Norman D. Landing

bilko1

pre WWI 8 pocket pistol cartridge belt and canvas holster for 45 cal revolver. Each pocket held 6 rounds loose or in half moon clips. Can't say how very rare it is. Found it at a gun auction in a small town North of me

talked to Lewis and looked in Mills book. It's a model 1903 pistol cartridge belt and holster set. For a 38 long colt revolver. 6 loose round for each pocket

Being a busy party weekend then it slipped past that the thread added a Hundred Thousand hits to the total. . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

One Million, One Hundred Thousand Hits.

:o :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 09 2019.

.attachicon.gif photo 1.JPG

Congrats on the latest milestone!

That is a fantastic illustration. Love it!

General Apathy

The road to nowhere . . . . . . . . . . . . Normandy 2019.

A few posts back I mentioned that we have been having unprecedented amounts of rainfall, it wasn't raining at the moment that I took this photo but within ten minutes it came down like a tropical rainfall. During the winter when the naturally low laying fields flood then there are a number of roads that are above the level of the flooded fields, occasionally even these roads flood as they are doing now and as this one is..

During WWII American forces referred to these roads as causeways . . . . . . . . . . . just out of sight where the road ends in this photo in the flooded area is a bridge that the 508th captured ( its a modern post war bridge now ) its now under water presently and the road unusable..

.post-344-0-44043700-1573333812_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Congrats on the latest milestone!

That is a fantastic illustration. Love it!

Hi Mikie, thanks for the congratulations on the latest milestone and more to come . . . . . . . . . .

As you appreciate I have posted photos of blue denim army clothing, this is the front cover of the Saturday Evening Post for October 4 1941, which I have framed and on the wall. Denim pieces I sold back in May 2019 at auction in Caen.

.post-344-0-42748800-1573334235_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Out of the box of Hawaiian shirts . . . . . . . .

while searching for Hawaiian shirts for last weekends party ( seven days gone already ) I found this old tee shirt that the group I displayed with had printed mid 1980's for wearing during the set up of our Pershing display. I will have to try and locate some shots of that display and post later.

.post-344-0-56918600-1573334990_thumb.jpeg

Out of the box of Hawaiian shirts . . . . . . . .

while searching for Hawaiian shirts for last weekends party ( seven days gone already ) I found this old tee shirt that the group I displayed with had printed mid 1980's for wearing during the set up of our Pershing display. I will have to try and locate some shots of that display and post later.

. fullsizeoutput_2ccf.jpeg

Brilliant!

The road to nowhere . . . . . . . . . . . . Normandy 2019.

A few posts back I mentioned that we have been having unprecedented amounts of rainfall, it wasn't raining at the moment that I took this photo but within ten minutes it came down like a tropical rainfall. During the winter when the naturally low laying fields flood then there are a number of roads that are above the level of the flooded fields, occasionally even these roads flood as they are doing now and as this one is..

During WWII American forces referred to these roads as causeways . . . . . . . . . . . just out of sight where the road ends in this photo in the flooded area is a bridge that the 508th captured ( its a modern post war bridge now ) its now under water presently and the road unusable..

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_2cca.jpeg

We could have used a lot of that rain a couple of weeks ago. No wildfires close here, but there were over a thousand burning all over California. We had lots of smoky haze in the air. It made for some interesting sunrises and sunsets, but not worth the cost.

Stay above water, Ken!

General Apathy

Brilliant!

Hi Erick, one of our group Charlie was a graphic artist and he designed many of the painted signboards and tee shirts we used in our displays, we tried for a different period or service each year. I would say the hardest display we did was a SeaBees display shipping in twenty ton of sand, hiring real palm trees and filling several hundred sandbags.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 10 2019

.post-344-0-70007700-1573371860.jpeg

General Apathy

We could have used a lot of that rain a couple of weeks ago. No wildfires close here, but there were over a thousand burning all over California. We had lots of smoky haze in the air. It made for some interesting sunrises and sunsets, but not worth the cost.

Stay above water, Ken!

Hi Mikie, thanks, I forgot to mention a little bit of the California fires were brought home to friends and myself about a month ago. We were having coffee outside a cafe' with our Jeeps parked nearby, a tall slim American stopped to chat with us realising we were the owners of the Jeeps nearby.

He started with that he was a Jeep owner, he had a house in California, he showed us photos on his phone of a burnt out ruin, stood in the garage were the remains of a Jeep, the axles stood on the rims of the burnt tire ( tyres ) the bent in the middle like a banana due to the excessive heat.

It's heartbreaking seeing these fires on television raging through communities, property, people and animals . . . . . . . . . .

Johan Willaert

As you appreciate I have posted photos of blue denim army clothing, this is the front cover of the Saturday Evening Post for October 4 1941, which I have framed and on the wall. Denim pieces I sold back in May 2019 at auction in Caen.

I like those denims....

Ken,

Your party looks like it was so much fun! You sure know how to have a good time!

Amazing the bridge is flooded. You have been having some rain! I hope everyone stays high and dry!

...Kat

Hi Erick, one of our group Charlie was a graphic artist and he designed many of the painted signboards and tee shirts we used in our displays, we tried for a different period or service each year. I would say the hardest display we did was a SeaBees display shipping in twenty ton of sand, hiring real palm trees and filling several hundred sandbags.

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_212.jpeg

20 tons of sand! Palm trees! Son of a beach!

General Apathy

1914 - 1918

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

we will remember them.

.post-344-0-46328000-1573462115_thumb.jpeg

1939 - 1945

General Apathy

I forgot to add the significance of adding this post today, today is the 11th of November the end of World War One.

This morning I attended the remembrance service at my village church, where the names of all WWI villagers who died in WWI are read out and the words ' Mort pour France ' said after each name. I attended a second service in the village of Houesville, WWI banners in the village hall.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 11 2019. ( The guns fell silent 11th November 1918 )

.post-344-0-39954300-1573484011_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

I like those denims....

Hi Johan, yes our shared love of the WWII American historical period that these denims represent. . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 11 2019

General Apathy

Ken,

Your party looks like it was so much fun! You sure know how to have a good time!

Amazing the bridge is flooded. You have been having some rain! I hope everyone stays high and dry!

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks it was so nice to have so many friends at the party, it would have been nice to have had so many more but there was a lack of accommodation for them.

I have been out in the Jeep today and more rain fell, I was one wet Lewis when I got home, but one happy Jeeping Lewis . . . . . . . . . . . B)

Last week my daughter and future husband were here I took them out in the Jeep and negotiated some very muddy tracks, water and mud flying everywhere, afterwards Robbie said that he wanted a Jeep, I said that you have to be capable of restoring and repairing a Jeep and he replied with ' I have you ' . . . . . . . . ???

.post-344-0-53167600-1573484686_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

20 tons of sand! Palm trees! Son of a beach!

Hi Mikie, life's a beach ( well it is if the suns shining ) . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Hi Kat, thanks it was so nice to have so many friends at the party, it would have been nice to have had so many more but there was a lack of accommodation for them.

I have been out in the Jeep today and more rain fell, I was one wet Lewis when I got home, but one happy Jeeping Lewis . . . . . . . . . . . B)

Last week my daughter and future husband were here I took them out in the Jeep and negotiated some very muddy tracks, water and mud flying everywhere, afterwards Robbie said that he wanted a Jeep, I said that you have to be capable of restoring and repairing a Jeep and he replied with ' I have you ' . . . . . . . . ???

Too funny about "having you"! What else does any jeep owner need??

Sorry for all of the rain. Is it getting cold enough to turn into snow soon?

Thank you for sharing your remembrance stories. Very nice!!

...Kat

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2cf3.jpeg

:D, you have a smart future son in law........

Rene

Hi Mikie, life's a beach ( well it is if the suns shining ) . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Well, you both never seas to amaze me with your ready available puns.........it seems, for all intents and porpoises, you both have been blessed (or cursed ^_^) with a puntastic gift.....

Rene

General Apathy

Jumping Jeeps 1943 . . . . . . . . . . . . .short video.

enjoy

General Apathy

Jeep Chasing 1951 . . . . . . . . . . . . Short Video

Enjoy.

General Apathy

Too funny about "having you"! What else does any jeep owner need??

Sorry for all of the rain. Is it getting cold enough to turn into snow soon?

Thank you for sharing your remembrance stories. Very nice!!

...Kat

Hi Kat, as always thanks for the feedback, the encouragement is much appreciated. . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

Well, you both never seas to amaze me with your ready available puns.........it seems, for all intents and porpoises, you both have been blessed (or cursed ^_^) with a puntastic gift.....

Rene

Hi Rene, I pun you not . . . . . .

but while surfing this thread its easy to sea that the sands of time drift away so quickly, and sometimes its difficult to sea over the horizon and fore-sea the future before its time to wave goodnight as it's shore time for bed . . . . . . . . :lol: or fore-shore I will be tide tomorrow and floating around all day :lol:

It's a good job I do this for free and don't get paid for it or I would be sunk. ! !

General Apathy

Hey she's a WOW, ( Women Ordnance Worker ) . . . . . . .

An interesting side to WWII are the ladies that took up factory jobs when their husbands, boyfriends, brothers or sons went off to war, they were mostly termed as Women Ordnance Workers ( WOW's ). Here's an interesting read at the link below.

https://www.rockwell-center.org/essays-illustration/shes-a-wow/

The attached photo shows five such WOW workers having time off, possibly lunchtime at the local fair ground, the three ladies on the right have factory identification badges attached to their clothing . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-41461300-1573516017_thumb.jpeg