Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Bad news from the celebrations . . . . . . . .

this week one of my long-time Jeeping friends had his shovel and axe stolen from his Jeep, the securing straps were cut and the items taken, sadly a bad memory for him of the 75th anniversary.

Weird how times have changed during our years of owning Jeeps, I have a cable padlock through the handle of the shovel and the bracket of the axe, another cable through the handles of the Jerrycan attached to the backseat securing both, and another padlock through the hood to the grill, my joke with friends is that I also worry about the patina of the Jeep being stolen.

About ten years or so ago during an anniversary trip in Belgium a friends M-8 armoured car and a Jeep were stolen overnight fortunately recovered from a truck heading into Eastern Europe . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 10 2019.

Ken,

I am so sorry to hear about the theft of some items! It makes it so people no longer want to display their items. I think it was last year that I heard about some items stolen from inside a C-47. The group who owns the plane has decided to no longer allow tours thru the inside of the plane. It only takes one thief to ruin it for the 100's of innocent people.

...Kat

Ken,

I meant to ask you a question. How do the people get their motorcycles, trucks, etc from the U.S. there for the D-Day celebration? Do they just ship them on a barge?

...Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

I meant to ask you a question. How do the people get their motorcycles, trucks, etc from the U.S. there for the D-Day celebration? Do they just ship them on a barge?

...Kat

Hi Kat.

generally vehicles are packed into shipping containers and transported by ship across the Atlantic, and returned in the same way, some people however ship them one way and sell them in Europe rather than pay the shipping back.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 11 2019.

General Apathy

Ken riding my 1942 Huffman made US Army bicycle at Sainte Marie du Mont, Normandy last Saturday...

Hi Johan, many thanks for posting the images you took, I hope you have some others to post of the many vehicles that were around here for the 75th.

General Apathy

The ' Miguel ' storm that landed in Europe during this 75th anniversary, here is a shot of the empty square in Ste Mere Eglise on Sunday 9th June.

.post-344-0-36365500-1560257255_thumb.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, many thanks for posting the images you took, I hope you have some others to post of the many vehicles that were around here for the 75th.

Will post more photos as I sort them out... Took about 750 photos in Normandy last week...

Cheers,

Johan

Ken riding my 1942 Huffman made US Army bicycle at Sainte Marie du Mont, Normandy last Saturday...

Great photo! Glad to see you all were having a great time!

Love to see more photos when you get a chance!

Mikie

I agree with Mikie! Great bicycle! Looking forward to more photos!

...Kat

Hi Kat.

generally vehicles are packed into shipping containers and transported by ship across the Atlantic, and returned in the same way, some people however ship them one way and sell them in Europe rather than pay the shipping back.

Ken,

Very interesting that they sell the vehicles rather than ship them back. I wonder if there is more interest over there or do they think it is just not worth shipping back?

No wonder you always post pictures of so many great vehicles!! Hahaha!!

...Kat

Ken riding my 1942 Huffman made US Army bicycle at Sainte Marie du Mont, Normandy last Saturday…

Hi Ken, since you are also wearing dust goggles on a bike I'm assuming you are reaching the same speeds (or thereabouts) as per Jeep? :P

Rene

Our ride to a beach picnic in Normandy last week...

Woohoo! Now that is some kind sweet of beach bunny! Always loved those half-tracks!

Did you have 75 year-old army rations for the picnic? Anything else wouldn't have been authentic!

Mikie.

The ' Miguel ' storm that landed in Europe during this 75th anniversary, here is a shot of the empty square in Ste Mere Eglise on Sunday 9th June.

.attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

Just a little sprinkle.

Mikie

Johan Willaert

On Wednesday 5th June, we teamed up with a couple of Belgian friends in Normandy for a day long Half Track ride through the Normandy bocage and towards the beach in the Utah Beach sector...

A great day was had by all, drinks and food along the way...

Column was headed by Dutchman Piet in his M20 Armored Car... and in the photo below I was riding shotgun in an M3A1 White Halftrack...

post-92-0-52269000-1560326078_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Actually we took 4 WW2 era US Army bicycles over to Normandy... for fun and of course to avoid traffic jams and be able to get through the Gendarme guarded road blocks on the 6th...

Here we are before heading out to Omaha Beach on the 6th... Marine 1, Ospreys and Black Hawks were hovering overhead as we rode over 20 miles along the coastline...

post-92-0-25949600-1560327274_thumb.jpg

post-92-0-79861100-1560327481_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

As Ken has pointed out before, many shops had their windows decorated in an appropriate theme for the D-Day week...

Here's one from a small supermarket in Grandcamp-Maisy just West of Omaha Beach...

post-92-0-36471300-1560328043_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Some re-enactors went the extra mile...

326th Airborne Medical Company Field Hospital display at the original location at Chateau La Colombière in Hiesville off Utah Beach...

post-92-0-98902100-1560328196_thumb.jpg