Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Impressive jacket with some history to it, Owen. I don't know much about Denison smocks, but have read a fair bit about Browning. Thanks for showing us. I did enjoy seeing it.

Mikie

General Apathy

754a9955d569044df9b8568891358fc0.jpg

Here’s Monty wearing one

Enjoy

Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, great jacket, quite rare find even back in the 70s & 80s, I remember only two friends having this model.

As for the aircraft its a Miles Messenger . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 26 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Everyone interested in the aircraft behind Monty heres a restored one at an airshow in Australia painted in Monty's markings..

.post-344-0-23499300-1558860299_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Carentan artist at work . . . . . . . . .

Driving through Carentan two days ago I caught the artist at work completing a wall painting. It's across the road from the location of a large American field hospital built on the outskirts of Carentan on the road out of town heading towards Isigny sur Mer. The lower edge of the painting depicts the tented field hospital.

.post-344-0-38357000-1558864277_thumb.jpeg

Driving through Carentan two days ago I caught the artist at work completing a wall painting. It's across the road from the location of a large American field hospital built on the outskirts of Carentan on the road out of town heading towards Isigny sur Mer. The lower edge of the painting depicts the tented field hospital.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_19b8.jpeg

wow thats fantastic

17161947be4171dfd83fe13114eea233.jpg

Makers label and the officer knits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, great jacket! I like the maroon coloured zipper textile. Nice (airborne) touch.

Rene

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_19b8.jpeg

Great mural (at first glance it reminds a bit of Belfast but without the underlying political messages)

Rene

General Apathy

C-47's getting ready for Normandy . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Salvage Sailor

attachicon.gifforum_D...._2011__1.jpgforum_D._Zane_Schlemmer_June_2011__2.jpg

My 7th June 2011.

This morning I had an arrangement to meet up with John McCullough from the West Texas Silent Wings museum, well John was about ten minutes late for which he apologised, however maybe that ten late at our meeting saved us from being ten minutes too early at another location.

Let me explain that ten minutes difference, some time after our initial meeting we visited a monument to the 508th at Chef du Pont as we stood there discussing the action at this bridge location a small French registered car drew up and out stepped a rather slim gentleman wearing an M-42 jump jacket with insignia and a reunion garrison cap.

We immediately engaged in conversation with this gentleman who is D. Zane Schlemmer 508 PIR. so much was said, asked and answered it was incredible, John recorded most of the conversation on tape.

Now here was the living explanation for the road name that appears a little further along the road from the monument, I have passed this road name many times in my three years living here that has no explanation for the name, so I intend to rectify this problem as soon as I can and add his 508 PIR service to the road sign.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 7 June 2011

Zane Schlemmer, 508th PIR 82nd Abn Div. in Holland on June 16th, 1977

Zane Schlemmer 06JUNE1977 002.jpg

My own preparations for the D-Day anniversary is to re-read some of the classics. I've got The Longest Day in one room, and Currahee! in another room. And a couple of others on standby.

General Apathy

Zane Schlemmer, 508th PIR 82nd Abn Div. in Holland on June 16th, 1977

Hi Craig, thank for adding this 1977 shot of Zane, I have to say that I was shocked when you revived my old post about meeting Zane, it was back in 2011, thats eight years ago, I must have blinked since then. Sadly he left my house in happy confidence of visiting again the following year in 2012 but we didn't get to meet again after that last visit.

Fond memories of a very friendly and hospitable gentleman . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-47209100-1558946651.jpg

General Apathy

That mural is fantastic!

Hi Terry, talking with the artist we said that we recognised the face on the right as one of our local French WWII enthusiasts. He laughed and said that he thought Jean had a typical French resistant appearance to his face, he then said that for the female medic he had used his girlfriends face, the other faces are relevant American figures from the period.

General Apathy

I thought you guys would like it !

owen

Hi Owen, I never managed to get that particular model of Dennison smock, I just got a couple of the regular ones, still hiding somewhere in a carton in the ' Shoebox ' . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

My own preparations for the D-Day anniversary is to re-read some of the classics. I've got The Longest Day in one room, and Currahee! in another room. And a couple of others on standby.

Hi Mikie, many thanks for the reports you have been adding, happy reading, sorry that you won't make it here to see the anniversary in person.