Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Ken,

Great jeep pictures! Your knowledge of jeeps, end!ess supply of pictures and endless supply of original parts is amazing!

Rene,

I truly love your "then and now" pictures. I also love your pictures of the celebration. And a huge thank you to your "shout out" to the women during WWII. The Rosie the Riveters were amazing women.

...Kat

Before the arrival of the US troops the Germans for the most part succeeded in blowing up the bridges spanning the river Maas. In the next Then shot you can see the destroyed Wilhelmina bridge. This bridge was for the most part build from stone. That part was gone except for some damaged pillars. What you see in the background is the metal section that was also part of the bridge and was build to make it possible for more modern day shipping to pass the bridge.

attachicon.gif9.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_6362 (2)a.jpg

Rene

I had a close friend that jumped in and was wounded attempting to capture this bridge

correction. My friend was attempting to take the bridge over the Wilheimina canal. He was part of a famous bayonet charge. He was wounded by a mortar hit by Germans on a counter attack. After recovering he rejoined his unit in time for the Battle of the Bulge

For a better understanding I will include a map where you can see that a large part of Maastricht is situated on a sort of island hemmed in between the river Maas and the Albert Canal. The 120th IR of the 30th division was able to cross the Albert Canal at the Eben Emael fort in Belgium and proceeded North. This regiment was able to approach Maastricht from the West. The 117th IR however was stuck on the east side because of the destroyed bridges. Early in the morning of the 14th september F co. of the 117th crossed the Maas river in little boats. Later on a pontoon bridge was build at this spot.

post-169612-0-64869300-1568551341_thumb.jpg

Rene

At the spot of the crossing you can find a memorial today dedicated to the 30th Infantry Division. At the time I was there they were just finished cleaning it with a jet wash.

First a shot of the pontoon bridge

post-169612-0-61119600-1568551979.jpg

The 'Old Hickory' momument at the spot of the crossing

post-169612-0-98907300-1568552018_thumb.jpg

Detail shot

post-169612-0-81201600-1568552046_thumb.jpg

Rene

post-169612-0-50827400-1568647937_thumb.jpgBack to the Then and Nows from Maastricht. (If it is becoming too much, please let me know... ^_^ )

Prisoners on the Vrijthof in front of the Hoofdwacht building. I don't know how to exactly translate this into English but the origins of the buidling date back to 1736. It had a military function and housed amongst others the garrison commander and court martial. Today people can get married there.

post-169612-0-50827400-1568647937_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-86705200-1568647996_thumb.jpg

Rene

Last one for today shows GI's at the Onze Lieve Vrouwe plein (Our Lady square; I don't know if that's the appropriate translation but it has a religious connotation).

It looks like the GI on the left attached a rifle grenade to his M1.

post-169612-0-17659800-1568650259.jpg

post-169612-0-62776200-1568650285_thumb.jpg

Rene

Back to the Then and Nows from Maastricht. (If it is becoming too much, please let me know... ^_^ )

Rene

Rene,

These are wonderful!! Thanks for taking the time to share these pictures with us! Keep them coming!!

Kat

I agree, I'll never get enough then and now shots. You just wonder how many of the current residents have any idea of what went on in their towns 75 or so years ago and by whom.

Thanks all for your support :)

Two more from Maastricht.

First up a GI welcomed by the population of Maastricht. I think he's from the 120th IR because he is walking towards the city centre from the West.

post-169612-0-84293400-1568732529.jpg

post-169612-0-69115400-1568732654.jpg

Rene

Here's the St. Servaasbridge (the Old Bridge) after repairs by US engineers.

post-169612-0-65333400-1568732990_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-60015100-1568733027_thumb.jpg

On the bridge you can find a plaque dedicated to the 3oth Infantry Division.

post-169612-0-68736800-1568733153_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Ken,

Great jeep pictures! Your knowledge of jeeps, end!ess supply of pictures and endless supply of original parts is amazing!

Rene,

I truly love your "then and now" pictures. I also love your pictures of the celebration. And a huge thank you to your "shout out" to the women during WWII. The Rosie the Riveters were amazing women.

...Kat

Hi Kat,

once again thanks for you complimentary post, always pleased to hear of your enjoyment reading the posts. . . . . . ^_^

Rene.

echoing Kat's comment regarding your photographs and posts of the 75th anniversary in Holland well done, I am refraining from posting until you complete your reports from Holland regarding the celebrations, that will help keep all your photos and posts more tightly together on the thread rather than dispersed with unassociated posts breaking your reports up. We are all enjoying the images .

I am pleased to say that when members of the 2nd armoured in Europe group visited Maastricht in 2009 it was a super visit with the town centre brought to a standstill for us to park up and allow townspeople to look at the vehicles and have conversations with participants. On that trip we also took the time to visit Eben-Emael fort and the Siegfried line.

Danke Je Wel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 18 2019.

Travelling up to Holland with the family tomorrow, but will be headed for the British Airborne Operation Market Garden sector to pay our respects to a family member at rest in Oosterbeek CWGC cemetery.

Safe travels to all and hope you have enjoyable visits during the commemoration period.

Cheers......John

Hi Kat,

once again thanks for you complimentary post, always pleased to hear of your enjoyment reading the posts. . . . . . ^_^

Rene.

echoing Kat's comment regarding your photographs and posts of the 75th anniversary in Holland well done, I am refraining from posting until you complete your reports from Holland regarding the celebrations, that will help keep all your photos and posts more tightly together on the thread rather than dispersed with unassociated posts breaking your reports up. We are all enjoying the images .

I am pleased to say that when members of the 2nd armoured in Europe group visited Maastricht in 2009 it was a super visit with the town centre brought to a standstill for us to park up and allow townspeople to look at the vehicles and have conversations with participants. On that trip we also took the time to visit Eben-Emael fort and the Siegfried line.

Danke Je Wel . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 18 2019.

Hi Ken, thanks for your support. As far as I'm concerned you don't need to refrain from posting. I'll bet there are lots of folks who want to know what you're up to ;). And after all it's your blog/thread so I don't want to overstay my welcome. But since a lot of you like the Then and Nows I will continue.

Rene