Norman D. Landing

bilko1

River find . . . . . . . . .

A friend fishing pulled this up out of a local river, it's hard to totally identify due to missing parts and the additional long tube attached to the side, it may well be from an aircraft and not an infantry weapon.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 18 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1aed.jpeg

Holy carp! What kind of bait was he using?

Ken,

I love the "then and now" pictures. In some of the now pictures, it seems like I can feel the ghosts even thru pictures. I can't imagine what it must be like to walk the streets. I really appreciate everything you do to show us so many amazing sights.

I know exactly what you mean about the Ferris wheel. It seems like some people well do anything to make a dime rather than appreciate history.

I love the Laurel and Hardy connection to your house!!

...Kat

75th anniversary image . . . . . . . . . .

After visiting or living in Normandy for the last forty years or so then I have seen things change, and one of the changes I dislike is the current trend of turning anniversary week into a carnival, this is a shot of the Ferris wheel in Ste Mere Eglise . . . . . . .

for most of the forty years it has been about the veterans and paying respect to the deeds of 1944, sadly we are possibly seeing the last of the visits by veterans but that doesn't mean we have to lose respect.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 18 2019.

.attachicon.gif20190610_133126.jpeg

Good Afternoon,

100% agree I was also disappointed by the amount of dressed/costumed visitors (I don't fully support it but it doesn't bother me when it's well done and accurate) who just walked around boozed up with extra beers in each pocket... the worst part were the ones holding an arty shell casing with a plastic cup at the top from which they drank the beer...

Sad!

Moving on swiftly!

Thank you very much for the lovely pictures, Great place to live and re-discover every now and then I suppose.

Many thanks

JEB

Just thought I'd mention here that on D+5 of the other June 1944 invasion, my Dad landed on Saipan 75 years ago today. He was in the thick of the fighting there for well over the next month. Dad's been gone since 1986. He rarely talked much about the fighting he was in, but kept me spellbound with little bits of his adventures in the army. Wish to goodness I had written them down.

RustyCanteen

HI Ken,

Excellent 'then & now' photos of Normandy. I really enjoyed the Laurel & Hardy story and pieces from your collection.

Regards,

RC

RustyCanteen

Just thought I'd mention here that on D+5 of the other June 1944 invasion, my Dad landed on Saipan 75 years ago today. He was in the thick of the fighting there for well over the next month. Dad's been gone since 1986. He rarely talked much about the fighting he was in, but kept me spellbound with little bits of his adventures in the army. Wish to goodness I had written them down.

Hi Mikie,

It's never too late to write down what you remember. Saipan was a tough fight, so your dad really must have seen some things he never forgot.

Johan Willaert

One of 4 WW2 US Army Bicycles we rode in Normandy..

My 1943 Westfield Columbia at the National Guard monument built atop a German bunker on Omaha Beach, 6-6-2019

post-92-0-23785100-1561016824_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

This is Normandy too

In French they say: 'En Normandie il fait beau plusieurs fois par jour' which means the weather is beautiful several times a day in Normandy...

post-92-0-12037500-1561017542_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Spotted for sale at one of last weeks militaria shows . . . . . . . .

A 1940 dated German fuel can converted to a bucket, question is when, during the war or converted after the war when things were in short supply . . . . . . . . . fun item ! !

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17 2019.

.post-344-0-94423900-1561021455.jpeg

Johan Willaert

The newly opened part of Dead Man's Corner museum saw the return of the Col Vandervoort mannequin from the Mike De Trez collection

This set-up was first displayed in 2004 during the 'Greatest Generation Memorial Exhibition' in Ste Mere Eglise (see http://www.theliberator.be/ggme.htm ) and was the displayed in the La Gleize museum in the Belgian Ardennes

Last year the La Gleize museum was taken over and a lot of the 82AB Normandy related items returned to Normandy

Vandervoort was a Bn Commander in the 505th Parachute Inf Regt and became famous after John Wayne's prtrayal in 'the Longest Day'...

post-92-0-76351200-1561022389_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

A rather nicely restored Dodge WC64 KD Ambulance at Ste Mere Eglise's vehicle camp...

While designed from late 1943 onwards and a huge improvement on the WC54 model, the WC64 came too late to see action in the ETO in 1944-45... Many were used in the immediate post-WW2 era and during the Korean War..

post-92-0-59624100-1561029273_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Dodge WC54 and Halftrack with Tactical Markings for the 29th Division in Normandy...

I'd like to think I was instrumental in getting these markings known in the MV world… ^_^

post-92-0-57612000-1561030290_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

A newly erected monument honoring the pilots and crew from the RAF's Belgian Squadrons at Crepon, roughly halfway between Creully and Arromanches...

post-92-0-07194000-1561031105_thumb.jpg

Spotted for sale at one of last weeks militaria shows . . . . . . . .

A 1940 dated German fuel can converted to a bucket, question is when, during the war or converted after the war when things were in short supply . . . . . . . . . fun item ! !

Ken,

Very interesting fuel can! I always love to see how items are recycled over there!

What is the wheel behind the can?

...Kat

Dodge WC54 and Halftrack with Tactical Markings for the 29th Division in Normandy...

I'd like to think I was instrumental in getting these markings known in the MV world ^_^

Johan,

So many great pictures! I love to see the bicycles. It makes me want one.

I am curious about the step on this ambulance. I have never seen one painted red and white.

...Kat

Thx, steps were painted red and white because they fold up and attach in front of the red cross on the doors...

Ahh..Makes sense!

It looks like you had a great time with friends! Thanks again for the pictures!...Kat