Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Would just like to echo Ken's comments, both to thank Rene for his posts, which helped with my families Operation Market Garden visit to the Netherlands this year and also the remembrance of the veterans.

In that respect I cannot recommend this tribute enough (hope it is not unreasonable to post given it isn't actually US veterans) - https://arnhemboys.com - which was present as installation at the Hotel Hartenstein.

I had the great pleasure of a chatting briefly with Canadian C-47 pilot Lloyd Bentley during the 70th Commemorations in 2014 and this 75th Commemoration I was honoured to have a chance encounter with Tad Cisek of the 1st Polish Independent Parachute Brigade, who happened to be staying in the same hotel. I even met Glider Pilot Frank Ashleigh, although back in the UK the day after my wedding back in June this year. All wonderful gentleman and this is such a fine and fitting tribute to all these old boys - May we never forget them.

Cheers......John

Hi John, many thanks for you're lengthy post relating to the Market Garden operation and you're families involvement .

Thanks also for the Arnhemboys link, interesting to see. Also a lasting memory of some of the men that took part in the fight at Arnhem and the Liberation of Holland.

I remember thirty years ago when there were still many veterans still visiting each September that a few of them said that they couldn't understand the sight of younger men dressed in Dennison smocks and uniform taking part in the commemorations. However as their numbers dwindled over the years they then said that they were grateful that these younger people in the uniforms would be keeping their memory alive when the last of them had finally gone.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 30 2019.

General Apathy

Fought in three wars . . . . . . . . . . Boer War, WWI, WWII

I thought a few members might like to read this man's exploits after looking at his medal collection, including first on the left the British Victoria Cross.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30685433

.post-344-0-47935700-1569878314_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken, many thanks for your kind words. There was so much going on around here with regards to the 75th liberation anniversary it was quite difficult to chose what to report and still keep a daytime job going ^_^.

To put things in perspective I've added a map that shows (very crudely in black lines) the parts of The Netherlands that were more or less liberated at this point in time 75 years ago. I deliberately say more or less because the Market Garden corridor was under constant threat of the Germans. Nijmegen became a front line city for quite some time. Cities like Roermond and Venlo had to wait until march 1945 before they were liberated.

I wholehaertedly agree with your remark about the veterans to who we owe so much. It should never be forgotten.

Rene

Hi Rene, I would like to offer sincere thanks for taking over the thread and giving all your time and effort to give us all the memorable posts, images and Then & Nows covering these 75th anniversary commemorations in Holland. :lol:

Two local friends took their Jeeps to the anniversary, Peter told me that there were four hundred vehicles in the convoy he joined. I also heard of three lads who drove their Jeep all the way from Cornwall in the west of the UK to Arnhem in Holland a distance of some 590 land miles each way.. ^_^

General Apathy

:P , I have my reasons . . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Back to the forum, apologies so many off-forum chores in the last few days . . . . . . . . . . .

in the few hours I have had spare of an evening I have been sharing a few posts with fellow forum member AZPhil regarding his aunt's wartime uniforms which he is trying to research for his family history. Hope members take a look, he has a nice archive of his aunts wartime photographs, a varied selection of uniform in the photos.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 03 2019.

Hi Rene, I would like to offer sincere thanks for taking over the thread and giving all your time and effort to give us all the memorable posts, images and Then & Nows covering these 75th anniversary commemorations in Holland. :lol:

Two local friends took their Jeeps to the anniversary, Peter told me that there were four hundred vehicles in the convoy he joined. I also heard of three lads who drove their Jeep all the way from Cornwall in the west of the UK to Arnhem in Holland a distance of some 590 land miles each way.. ^_^

Thanks, Ken!

There was some discord between two groups of vehicles attending several commemorations. One of the groups wanted to portray the ground forces (XXX corps) more accurately i.e. predominantly British vehicles while the other group consisted of a mix of British and US vehicles. The intention was to put both groups together but as far as I know this did not happen. A bit of a shame I think. The pictures from Eindhoven are of the mixed group. And while standing on the bridge in Nijmegen I believe several vehicles of the British (XXX corps) group passed by. Thanks to a tap on my shoulder from my girlfriend I saw some vehicles pass by, otherwise I would have been completely oblivious to this Scammel tank transporter. :o

post-169612-0-65804500-1570117551_thumb.jpg

Rene

:P , I have my reasons . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Ken, I'm sure you do but I don't quite follow...………………... :blink:

Rene

Hi everyone, another Then and Now from Nijmegen. Obviously the shot is taken at a quiter moment. Unfortunately I don't know who this paratrooper is.

post-169612-0-51952400-1570118123_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-29788600-1570118146_thumb.jpg

Rene

Fought in three wars . . . . . . . . . . Boer War, WWI, WWII

I thought a few members might like to read this man's exploits after looking at his medal collection, including first on the left the British Victoria Cross.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30685433

.attachicon.gif _80070954_medals.jpg

Wow! What an incredible life.

Mikie

Hi everyone, another Then and Now from Nijmegen. Obviously the shot is taken at a quiter moment. Unfortunately I don't know who this paratrooper is.

attachicon.gif Nijmegen road bridge.jpg

attachicon.gif DSC_6488 (2).jpg

Rene

Sent

Another winner, Rene.

I've been enjoying your posts very much.

Don't know about you, but I feel honored to post my small contributions here and give Ken a breather once in a while. Just wish I had more interesting things to share.

Mikie

General Apathy

German mortar rounds found at Utah beach . . . . . . . . . . . .

October 3rd roadway repair men discovered these German mortar rounds making repairs to the beach area at Ravenoville plage, they went on to discover 73 in total . . . . . . . . . only a few weeks back I visited a street flea market at Ravenoville plage. Its the same place that I spotted the 1943 British trash can ( dust-bin ) for sale that I posted photos of here a few weeks ago.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 05 2019.

.post-344-0-67423300-1570273331.jpeg

General Apathy

our road repair guys only find big rocks

Robert, I would be jealous of them if it was Elizabeth Taylors rocks they were finding . . . . . :lol:

( for those members too young, rocks is another term for gems )

Richard Burton husband of Elizabeth Taylor had previously been the underbidder when jeweller Cartier bought the diamond at auction for $1,050,000, setting a record price for a publicly sold jewel. :o

Love the picture of the soldier at the Nijmegen Bridge. I can't look at a picture like that without wondering whether that soldier got home and whether, by chance, he may still be with us.

General Apathy

German mortar rounds found at Utah beach . . . . . . . . . . . .

October 3rd roadway repair men discovered these German mortar rounds making repairs to the beach area at Ravenoville plage, they went on to discover 73 in total . . . . . . . . . only a few weeks back I visited a street flea market at Ravenoville plage. Its the same place that I spotted the 1943 British trash can ( dust-bin ) for sale that I posted photos of here a few weeks ago.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_27a6.jpeg

Another shot showing the location of the Mortar finds at Ravenoville Plate right beside the religious figure for the protection of sailors.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 06 2019.

.post-344-0-46416900-1570373758_thumb.jpg

Another shot showing the location of the Mortar finds at Ravenoville Plate right beside the religious figure for the protection of sailors.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 06 2019.

.attachicon.gifimage3.JPG

Hi Ken, I admire your photograpic skills...….to capture that religious figure inside the arc of the excavator arm is very well executed ^_^ .

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, I admire your photograpic skills...….to capture that religious figure inside the arc of the excavator arm is very well executed ^_^ .

Rene

Rene, many thanks for the compliment, I cannot tell you how long it took to drag and pull that stone figure into position under the arch of the excavator . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 10 2019.

Rene, many thanks for the compliment, I cannot tell you how long it took to drag and pull that stone figure into position under the arch of the excavator . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Ha!! I've been miserable with bad allergy problems for a couple of weeks now. But it is true! Laughter is the best medicine! You just filled my prescription very nicely!

Mikie

General Apathy

Unusual photos of wartime vehicles . . . . . . . . . .

all my collecting life and military vehicles and Jeep ownership I have liked the odd and unusual, and this includes photos of the vehicles . . . . . . heres an early Ford built amphibious Jeep ( GPA model ), note that the sheet metal work is all flat and not yet changed to pressed channeling to strengthen and reduce vibration in the panel. Also note the Ford logo stamped into the side above and to the front of the front wheel. The driver and passengers all have on the HBT Daisy Mae cap and black neckties..

.post-344-0-63988200-1570744021_thumb.jpeg

post-344-0-15963600-1570744063_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Unusual photos of wartime vehicles . . . . . . . . . .

all my collecting life and military vehicles and Jeep ownership I have liked the odd and unusual, and this includes photos of converted vehicles . . . . .

Here's a British forces modified WWII Jeep, appears to be a mid-war Willys, the jeep body lengthened and a rounded canvas roof and doors added and two aerial bases on the roof for radio communications.

Wonder who will be first to have a copy one at a vehicle show . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

.post-344-0-95917000-1570744750_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Mofied Jeep is Canadian Army, note CM hood number

Somewhere I have a color photos of same Jeep used by a Canadian Officer…

Furthermore looking at the rear springs, it is most likely a Ford GPW...

General Apathy

Mofied Jeep is Canadian Army, note CM hood number

Somewhere I have a color photos of same Jeep used by a Canadian Officer…

Furthermore looking at the rear springs, it is most likely a Ford GPW...

Hi Johan, thanks for adding comment I would like to see the color image if you find it. ;)

I saw the rear spring and thought Ford, however it has a black wheel, and no support spring under the front spring, and none-split rims so I plumped for Willys.

Also thought Canadian as it appears it might have two ring mounts on the front bumper.

Also note it has trafficator arms mounted above the rear view mirror ??

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, thanks for adding comment I would like to see the color image if you find it. ;)

I saw the rear spring and thought Ford, however it has a black wheel, and no support spring under the front spring, and none-split rims so I plumped for Willys.

Yes, Willys indeed....

Frame is clearly Willys and even if very early Fords were delivered on Willys style frames, all GPWs were delivered with a glove box and fire extinguisher on the driver's side and this MB shows the mounting screws for the FE on the passenger side which was only the case for MB wihout glove box...

post-92-0-05866000-1570819802_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Yes, Willys indeed....

Frame is clearly Willys and even if very early Fords were delivered on Willys style frames, all GPWs were delivered with a glove box and fire extinguisher on the driver's side and this MB shows the mounting screws for the FE on the passenger side which was only the case for MB wihout glove box...

Hi Johan, thanks a great shot, lots of detail to be seen.

And the same Jeep again from another angle showing Major-General Worthington of the Canadian 4th Armored division.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 12 2019.

.post-344-0-17947300-1570894230_thumb.jpg

post-344-0-17947300-1570894230_thumb.jpg