^

post-169612-0-00457100-1577460314_thumb.jpg post-169612-0-15565500-1577460329_thumb.jpg

Rene

Thank you all for the Christmas Greetings . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks each of you for adding greetings to the thread, hope it's a healthy and safe Christmas and Happy New Year for each of you and loved ones . . . . . . .

ken xx

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_36f0.jpeg

I haven't been able to find one of those helmet covers, but did find this one.

post-2687-0-29675600-1577507530_thumb.jpg

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_37f6.jpeg

Oh that is GREAT! It's tied for First Place for Christmas Picture of the Year. The other is this picture of my niece's dogs.

post-2687-0-20588000-1577507848_thumb.jpg

Both pictures belong on Christmas cards!

Mikie