Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Searching for Jeeps . . . . . . .

Back in the late 70's and early 80's I spent a fair amount of time looking for Jeeps and following up any leads I was given. A guy used to turn up at local shows and frequently made mention that he had several Jeeps, however he never brought any along. We all wondered if it was typical B-S***. !!, I decided I needed to look deeper into this and actually found out where he lived and made a trip to see what he had.

Well he had five Jeeps sat in his back-yard all just rotting and falling apart, there were two Willys MB models, and three Ford GP models, the three GP's had been early lend-lease supplies to the British army and used by the fledgling airborne forces. There is very little evidence that these were used beyond late 1942 as the newer Willys MB and Ford GPW models were by then in use.

Sadly he had no interest in selling any of the five Jeeps or restore them and I can only surmise that they eventually went to that great breakers yard. These Ford Gp models have now become highly desirable and restored probably worth twice to three times a regular model.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 11 2019.

.post-344-0-60592100-1565538834.jpeg

.post-344-0-28884600-1565538872.jpeg

Hi Erick, you say that you need to catch up on the posts of this thread . . . . . . . . . . .

I will mention why I have been AWOL on posting threads this last month . . . . . . . . . . . :o

most of this year I didn't get the time to get outdoors to catch any sunlight so a month back I decided to try and remedy that before the summer finished. Out in the garden I set up one of my post-war British army folding tables along with a large towel and a pillow and stripped off naked and lay on the table, however I fell into a deep sleep maybe a couple of hours, I woke up with dehydration, massive all over sun-burn and heat-stroke.

Jane arrived at 17h30 and found me incoherent and flaked out, she called the para-medics who revived me and blue-lit me by ambulance to intensive care in Cherbourg. There I spent five days on several types of intravenous drips, antibiotics, glucose and hydration drips and recover my blood pressure which had dropped off the bottom of the chart. I am recovering now but it's been a slow process and an almost fatal one.

Heres my suggestion for anyone sat out in the sun, take along bottles of water and a wind-up or battery operated egg-timer and set the thing to ring every five to ten minutes, better to be woken up than fall asleep be burnt and suffer heat-stroke.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 09 2019.

:o Hi Ken, I had to read your post twice to really grasp what happened. Thankfully you are recovering and thank God Jane got there in time! Take it easy and as far as avoiding dehydration goes as a Brit you should have known better……………. ;)

post-169612-0-42194400-1565550651.jpg

Rene

Just checking in to say hi. Hope everyone is well. I've been attending Spacefest in lovely Tucson, Arizona and visiting friend Frank in the Phoenix area. Manned space flight history is one of my other fascinations. There is a bit of crossover between space and military history. It's been awesome the past couple of days to walk up to and have a chat with an astronaut. We may be heading to the Pima Air museum later today. I'll post pictures of anything I think you may find interesting.

Mikie

Hey Mikie, the Pima Air Museum is a great place to visit, but while you are in Tucson, check out the Museum of the Horse Soldier too.

https://museumofthehorsesoldier.com/

Hi Erick, you say that you need to catch up on the posts of this thread . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

I will mention why I have been AWOL on posting threads this last month . . . . . . . . . . . :o

most of this year I didn't get the time to get outdoors to catch any sunlight so a month back I decided to try and remedy that before the summer finished. Out in the garden I set up one of my post-war British army folding tables along with a large towel and a pillow and stripped off naked and lay on the table, however I fell into a deep sleep maybe a couple of hours, I woke up with dehydration, massive all over sun-burn and heat-stroke.

Jane arrived at 17h30 and found me incoherent and flaked out, she called the para-medics who revived me and blue-lit me by ambulance to intensive care in Cherbourg. There I spent five days on several types of intravenous drips, antibiotics, glucose and hydration drips and recover my blood pressure which had dropped off the bottom of the chart. I am recovering now but it's been a slow process and an almost fatal one.

Heres my suggestion for anyone sat out in the sun, take along bottles of water and a wind-up or battery operated egg-timer and set the thing to ring every five to ten minutes, better to be woken up than fall asleep be burnt and suffer heat-stroke.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 09 2019.

Ken, you are lucky she found you when she did. I dont know about up north but Lyon and the south of France was brutally hot this year! With these temps, its not going to take too long to dehydrate & burn. Glad your feeling better.

Mikie, While in Tucson, you can also check out the stAtue to Pancho Villa. I never figured out why the people there wanted a statue of a murdering terrorist, but it is an attraction, I guess.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tucson.com/news/local/tucson-s-pancho-villa-statue-survives-another-push-to-be/article_d60b0eac-5ac9-5ac5-abc5-679dfbaff9a4.amp.html

General Apathy

:o Hi Ken, I had to read your post twice to really grasp what happened. Thankfully you are recovering and thank God Jane got there in time! Take it easy and as far as avoiding dehydration goes as a Brit you should have known better……………. ;)

attachicon.gifbbnnx6w2wm.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for your thoughts, yes it might have been a different outcome if Jane hadn't arrived to see me . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :mellow:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 12 2019.

General Apathy

Ken, you are lucky she found you when she did. I dont know about up north but Lyon and the south of France was brutally hot this year! With these temps, its not going to take too long to dehydrate & burn. Glad your feeling better.

Hi Erick, I thought a quick ten minutes would be OK, didn't feel tired at all when I set it all up, many thanks for your concerns . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Ken,

That is VERY scary!!! I am so glad you are alright! A heat stroke can happen very quickly and unexpectedly!!

You take it easy!

...Kat

Hi Kat, thank you very much, you are right how quickly things can become serious . . . . . . . . . :(

General Apathy

Oh my goodness Ken! Best wishes and hope you will recover soon.

Hi Mikie, thanks for your wishes for my recovery, I have to say that the mental confusion and sapped strength takes some weeks to get over . . . . it wasn't pleasant for my daughter hearing that I was in intensive care . . . . . . . . . . . :o

Hi Ken - OMG! What a scary time. So glad you are on the mend; take it easy!

Best regards from the UK

Cheers with a bottle of water! Graham

Ken, I am very happy that you have no long term effects from your sunning experience. I feel your pain in more ways than one. I inherited my mothers red haired skin and I sunburn at the drop of a hat. My worst was sun bathing laying on a chair under a canopy in Mexico. Unknown to me the sneaky sun was reflecting off of the sand and hitting me right in my unprotected lily white upper body. After about an hour, I could have changed my name form Robert Law to Robert Lawbster. BTW. My wife and I took a religious pilgrimage to France, Spain and Portugal in May and even then the weather was already shaping up to be a scorcher season. Take care my friend.

Regards,

Bob Law

Hi Gijoe, welcome to this thread. Like Mikie and yourself that is what I did too a while ago. After that I joined up and never left, hahaha.

Rene.

.Hi GiJoe. Two more of the intrepid thread contributors Mikie & Rene, regular readers and posters here on the thread, I hope you join them.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 10 2019.

Heck of a way Ken has of welcoming our newest reader GIJoe, nearly killing himself. Trust us GIJoe, Ken doesn't do that too often. At least that he admits to us. It's safe to hang out here. Mostly.

Mikie

Ken, I am very happy that you have no long term effects from your sunning experience. I feel your pain in more ways than one. I inherited my mothers red haired skin and I sunburn at the drop of a hat. My worst was sun bathing laying on a chair under a canopy in Mexico. Unknown to me the sneaky sun was reflecting off of the sand and hitting me right in my unprotected lily white upper body. After about an hour, I could have changed my name form Robert Law to Robert Lawbster. BTW. My wife and I took a religious pilgrimage to France, Spain and Portugal in May and even then the weather was already shaping up to be a scorcher season. Take care my friend.

Regards,

Bob Law

"After about an hour, I could have changed my name form Robert Law to Robert Lawbster." :lol:

General Apathy

Hi Ken - OMG! What a scary time. So glad you are on the mend; take it easy!

Best regards from the UK

Cheers with a bottle of water! Graham

Hi Graham, I thought I would add my story to the thread as a warning to friends and other forum readers, I did have a PM from a US forum friend who said that an ex-service friend passed away recently from the same symptoms of heat-stroke. :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 13 2019.

General Apathy

Regards,

Bob Law

Hi Bob, good to hear from you again, and thanks for what you had to share with us, it's possible to get sun-burnt and dehydrated even under total cloud cover.

Sounds like you got a good trip together back in May.

General Apathy

Heck of a way Ken has of welcoming our newest reader GIJoe, nearly killing himself. Trust us GIJoe, Ken doesn't do that too often. At least that he admits to us. It's safe to hang out here. Mostly.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well when the day eventually comes I am trusting in several thread contributors to keep it going . . . . . . . . . . . . . :P:lol::lol:

Damn did you notice it's the 13th, thankfully not Friday 13th . . . .

General Apathy

Item returned to America from my auction last May . . . . . . . . . . . .

it's pleasing to know that a 1935 Civilian Conservation Corp jacket from my collection has made it safely back to a good home in the US of A, Erik who has a thread running on the forum regarding his interest in the CCC has acquired the jacket from the auction. Below is the link to his interesting thread and a photo of him doing a reconstruction of him dressed as a CCC member waiting alongside a train track.

It almost seems like fate that he started the thread and I picked up on it just a week or two before the auction and he managed to get registered and won the bid on the jacket.

Well done Erik and happy ownership.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/326254-civilian-conservation-corps-uniforms-handbook/

.post-344-0-67609000-1565712119_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

It's 1935 and and a Civilian Conservation Corp member returns to camp . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-24315800-1565712627_thumb.jpeg

It's 1935 and and a Civilian Conservation Corp member returns to camp . . . . . . . . .

Ken,

awesome story about how you were able to help him get this uniform. This is one of the things I love about this forum. Someone in Normandy helps someone in the U.S. get a uniform. Great story.

I hope you are getting stronger every day. ...Kat

Johan Willaert

it's pleasing to know that a 1935 Civilian Conservation Corp jacket from my collection has made it safely back to a good home in the US of A, Erik who has a thread running on the forum regarding his interest in the CCC has acquired the jacket from the auction. Below is the link to his interesting thread and a photo of him doing a reconstruction of him dressed as a CCC member waiting alongside a train track.

It almost seems like fate that he started the thread and I picked up on it just a week or two before the auction and he managed to get registered and won the bid on the jacket.

Well done Erik and happy ownership.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/326254-civilian-conservation-corps-uniforms-handbook/

Made me get these out... A CCC cabin constructed in Yosemite before WW2... Pictures taken Summer 2017

post-92-0-11531400-1565800961_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-66417600-1565800967_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-11531400-1565800961_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-66417600-1565800967_thumb.jpg

In way of a get well card for Ken, and for the enjoyment of all the jeep folks here, I figured I'd post some pics of a couple of jeeps I spotted at the Pima Air Museum this weekend. You folks will probably be able to tell more about these jeeps in about 30 seconds than I could if I studied them for a month. Here is the first one.

post-2687-0-20458800-1565811913_thumb.jpg