Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert

Another breathtaking display of Ranger gear at Cricqueville near the Pointe du Hoc...

Several original Ranger marked helmets and over a dozen named Ranger uniforms on display...

post-92-0-07110200-1560348747_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Will post more photos as I sort them out... Took about 750 photos in Normandy last week...

Cheers,

Johan

Hi Johan, 750 photographs, ' you da man ' . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

enjoying what you are posting, please continue 720 left to go . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 12 2019.

Some of the vehicles were not fully restored... ;-)

A little duct tape, a dab of paint here and there...good to go!

There are a number of nicely restored planes onboard the nearby USS Hornet museum. But last time I was up there, in the back of the hangar there was a "bone pile" of old junkers that were in line for restoration or used for parts. I must say I enjoyed peeking at that as much as the shiny restorations. Even spotted a wreck of an SBD Dauntless in there! Love those planes.

Mikie

When in Normandy, do as the Normans do... ;-)

Wow! My wonderful wife Ana LOVES seafood. Think I'll show her this picture and I bet she will book a flight over there for the 76th anniversary!

Mikie

Johan Willaert

Wow! My wonderful wife Ana LOVES seafood. Think I'll show her this picture and I bet she will book a flight over there for the 76th anniversary!

No excuse for not being there next year... ;-)

post-92-0-51512800-1560357629_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-48554400-1560357636_thumb.jpg

Simply amazing pictures!! I love all of them! Thank you so much for posting these pictures. It just have been amazing to see all of this in person.

...Kat

Johan Willaert

Simply amazing pictures!! I love all of them! Thank you so much for posting these pictures. It just have been amazing to see all of this in person.

...Kat

Thx!

Hi folks,

Back from Normandy too, I thought I’d chip in and show a brief view of the memorials we attended.

Mods or General Apathy, if you feel this is in the wrong place, pleace move where appropriate or let me know if I can help!

We arrived early Friday Morning and drove straight to Sainteny where a memorial was held for the town’s liberation. Surprisingly 5 vets attended this ceremony, Two from the 4th ID, 3 from the 83rd. Great men, full of beans, a real pleasure to share this moment with them. We must have been 30 in all, very quite compared to Carentan or St Mère! Unfortunately, I didn’t have battery to record the event…

The next day we attended the Gueutteville Ceremonie for Father Ignatius Maternowski (Captain, 1st battalion 508th PIR). Extremely emotional memorial with Colour guards, two US Army Chaplains, 2 Franciscan preachers and the last surviving witness of Father Maternowski’s death (Loui.s Marion. seen below with two of his daughters and wife). The Franciscan preachers are trying to canonize Farther Maternowski and are capturing as much information as possible on his action on D-Day. As a token of there appreciation they handed to the mayor of Gueutteville the flag that has been flying over the Franciscan capitol building in Washington DC as well as a 508thFlag signed by an Officer that served with Farther Maternowski during WW2 (didn’t get the vet’s name…). As the officials were about to lay the wreath, 2 Joint Tactical Air Command USAF personnel arranged for a fly over by 3 DC130… (only got the last one, it was so unexpected!) Extraordinary.

111.jpg

213.jpg

315.jpg

4_10.png

511.jpg

611.png

1010.png

910.png

1110.jpg

1310.png

final10.jpg

For those interested the last picture has been resized for online purposes, but the original allows for clear reading of the right hand side of the plaque (details about Father Maternowski's life service and last moments) in English.

The second event I had the opportunity to attend was in Hemevez, where the germans murdered 7 paratroopers from 1stBattalion HQ, 507thPIR. I am yet to upload the pictures and resize them. Hope this first set helped!

JEB

No excuse for not being there next year... ;-)

I showed this to my boss, another serious seafood lover. Heck with next year, he's ready to hop a plane right now!

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi folks,

Back from Normandy too, I thought I’d chip in and show a brief view of the memorials we attended.

Mods or General Apathy, if you feel this is in the wrong place, pleace move where appropriate or let me know if I can help!

We arrived early Friday Morning and drove straight to Sainteny where a memorial was held for the town’s liberation. Surprisingly 5 vets attended this ceremony, Two from the 4th ID, 3 from the 83rd. Great men, full of beans, a real pleasure to share this moment with them. We must have been 30 in all, very quite compared to Carentan or St Mère! Unfortunately, I didn’t have battery to record the event…

The next day we attended the Gueutteville Ceremonie for Father Ignatius Maternowski (Captain, 1st battalion 508th PIR). Extremely emotional memorial with Colour guards, two US Army Chaplains, 2 Franciscan preachers and the last surviving witness of Father Maternowski’s death (Loui.s Marion. seen below with two of his daughters and wife). The Franciscan preachers are trying to canonize Farther Maternowski and are capturing as much information as possible on his action on D-Day. As a token of there appreciation they handed to the mayor of Gueutteville the flag that has been flying over the Franciscan capitol building in Washington DC as well as a 508thFlag signed by an Officer that served with Farther Maternowski during WW2 (didn’t get the vet’s name…). As the officials were about to lay the wreath, 2 Joint Tactical Air Command USAF personnel arranged for a fly over by 3 DC130… (only got the last one, it was so unexpected!) Extraordinary.

Hi Jeb, thanks for the images, pleased to have them included for all the readers of this thread, post whatever you have.

Indian motorcycle belonging to one of the friends staying with me.

.post-344-0-11919600-1560378431_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Militaria stands at the Carentan bourse militaire show . . . . . . . .

several cases of wartime tinned goods on one of the stands at the show, uncertain if these were US Army rations or supplies for the local populace . . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-69512300-1560378880_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

C-47's parachute drop on the outskirts of Carentan . . . . . . . . .

We attempted to get near Carentan to see the round-canopy drop from genuine C-47 aircraft, the police blocked the black-top routes into Carentan, however as we had Jeeps we took to dirt roads and got closer to the drop than if we had stayed behind the police cordons.

Thirteen C-47's circled over several times, the first time to drop a test rig to see wind speed and directions., once again for the first drop and again for the second drop, the distinctive shape of the C-47's can be seen in this shot .

.post-344-0-24983400-1560379441_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Nice haul. That shovel cover looks kinda familiar...

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I thought that, I wonder where he got that from . . . . . . . :huh::lol:

General Apathy

75th Anniversary week find . . . . . . . . . .

well this is the first dated milk-churn I have found in twelve years, whether its right or wrong it was for no-money at ten euros ??

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 14 2019.

.post-344-0-03475600-1560461583_thumb.jpeg

75th Anniversary week find . . . . . . . . . .

well this is the first dated milk-churn I have found in twelve years, whether its right or wrong it was for no-money at ten euros ??

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 14 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1ab5.jpeg

great find!

C-47's parachute drop on the outskirts of Carentan . . . . . . . . .

We attempted to get near Carentan to see the round-canopy drop from genuine C-47 aircraft, the police blocked the black-top routes into Carentan, however as we had Jeeps we took to dirt roads and got closer to the drop than if we had stayed behind the police cordons.

Thirteen C-47's circled over several times, the first time to drop a test rig to see wind speed and directions., once again for the first drop and again for the second drop, the distinctive shape of the C-47's can be seen in this shot .

.attachicon.gifIMG_0363.jpg

Wonderful! Still flying after 75 years. Tough old birds! While driving home from Sacramento 2 weekends ago, we were passing a small airfield in the middle of nowhere. Right there close to the fence was a DC-3! I almost went off the road craning my neck as we passed by. We saw some skydivers in the area on the way up, so am guessing the plane is part of a jump commercial school or something.

Mikie