Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Ken, at the appropriate moment I will inform you about my birthday…..I like Sherman tanks B) …..I haven't rebuild one, though, but many years ago I did actually buid one ^_^

attachicon.gifSAM_6915a.jpg

All kidding aside: nice gesture

Rene

Hi Rene, well happy birthday and heres a Sherman card for the occasion . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 06 2019.

.post-344-0-58165000-1562404495.jpeg

General Apathy

Dangers of metal detecting. . . . . . . . . . . .

this week an eighteen year old man using a metal detector lost a finger off one hand and was peppered with fragments from an object he found while metal detecting. :o

.post-344-0-49103300-1562412494_thumb.jpeg

this week an eighteen year old man using a metal detector lost a finger off one hand and was peppered with fragments from an object he found while metal detecting. :o

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1e39.jpeg

Ouch………..and he will be confronted by another form of metal detecting when he tries to board a plane……......………………….

Rene

Hey Ken,

Its been a while since ive read this post or been on fr that mater. I gotta say, the 75th anniversary of D-Day looked phenomenal. A yank really appreciates what you guys do over there.

Dave

Hi Rene, well happy birthday and heres a Sherman card for the occasion . . . . . . . . :lol:

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_1e2d.jpeg

Sent

Hi Rene, hope you will Grant me some Lee-way and forgive me for not wishing you a happy birthday sooner. All the best to you!

Mikie

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_1e39.jpeg

Oh man, that's terrible. Be careful out there!

General Apathy

Hey Ken,

Its been a while since ive read this post or been on fr that mater. I gotta say, the 75th anniversary of D-Day looked phenomenal. A yank really appreciates what you guys do over there.

Dave

Hi David, welcome home, good to hear from you again, thanks for the compliment on the events over here, there really is a great respect for the events of 1944 and all the American servicemen who fought through France at that time.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 08 2019.

General Apathy

Oh man, that's terrible. Be careful out there!

Hi Mikie, my girlfriend owns a considerable size farm and over the last ten years she has turned up a fair amount of rusted ordnance, I really fancy searching for the Garand clips that she sometime finds, I have no desire to be messing with any of the rusted grenades that have been uncovered.

General Apathy

By the way, this is showing up as page 601! Way to go everyone!

Hi Mikie, well we have passed the 600 page mark and to record that fact I am adding an unusual ' Then & Now '

So this is different in that I am starting with the ' Now ' image featuring two well known spots that are adjacent to each other. then followed with the two images taken at these spots.

.post-344-0-16342600-1562584520_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Then & Now Normandy . . . . . . . . Cherbourg

So this is different in that I am starting with the ' Now ' image featuring two well known spots that are adjacent to each other. then followed with the two images taken at these spots.

.post-344-0-94327200-1562584711.jpeg

General Apathy

Then & Now Normandy . . . . . . . . Cherbourg

.post-344-0-55303700-1562584831_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Good but sad photos Ken. I can relate to these Now & Then shots. It's kind of how my brain works lately.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, yes the violent deaths of any person or soldier is very sad.

Here's a street shot showing the wartime position of the two images I added few a posts back , the body on the pavement is visible on the mid right of this photo, and the German on the steps is a few yards away.

.post-344-0-10026900-1562624187.jpeg

Hi Mikie, my girlfriend owns a considerable size farm and over the last ten years she has turned up a fair amount of rusted ordnance, I really fancy searching for the Garand clips that she sometime finds, I have no desire to be messing with any of the rusted grenades that have been uncovered.

The war is casualty count is still going up. Didn't stop on May 8, 1945. Or November 11, 1918 for that matter.

General Apathy

New Normandy sign . . . . . . .

This new sign has appeared on the road between Deadmans Corner museum and the town of Carentan. This is the route into Carentan taken by the 3rd battalion, 502nd PIR, I01st AB DIV. The fields either side of this route seen to the left of the sign were flooded and so they fought along this road for several days. The 502nd lost many men passing into Carentan this way across blown bridges and executing Coles bayonet charge capturing the Ingouf farm.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 10 2019.

.post-344-0-41889800-1562760813_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

New Normandy sign . . . . . . .

This new sign has appeared on the road between Deadmans Corner museum and the town of Carentan, this is near Number 2 bridge shown on this map, the Ingouf farm is lower centre of the photograph and Carentan is off to the bottom right of the photograph. Utah beach is several kilometres off the top of the map behind Ste Come du Mont, the church at Ste Come was shelled by the Navy as it had an unobstructed view of the landings at Utah beach and being used as an observation post.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 10 2019.

.post-344-0-22789400-1562761576_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken

That is really interesting additional information from you as always, and very well displayed signage.

Sorry I didn't see you in Normandy. It was rather busy there!! Hope to catch up at a less busy time!

Cheers Graham

General Apathy

Hi Ken

That is really interesting additional information from you as always, and very well displayed signage.

Sorry I didn't see you in Normandy. It was rather busy there!! Hope to catch up at a less busy time!

Cheers Graham

Hi Graham, yes a great pity that we didn't get to meet, it was quite chaotic trying to make any sort of arrangements just to have a coffee or a beer with anyone.

thanks for the kind words on the posts here, heres a 1944 image of the Ingouf Farm, thankfully post war road widening avoided demolishing it and it still stands today, in the following post will be a photo I took last night while meeting with friends from Aberystwyth ( Wales ) .

This photograph was taken from the direction of the current monument to the Cole bayonet charge, Carentan is off to the left of the photo. Easy Company 506th entered Carentan further along the track to the right of the the farmhouse. From the site of the museum at Utah beach to this spot is approximately 11 miles, in a modern car today this journey would take 20 minutes. Due to the tenacity of the defending Germans it took until the 11th / 12th to capture this farm on the outskirts of Carentan, hence the title of Purple Heart Lane.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 11 2019.

.post-344-0-84704100-1562842289_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

The Ingouf farm taken 10 July 2019 . . . . . . . . .

This shot encomapasses the description plaque stood several yards in front of the old farmhouse and the old farmhouse in the background.

.post-344-0-85470300-1562842961_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

This shot of Cole stood in front of the farm in 1944 taken from the description plaque.

.post-344-0-19865500-1562843130_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

This shot of taken from the description plaque explains some of the situation before and during the bayonet charge.

.post-344-0-95212000-1562843346.jpeg

General Apathy

A shot of a second plaque stood in the side garden of the farmhouse, I hope that some sort of historical cover is given to this farm to prevent its demolition

.post-344-0-55682800-1562843617_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

A shot of a second plaque stood in the side garden of the farmhouse, I hope that some sort of historical cover is given to this farm to prevent its demolition

.post-344-0-91809900-1562843720_thumb.jpg