Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Ken,

That is a great looking gas can. I have always wanted one but have no idea what i would do with it other than be a door stop. ?

Kat

Hi Kat, the water-can which this one is has a larger opening lid sufficient to get your arm through. So rather than using as a doorstop stash your jewellery in there put it on the garage shelf and no-one would think to look in there, except oops I've told everyone now . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :mellow:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 28 2019

General Apathy

I had a chance to buy a 1943 British gas jerrican for $25 a few years ago. But like Kat, I have no room or use for it so passed. Neat item though.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, the British can is far more common in Normandy, they are at every flea market and antique store, never really found other than rusty relics, they are either corroded inside or holes in the bottom making them unusable, very hard to find in a condition to call collectable.

I have a couple that are good condition, I have one that has ' WATER ' stamped in the lower part with the date and ' WD ' towards the top. I have seen a British one that has ' USA ' stamped on the lower front, but not managed to find one for my own collection of cans. :(

Spot the mistake with the photo and description below. :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 29 2019.

.post-344-0-95302200-1575061415.jpg

General Apathy

December 1st today, Christmas is around the corner . . . . . . .

I was just laughing at the year that I arranged for everyone to send Warwick the same card, he said that by the time he opened the fourth or fifth he realised that every card would be exactly the same one. At the time I called in to see him he had sixteen on the wall, I think it eventually reached thirty or thirty-five. Fun days .

Eleven years now since he died, still miss the old bugger . . . . . . . . . . .

​For many years Warwick ran the race circuit at Thruxton in the UK, he later voluntarily ran the club shop for the UK military vehicle club ( M.V.C.G. / M.V.T. ). Warwick arranged for another friend Spike to paint the designs for six Christmas cards based on WWII military vehicles, most of the club members bought sets of the cards which gave me the idea to organise everyone to send Warwick the same card. Thruxton was a wartime British airfield and used throughout the war but played a major role during the invasion period in June 1944, post war it became a race circuit.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 01 2019.

.post-344-0-72081800-1575192941_thumb.jpeg

December 1st today, Christmas is around the corner . . . . . . .

I was just laughing at the year that I arranged for everyone to send Warwick the same card, he said that by the time he opened the fourth or fifth he realised that every card would be exactly the same one. At the time I called in to see him he had sixteen on the wall, I think it eventually reached thirty or thirty-five. Fun days .

Eleven years now since he died, still miss the old bugger . . . . . . . . . . .

​For many years Warwick ran the race circuit at Thruxton in the UK, he later voluntarily ran the club shop for the UK military vehicle club ( M.V.C.G. / M.V.T. ). Warwick arranged for another friend Spike to paint the designs for six Christmas cards based on WWII military vehicles, most of the club members bought sets of the cards which gave me the idea to organise everyone to send Warwick the same card. Thruxton was a wartime British airfield and used throughout the war but played a major role during the invasion period in June 1944, post war it became a race circuit.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 01 2019.

.attachicon.gif FullSizeRender.jpeg

Sent

Ha! Good one. He could paper his wall with them!

Reminds me of when Digikey Electronics used to send out print catalogs just as web ordering was catching on. Since I often ordered parts for them, all the engineers who didn't want their copies anymore would put theirs in my mail slot or pile them on my desk. We all thought it was pretty funny that I would end up with 20 or 30 copies of that darned catalog in a single day.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, you mention that you loved this low budget film and that you enjoyed it, I bet your printed shirt went down well. I had a friend Woff who loved low budget sci-fi films and when he died in 2008 I inherited about thirty original film posters from him, here are two of the titles I inherited 'Attack of the 50 foot woman ' ( 1958 ) and ' Attack of the Killer Tomatoes ' ( 1978 ).

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 16 2019

.attachicon.gif full.attackofthekillertomatoes_18948__14614.1556890336.jpg.jpeg

.attachicon.gif a_giant_among_men_01.jpeg

In yet another amazing coincidence, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman was shown on TV last night. I don't recall seeing it before, and it gets played soon after being mentioned here. All in all, not a very good movie. Compared to the expectations from seeing that poster, it came up a little bit short.

When Ken posts, the world follows.

Mikie

Hi everyone, today marks the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Blerick (part of Venlo and situated on the west bank of the river Maas). It was liberated by Scottish troops (part of the 15th Scottish Infantry Division). Today is also the date that my father's family got liberated 75 years ago. Unfortunately this didn't mean that all the action was over. Venlo (on the east bank of the river Maas) was still in German hands and subsequent shelling from both sides meant that it was still a dangerous place to be around. For this reason most of the population of Blerick had to be evacuated to safer places.

I will add some Then and Now shots and some pictures of a small commemoration I attended this evening.

post-169612-0-95653000-1575407613.jpg

post-169612-0-32040200-1575407786_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi everyone, today marks the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Blerick (part of Venlo and situated on the west bank of the river Maas). It was liberated by Scottish troops (part of the 15th Scottish Infantry Division). Today is also the date that my father's family got liberated 75 years ago. Unfortunately this didn't mean that all the action was over. Venlo (on the east bank of the river Maas) was still in German hands and subsequent shelling from both sides meant that it was still a dangerous place to be around. For this reason most of the population of Blerick had to be evacuated to safer places.

I will add some Then and Now shots and some pictures of a small commemoration I attended this evening.

attachicon.gifAntoniuslaan.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_6686 (2)a.jpg

Rene

continued

post-169612-0-76421900-1575408192.jpg

post-169612-0-76371700-1575408215_thumb.jpg

Rene

Rene

A nice touch at this evening's commemoration was the attendance of some bagpipe players.

post-169612-0-12246000-1575408720_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-82187300-1575408731_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-38463200-1575408746_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-96416500-1575408754_thumb.jpg

Rene

Rene

Congratulations on the Liberation. And more so on the reconstruction and return of freedom to your town and family. When you think about it, 75 years really isn't that long ago. It is vitally important that the memory of those years be kept alive.

You've posted some excellent Then and Nows.

Just as a side note, it was 30 years ago today that I gladly gave up my own freedom and married my wonderful wife Ana. In a life filled with dumb moves, it was easily the smartest thing I've ever done.

Mikie

Simon Lerenfort

Hi Robert, no I didn't grab it for the shoebox, however I know where they are should I reconsider . . . . . .

Instead I did grab this item for the shoebox today . . . . . . trying to get a full set of dates for the wartime period, it has some original paint and I have given it quick rub over with a piece of material and heating oil.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 24 2019

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2eb3.jpeg

Ah, that's where we all start, then before long it is every manufacturer as well as every year!

Nice one made by Schwelm, Westfalen by the way.

General Apathy

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . . .

I just added this pair of fairly rare enamelled insignia to a fellow members thread enquiring about 8th Airforce insignia. The thread can be found at this link here.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 06 2019.
.post-344-0-18496500-1575590955_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Rene

Hi Rene, many thanks, more great ' Then & Now ' from the Dutch Liberation perspective, I'm sure these will be enjoyed by fellow members.

General Apathy

In yet another amazing coincidence, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman was shown on TV last night. I don't recall seeing it before, and it gets played soon after being mentioned here. All in all, not a very good movie. Compared to the expectations from seeing that poster, it came up a little bit short.

When Ken posts, the world follows.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, women don't need to be 50 foot tall, I'm sure a lot of women five feet five inch tall are terrors enough for some men, or loves of their lives for others. :love: count me in the second bracket. . . . . . . . . :blush:

General Apathy

Ah, that's where we all start, then before long it is every manufacturer as well as every year!

Nice one made by Schwelm, Westfalen by the way.

Hi Simon, fully agree with you, however in regards to Jerricans just one of each year will be sufficient . . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, the British can is far more common in Normandy, they are at every flea market and antique store, never really found other than rusty relics, they are either corroded inside or holes in the bottom making them unusable, very hard to find in a condition to call collectable.

I have a couple that are good condition, I have one that has ' WATER ' stamped in the lower part with the date and ' WD ' towards the top. I have seen a British one that has ' USA ' stamped on the lower front, but not managed to find one for my own collection of cans. :(

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 29 2019.

.attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

hahhaaa, I see that so far no-one has volunteered a comment on the question I posed about the attached photo and caption I posted several days ago.

.post-344-0-48634300-1575591835.jpg

Hi Ken

Great photo of the 'Original German Blitz can'! I assume the nationality is the mistake? I must confess I didn't know about the 'air space' theory, but that seems wrong too??

Here is a super cool display of cans I saw in a shop window in Port-en-Bessin back in June.

Note the rare US Navy one on top!!

Cheers, Graham

post-20528-0-54857200-1575620918_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken

Great photo of the 'Original German Blitz can'! I assume the nationality is the mistake? I must confess I didn't know about the 'air space' theory, but that seems wrong too??

Here is a super cool display of cans I saw in a shop window in Port-en-Bessin back in June.

Note the rare US Navy one on top!!

Cheers, Graham

attachicon.gifP1050023.JPG

Hi Graham, well spotted on the USN can on the top shelf, never found one of those so far . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for having a crack at the Jerrican question, yes it is the nationality of the can against the description. What is shown is an American ' Blitz ' can but described as an ' original German can ' which of course it isn't. The German can looks nothing like an American can, the German and British copies were two halves which required gas welding around the complete centre line joining the two halves together. The American can was made completely differently without the use of the complicated welding of the two halves. However the American can was let down by the opening, it requires a pouring spout to be screwed into the outlet, whereas the German and British cans had a short extended throat which allowed pouring the contents to be easily made.

General Apathy

An excellent cartoon . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Wish I had thought of this one myself. :lol:

.post-344-0-00727300-1575633259_thumb.jpeg

Hi Mikie, women don't need to be 50 foot tall, I'm sure a lot of women five feet five inch tall are terrors enough for some men, or loves of their lives for others. :love: count me in the second bracket. . . . . . . . . :blush:

As I may have mentioned before, my wonderful wife Annie is about 5 feet 2 inches tall. And yes, she can be a terror. One of my secret nicknames for her came from the old Rumpole stories, "She Who Must Be Obeyed". At work they used to call her "The Little Dictator". I'm 6 feet tall and she claims the only reason she married me was that she wanted a husband who could reach the top shelves in the kitchen. But after 30 years, it's still all good.

Mikie

hahhaaa, I see that so far no-one has volunteered a comment on the question I posed about the attached photo and caption I posted several days ago.

.attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

I actually noticed the QMC stamp and wanted to verify what i was thinking. And then, as usually happens with me, I forgot all about it. Maybe it was Lend Lease to Germany?

Mikie

Hi Rene, many thanks, more great ' Then & Now ' from the Dutch Liberation perspective, I'm sure these will be enjoyed by fellow members.

I agree! Rene thank you so much for the great pictures!

..Kat